Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

Hiding the truth

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

In a flashback we discover how Kate and Jack were expecting Megan and Juliet struggles with the fact that she may not be able to save them.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 702 words

0Unrated
Flashback: 7 months 4 days ago…

She was sick. But Kate knew it wasn’t because of a cold or flu virus. She’d been this way for 6 weeks now. Jack noticed she didn’t look well and had advised her to lie back on the bed they shared. She could see his shadow just outside the tent where he was getting water. Her mind was racing. Sweat was collecting on her brow as Jack came back with fresh water. Setting the much-needed liquid of life down on the ground, he put the back of his left hand up to her forehead and frowned.

“Kate your forehead is soaking wet. What’s the matter?”

Her face was pale as she shook her head.

“Just a little tired.”

Handing her the water, Jack watched as she took three big swallows and set the bottle back on the sandy floor beneath the bed. Furrowing his eyebrows together in worry, he put both hands under Kate’s chin and probed gently with his fingers.

“Your lymph nodes aren’t swollen or compromised. Your tonsils aren’t red with white splotches on them. You don’t have a cough. Have you had any diarrhea? Nausea? Vomiting? Stomach pain?”

Kate shook her head no and looked Jack straight in the eye.

“No diarrhea. Nausea yes. Vomiting yes. Stomach pain, no.”

Jack was doing his best to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

“Ok. Any dizziness when you sit or stand?”

If her face could get any paler, Kate’s did.

“Sometimes I get dizzy when I stand up.”

Jack tried to read Kate’s expression. But she was good at hiding things. Making her lie back once more, Jack gestured towards her shirt.

“Could you lift up your shirt for me Kate?”

Kate nodded quietly and lifted her shirt. Looking away from him, she tensed at his touch.

“Jack please be careful.”

Questions were now forming on Jack’s lips. The doctor in him was completely taking over.

“Well it’s not your appendix. The skin is not hot to the touch. But your abdomen is ridged.”

Kate put her shirt down and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Jack there’s something I uh need to tell you.”

Jack let his hands drop to his lap and he sat down on the bed next to Kate. Fear began to gnaw at her stomach.

“What is it?”

Fidgeting on the bed Kate stared at her hands atop her lap.

“I’m pregnant Jack.”

Jack thought his heart stopped. A lump formed in his throat as he grabbed for Kate’s hand pulling her to her feet.

“We’re going to talk to Juliet and she’s going to take us to the medical station.”

The couple left their tent and made their way down the beach towards Juliet and Sawyer’s. Juliet stepped outside the tent she shared with Sawyer and frowned when she saw the worried expressions on Jack and Kate’s faces. Following them to the tree line, she saw Kate take a breath before she told her what Jack already knew.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It looks like your six weeks along Kate. Jack and I will have to monitor you closely from now on. Your morning sickness will get more prevalent and stronger as you progress towards your second trimester. By your fifth month, you’ll feel weak without much energy. By your sixth month you’ll fall into a coma and your heart will give out.”

Kate stared past Juliet to the grainy black and white screen and fingered it. The steady heartbeat lulled her into a false sense of hope. A tear slipped down her cheek as she tried to see if she could make out what her baby looked like. Of course, it was too early to tell. Looking Juliet straight in the eye Kate held her determined attitude.

“If you can’t save me, at least save my baby.”

Juliet took Kate’s hand and squeezed it.

“I will do everything in my power to figure out a way to save the both of you.”

Kate knew what was coming and it wasn’t going to be all that pleasant.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story