Categories > Original > Drama

Hours Passed in Exile

by haitoku 0 reviews

[Mariachi Radio] Artemio gives in.

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-08-24 - Updated: 2006-08-24 - 658 words - Complete

0Unrated
Warning: Non-graphic sex, language.

One Cesarean section and thirty pounds later, Sophia was still the sexiest, most beautiful woman Artemio had ever seen. Or, at least, the sexiest, most beautiful woman he had seen in real life. In fact, he actually found himself more attracted to her now that she had a life of her own and her feet planted more firmly on the ground. She wasn't the irresponsible, flighty teenager she had once been, and he liked the change.

He'd catch himself staring at her sometimes - feeding Oceana, doing chores around the house, talking to her mother on the phone, whatever - and would immediately feel the cold hand of guilt clutch at his stomach.

It would hurt so many people if they started that up again. It had been fine in high school, because, really, what consequences had there been aside from each of them getting a lecture from their respective parents? But now... Now, it would hurt Sophia because Artemio wasn't quite sure if he had stumbled back in love over the past few months or if he was trying to fill the gaping hole the lack of Kaleb's loud, obnoxious, entirely over-the-top prescence left in his human contact quota.

It would, of course, hurt Kaleb. He wasn't sure how he knew, but he did. Even though they had only been together that one time, the line was there, that boundary he had silently promised not to cross, because it would break the fragile thing they had. That, and the probability was very high that Kaleb would see the whole thing as Artemio getting back at him for high school, which he really didn't need to deal with. Although the thought of Kaleb simply coming back alive, even if all that awaited him was a sour break up and the loss of his best friend, was like a little piece of heaven.

It would hurt Artemio himself. He'd be losing two good friends, two of the only people he had left. Although, he thought to himself, maybe that's exactly what you want: to repent for some unknown something in the most efficient way you can think of.

Maybe that was why. Maybe that was why, when one morning, as he watched Sophia on her hands and knees, scrubbing the kitchen floor, he decided he couldn't take it anymore and kissed her for the first time in six years.

Now that she was sitting limp in his lap, her cheap cotton underwear and baggy shorts discarded on the floor, his fly unzipped and his dick softening inside of her, he wished he'd never stuck around after Oceana was born, because he'd just royally fucked at least five really good relationships.

"You were better back in high school," she said, chuckling lowly and burying her face in the junction between his neck and left shoulder. He didn't know whether or not he was supposed to laugh, but he did.

"Yeah, and you've got some practice since then, slut," he said with a grin he didn't feel.

She looked up at him, a smile spreading across her face.

"Yeah, whatever," and her expression changed to something solemn.

"We won't talk about this again, okay? I don't want you to lose Kaleb over a fling, and -"

The look he gave her was cold, and his words were flat as he spoke: "What about Kaleb? Why would he care?"

Sophia just scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Nice save, there, Art. You really need to learn to put the correct postage on your letters."

"What the fuck? You've been looking through my mail?!" he said, his incredulous tone matching his expression.

She just shrugged.

"You know what they say."

"No, I don't, actually. What do they say? Please, indulge me," Artemio asked, anger present in his voice.

She smirked at him, leisurely rising and putting her clothes back on.

"Curiosity killed the cat. Although I guess that goes for both of us."
Sign up to rate and review this story