Categories > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon > Hope and Light: Silver Star Story

Episode 8

by Ray1 0 reviews

Sailor Mercury and Greg finally join the group, and meet a very large man.

Category: Sailor Moon - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Ami (Mercury) - Published: 2016-05-02 - 13047 words

0Unrated
Episode Eight: Meribia Tour

Sunrise for the city of Meribia was a beautiful thing. With no smoke clogging the air, like it did in the cities of Earth, the sun could be fully appreciated by the inhabitants, as well as everyone else on Lunar.

The city itself was the business capital of Lunar. Almost every business there was either a branch of a company from Meryod, or another one of the big cities, or was actually the center of a corporation spanning the planet. Either way, Meribia was a businessman’s, or businesswoman’s paradise. It also possessed the mightiest army in the entire zone, as well as a territory spanning all the way to the Nanza Barrier. It wasn’t a kingdom, but that was for lack of trying.

And as Greg Urawa stared out at the docking /Hispaniola/, he couldn’t help but marvel at the simplicity, and the sophistication, of how the people here lived their lives. They were apeople who practiced equality between different species, and where mixed breeding was not only accepted, but embraced with open arms. Here, those of non magical lineage could rub shoulders with the strongest of mages, and neither side could be offended. If only the people of his own home could be as accepting…

His trail of thought was disrupted when he felt the presence of a mind next to him. It was serene, though, and immediately recognizable. And if that weren’t enough to convince him, the musical lilt of her girlfriend asking, “Thinking again, Greg?” then kissing his cheek confirmed it. He smiled.

“You know I think a lot, Amy,” he replied, putting an arm around her waist. “I mean, I have a unique ability to see into the future, have a girlfriend who just ‘happens’ to be a Sailor Scout, and have recently been transported into a parallel realm with said-girlfriend and her fellow Scouts and Sailor Moon’s daughter from the future. I also add the fact that this world gives me an extremely strong sense of deja-vu, and you see that I have just cause to be thinking.”

Amy laid her head on his shoulder, understanding where he was coming from. She had been thinking about the same thing for the last month, and was no closer to figuring it out. “Don’t worry, Greg. You’re not the only one. I would be crazy if I wasn’t thinking about the same exact things.”

For a moment, the world receded into the background as they stood there, unaware and uncaring of whatever was happening around them. There was only the two of them standing there, lost in their thoughts and the mere presence of one another.

Then the sound of voices from the Hispaniola shattered their moment, and snapped their heads around in surprise.

Greg was the first to recover, and began chuckling. He really should’ve known better than to not expect others to show up. “Well, well, well. Look who else has dropped into Lunar.”

“I don’t believe it,” Amy breathed in. “I just don’t believe it.”

“Let’s go say hello, and give them a good scare. Maybe they’ll drop into the water from shock.” Amy nodded, and with a mischievous grin appearing on both of their faces, they began walking towards the ship.

As they approached, they could hear the fat boy saying, “…in my opinion, the selling of firewood would be a profitable venture. Imean, it’s abundant, it’s cheap…”

“Of course it would be cheap, and extremely redundant! You live in aworld that has forests behind almost every wall, and those who use magic can instantly grow new ones in about six minutes! You don’t need to sell firewood, Ramus! Sorry if I stepped on your fin, Gomamon.”

The right time had just presented itself to them. They weren’t even looking in their direction, instead laughing at the argument between the one called Ramus and Koushiro Izumi. Amy grinned, shouting,“That’s telling him, Izzy!”

“Thank you, Amy. Now… …/Amy?!/”

Greg laughed outright at the extremely comical expression on Izzy’s face. “Oh, come on. It’s not like it hasn’t happened before.”

As the identity of the voice sank in, Kari decided not to inquire about how he was here. Instead, she turned around. “Just remember, Tai,” she said, “You were the one who hired him to be my babysitter.”

“I did that in a moment of insanity,” Tai deadpanned, and with astraight face, no less. “One that I’m already beginning to regret.”

Greg grinned as they approached. “Liar. You were happy to get out of the house.” He shook Tai’s hand. “Good to see you again, Kamiya. So, how’ve ya been, besides being stuck here like us?”

Tai grinned sheepishly. “Well, other that that, we’ve been doing fine.”
“Just the same old,” Kari expanded. “I lost several teeth.”

“Well, that’s always good to hear.” He turned to Izzy. “And how are you, my former pint-sized little friend?” he asked.

“I have been doing rather well, now that you mention it.” Izzy gestured to Tentomon. “Greg Urawa, Amy Mizuno, this is my Digimon partner, Tentomon.”
“Enchanted,/mademoiselle/,” Tentomon greeted, bowing as only a bug could do… which was nothing more than a slight incline of his head.

Mimi and Sora however, got a good look at Greg, and gasped as one, “Greg?”

Amy caught the shocked incredulousness in their voices, turned around slowly, and pierced Greg with narrowed eyes. “You know them?” she asked suspiciously.

Greg fidgeted. “We…had a run in, before I came to your apartment.”

“And he means that in a literal sense,” Mimi clarified, realizing that his life was hanging in the balance, so to speak. “We apparently slammed into him with the force of a truck.”

“Ah. Hey, you’re Mimi Tachekawa, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Serena owes you about thirty yen.”

“Thanks for reminding me. She can repay me when this is over.”

Greg sidled up next to Izzy, and growled appreciatively. “You sure know how to pick them, little buddy,” he whispered. He walked away, chuckling at the expression on Izzy’s face. He was so much fun to tease sometimes!

Amy stared at the whole lot of them curiously. She had heard about them, just like everybody else across the world, but she had never had the chance to meet them all together. “So these are the eight Digi-Destined children that saved our world last summer? They don’t look like much.”

“Hey, I resent that.”

Greg chuckled. “Tai, Matt, Sora, Izzy, Mimi, Joe, T.K., and Kari. And their Digimon partners; Agumon, Gabumon, Biyomon, Tentomon, Palmon, Gomamon, Patamon, and Gatomon.” He stared at the Digimon. “I think you eight need to vary the last portion of your names a little.”

Amy laughed at the expressions of shock that played across their faces.“I think you’ve surprised them, Greg. I don’t think they were expecting anyone to know who they were.”

Tai recovered his voice, a little unnerved by the casualness that Greg exhibited when he identified them each by name. “How…did you know all that?” he asked shakily.

“Ah, ah. Amagician never reveals his secrets. Instead, he lets the audience figure it out for themselves.” Greg turned to look at the blue-haired woman. “I know you know,” he stated.

Luna’s eyes grew to the size of saucers. “You’re a seer? A real, honest to goodness seer?”

Amy giggled. “It took me a few weeks to figure that out, and that was only because he told me. So you got lucky.”

Sora looked around, confused by the turn of the conversation. She had /no/idea what they were all talking about. “Excuse me. At the risk of changing the subject and all, but, what is a seer?” she asked.

Nash smiled a bit, apparently enjoying any chance he got to lord over them with his superior knowledge. “A seer is a being who possesses the ability to peer into the future. They don’t usually have voluntary control over that particular ability, as it’s completely subconscious.”

“Yes, usually a seer doesn’t have control over it, but I’m one of the few exceptions to the rule.” Greg looked the five in front of him. “Your names are Alex, Luna, Ramus, Nash, and Nall. Aspiring Dragonmaster, emotional support, aspiring businessman, wanna-be supreme magician, and…little fur ball. No offense.”

“None taken.” Nash clapped his hands together. “Well, it’s been fun, but I have some business to attend to. I’ll be in Meribia for a while.”

Kari looked over to him in surprise. “I thought you were heading for Vane.”

“I am, but I first need to obtain a few things here, including a new staff. I also need to get some advice on something.” He handed them a map of the city. “If you need to find me here, I’m usually talking to my fellow mages on Black Rose Street.” He shook Greg’s hand, then bowing and kissing the back of Amy’s.“It was a pleasure to meet the two of you. So long then!” With that, he turned and began walking out of the harbor.

Amy watched him leave. “That was almost subtle.”

“Oh, let him be. He’s always like that. Noble, but arrogant.” Ramus began looking around him. “At last!” he exclaimed.“We’re finally in Meribia!”

Joe rolled his eyes at the obviousness of that declaration. “Thanks for pointing that out, Captain Obvious. Shall we go over why we’re here again?”

“Geez, Joe. You could become a little more original.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Gomamon. Keep your paws away from the barrels!”

“Don’t worry, Joe. I’m sure Agumon can keep him in check.” Ramus turned to the others. “I’m going to find a shop and sell the Diamond,” he said. “We’re going to be rich, Alex! Filthy, stinking, /rich/!”

“Then go!” Alex replied, laughing as he did so. “And try not to do anything stupid!” He laughed as Ramus ran off like he was in a marathon, before turning to their newest acquaintances. “So, how long have you two been here?” he asked cheerfully.

“A month.” Amy noted the others sudden interest in that time span, and smirked slightly. “Let me guess; same time span?”

“In a bulls-eye.” Matt looked around. “Does either of you know where the nearest weapons store is?” he asked. “Some of us need new weapons. Ours got eaten by the Saline Slimer a few days ago.”

“And we need to give others something new to complain about,” Gomamon added, giving Joe a dog’s stare.

Greg chuckled. “How about we give you the grand tour?” Achorus of surprised nods made him grin. “All right, let’s split into two groups. We’ll meet on Black Rose Street. That sound okay to you guys?”

“Sounds good to us.” Tai, Sora, Matt, and their Digimon quickly connected with Amy. Alex and Luna joined them not long after. “Dibs on her,” Gabumon added unnecessarily.

“I see.” Greg shook his head in disbelief. He should have realized that he was going to have to make sure his girlfriend didn’t get too many proposals. “T.K., Kari, Patamon, Gatomon, could you please join Amy’s group, if only to keep the others in line?” T.K. and Kari did so. “Now, Matt, Gabumon, over here please. Amy is already taken, thank you so very much.” Matt and Gabumon went over to his group, Matt grumbling as he did so.“Okay then! See you guys later! Now, then. Let’s begin with the pier bar…”

----

Sere peeked over the edge of handrail, smiling merrily at their antics.‘Well, all six of them are now together. And four of them must have started having visions.’ That thought brought asmile to her lips. ‘I hope they can understand them, and find out they really mean soon!’ Otherwise, certain people were going to have so much fun with them. Herself, for starters. And Serena would probably never let Amy live it down.

Getting up, ignoring the feeling of weakness as she always did. She made plans to have her staff move all the ‘special’ stuff she had collected over the years into the front display, as well as send messengers to her other stores all over Lunar, and have them do the same exact thing. Asking the crew if they could help her staff get her stuff out of the ship’s cargo hold, she smiled. The Captain would know where to send it. Probably the only advantage of being put on a slightly lower pedestal than the Goddess. She could have lived without it, though. With that thought, and a very unnoticeable shudder, she disembarked from the /Hispaniola, /and headed out of the harbor, whistling some old tune she knew.

She had just reached the end of the harbor when she felt a dark presence in the confines of the city, one that hadn’t been there before she had left. She couldn’t pinpoint where it was, just that it was there. Her command over precise locations was not up to speed, and wouldn't be for quite some time. ‘Looks like I’m going to have to put my reserve plans into action sooner than Iexpected,’ she thought. ‘Better tell my staff to get ready.’

She began walking faster.

----

“…This is the /Chariot /Bar,” Amy explained, pointing to the bar on their left. “It’s the last of the major drinking establishments in the city. It is also rumored to have the best liquor in all of Meribia.”

“Only in Meribia?” Sora queried.

“Well, yes. I haven’t actually been out of Meribia for a month now, and I haven’t had any alcoholic beverages, despite the fact that their legal age is much lower than the U.S.. I’m also not going to find out. You have a question, T.K.?”

T.K. nodded. “What stores are there in Meribia?”

Amy consulted the brochure. “Well, there’s Drago’s Magic Items Banzai, Rocho’s Weapons Store, Sere’s Shop-”

“Sere’s Shop?” Kari interrupted excitedly. “Where is it?”

“Umm…it’s near the center of town. Why are you guys so interested, anyways?”

Gatomon grinned, as only a cat type creature could grin. “Because we’ve met the owner,” she explained. “She was in Saith for the Goddess Festival a couple of days ago, operating a small movable store.”

Amy stared at them all, surprised. “From what I’ve heard, Sere’s store is the most successful business in all of Lunar, with branches in every town and village. What was she doing in Saith?”

“She was operating a small stand, as Gatomon pointed out,” Agumon replied. “She was really nice, and was apparently enjoying herself. That’s probably why they’re so popular. They’re a force of really nice people.”

Amy giggled. “You’re probably right. When I went in there, everyone was eager to help me, or just to speak to me… which Ifound to be rather weird, in all honesty. I even found a decently sized book store in there, with books on every subject.” She looked at Tai and Sora. “I also think they play matchmaker,” she added casually.

At the statement, Tai and Sora were immediately on opposite sides of Alex and Luna, both blushing brightly. “Ummm…what are you two doing?” Nall asked from Alex’s shoulder. “Besides being on two opposite sides of my two best friends?” He wasn’t expecting an honest answer.

Neither one answered him.

----

“…And this is Droz’s Weapon’s Store,” Greg said, turning to stare at them all. “Its weaponry is about the same as the weapons in Saith, so don’t waste your time here, unless you’re on a budget, and just want to replace your weapons.”

“Consider us warned.” Tentomon looked around. “Also, why would Iuse a weapon? I don’t have any hands…well, useful hands anyways.”

“I think that’s a general warning, Tentomon,” Izzy stated quietly to his partner. “So, are there any stores in Meribia that sell better armor and weapons?” He stared at Greg’s curious look. “I still don’t understand how certain weapons can be better than others, but I am going to take full advantage of it.”

Greg grinned, understanding. “Actually, there are stores that dosell the items that you seek. But they’re on the other side of town, and I know how much you/ love/ walking.”

Palmon didn’t look too happy, but she wasn’t exactly angry either. “Walking is better than running,” she grumbled.“Right, Mimi?”

Mimi wasn’t paying attention, as she was deep in thought about something she had heard back at the pier. What she had heard Luna say about Greg. ‘He’s a Seer. He has the ability to see into the future. That means he already knows about my past. Or he will know soon. And I don’t want anyone to know. Not yet, anyways.’

“Hey, Mimi. Palmon just asked you a question.”

Mimi flinched, coming back to reality. “Oh, I’m sorry, Joe. What did you ask, Palmon?”

Palmon was now seriously worried. “Mimi, are you okay? I’ve never seen you like this before.”

She smiled. “Yeah, Palmon. I’m just don’t have anything to say on the subject, that’s all.”

Greg turned to stare at her, a sudden suspicion starting to form in his mind. ‘Could Mimi be reincarnated from the Moon Kingdom?Could she be a Sailor Scout too? But what is she hiding? And why is she hiding it from her friends? Could she be afraid?’ He decided that it was a question that he could ask her later, when they all sat down for lunch.

Joe felt a different suspicion grip him, but all he said was, “Okay, if you say so.”

Palmon couldn’t understand it. Mimi was…flighty on the best of days, but that was due to her cheery disposition. But ever since they came to Lunar, Mimi had been smiling less, and seemed to be lost in thought, something she was not known for. And it seemed to Palmon like Mimi was…withdrawing from her own friends somewhat, like she was afraid to be close to them anymore. The only person she really talked to was Izzy, and that was only for a few seconds before she ducked away, her head bowed. And, was it her imagination, but had Mimi’s voice dropped in pitch?

Mimi could feel Joe’s and Palmon’s gazes on her. She knew she should tell them, that she had to tell all of them, but she was afraid. Afraid of what all her friends would think of her if they knew the truth.

Afraid that they would leave her alone, forever.

----

“My insignificant store is blessed a thousand times over by your wondrous presence! I have a selection of many fantastic and wonderful items for sale!”

This was the greeting Amy’s group got in the first store on Black Rose Street. They had decided, rather reluctantly, to forgo entering Sere’s shop, instead heading down into what had been dubbed, ‘A Slice of Vane.’ Now, they were all busy trying not to laugh at the sales clerk’s over exuberant sales pitch.

“My first item is the Magic Toothbrush!” With a flourish, he pulled out a toothbrush, something that looked like the makers of Crest would have loved to get their hands on. “It scrubs your teeth while you sleep, leaving your teeth bright, not just white!”

Kari’s hand was pressed against her mouth as her body began shaking with suppressed laughter. T.K. was trying to remain calm by reciting to himself every baseball card his older brother possessed. Tai and Sora were using sheer willpower to maintain their straight faces.

The salesclerk didn’t notice any of this. “”I can tell you want one! You need one!”

Luna noticed Patamon looking at T.K.’s hat, trying to control himself. Amy was having slightly better success, her mouth twitching the only dead give away. Gatomon was staring at Amy shoes, her little cat body starting to shake. Kari was shaking more and more. What was going on?

Nall, on the other hand, clapped his paws together. “Can I get it, Alex? It sounds like it would be kinda fun…”

“Nall!” Luna exclaimed, looking and sounding scandalized. “Are you too lazy to clean your own teeth now? No brush for you!”

That was the statement that broke the camel’s back. Kari and T.K. collapsed on the ground, laughing so hard they had a little trouble breathing. Amy and the Digimon were having slightly more success containing their mirth. Tai and Sora weren’t even trying, and had retreated to the back of the store, so they laugh to their heart’s content.

“I knew she’d say no,” Nall lamented, shaking his head. “It’ll be your fault when I contract gingivitis, Luna!”

The salesclerk had a slightly amused look on his face. “Of course, of course!” he boomed cheerfully. “You children have such wonderful hygiene, there is no need for my toothbrush!” He put it back underneath the counter, trying not to laugh himself. He loved kids!

“So, what’s the next item?” Agumon asked. Amy noted that he appeared calm, but his eyes sparkled with obvious amusement. ’He has more humor in him than Serena.’

“The next item is the legendary Magic Plate!” This time, the man behind the counter out a simple gold plate. “Any meal you can think of, no matter how luxurious, will instantly appear for your delectable pleasure!”

Instantly, Nall and the four Digimon stopped laughing, and turned around.“Really?” Gatomon asked, her eyes showing what she would call. If she thought like a cat, lot’s of fish. She heard Alex groan as he realized the same exact thing.

“Absolutely!And the best thing is that this item has never been more affordable!You cannot afford to/ not/ to buy it!”

Nall nodded, convinced. “I’ve never heard a better sales pitch, Alex!” He started flapping down to Alex’s belt.“Where’s the money pouch?”

“Whoa!Move your paw away from my money pouch!” Alex ordered, batting Nall away gently. “And you two, get off of my feet!” He tried shaking Patamon and Gatomon off, but they clung to him stubbornly.

Luna nodded in agreement. “I don’t think we should buy it. If food keeps appearing, how are we ever going to wash it?”

Now it was Nall’s turn to look scandalized. “You don’t/have /to clean it, Luna!” he exclaimed. “You just keep eating all of the food!”

“By which time,” Amy whispered to Biyomon mischievously, “we will all look like the Blob.”

Biyomon giggled.

“No…thank…you!” Alex grunted, successfully prying Patamon off his foot, and handing him to a laughing T.K.. Then he looked down at Gatomon irritably. “Do you want to be de-clawed?”

Gatomon let him go immediately, backing away.

“How unfortunate! I would think that active children, and creatures, would need to consume vast quantities of food!” With a dramatic sigh, he put the plate back in the display case, then pulled out one last item. “Surely, you children will require this next popular item!” He set it on the counter. “I call it the Magic Duster!”

“Magic Duster?” Immediately, Sora and Luna were at the counter, with similar expressions of delight on their faces. Tai and Alex groaned in mock-despair. Kari started giggling again.

“Yes!Simply wave it at any object and watch the dust particles fly away!”

Luna was delighted. Alex knew this when he saw that sparkle in her eyes.“What a wonderful item, Alex! Let’s buy one!”

“Or two!” Sora threw in.

“Girls, we’re on an adventure!” Nall exclaimed, as the Digimon gave them a look of shock. “When are you gonna have time to clean?”

Luna and Sora looked at Nall, like he had grown two heads. It was areaction he was used to. “When we get back to Burg, silly!” Luna replied, giggling slightly, like it was so obvious.

Tai and Alex smiled sympathetically. “Sorry girls. Maybe next time,” Tai said.

“In the meantime,” Agumon threw in, “Let’s go check out the rest of the street.”

“All right.” Amy headed for the door. “Follow me.”

As they followed Amy out of the door, none of them noticed the salesclerk’s smile slowly disappearing. When they were all out, he pressed a small button under the counter, then stood back so he could be seen. A screen, so out of place on Lunar, slid upward into position. He shuddered. He was not looking forward to this.

And then a face, a face that was the stuff of nightmares, appeared on it, scowling. “What?” he growled.

The salesclerk didn’t want to do it to such sweet kids, but his own children’s lives were at stake. “They’re here,” he said simply. Then he prayed to the Goddess that those children would be safe from his wrath.

----

Greg was about ask Mimi a question about her past, something that was of little importance, when he felt a vague sense of warning go through him. It felt like a small knot in his stomach had suddenly tightened for a miniscule second before letting go. So slight, it was almost undetectable.

Most would have dismissed it as nerves, but Greg knew better than to ignore the sensation. For him, it meant something had happened. However, it was a small feeling, so he dismissed it as none of his concern. After all, it was probably just a crook, right?

“So, where to next?” Gabumon asked.

The Seer thought about it for a moment. “Well, how about we check out…” he looked over the map, “…Black Rose Street next? They say it’s a slice of Vane, though I think they’re exaggerating a little bit. But there are a few magicians who live there.”

Mimi perked up almost immediately. ‘Maybe someone there can help understand this power I’ve got,’ she thought hopefully.

Gomamon grunted. “Well, could we please move it along? Joe’s starting to twitch. I think he’s allergic to standing still.”

“Hey!” Joe retorted. “At least I don’t look at the female population of other species!”

“Well, it shows I’ve got good taste!”

That clinched it. Greg began chuckling as something occurred to him in that moment. “You two are about as bad as Serena and Rei. Always at each other’s throats, but still the best of friends.”

Mimi giggled. “You’re right, they do act like Serena and Rei.” She looked at Greg. “How do you know them?” she asked, curious.

And my first clue of the day,’ Greg thought. Out loud, he said, in the form of an understatement, “Well, they…helped me out of a couple of jams last year. I was also in a few of their classes as well while I was living in Tokyo.”

“Ah.” Now that Mimi thought about it, she thought she had heard rumors about someone who had edged past the resident school genius in the summer exams.

“How do you know them?” Greg asked, breaking through her line of concentration.

“I went to the same school as Rei for a while, before Mom transferred me to a public school. And Serena and I went to Juuban Elementary school. Grant you, she was a grade ahead of me, though how that happened is beyond me. She was a sweet person, though.” Mimi gestured. “Please, let’s go to Black Rose Street already. I’ve got some questions I want answered.”

“Very well. Alright boys and girls, please follow me.” Greg began walking in that direction, the Digi-Destined in tow. Along the way, he stretched his mind out, seeking Amy’s oasis of calm. He found it at their next stop. ‘Well, looks like we rendezvous with Amy as scheduled after all.’

He picked up his pace.

----

They were halfway down Black Rose Street when they heard it. A voice that made the Digimon groan in fear, and the Digi-Destined to groan in exasperation. Greg gave them a strange look.

“Oh my! Are you all lost, strange creatures? You’ll find a nice place at the bottom of my stomach!”

Then Greg heard the high pitched voice of Nall saying, “I’ve heard that voice before,” before groaning, “I remember now! It’s the Old Hag from Caldor Isle who gave us the Sea Chart!”

“Old Woman,” Alex corrected, though his tone suggested that he fully agreed with Nall’s assessment.

Greg grinned. “Let’s go say hi,” he suggested, walking in that direction.

Amy chuckled at the expressions of terror on Nall’s and the Digimon’s faces. There were times when she was reminded that she wasn’t the only one whose life was weird. “I take it you’ve had a few adventures of your own on your way here.”

Alex nodded. “One of them was recovering the Hispaniola Sea Chart from an old lady who was living in the Old H Forest.” He looked over at the nonhumans of the group. “And they had the most unfortunate experience of meeting her.”

“Oh, you know my sister?” the lady in front of them asked, surprised. “Is she still living in the middle of nowhere all by herself?”

Upon further inspection, they realized that this woman, while very old, was not as wrinkly as the woman they had seen on Caldor Isle. She was also better dressed. The attitude was the same, though. Anybody else taking a small stroll down memory lane?

“Yes, she is,” Gatomon replied, looking wary. “Why?”

The woman stared at the little cat like creature for a moment. “I wish she’d come back and live with me again! But she said that she loved peace and quiet of the forest.” She snorted in disbelief. “She’s just too stubborn to admit that she misses me.”

Biyomon nodded, deciding that they had just been given way too much information. “That sounds…very interesting. Are you going to eat us animals of different breeds?”

The woman chortled. “Don’t worry. I’m not fond of the taste of wild game like my sister,” she said, “so you don’t have to worry about me trying to capture and eating you guys!” She walked away, still chuckling to herself.

Nall sagged in relief as she disappeared into the throng. “I still don’t trust you!”

Patamon nodded his head in sympathy. “Don’t worry, buddy. Iwouldn’t let her anywhere near you.”

“That makes all of us,” Tentomon’s voice sounded off behind them. They all turned around to see Greg’s group approaching.“We heard a commotion over here, and decided to investigate.”

“And who are you calling, ‘animals?’” Gabumon growled in mock indignation, drawing himself up. “I /prefer /the term‘monster.’ It’s much more civilized.”

Everyone laughed at this. “We’ll keep that in mind,” Sora replied, giggling like mad.

“For sure.” Amy looked at them all. “Where haven’t we been yet?”

“Well…” Mimi pointed to a small building. “How about we check out that building?”

Greg shrugged. “Okay then. Let’s go.”

A few minutes later, he wished they hadn’t. So would Mimi.

----

“…And that’s what happened,” Nash finished, his listener listening raptly. “I still haven’t determined if singing is the key…but I have a strong suspicion that it is, Royce.”

Royce, a young woman wearing simple seer robes, smiled slightly at the young magician’s enthusiasm, and was ready to give him an encouraging word or two. She honestly liked him.

But whatever she was going to say, it immediately vanished from her mind, as she felt something in her mind. She looked up…just in time to see a group of various beings, monsters and humans, walk in. ‘They are here, just as I have foreseen.’ “Nash,” she murmured, catching his attention, “you’re friends have come.”

“Huh?” Nash looked up. “Guys! Haven’t you ever heard of knocking?!”

“Oh, yes, so says the one who has an ego the size of Mount Rushmore,” Agumon sneered. “Just give me a good reason, Nash, and I will flambé you.”

“And knock on what, exactly?” Tai added. “It’s afreaking tent.”

Royce kept her chuckle to herself, finding the little creature amusing. However, she knew that he could also probably succeed in doing so. So instead, she put her hand over her crystal ball. After all, she was afortune teller.

“We seem to have guests,” she said, her voice deep, throaty, but entirely feminine, “but I welcome those pursuing knowledge, as always. You see, I am a student of knowledge. Past, present, and future.” She gazed at them all, one at a time, before landing on Alex and Luna. “I can foretell many things. Let’s see your future. After all, that is why you came to see me today, isn’t it?”

Mimi felt her blood run cold. The way she spoke, not to mention what she just said, was the last thing she wanted to hear. ‘She’s a Seer?!Then she’ll-!’

Luna was no less startled, but she kept it from showing to her face, instead focusing on keeping her confusion tightly contained. “We didn’t really come here to learn anything in particular. We were trying to find Nash.”

“Oh, really?” Royce did not look convinced. “From what I’ve seen of your future, you need my services quite desperately. So many questions you have are ones I can answer…” Her voice trailed off, but her meaning was clear.

Greg noted that the color drained from Luna’s face. He felt his own blood grow cold as he began putting the pieces together. ‘She has precognitive abilities, and she has them under her control! We must tread cautiously here…’

“And you, Alex,” she continued, fixing the young man with apenetrating glance, “you seek to become the greatest hero our world has ever seen. But you are too humble to be a Dragonmaster.” Her grin became a little more predatory. “You are unwilling to choose power and glory over friends and family. This will be your undoing.”

Alex returned her gaze with unflinching resolve, his own stare as deadly as steel. “We’ll see about that,” he replied. “And whatever answers you have for Luna, I’m sure she’ll be able to find them out on her own.” Royce didn’t look the least bit convinced, but she didn’t press the issue.

Greg was impressed. It took a real person to stand up to a Seer, and declare him or her wrong. The last one he knew did that was Amy, and she proved to be right. He noticed that Mimi was starting to come perilously close to panic though, and knew that Royce was going to turn to her next.

The woman’s gaze did indeed shift to Mimi. For a moment, her gaze showed surprise, before becoming carefully blank. “And you, Mimi, you will find that your fears are justified, as your secrets will destroy your friendships, and--”

“Enough!”

Everyone’s attention shifted to Greg, whose instant command echoed throughout the small shop. Gone now was the shy, funny, and extremely loyal young man. In his place was a man who did not take crap from those with abilities similar to his. And right now, his full attention was focused on the entrepreneur in front of them.

“Royce,” he continued, his voice booming, “you dare to try and crush them with visions of doom! You give out information that you feel is unquestioned, and in front of those who don't wish to know! You above all should know that what you see is only one future, one fate!”

“And what of you, Greg?” Royce asked, her voice rising as well. Her body was now stiff, as if she was restraining herself from attacking.“Why are you so adamant against the truth of one future?”

“Because I have had visions proven wrong before, and I am still alive because of it. Oh,” he exclaimed mockingly. “You know my little secret now. How silly of me.” He smirked as Royce's face revealed her surprise.

For a minute, silence reigned in the building, as the two seers stared at one another, the tension so thick, that a knife wouldn’t have been sufficient to cut through it. The others watched this transpire, unaware that a far more private argument was being waged.

You think you can stop me from figuring out why you are here, or finding out what your future will be? I am a student of the great Seer’s of Lunar! What makes you think that you can lecture me?’

I have a crafty trainer of my own; the great Seer wars of my home! I’m willing to pit that experience against anyone’s any day!’

Royce would have continued on, but Nall chose that moment to interrupt by saying, “So what’s my fortune, lady?”

“Licking your paws and coughing up hairballs, cat!” she spat, already infuriated by Greg’s comments. “It is an insult to think I would waste my energy looking into the future of a rodent!”

“I’m not a cat!” Nall shouted, seriously incensed. He was stopped from doing anything stupid by Alex though, as the boy was rubbing him underneath his chin. It was a tactic that Alex and Luna used to calm Nall down whenever he was on edge. It also served as a warning gesture in this case.

Royce returned her full attention to Greg. “You will learn that there is only one future!” she declared.

Greg smirked. “And you will learn that I don’t play by the rules of the Seers anymore. Now, can we speak to Nash? Thank you.” With that, paying no more attention to Royce, he turned to Nash, smiling again. “They were starting to worry about you.”

Nash walked over to Alex, watching Greg from out of the corner of his eye. He didn’t know what to make of him, other than the fact that he was loyal to those around him. So he decided to simply keep an eye on him. However, he had wanted to talk to Alex too. And Greg was a very nice young man, once you got to know him. “So guys!” he exclaimed, rubbing his hands together. “Have you finished your tour of the city?”

“Pretty much.” Alex looked a little overwhelmed, though whether it was because he was unused to such a large living settlement, or because of what happened a few seconds ago was anyone’s guess. “It’s really…big.”

Nash laughed. “That it is. I’m sure you’ll adjust over time. And if you don’t, I’ll be that much more amused.”

Tai made a small grunt. “It’s pretty big, but I’ve seen bigger. I live in bigger.”

“Oh, right, I forgot. You’re not from this reality. My mistake.”

“So, Nash,” Nall spoke up, switching the topic faster than Serena could shovel food into her mouth. “What’re you asking the fortune-teller about? Hoping she might have a cure for bad hair days?”

Nash turned his gaze in Nall’s direction, incensed. “You rude little rodent! In fact I asked her…well…” For amoment, he struggled with his words. “It’s none of your business anyways, is it?”

Nall’s grin grew even more mischievous. “Oh, I know what it is!” he stated gleefully. “You asked her if there was a woman in your future! Nash wants a girlfriend! Good luck, tiger!”

“Nall,” Alex stated softly. “I did not like it when you implied acertain action to me concerning a certain young lady. I do not like what you are implying to Nash. If you continue to do so, I will fulfill my promise. Do you understand me?” He smirked when he saw Nall gulp, before turning his attention back to Nash. “Sorry about that. He doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut sometimes.”

“Well, if he doesn’t learn so,” Nash replied, “I’ll show him that I don’t boast about something unless I can back it up!”

Nall shrank back into Alex’s shoulder as they said their good-byes to Nash. He honestly didn’t want to find out what Nash could do to him. He saw Greg give Royce a particularly deadly look before exiting the building.

Nash heaved a sigh. “My apologies, Royce,” he said. “I honestly wonder sometimes if that flying fur ball has a shred of restraint in him at all.”

Royce shook her head. “Do not worry so much about him, or the others. There are always those who do not believe that the future is set in stone. But they will, someday.” She sighed. “And had he let me finish… but perhaps it is better if she discovers that for herself.”

“Yeah…” Nash trailed off, looking rather thoughtful. He had seen the look on Mimi’s face when Royce had told them all what she was. ‘What could Mimi be so afraid of?’

----

They had just reentered the main part of the city when Greg noticed that Mimi was still shaking. He had been brooding over the confrontation in that little shack, and thus had not been paying attention to what was going on around him. ‘She’s terrified!’/he thought. /‘But why?’ As a rule, he never used his precognitive abilities to find out aspects about his friends unless absolutely necessary. So, he put a hand on her shoulder. “You okay?” he asked gently.

Mimi looked up, very frightened. “Not really,” she replied, her voice barely a whisper. It was apparent that she was also remembering the shack, but for entirely different reasons.

“You want to talk about it? You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“You mean…you don’t know? But I thought…”

He shook his head, allaying her concerns. “I make it my policy not to use my powers to peer into my friend’s lives, or my friend’s friends. So don’t worry, I don’t know anymore than anyone else… with the exception of Royce.”

She smiled at the loathing that Greg put in when he said this, grateful for the show of support. Then she felt her depression set in again.“I…I just can’t right now.” She looked over in T.K. and Kari’s direction. “I know what they’re feeling at the moment. They have to be ready for whatever surprises are thrown their way. They take everything into account. And they believe that we’ll accept them. But I’m not so sure anymore. I want to fit in so much, but I’ve had to hide a lot of things from the world in order to do so. And I’m afraid that if I tell them anything, then I’ll be alone again.”

Boy, do she and Amy have something in common.’ “Do I ever know the feeling? But hey, none of us will push you, if you don’t want to tell us. So cheer up, Mimi.”

Mimi definitely felt a little less fearful. “You’re probably right,” she sighed, a smile starting to tug at her lips.

Greg gave her a confident grin, pleased. If he wanted to, he could definitely think about a career in counseling. “I know I’m right. You just need to have faith in your friends and yourself.” He held up his hand. “And before you ask, I heard it from Amy about a year ago.”

Mimi nodded. It definitely sounded like good advice, especially if he had used it himself. “Okay, I’ll keep that in mind. So, where do we still have to see?”

“Mel’s mansion.”

----

“This grand structure is the residence of Master Mel,” the guard explained to the large group in front of him, all of who were staring at the large mansion in front of them. He had been only slightly surprised when he had seen them, though he had questioned about their digital companions. “He deserves only the finest, after all!”

Gatomon looked up as far as her neck would allow her to. “I can only imagine,” she noted. “This is one big house! I wish we could see what it’s like on the inside.”

Alex agreed with her on that. However, while he was somewhat ignorant as to how the rest of Lunar operated, he knew from his studies that the big, important people were never really allowed the common folk into their homes, unless they had made an appointment in advance.

“Actually, Master Mel has an open door policy, so the citizens of Meribia can come and go as they please. Why don’t you all go in and have alook? I guarantee you’ll be surprised.”

On second thought, maybe he was wrong. Not all important people were like that. Maybe he should brush up on his knowledge of the Four Heroes.

Luna was definitely interested. As this was the first time she had ever been in a city, she was curious about everything. “I wonder if Mel is inside?” she asked quietly.

Greg came up, grinning. “He should be. After all, he doesn’t have any appointments with the commerce ministry, and he never meets with any of the businessmen, or businesswomen, in his home. He takes them to a bar, so they can talk in a relaxed environment. So, yes, he should be in there, so we‘re okay. Just don‘t go into any of the bedrooms.”

Alex had to chuckle at that. “Consider us warned. Now, can we go in?”

Joe looked down at the moat that was in front of the mansion. “I hope there aren’t any crocodiles in there,” he muttered. Gomamon groaned.

Amy chuckled. “Don’t worry. The moat is actually part of an aqueduct system that runs al around the city. Meribia is the only massive settlement on Lunar with a sewage system, and indoor plumbing.”

“Hence,” Greg continued cheerfully, “toilets!”

Alex looked at him in confusion, as did Luna and Nall. “What’s a toilet?” he asked, then blinked as the Digi-Destined face-faulted. “What?”

Palmon looked at Agumon. “Do we tell them, or do we let stumble around in ignorance?” she asked.

Greg grinned. “Let them stumble around in ignorance. Though my butt has feels better than it did when I was walking.”

“Okay, waaaaaay too much information there, Greg.” Nall finally had agood idea what a toilet was, and what it was used for. “Catch him!”

Greg did so, catching Gomamon as he was about to jump into the water.“That water is for drinking, not swimming.” He handed him over to Joe. “You might want to keep a hold on him.”

Joe nodded. “Never do that again,” he growled. “People don’t need to think that the water is cursed.” Gomamon nodded. “All right then. Let’s enter, before Gomamon’s basic instincts take hold of him again.”

“Agreed.”

As they entered the house, Sora looked around in amazement. “Wow, this place is wide!” She sniffed the air. “And I think the cook is making something for lunch.”

Alex watched as Mimi took in a deep breath, holding it in as if savoring the smells. “Hmmm…Salmon steamed to perfection, and topped off with white clam sauce. I think the other delicacy is Angel hair pasta, made from scratch.” As if on cue, a cook ran by, with the food in question. Everyone else turned to stare at Mimi in shock.

She simply shrugged. “Really good sense of smell.”

Amy chuckled. “I doubt Serena could have done as well,” she said, “and with such mathematical precision. How are your other senses?”

“Ummm…not sure. I’ve never really tested them.”

“Hmm. Remind me to put them to the test someday.”

Alex listened to this, and the other conversations around him with half an ear as they explored the vast mansion, filing away all of it for future reference. He had learned a long time ago to put information away, storing it in a small portion of his brain. Other than that, he remained silent.

They found their way to the training room, where the Meribian Army was trained to fight. However, a rather imposing guard was standing at the entrance, refusing to let them pass. Alex had never heard anyone grumble in the way Tai did in that particular moment, and for good reason. However, there was nothing they could do, so they turned around.

Within a few moments, they found themselves outside a set of doors they had not been in yet. Next to it was a man who was rustling over a series of documents. He looked up when he felt he was being watched. “This is Master Mel’s conference room,” he offered, somehow what the majority of them were thinking. “And the door is open to all! Go on inside!”

“Thanks. And you’ll want to divert some of your patrols to the Nanza border,” Greg suggested. “I think Kyle has been increasing the pay rates for his ‘protection’ again.”

“Thanks.” The advisor returned his attention to his documents, instantly forgetting that they were there. Alex found that amusing. He turned to Amy. “And how did you know that?” he asked.

Amy grinned. “We’ve been helping Mel out for the last month,” she explained. “It’s kept us busy, and not thinking about home for most of the day. It’s been rather hectic, but it’s under control, mostly.”

Tentomon looked around, as the people were running around, taking care of little things. “Yeah, it really looks like it’s under control,” he muttered. “Why are they all running around?”

“Mel’s lunchtime,” Greg answered. “It usually takes an hour and a half to make it, so we’ve got some time left. Let’s go in.” With that, Greg walked forward and opened the door. Everyone filed in after him, intrigued as to what Mel looked like.

They were all in for a most interesting surprise.

----

Mel leafed over the files on his desk, finally finding the one he wanted, and began reading up on the latest update of the Meryod trade delegation. He was trying to find a way to get Meribian patrols there before they hit the Nanza barrier. Otherwise, they would set upon by thieves, or worse, the people who protected the Nanza barrier itself.“When I get me hands on the little man’s neck…” he growled, reading the update with extreme interest. He should never have put that kid in charge of the barrier. Don’t get him wrong, the boy had managed to cut the number of raids down by more than sixty percent, but he was also charging exorbitant fees for his people’s protection… at least, those who were men

“Ummm…excuse me.”

Mel almost jumped when that little voice came out of nowhere, making him drop his document files. He picked them up again, properly setting them down on his desk, before seeing where the voice came from.

He noticed that there was a large group of children he had never seen before standing in front of his desk, all of them looking nervous. Behind those kids, he saw Greg and Amy, mouths covered to stifle the chuckles that were emanating from their mouths. /‘Kids,’/he thought, amused. /‘I’m going to have some fun.’/He stood and put his hands on his hips, glaring menacingly. “I’m Mel de Alkirk, governor of Meribia! Since yer new here, I’ll warn ya.” He let his eyes narrow dangerously. “If you dare to make any sort of trouble in my town, I’ll pop your tiny little heads off yer tweaky little necks, and mount them on me trophy wall!” He let that sink in for a moment, watching their gazes go from awed to scared… and let out a hearty bellow of laughter.

That laughter made Nall jump about several feet into the air, while he was flying no less, yelping in fright. “You scared the heck out of me, old man!” he shrieked, taking deep breathes to calm himself down. “I thought my heart was gonna pop!”

Mel managed to stop laughing long enough to draw a breath. He /loved/doing that to newcomers. “Don’t be scared! I’m just foolin’ with ya!”

“So we’ve noticed,” Greg replied, eyes twinkling merrily.“So, still thinking dark thoughts about young people? Because there are two of them below your line of sight.”

Mel looked down, and saw the two in question. “Pleasure to meet ya,” he rumbled pleasantly.

T.K. and Kari looked up… and up. Mel was enormous. His beard, though white, was of the same cut as the one in the poster. There were more lines on his face, as well as a few wrinkles, but he had the same sparkle in his eyes, as well as the same impressive build. And T.K. and Kari were once again wishing they were a few feet taller. That way, at least, they could stare up at him without getting kinks in their necks.

Mel let them stare a little more, as they were obviously meeting their first beastman. “So, what’re yer names, if ya don’t mind my asking?” He finally asked. “And what brings ya to see me?”

Nall made the introductions, throwing in a good joke at Gabumon’s expense. When he got to Alex, he added. “Alex is going to be the Dragonmaster, Master Mel…so he came to pay his respects oone of the Four Heroes!”

“And to just meet you!” Matt threw in.

Mel grinned. “I see! We have a future Dragonmaster in our midst!” He chuckled for a bit. “I like a lad with ambition!” he roared gleefully. “They’re aren’t enough of ya around anymore!”

Alex looked thankful. “Thank you,” he murmured, bowing slightly.

Mel’s grin grew even larger. /‘I see a lot of Dyne in this kid,’/he thought. ‘So modest, and yet, so sure that he could do the impossible.’ He suddenly had a wicked idea. “So, Alex,” he said, turning around and pulling his great battle axe off of the wall behind him, “Let’s find out how serious you are!”

“What?” Nall looked even more frightened now than before. “Alex, you’re gonna get squashed like a grape!”

“Then we’ll have some wine!” Mel roared laughingly as he came from behind the desk. “Come on, Alex!”

Alex shrugged. How difficult could it be? After all, he was going head to toe with one of the Four Heroes. How much trouble could it be. He answered himself very quickly. A great deal.

If anything, this could become the shortest sparring match in history.

----

“Wow, nice training room.” Tai looked around in amazement. “Who’d they build it for, Mel or King Kong?” It was a reasonable question, when one looked at the cavern they had just entered.

“This?” Mel looked around, as if seeing the room for the first time. He grinned. “Well, I don’t know any ‘King Kong’, but this trainin' room was built to hold the entire Meribian army, and has on occasion!” He seemed rather proud of that. “Usually though, there are about a hundred and forty trainees in here, as well as forty-two instructors.” He turned to look at Tai. “What in the flamin’ hell is King Kong?” he asked.

Tai hesitated for a moment, but decided to answer. “King Kong is an imaginary thirty foot gorilla who climbed to the top of the tallest building in the world,” he replied. “He’s actually part of the entertainment in our dimension.” He braced himself for the inevitable derisive sound that Ramus had made.

Mel began chuckling. “So, what the Guardians said is true. There/are/ parallel realms out there! I wish Dyne could have been here to hear you say that!”

Joe was intrigued. “What, Dyne wasn’t a believer in parallel realms?”

“Oh, no! He was actually the biggest advocate in theory of parallel realms! It was me that was the skeptic!” For a moment, a wave of sadness washed over him, but he shook it off. “But Ghaleon backed him up on that, said that he had met some people from…‘Vulcan’ or somethin’.”

Matt groaned. His time here was just getting weirder and weirder with each passing day. “Lovely. Star Trek makes first contact with Lunar.”

Greg grinned, keeping himself from chuckling. “Hey, Digimon have made it to Lunar, too. You have to admit, there is some poetry here. Don’t know where, but I think it’s there.” He looked around. “That’s good place to have a duel,” he stated.

Mel looked over there, amazed. He growled. “That it be, laddie. Thanks.”

The two trainees who were at that particular circle looked up from their sparring to see Master Mel and a bunch of children come their way.“S-sir?” one of them asked.

Mel laughed heartily. “Looks like ya two get a breather, and watch me fight someone! Please excuse us!” He waited until they had vacated the premises, before stepping in. “Come on, Alex!” he roared gleefully.

Somewhat reluctantly, Alex entered the circle, gripping his sword and shield tightly. He let a mage put a blunting charm on the blade, then waited while he put one on Mel’s axe. It wouldn’t blunt any shocks to their arms, but it would keep them from killing each other.“So are there any rules I need to know about?”

“No. Just stay on yer toes.” Mel’s grin grew ever wider. “If you find a weakness in my defense, take advantage of it! And don’t go easy on me,” he added, laughing heartily, “because Iwon’t be taking it easy on you!” And with that, he charged forward, his axe swinging overhead.

Alex ducked, knowing that a blow like that would have taken his head off, blunting charm or not. He immediately deflected another blow, though it drove him back several feet. ‘Geez, this guy is strong!Though I should have known he would be. He is, after all, abeastman.’ He dodged another attack, them rolled to avoid another one. ‘And he’s fast! Probably had to be, considering the little detail that he was a pirate!’

Mel was impressed by the speed this boy possessed. He saw that Alex was also checking his defenses, trying to find an opening. He was analyzing his attacks, learning what he could from them. ‘Hmmm…just like Dyne,’ he thought. ‘Which means right about…’

Alex suddenly swung his blade upwards, trying to catch Mel unawares. Mel blocked it, then brought his axe down. Alex used his shield to deflect it, using his sword at the same time. It was promptly deflected by Mel, also serving the dual purpose of sending a lancet of pain down Alex’s arm. He ignored it, and thrust, keeping his eye on Mel at all times.

Mel parried the thrust with ease, then brought his axe down in side swipe maneuver. He was going by the fight he had had with Dyne, and so far, this kid was matching his old friend with ease.

Alex parried, then surprisingly, dropped his shield, and punched Mel dead in the face. Mel staggered back, more in surprise than in pain, and retracted his earlier statement. This kid also had an innovative streak to him. His approval went up a notch.

Alex picked up his shield, and did a sideswipe maneuver of his own. He continued testing Mel’s defenses, trying to find a weakness. He had found one, but he knew from his studies that beast men never fell for the same thing twice. Hence, the need for quick thinking, and even quicker reflexes.

Seeing how that Mel was trying to see what he could do, Alex decided to go to something different. Thinking for a moment, he got another idea.

Sword Dance!”

Mel moved with blinding speed, blocking the lightning fast sword attacks that Alex sent his way. His approval went into respect. ‘Dyne never learned these techniques,’ he thought. ‘I don’t think any Dragonmaster did. Alex may have an edge. Well, then, he’s taking this seriously, so I might as well too!’

Patamon watched the battle from his position on T.K.’s head, very interested. “Look at Mel. He’s fast, strong, and not intimidated by anything. He’s even keeping pace with Alex.”

“Yeah, but look at Alex!” Luna looked very amazed. “He’s doing his very best, and I think that’s what Mel wants.”

Suddenly, Mel went on a furious offensive, kicking Alex right in the stomach. Alex not only folded up like an accordion, but he flew about five feet through the air, landing in a heap near Matt. He waited on the ground, playing possum, and collecting his thoughts. A plan had formed while he was in mid air, and now, he waited for Mel to approach.

When Mel came into range, Alex gave him a double kick in his stomach, then punched him, hoping to knock him into a loop. Mel gave a grunt, nothing more, and staggered back, obviously surprised. Alex prepared to put the next part of his plan into action.

However, Mel retaliated with a kick of his own, catching Alex in the side of his head. The world around him began to go dark. He managed to fight it off, and managed to see Mel’s axe coming at him for akilling blow. Alex, somehow, managed to get his sword up in time to block it.

Mel made a little twitch, knocking the sword out of Alex’s hand. He went for another killing blow. Alex, however, got out of the way, and then did the unthinkable once more, using his shield as a weapon. When Mel deflected it, Alex slammed his fist into Mel’s thumb, forcing him to relax his grip on his axe, Finally, Alex kicked the axe, forcing it out of the Beastman’s hands. Not willing to let Mel get his hands on it again, he kicked both it and the shield away.

Tai whistled. “Not bad. He disarmed his opponent, and got the weapon out of the way. Nice.”

Agumon nodded. “I’d have done the same thing.”

Patamon looked at the battle with a peculiar expression on his face. He knew that there was something here that was familiar, something that was just at the hair end of his mind…

Mel came in with a right hook. Alex got out of the way, then gave him aone-two combo. His first punch slammed into Mel’s gullet, his other giving him an uppercut. Then, he kicked Mel’s feet from under him, or at the very least, tried to. Mel staggered, off balance. Alex pressed on, hoping to keep the advantage.

But Mel wasn’t out of the game yet.

His fist came up, and practically embedded itself into his sternum. Alex almost lost the morning’s breakfast. And, while he was battling his stomach, he saw Mel walk over, and pick up his axe. He looked around, spotted his sword just out of reach, and lunged…just as Mel brought his axe down. He barely avoided the axe swing, then jumped up, roaring, “Explosion Point!” as he did so.

Matt noticed that gone was all the hesitation, the good sport, and the decision to see how Alex was. All these two wanted to do right now was beat the other into oblivion. He wondered if Dyne had had the same thoughts run through his head. To prove he was better than everyone else.

Mel got out of the way in time, as the tip of Alex’s sword left asmoking hole in the spot he had just vacated. He looked up, panting, as Alex slowly righted himself, sweat pouring out of every pore of his body. In the part of his mind that wasn’t in the heat of battle, he noted in amazement that the boy was still standing. He had taken enough damage to knock out a fellow beastman, yet here he stood, ready to continue the fight. But he was tired, and sore. He raised his axe. One blow would finish this fight.

Alex watched as his adversary came towards him, weapon up. He could feel his magical energies hitting the near end of their power. He had enough power for one more magical strike. Raising his sword, he prepared to perform one last Sword Dance…then stopped, taking the last moment he had to think it over. He suddenly had a wild idea, and now he hoped it would work.

“/Vigor!”/

Mel, too far into his battle state, decided that Alex was calling on the Goddess for strength. It didn’t seem to be working, so he assumed that he was going to win this fight.

Tai looked confused. “What the hell is Alex doing?” he asked.

“Wait,” Mimi suddenly murmured, looking intrigued. “Something’s different…”

Mel brought his axe down…and Alex blocked it, keeping his blade in his hand. He put his strength into it, and forced the beastman back afew centimeters.

Mel’s battle state gave way to shock. ‘He’s learned the Vigor technique! But how?’

Izzy pulled his computer out, and curious as to what the phrase Vigor, typed in the inquiry, “What is Vigor?”

The answer wasn’t long in coming.

Vigor: One of the most difficult techniques to master, Vigor gives the caster a massive increase of strength, allowing them to hold their own against opponents like beast men, and far more powerful monsters. Due to the level of difficulty, only one out of every ten hundred people can successfully utilize it.

Greg gave an impressed grunt. “I think we found one of them.”

For a few seconds, Alex and Mel strained against each other, trying to overcome one another through brute force. Mel’s teeth were gnashed together so hard, he was almost making grooves into them. Alex was exerting so much force that the sweat was running off of him like a tap. They were now evenly matched.

Finally though, Alex decided to end the power contest, seeing as how it wasn’t going anywhere, and relaxed, throwing Mel off his game. He gave Mel a powerful uppercut. Now it was Mel who flew through the air, landing several feet away. He stayed there, stunned, before getting back to his feet. He immediately went on a furious offensive.

Alex countered with a brutal defense-counterattack combo, keeping the giant warrior at bay. He kept this up for a few moments, frustrating Mel. Everyone watched the battle with complete attention, not even daring to breathe.

Finally though, Mel found an opening in the web of steel that Alex had created. Seizing the advantage, he swung his axe forward…only to discover mere moments later that he had walked right into a trap.

For the young man immediately swerved, swinging his sword like a whip, forcing Mel to deflect it. He then kicked Mel in the knee, bringing him down to eye level. When Mel tried to retaliate, Alex merely blocked it, then angled his blade just right, disarming the former pirate. Mel lunged for it, only to become still when the tip of Alex’s sword touched his throat.

“Whoa.”

The statement came from Nall, who was staring, slack jawed, at the scene before them all. “Did Alex…just beat one of the Four Heroes?” he asked.

Izzy looked amazed. “I’m going to say the consensus is yes. Am I right?”

“Yes!”

For a long period of time, Alex stood there, fighting the urge to run Mel through. His every nerve was taut, ready to spring. No one knew what he was going to do.

Inexplicably, Mel began to chuckle, Alex soon joining him. Their chuckling soon grew in intensity, until finally, both were laughing. Alex dropped his sword, clutching his sides in hilarity. Mel almost fell onto his back, so great was his mirth.

Tai was confused. “What’s so funny?” he asked.

“Nooooo idea,” Agumon replied.

Mel and Alex finally get control again after several minutes of near maniacal laughter, and only because they needed to catch their breath. Mel got up, limping slightly, but apparently as happy as aclam. “Not bad, Alex!” he bellowed, giving Alex a slap on the back that staggered the young man. “Not bad at all! That was the best fight I’ve had in ages…you might be the next Dragonmaster yet!”

Nall grinned. “Of course he is! Alex met Quark the White Dragon and passed the first trial!”

And the wonders never cease,’ Mel thought, grinning even more broadly. He considered giving Alex another slap on the back for good luck, but decided that in Alex’s current condition, that would not be such a good idea. “Really?” he decided to say.“I’m even more impressed! All hail the next Dragonmaster!” he roared, making the cavern shake on its foundations.

Alex turned around, and saw that the entire training room population had been watching the fight with extreme interest. They were all cheering, and clapping with extreme gusto.

And Patamon finally figured out what that funny feeling was…

Angelus helped the young man to his feet, grinning like the Cheshire Cat.“You okay there, Dyne?” he asked.

Dyne nodded. “I’ll let you know if I can get off this boat on my own two feet, after my head has stopped spinning.”

If ya can’t, I’ll take you to the resident statue meself!” Mel bellowed, grinning like mad. “I like ya, Dyne. If you can stand up to me, you may be th’ next Dragonmaster yet!” He looked behind him. “My crew certainly thinks so.”

Angelus looked at the fearsome pirate, then at his enthusiastic crew. “And if he didn’t,” he replied. “I would have had to hurt you…badly, I might add.”

Mel nodded. “Good point, Guardian.”

Angelus. My name is Angelus. Why can’t you people ever call me that instead of Guardian?”

The others do it out o’ reverence. I do it to annoy ya.”
“I see.”


Hello?A little help here? I want to leave the boat!”

Mel grinned. “No problem, laddie!” He put Dyne’s arm over his shoulder, and helped him off the boat, limping slightly on his right leg. As Angelus followed, he heard Mel say, “Ya know, I think after we get me ship fixed and stocked, I’m gonna appoint a new captain, and tell ‘em to go on without me.”

Why?” Dyne asked.

Mel grinned, his brown beard making the grin seem even more feral.“‘Cause I’m gonna join ya! You’ve got spunk, Dyne, and I think you’re gonna be a great Dragonmaster!” His voice dropped to a whisper, though the angelic could still hear him rather well. “There’s also someone at the Goddess Tower that I want to see.”

If it’s the Goddess, you do realize that my fellow Guardians will knock your beastman ass ten ways to the Blue Star?” Angelus asked.

Not the Goddess! I’ve already got a sweetheart! She’s one of the priestess’s living at the shrine! I’ll let Dyne see Althena!”

Angelus chuckled. “Dyne, my young friend, do you get the feeling that you’re cannon fodder?”

Dyne chuckled, wincing as he did so. “I get the feeling, but I also get the feeling your fellow guardians aren't going to care so much.”

Angelus laughed. “You’re probably right. Ryo will be too busy looking at Ami, Ami will be too busy reading. Takeru is the most laid back guardian I have ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of them. And Hikari would probably usher you in to see her. She’s always playing matchmaker.”

Is that even allowed?”

Ask the thirty six previous Dragonmasters that question, and get their answers before asking me…”




Patamon chuckled at the memory, before listening to Alex bow and say, “Thank you, thank you for your all your good cheer and congratulations. I am going to take them, and head for Althena’s statue before Ithrow up.” He clutched his stomach in pain for emphasis.

“Go on, then!” Mel roared, gesturing. “Then you and your friends can have dinner with me tonight! Whaddya say?”

Alex grinned, impressing everyone again. “I’ll take you up on that offer. Eight o’clock sound good to you?” Mel nodded, rubbing his chin, where an ugly bruise was starting to form. “Then we’ll see ya then!”

----

“Ahhh…” Alex moaned, leaning against the Statue in relief as he felt his stomach and head unclenched. “That feels soooooo good!” If the Statue was a person, he would’ve given it a great big hug.

Kari giggled. “You look so funny,” she said, “standing there like that.”

Luna began giggling as well. “She’s right, Alex. You /do/look funny standing like that.”

“You would too,” Greg stated, grinning, “if you had just come out of a rough and tumble battle with a being as powerful as Mel. You’d thank the Goddess Statue for being so understanding too.”

“And he did go toe-to-toe with Mel, and beat him. That’s good cause for a celebration. Come on, let’s get some lunch.”

“Good idea, Amy. Alex, your stomach up for some food?”

“Gomamon, now that the queasiness and knots are gone, I find myself ravenous. So, yes, I think my stomach can withstand some food.”

“Well, let’s get going.”
“All right, Mimi.”

----

Sora glared at Mimi as she went through her eighth salad. “I hate you,” she growled.

Mimi looked at her. “Hey, don’t look at me like that! I only started eating this much within the last month! You guys know that!”

Palmon was surprised. “And you haven’t gained any weight?!” she asked in amazement. She had seen Ultimate level Digimon who had less impressive and flattering forms than Mimi.

“No, but I have been apparently filling out in the right places. My mom says it’s ‘just puberty’ when it started several weeks ago, but I think it’s something else. No one I know eats this much in one day, and have the body of a seventeen year old already.”

Sora looked over Mimi’s body, and noted that she did indeed have avery mature body. Her dress, which was designed to give a girl growing room, was now almost skin tight against her friend’s body. “And your mom calls it puberty? Sounds more like evolution to me.”

Alex wolfed through his fourth hamburger, almost not tasting it. “Look, whether or not it’s natural or not, the point is, some people don’t seem to care. Like a certain pineapple head boy genius.”

Izzy choked on the piece of chicken he had been in the process of swallowing. Joe whacked him on the back a couple of times until he regained his breath, blushing something furious. Mimi had also gone beet red, her mouth hanging open, a piece of lettuce dangling off of her fork. Both were staring at Alex in shock.

Alex chuckled, finishing off his burger, then polishing off his drink. He decided that telling them about Lunarian growing patterns would probably cause their brains to fry. “I think this is a good day to celebrate,” he said, stretching his arms out.

“You what would make it even better?” Nall had definitely had too much caffeine, as he was almost bouncing off of their heads. “Seeing if Ramus has managed to sell that Dragon Diamond!”

“If he has, we can go and look around some more. We do have several hours to kill-”

“Don’t say the word ‘kill!’” Alex exclaimed. “I’ve had enough of my life flashing before my eyes for one day!”

Tai chuckled. “Welcome to our life.” He looked around him.“Where is Chunkus Maximus anyways?” he asked irritably.“He should’ve met up with us already.”

Nall began looking around as well. “Well, I’ll be damned. Ramus isn’t here yet, bragging about how he sold the Diamond single handily.”

“Maybe he hasn’t found a shop yet,” Joe suggested.

“Not likely. He found the weapon/item shop in Saith well enough.”

“That’s minor league, Alex. There are over fifteen different shops in Meribia alone, not to mention the eight shops on Black Rose Street. And they’re not all clumped in one area. It’s a veritable zoo out there!”

“Hmm…good point there, Greg. So where do we check first for extremely large friend?”

Luna checked the map she managed to keep of the city. “I say we head for the lower sector. There’s a store called ‘Dross’s’ not far from here,” she replied. “That should be our first stop.”

Tentomon checked the map as well, measuring the distance between their current position and the position of the store in question. “It looks like a good fifteen minute walk. Everyone who walks, hope you have sturdy soles.”

Mimi checked her shoes. “Still good,” she said, relieved.

Palmon looked at her. “And here I thought you were going to complain about walking any further.”

“It can’t be helped. Can we go already?”

Alex sighed. “Yes, let’s go already. Before Nall has acannonball episode, or we run into a very powerful witch.”

“Or Royce,” Greg grumbled, earning a grunt of commiseration from Gabumon.
Sign up to rate and review this story