Categories > Original > Romance > -Untitled-

Another Chance

by Latinhottie13 0 reviews

A girl who has had to deal with a lot from life. She has changed her ways drastically to make life less dangerous for hereself after the many trials she has had to endure. But now she has decided...

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2006-08-22 - Updated: 2006-08-23 - 1279 words

0Unrated
My breathing was deep and quick; my chest felt like it was about to explode as I ran at top speed along the shore. Each step I took my legs throbbed, my muscles burned as my feet pushed against the sand. I was panting, wiping away the sweat from my forehead as the sun shone on my back as I ran along the beach. The music in my ears gave some distraction, allowing me to continue on. Every now and then I would sing along to a song that I enjoy, which would slow my pace down a tad. That was not the case at the moment; one of my least favorite songs was playing. I was very tempted to switch the song, but I was putting all my effort into my running.

My legs felt like jelly, ready to collapse at any moment. I looked in the distance, squinting as the sun shone in my eyes. A grin slowly appeared on my face as I spotted a shack in the distance. With the last bit of effort I had in me I pushed myself into a full out sprint. My legs throbbed more, being pushed to their limit. The wind blew in my face as I passed the shack; I slowed down to a jog, and then steadily slowed my pace down into a walk. I examined my watch and turned up the walkway to the street. Slowly I made my way to the apartment, dripping with sweat.

The street was silent; very few people were on the street this morning. Even thought I had been running this trail every day the eeriness of the street was still slightly unnerving. As an attempt to distract myself from the silence I would peer into each of the shops windows to critic their display. A few minutes had passed by with little uneasiness when finally a familiar store appeared. The small café in front of me was dark, but inside I saw a movement behind the counter. When the lights flashed on I notice a girl in her uniform getting ready for the day. Smiling I waved to my friend Mitali who was giving me a thumbs up as she pointed at her watch. I laughed, walking pass the store, up a side alley, while waving goodbye.

This alley never was an easy one to walk down alone, in the morning or at night. My pace had quickened as I walked towards my condo. I pulled out my key at first sight of my door and rapidly placed the key into the knob, unlocking it. When I slightly opened the door my nose encountered a sweet and delicious smell. Smiling I closed the door behind me. I sniffed again and walked into the kitchen looking around the corner to see Carly making pancakes at the stove.

"What's for breakfast", I asked making my way towards her, peering over her shoulder.

A pancake flipped in the air and landed easily on a plate. Carly looked at the time on her watch and grinned. "6 o'clock, right on the dot. I believe that's a new record."

I walked to a cabinet, grabbing a cup. I filled it with water, taking a deep drink while shrugging. "I guess it is."

She pointed to a plate at the table, "Your pancakes are done."

I walked over and smiled, "You're the best." On the plate were strawberry covered pancakes, my favorite breakfast meal. "I don't know what I'll do when you move out, you're my personal chef. Do you know how much someone pays for a personal chef these days?"

Carly chuckled and nodded, not saying a word. It was at that moment that I noticed she was not acting like herself. "What's eating you?" Again she just shook her head and merely walked over to sit down. "Come on, I've known you since we were kids. Heck, since we were infants. I can tell something is bothering you."

She looked at me and instantly I knew. I could tell from the look on her face it was something big. "What do you want? What did you do this time?" I looked down at my plate and suddenly everything fell into place. "You know this is my favorite breakfast, this is bribe food isn't it?" I pushed my plate away, losing my appetite.

"You do know me too well" she laughed, amused by my quickness of placing the pieces together. Finally she sat down across from me and took a bite from her pancakes. I sighed and couldn't resist a large grin. This had to be big; she hadn't done the pancake bribe in a while. Carly calmly took a second bite from her pancake, taking her time before answering further. She looked at me and explained, "you see I'm going out tonight, but it's with all my guy friends. I love them to death, but sometimes I need some girl company. So . . ." Carly looked down into her plate, "I was hoping you'd go with me."

I sat there, befuddled for a moment, pondering her question. Slowly a grin appeared on my face and I pulled the plate back towards myself. "You know, it has been a while since I've gone out clubbing. I guess I can go." I smiled, looking down at my plate and cutting myself a piece of the pancake.

"Oh come on, you never go . . . wait what?" Carly looked up from her plate and eyed me. "Would you repeat that to me, I think I heard you wrong."

I rolled my eyes and looked up, "I said I'd go." She squealed, jumping up and hugging me from across the table. I laughed, "You really thought I was going to say no, didn't you?"

She nodded, "yes! But you didn't, thank you, thank you, thank you!" She giggled with thrill. "I am so glad you decided to come. You have no idea how long I've wanted to take you out. I just had to wait for the opportune moment, and that just happens to be now." I laughed at her remark. She pushed her plate away from her and eyed me, "you have no idea how surprised I am your actually coming with me. I never, well I did, but." She beamed, smiling with pure excitement. "I thought that it would take so much more to get you to agree. That was just so . . . so . . . so easy." She let out a sigh of relief; "Well I'll catch you later. I have to do some things so I'm heading out. See you later okay."

I nodded my head, "yeah. I'll stay here. I haven't had a lot of free time lately and now that I do I can do some sketching. I haven't sketched in a while and I kind of miss it." Carly stood up and nodded her head in agreement. She headed to the door, grabbing her purse and coat. "I'll see you later then", I smiled as she waved goodbye. The door slammed behind her and I turned back to my pancakes.

I sat there, thinking about the activities of the night. Slightly excited for what could possibly happen. Now that I look back on all of it I'm not so sure I would have been as excited after knowing what it would later bring. How much trouble one night would give me. Maybe I wouldn't have gone if I had known the consequences, if I had full knowledge of everything. But just maybe I would have, just maybe. Anyways, they always say something good always happens in the end. I guess we'll see in time if that is indeed true.
Sign up to rate and review this story