Categories > Original > Romance > Fruta de la pasión

Ch 11 - The blacksmith

by Hetep-Heres 0 reviews

While Alejandro is coming back to the pueblo empty-handed, the inward reflexions of a Los Angelino about what transpired of the current situation

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor - Published: 2016-01-03 - 1341 words

0Unrated
Decidedly, Don Alejandro grumbled inwardly, this day was going from bad to worse! Now his mare had lost a horseshoe!

He let out a heavy sigh: for now he would have to go back to the pueblo and let the patrol carry on with the search party without him... And while he would lead Dulcinea to the blacksmith farrier, Leonor was God knows where, probably wondering why her father hasn't saved her yet!

Frustrated, he tightened his grip on the reins, feeling that his faithful mount was failing him at the worst time. Walking beside her on the way back to the pueblo, he urged her perhaps a bit too fast for a horse that was lacking a shoe.

The pueblo... The soldiers did only ride through it since the morning, without taking the time to stop there. No one would know there about Leonor's abduction, or even about her parentage. On the one hand Alejandro felt relieved: he could hardly bear the pitying looks he had been receiving since Gilberto's death, he really didn't want to feel these same look on him about his daughter's kidnapping: even in hardship, he still had his pride.

But on the other hand, if word about Leonor's abduction ran around the pueblo, there would be a great chance that it came to Zorro's ears... And Alejandro certainly could do with some help from the masked fox: he trusted him far more than de Soto and all his men to find and save his little girl.

Alejandro decided that after a stop at the blacksmith and a short prayer at the church – which certainly couldn't hurt and wouldn't go amiss – he'd go to Victoria and ask for her help: she and her tavern were the best way to spread information and have a message conveyed to Zorro. In his current grief and worry he couldn't care less about confessing his past misconduct to her, or to anyone for that matter. His priority was Leonor's safety. He didn't even think anymore about reputations or people's opinion.

He looked again at Dulcinea, resenting her a bit against his better judgement: why did you have to fail me now?

Sighing, he quickened his pace even more.

z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z

Guillermo Muñoz, blacksmith by trade, could tell Don Alejandro was in a foul mood. He hardly uttered a couple of words, explaining that he wanted him to shoe his mare as fast as possible and that he would pay him twice the price for the service.

The man looked flustered and angered, and Guillermo knew better than dealing with a visibly angry Alejandro de la Vega. He therefore got to the task silently, not asking him anything, without even trying to make small talk.

And honestly, Guillermo could understand the older man's mood: yes, if himself had a son like his... Poor Don Alejandro! He looked tired, distressed and even worn-out. It was as though the man had aged ten years in one day.

Yes, poor Don Alejandro, indeed... Not only was his son a cowardly weakling, but now he had also disgraced the name of the de la Vegas by fathering a bastard – and having it now known to everyone in Los Angeles! Well, Guillermo reflected, Don Diego was far from being the only man guilty of such a lapse, and probably even here in the pueblo among caballeros and peons alike, but at least they weren't found out! Yes, bedding women was a pleasant game you could play as long as you didn't get caught...

Out of the corner of his eye, Guillermo saw another rider arrive in the pueblo. He took a better look: well well well, talking about the devil... He recognised Esperanza, Don Diego's mare; but she was mounted by the very woman who came the day before by the stagecoach! The mother of the bastard girl!

Unsurprisingly, Don Alejandro hurried to her. Guillermo couldn't hear was they told each other, but the old man became even more upset. She tiredly dismounted and fastened her horse to the hitching post; her shoulders were slumped.

She made a few steps across the plaza, accompanied by Don Alejandro. Suddenly they weren't out of earshot anymore and Guillermo could catch a few words of what they were saying. He pretended to be very focused on his task, not looking at them, but curious to learn more about the tricky situation Don Diego had put the de la Vegas in, he concentrated on his hearing:

"Yes I know this man," Don Alejandro was telling her. "Well, sort of..." he added.

She said something the blacksmith couldn't catch.

"No, I don't know who he is. No one does. But if he knows, then there is hope."

"I need more than hope," she answered. "I need facts."

Don Alejandro murmured something Guillermo didn't hear.

The woman let out a heavy sigh.

"Hmm yes..." she finally reluctantly let out. "Yes I suppose you're right. That's the only thing we can do for now anyway... I'm heading to the church."

She certainly could, the blacksmith thought. A woman who had strayed... a woman with an illegitimate child... yes she certainly could do with some repentance: she had much to atone for... And anyway, now everyone would be expecting Don Diego and her to finally do the right thing and get married. As soon as possible. In fact, they should have done this years ago!

Yes, they'd better seek the padre right now. But why hadn't Don Diego come with her? Was his absence what had outraged Don Alejandro when he helped the woman dismount?

Surely his son wouldn't refuse to marry the woman he had disgraced, right? Granted, it was common knowledge here in Los Angeles that Don Diego wasn't much into marriage, but considering the circumstances, he now didn't have his say in the matter anymore: he simply had to marry the girl.

The blacksmith sneaked a glance at them. Shocked, he finally noticed her untidy state of dress: she was dusty as though she had rolled on the ground, her hair was rather dishevelled and, to top it all, her skirt was rumpled and torn in at least two places. His eyes went wide: what on earth did just happen between her and Don Diego?

And just where was he right now?

Stunned, Guillermo also noticed on her cheek the distinct mark of a reddish bruise as she passed by his forge. Surely... surely Don Diego didn't...

He wouldn't... would he? Admittedly Diego de la Vega wasn't the bravest man in Alta California, far from it; and contrary to what people had thought for a long time, he obviously wasn't the most virtuous either, after all... But still... he wouldn't sink so low as to lay a hand on a woman who wasn't his wife – yet.

Don Diego, of all people! Don Diego, who claimed he despised violence and wouldn't hurt a fly! Something didn't ring quite right, here...

Guillermo turned his attention back to Dulcinea's hoof. He heard Don Alejandro's voice tell her, still sounding grim:

"I'll join you in the church in five minutes. I hope Padre Benitez is there, but first I have to go back to the blacksmith..."

Guillermo's mind worked full speed: the padre... Don Diego's absence... Don Alejandro joining her... to the church... to talk to Padre Benitez...

Oh, Madre de Dios! It suddenly dawned on him: Don Alejandro would have to stand in for his failing son, and make an honest woman out of this fallen girl himself!

Yes, in the old man's mind that was probably the only remaining way to fix the situation and to save what could still be salvaged of the de la Vegas' good name... All this because his good-for-nothing of a son publicly shirked his responsibilities and wouldn't act like a man even for only once in his useless life!

Poor, poor Don Alejandro indeed. What had he done to deserve such a failure and a disgrace of a son?
Sign up to rate and review this story