Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

Healing and processing

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Kate wakes from a nightmare, not realizing that her nightmare's are memories. Then she shares a moment with her daughter and Jack.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 709 words

0Unrated
Calming hands met her screaming form as she woke for the third night in a row from another nightmare.

“Hey. It’s alright. Just lie back. It was just a nightmare. Nothing is going to hurt you here.”

It took Kate a moment to register that it was Jack beside her and not something else. She was breathing so hard she thought she was about to start hyperventilating. Seeing Jack’s silhouette from the campfire just outside their tent she relaxed.

“That’s it Kate. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Do you want to talk about it?”

Kate snatched up her water bottle and took a large swig from it. Everything from the last few days was either hazy or almost non-existent.

“It’s fading. My nightmare. All I can remember is dirt under my fingernails and something tied around my wrists. The stitching in my stomach was coming apart and some of it on the inside was doing the same…”

Jack was very concerned now. These nightmares of hers were becoming serious, and he wasn’t quite sure what he could do about them. He remembered the nightmares that she’d had right before Megan was born. But he’d known they were a normal and strange part of pregnancy.

“Listen to me Kate. These are just nightmares. They can’t hurt you. Now whatever happened to you we’ll figure it out. Together.”

Kate nodded but wasn’t convinced by Jack’s words. They were meant to comfort not scare her. She looked at the bandages adorning her wrists and winced, remembering the rough and raw exposed skin that lie beneath it. Megan began to whimper inside the cradle a few feet away. Jack put a hand on Kate’s shoulder and smiled.

“I’ll get her. You take it easy.”

She relished the moment’s she spent with her daughter. Nursing her gave Kate time to get to know her. Megan’s little arms flailed as Jack placed her into Kate’s arms.

“Here let me help you.”

Kate was used to doing things on her own, but she had learned to trust Jack with all she was worth. Right now, she needed all the support she could get from him. The next few weeks weren’t going to be easy on either of them. She was amazed at how well Jack had adjusted to being a father. It was only three years ago that he’d told her that he would make a terrible father, and now here he was, a natural. She’d always felt safe with him. No one else had made her feel that same way.

“Wait until she latches onto you. There we go. She’s suckling like a pro now. If she falls asleep, tickle her feet.”

She winced and then looked down at Megan for a brief moment, then back up at Jack.

“How do you know all this?”

Jack chuckled and gently ran a hand over his daughter’s tiny head.

“I spent a couple of years working with an OBGYN. This was before I chose my specialty and became a spinal surgeon.”

He could see slight doubt written over every inch of Kate’s features but he was there for her.

“What if I don’t get the hang of nursing her? Then what?”

Running a finger along Megan’s left cheek, he listened to her coo.

“I think you’re being too hard on yourself Kate. These things take time. I’m here to help you. If every new mother had a hand book on how to nurse their infants it would be relatively simple. But it doesn’t work that way. You learn by experience.”

Jack earned a slightly more confident smile from Kate.

“In that case Jack, your daughter already has your appetite.”

Giving his signature smirk Jack stroked his daughter’s head again. The couple froze when they heard a strange roar coming from the jungle. Jack was now glad that he’d put up blanket’s up for privacy. Part of him was curious about the noise he’d just heard, while the other half told him to stay the hell away from it.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story