Categories > Original > Horror

Captive's Log

by NyeWolfe 0 reviews

How long could you remain a captive before insanity takes you?

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Published: 2016-03-19 - 724 words - Complete

5Ambiance
In a far off land, tainted by evil, five human soldiers have been captured by an evil battalion of monsters. Prisons, far beyond the border, are now the home to the two men and three women. Beaten and tortured for information, they struggle to stay conscious. With no immediate signs of cracking, the five are thrown into a cell containing other captives.
Day 6: My name is Kim. Six days of torture from the enemy have passed, and now my comrades and I have been thrown into a large cell. The stone is damp and a foul odor fills the air. It burns the lungs as one breathes. The only light source is from a torch, located just out the heavy steel and wood door. I don’t want to stay here much longer.
Day 10: The monsters have come to drag away prisoners. Most cower in the back. My friends have been taken while I’ve been left behind.
Day 12: Two more from this cell have been dragged away. Time is hard to tell in this place, but after two or three hours of silence, screams pierced the dead quiet.
Day 18: A week and still no sign of my friends. The two who had been dragged off have been tossed back in here. Their hands have been forcefully ripped from their joints. Two gaping holes stare at us from where their eyes existed. Blood is thickly caked upon their bodies.
Day 19: The two have died during the night. No one could survive that.
Day 24: I can’t find a weakness to this cell, nor do my fellow cellmates think of escape. Fear has gripped their hearts. I am on my own. I fear my friends are dead. However, a small flicker of hope still remains within me that they are alive.
Day 30: Seven more captives have been taken away. I hear their screams. I clench my hands tight over my ears. It doesn’t help.
Day 36: The seven have returned, yet just like the previous two; these seven have also passed on. The monsters take two more in exchange for the seven. Only five of us now remain in the cell. My time is coming soon. I won’t cave to the torture. I shall keep my secrets. I shall take them to the grave.
Day 42: A new sound fills the air. A constant grinding of metal on metal. It seems a new torture device has been devised.
Day 44: Hope! My friend Emily has returned to me! Though saddened by her recapture, I am happy to know she and the others were alive. She is gravely injured but not like those who have returned. I have tended to her wounds as best I could. Now I shall wait for to awaken.
Day 46: Emily has awakened! She tells me of how she and our companions escaped when they were first removed from the cell. She hasn’t seen them but she knows they’ve escaped. She has begun to ask me strange questions. Emily must have been hit pretty hard on her head.
Day 50: I feel sorry for Emily. Each day she seems to ask more and more questions about home, as if she’s losing her memories. I answer her as best I can. It’s my duty as the general of our army to help those in need. One good thing, however, is that she has figured out a way to escape this place. It must work. Failure is not an option.
Day 53: I’m not sure how, but Emily was able to pick the lock to our cell door. We silently walk through the twisting corridors. I know not where we are going, but Emily walks with assurance of her destination. Was Emily always this tall?
Emily tells me it’s only up ahead. I can see a well-lit area. This must be the final passage before our freedom. The smell of death emanates from the room ahead. As I enter, I see numerous bodies hanging from the wall. I hear Emily laughing behind me. Wait, that’s Emily hanging on the wall! Those are the rest of my comrades as well! I turn to see the Emily who led me here morph into a monster. A monster I’ve told all my secrets to these past few days. What have I done?
Sign up to rate and review this story