Categories > Original > Romance > Fruta de la pasión

Ch 17 - San Diego

by Hetep-Heres 0 reviews

Alejandro remembers his earlier meetings with Araceli before their affair

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2016-01-29 - 2071 words

0Unrated
Alejandro remembered...

z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z

"Yes, Felipe, I miss him a lot."

The little boy then pointed at him and made a sign Alejandro didn't understand. Felipe insisted, and then made another sign. After some difficulty, the man finally understood what the child meant:

"If I'm bored?"

Felipe nodded, happy and relieved to see that he was finally understood.

"No, I don't really have time to be bored, you know..."

Another sign from the boy.

"Well, I have much to do. You know Felipe, that's a lot of work to run a rancho as big as this one! Yesterday I went to an auction to buy some cattle, this morning I went to see the tenants, in the early afternoon I had a meeting with my head vaquero, then I had to arrange for a batch of cowhide to be sent and exported to Spain; and tomorrow I have to set off very early on a trip to San Diego to conduct some business deals there. Thankfully, when Diego comes back from Spain he'll help me in these matters, we can share the burden!"

Felipe made a sign, counting on his fingers.

"Yes, it's still four years before he comes back, I know. By this time, you will have grown taller, my young friend!"

The child had a large smile.

"And I will have grown older," Don Alejandro sighed. "And grey-haired..." he added, making a face.

On the day after, he had an early start: it was a good two days ride to San Diego. He stopped half way in San Juan Capistrano to spend the night there, and finally made it to San Diego late in the evening, quite raddled. Once at the inn, after a copious meal he went straight to bed.

The morning after he visited his lawyer: out of sheer courtesy, first, like every time he happened to be in San Diego, but also because he had a few matters to see with him about some piece of land he had recently bought near San Luis Rey.

"And did you come all the way here to attend to that, Don Alejandro?" the man asked him. "Not that I don't enjoy the pleasure of your company, but we could have done this through mail."

"No, no, I have other things to attend to here in San Diego. I'd like to have a look at Jorge Alvarez's horses. They're said to be the most beautiful ones of Alta California, but I hate to blindly buy horses. I know I should trust people, delegate and not do everything myself, but as far as horses are concerned I can't help myself."

"Well, you won't be disappointed, he has some truly amazing stallions and mares!"

"Really? Good! Oh, and I also have some business transaction to discuss with the Ximénez Company. And I'll have to meet with the Vasquez brothers: the price they've been selling me wine lately has become almost outrageous! If they want me to keep them as the main suppliers of my cellar, they'd better have a good explanation, or I may trade with the Ximénezes for that too..."

"Good luck with that! Both firms are run by tough businesspeople..." the lawyer replied. "Now tell me about your son; have you received recent news from Don Diego?"

"Yes indeed, and in his letters he is very enthusiastic! About Spain, about his studies, about the friends he made there, about the life in Madrid..."

"Tell me about that!" the man said with a knowing smile. "Madrid can be an enticing city for a young man who enjoys the pleasures of life... Don't we know that!"

Alejandro made a face, remembering his younger years, but then he chuckled. Enticing indeed...

"It is," he agreed, "but as much as I want him to enjoy his time there, I hope he won't have too much fun, if you see what I mean..."

"Aaaahh, the charms of Madrilean women can be dangerous for us poor mortals... But there are worse tortures than that, Don Alejandro!"

They both smiled.

"Still, I trust Diego," Alejandro said. "He wouldn't take advantage of an innocent girl."

"Well, thankfully for us men, the world was already full of not-so-innocent real women when we were his age!"

Again, they both smiled.

"But I'm sure Don Diego is a very proper young man and a perfect gentleman," he went on. "And who knows, perhaps he'll come home from Spain with a bride on his arm..."

Alejandro frowned a bit.

"Hmm, I think I'd rather not..." he replied. "After all, I'm just like any father, and any father likes to have a say in choosing their children-in-law... As you stated, Diego is still a very young man, and young men in love usually don't think straight. And make decisions devoid of any of the practicalities of life; decisions they might later regret..."

"In other words, you'd like to choose his bride yourself, according to your criteria..."


"No, not exactly... I wouldn't state it like that... I'd like him to make a good match and a love match. Is that too much to ask?"

"From my point of view as a lawyer, I can tell you that unfortunately yes, it is apparently too much to ask. Believe me, I've seen many a marriage in my career, and very few of these had those two characteristics."

Alejandro sighed.

"Then I suppose that yes, I'd rather like to choose Diego's future bride myself than have him bring home a total stranger... I can't help it! Is that so bad?"


"As your lawyer, I'd say that no, it's very wise of you: my job is to counsel you in your best financial and legal interests. Now as a father... I'm not sure... Perhaps we should trust them and give them a freer rein? For instance, my daughter has just turned down the fifth suitor we had introduced her to. And I'm sure that's precisely because we introduced him to her with that purpose in mind... Just for the sake of being contrary! We don't know what to do with her anymore. But on the other hand, I don't want to see her unhappy with a husband she'd have nothing in common with except the fact that their fathers are both lawyers."

"Ahhh, children..." Don Alejandro sighed, "I have only one and I'm already worrying myself sick about his future. How can parents who have more children manage?"

They both laughed.

"Don Alejandro, would you do me the honour of your company for lunch? My wife would be delighted, and you might help us knock some sense into our daughter..."

"Ah, I'm sorry, I've already been invited by Señor Alvarez for today's lunch."

"Oh, all right. Then tonight, perhaps?"

"Well, you don't have luck: I'm having dinner with the people of the Ximénez Company. Tomorrow, perhaps?"

"Tomorrow at noon, that's a date, then..."


z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z

The Ximénez Company was an important import-export firm, trading between California and Spain, and more generally between New Spain and Europe. It was Monterey-based, founded fifteen years earlier by a man named Melchior Ximénez, and it now had several branches all over Alta California.

Señor Ximénez had entrusted the management of each of these affiliates to one of his children. 'Affiliate' indeed. And the San Diego branch was currently run by Ximénez's now widowed eldest daughter.

The first time Alejandro had to deal with her, a bit more than two years earlier, he thought he would make short work of her in trade talks, and he promised himself not to go too hard on her. Just think! A girl! A youngster! An innocent young thing among the long-fanged wolves of trading business... Someone less scrupulous than he was would simply wipe the floor with her in a serious business negotiation... But with his good heart and his chivalry, Alejandro promised himself he wouldn't swindle her... not too much, anyway.

Well, he had been in for a surprise when he realised that she was in fact driving a hard bargain! Some 'innocent young thing', indeed! Unprepared to that as he had been then, he was just lucky she didn't take his shirt off his back in their first trade talk... And he didn't even notice it before it was too late for him and his best interests, because she did all this with the most gracious smile on her face and the most charming manners. She was talented, he realised too late... Really gifted...

It reminded him an essential lesson he might have forgotten: never underestimate your opponent.

But Alejandro de la Vega was a good sport, and he had always liked crossing blades with a skilled swordsman. So in his following negotiations he just didn't forget who he was dealing with, and he truly enjoyed it. All the more so that, if Señora Ximénez de Valdès was tough as far as business was concerned, she was also agreeable and good-natured the rest of the time. Not to mention that she had a terrific wine cellar! Well, she could, she imported wine directly from the best vineyards of Spain and even of France.

And precisely, Alejandro planned to discuss, among other things, the eventuality to perhaps buy his wine from her. Until now he had had another supplier, but he was growing unsatisfied with him... But of course he wouldn't tell her that, or she'd announce a higher price than what he counted on... He had learned his lesson the hard way, and wouldn't let her have the upper hand this time.

As he made his way to her house, he recalled his previous thoughts about her in the course of the last two years...

At first, and once the initial shock about her skills had faded, he had had an idea. A rather pleasant idea: she'd make a very fine daughter-in-law, and an ideal match for his son.

She was distinguished, well-bred, charming and witty, all of the above making her an ideal daughter-in-law to any caballero. The de la Vegas were very important landowners and produced a great amount of goods to be exported; mainly leather and tallow for Europe, but also bovine meat for the local market. Horses, too. On the other side the Ximénez Company was a successful and growing business, with activities that complemented nicely the de la Vegas'... Yes, on paper, marrying the Ximénezes with the de la Vegas seemed an appealing idea.

But on second thought, he remembered she was a widow. Not that it was her fault, but it meant she had already been married, making her a 'second-hand' woman. Which was still alright to marry a man in his thirties, but it made her a bit lower-ranked on the marriage market. Like some sort of small flaw that wasn't too serious but prevented her from being labelled 'top-quality bride'. Making her perhaps slightly unsuitable for a never-married very young man such as Diego...

Really too bad, Alejandro lamented. The Ximénezes and the de la Vegas... It would have been nice...

Anyway. Alejandro went back to the present: his interview with the Vasquez brothers hadn't gone very well, and they had barely lowered the prices they offered to sell him their best vintages. He hoped Señora Ximénez de Valdès would have better prices... He already knew she probably had better wine.

When he arrived at the small hacienda she lived in on the outskirts of the town, a servant opened the door and let him in. A minute later, the mistress of the house came to greet him.

"Don Alejandro, that's an honour and a pleasure to have you here. I'm glad you could make it to attend this dinner. I'll make the introductions to those of the other guests you haven't already met."

He bowed and politely kissed her hand.

"Doña Araceli, the honour is mine, as well as the pleasure. You are as charming as ever, I must say."

She politely smiled at the conventional compliment.

"Thank you Don Alejandro, you're too kind. When did you arrive in San Diego?"

"Yesterday, two hours before nightfall."

"I hope you had a nice journey. Please come, let's join the others in the patio. The wisteria is blooming, you'll see, it's really splendid there..."
Sign up to rate and review this story