Categories > Original > Romance > Fruta de la pasión

Ch 35 - Matchmaking and recollecting

by Hetep-Heres 0 reviews

Alejandro tries his hand at matchmaking Diego and Victoria, and he also remembers an episode of his own past

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2016-04-10 - Updated: 2016-04-10 - 1074 words

0Unrated
Alejandro was content with himself: dinner had been a pleasant small success, with Victoria idly chatting with Diego all through the meal. His only regret was that he hadn't been able to seat her either right in front of his son or beside him: the place of honour, at the right of the one he occupied as the host at the head of the table, had been granted to Araceli, in view of her age over the younger woman's. Then the second guest, Victoria, had been offered the second place of honour at the left of Alejandro's seat. Then came Diego's place, on the right side again, hence the fact that he sat beside Araceli.

When Alejandro gallantly – and sincerely – commented that he was the luckiest man in Los Angeles since he was sitting between the two most charming ladies he knew, Araceli answered in kind that she was the luckiest woman around, since she was sitting between the two most delightsome and handsome caballeros of Los Angeles. She said this with a graceful nod to himself – no, old fool, don't let it go to your head: she's just being polite – and one to Diego, and Alejandro seemed to notice a very slight frown on Victoria's lovely face. Was it some hint of annoyance, of envy? Or was it just wishful thinking from his part?

When the time came for Victoria to go home, Araceli said she hadn't noticed that it was this late and announced she was going to kiss her daughter good night in her bed. She bid the innkeeper goodbye and took her leave from her. Alejandro pretended he would have liked to escort Victoria back himself, but he used as an excuse the fact that his duty as the host was to keep Araceli company.

"But I'm sure Diego will be a good replacement for me in escorting you back, my dear. Won't you, Diego?"

"Oh Don Alejandro," she said, "don't worry, I know my way; I don't want to bother you and I don't need either of you to–"

"Nonsense, my dear!" Alejandro protested. "I know you're very capable, but it's now dark and I'm a caballero, I wouldn't leave a lady alone on the road at night... Please, humour an uptight and outdated old man like me..."

"Now you are talking nonsense, Don Alejandro..." she said, laughing.

"Diego, son, I know it's late and you certainly want to go to bed, but will you please stand in for me with Victoria? Or, well, if you're really too tired, I can still ask Felipe of course..." Alejandro dryly deadpanned, inwardly laughing and secretly enjoying what he was putting his son through.

If it hadn't been so personal for Diego, the mischievous father thought, he would have really liked to share this with Araceli: it would have amused her to no end... and he loved making her laugh!

"Oh, no Father, don't bother Felipe with this," Diego said, managing to sound really detached, much to Alejandro's concealed admiration. "It will be my pleasure to escort you back to the pueblo, Señorita," he politely told Victoria, playfully bowing before her.

A pleasure, uh? You bet, I'm sure it will, Alejandro remarked inwardly.

Standing in the stables where he had accompanied Diego while idly stroking Dulcinea's back, he now was looking at their retreating backs, pleased with his scheme. I've been working for you here, son; now just don't ruin your chances by telling her something stupid!

Then his thoughts shifted to Araceli; she was probably back from Leonor's bedroom by now...

Strange, everything seemed to be reminding him of her lately; even the stables, even his mount. Patting the animal's neck, he remembered...

z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z ~ z

Alejandro was reading the letter he had just received from Diego: he still seemed to be thrilled by Madrid, found Sir Edmund to be an exceptional mentor, was excited with learning new things and seemed elated to have access to so many academic publications. And he didn't say a word about any young señorita he would have met there: Alejandro didn't know whether to feel relieved by the absence of this kind of detail, or worried by his silence on that matter... You never know with young men his age, men on the outside but mainly still boys inside: a smile, a look, a mere gesture from a young woman they've come across only once can set their heart aflutter, and make them fancy themselves in love... Or they could also have a tendency to mistake lust for love...

While Alejandro was still engrossed in his son's letter he felt a timid pat on his arm. He raised his head and turned it to the side: Felipe was trying to get his attention. The child took his elbow and pulled on it in an attempt to drag him to the entrance door.

"What is it, Felipe?"

The boy insisted, pointing to his own eyes with two fingers and then gesturing outside to the front courtyard.

"Something I must see outside?"

Felipe nodded happily.

Alejandro then stood up and followed the child. And indeed, there was something to be seen: tied to the gate was the magnificent mare he had wanted to buy from Señor Alvarez and then tried to purchase from Doña Araceli only two weeks earlier.

Then Felipe handed him a folded sheet of paper with his full name written on it. Alejandro took it. Soft, smooth, thick, refined ivory paper. He unfolded it and looked inside; on the page were displayed four concise lines of a handwriting which was vaguely familiar to him:


"All things considered, you're a far better horseman
than I will ever be. Take good care of her.

Post-Scriptum: Now, I want her first foal.
Choose the sire like you would have for yourself."

No signature, but there was no need for it.

She didn't even tell him the mare's name; he'd have to choose one. One suitable to such a beauty, at least in his eyes...

And he suddenly remembered her sire's name: Toboso.


Toboso, like the Spanish small town of El Toboso, where Cervantes made his Don Quijote come from... A coincidence which Alejandro quite liked!

Then... Of course! How obvious!


Dulcinea... 'Dulcinea del Toboso', Dulcinea of Toboso...

"Come here, Dulcinea," he murmured, untying her bridle and patting her neck affectionately. "I'll take good care of you, beautiful."
Sign up to rate and review this story