Categories > Games > Undertale > NovaTale

NovaTale

by Captain_Backfire 0 reviews

Within her dreams, Frisk visitsThe Underground. Scared and alone, she must find a way to survive to the end, but there's one monster who won't make that so easy.

Category: Undertale - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-05-18 - 1440 words

0Unrated
              ((Links to all artwork coming soon. Also,  I always listen to music while I'm writing. If you want the link to the song used for inspiration for this particular chapter, you can find that here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3OL0v2c7o        That said, I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!))

Quiet...

.....Still.

Frisk opened her eyes to the sight of a blue flower petal..... Blurry vision began to abate, confirming her suspicions. Her brows furrowed in stark confusion. 'That's strange.' She thought inwardly as she tried to rise, groaning and falling back into what she now realized was a whole patch of flowers. Their scent hung in the air like a fog; thick and heavy. Every muscle in her body was screaming in pain with each subtle movement. What had happened? And for that matter, where exactly was she? A hazy memory was the only response from her brain when she attempted to think back. None of this made any sense, but Frisk knew she couldn't simply stay in this spot forever. Sliding her palms down flatly on a few flowers, the ground began to sink when she struggled to rise. Another groan, only this time it was of a much higher volume than the last. Her arms shook under the weight of her body, a gentle hiss escaping her lips as her form finally stood upright. Brushing off the red sweater she was wearing, her palms followed suit and clapped against the dirt filled black leggings she didn't remember even putting on. Wait... Frisk looked down at herself. This.... No. This was the off the shoulder red and black striped sweater she'd lost a week prior. How was she wearing it now?

"Hello?" she called out, but the only response she received were the echoes that bounced from the walls back into her awaiting ears.

Glancing down, she cocked her head off to one side. Why was there only a small patch like this in such a desolate looking place? Neatly cut, it was obvious that someone tended it regularly. Heavy lids covered a pair of wide hazel hues that were now scanning the rest of her surroundings. She was standing in what appeared to be a dank, barren cave. Was she dreaming? No... she couldn't be. This was far too surreal for a dream.

Against her better judgement, curiosity being one of her horribly impossible quirks, Frisk decided to take the small hallway that had previously been behind her. Slow footfalls made a steady trek toward a large, purple columned doorway. Everything inside was an inky black, save for the small circle of light streaming down from a hole in the ominously large ceiling. There were only a few blue flowers here that peppered the bit of floor she could see, and the light gave way to another columned doorway.

'Do I really wanna do this? Maybe if I wait back in that other room, someone will come and rescue me...'

Yes. For once in her life, she was going to do the smart thing. Going back to the small patch of flowers, Frisk sat down amongst them. She tried calling for help. Tried waiting..... She sat there for what seemed like hours, hoping soon, someone would find her. Huddling up against one wall, legs pulled into her chest, she wrapped her arms around the front of her calves and buried her face between her knees. Someone would find her eventually... wouldn't they?

But nobody came.

Now, she was faced with a dilemma. 'Fuck it.' she thought, rising to her feet once more and walking, ever steadily, down the corridor to the next room.

A heavy silence drummed at her, leaching from the walls to join the shadows that fled from the steady stream of light in the center of the room. She quickly walked through, reaching the next, unfamiliar area with hesitation. Each scuff of her foot against the ground resounded through the room in an eerie cacophony of sound. There were several buttons on the floor and a plaque on the wall adjacent to it, joined also by a large closed door that she soon found was locked. Frisk walked up, pushing down on one of the buttons. It depressed with a loud 'clack', but did nothing else. 'Hmm... curious.' Her expression mimicked that thought before she rose and walked over to the plaque. It read "A square is the key." She eyed it confusedly. The only square she knew of was that square of flowers back in the first room, but she'd inspected it completely before leaving and hadn't found anything. Could it have something to do with the buttons on the floor? Turning around, Frisk studied the pattern made by the buttons and finally looked to the center. Yes. She could make a square by depressing certain buttons. That had to be the key. Walking back to where she'd first noticed everything upon coming in, she walked over to the first button. It was already depressed, so she moved to the second, rounded to the third and finally, the fourth. The door made an audible 'Click.' to which Frisk smirked. She'd never been any good at puzzles, but riddles were another matter.

Pulling the handle, the hinges screeched loudly, doubled in volume by the cavernous walls and empty expanse of the space. It slammed behind her the moment she let go, causing her to jump nearly out of her shoes. Oddly, when she pushed against the door now, it wouldn't budge. A shadow of fear crept over her still frame, reminding her that a locked door meant she couldn't go back to the quiet safety of any of those rooms.... Lovely.

Pressing on, Frisk noticed this space wasn't near as dark as the others. Maybe someone else was down here after all? Stopping short, she stared at the blanket of spikes blocking her way and exhaled. How was she going to get through that? Another plaque hung on the wall. "Outside, there is a road less traveled." She quirked a brow inquizitively. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she muttered, staring from the spikes to the plaque. "Wait... Maybe the outer edges?" Walking toward the spikes, she placed a careful foot atop one and it slowly slid down. Frisk let out an audible sigh this time, taking caution when pressing each spiked block down to walk on it. When she'd finally passed the ocean of death, she turned back. This wasn't so bad! It was actually kind of fun... in a creepy, somebody could jump out of the shadows at any moment and kill her sort of way. Vines grew on the walls now, adorned with the same blue flowers from before. This time, Frisk picked one, placing it in her hair. It's scent was nearly intoxicating. Buttons on the wall with arrows that depicted where she should press, she went on to do so. The small spikes at the doorway to the next room gave another audible 'Clack'. Each room gave her more and more confidence. She could do this. Yeah.... and she'd get out of here in no time! A few more rooms after, Frisk noticed what appeared to be a small star. It hovered brightly against the dark backsplash of the hallway. Hesitant fingers reached out to touch it; compelled. The star grew brighter the closer her hand came, and the moment she actually touched it, a glowing mist seemed to surround her, two boxes floating in front of her. One read 'Save', the other 'Reset'. Confused, Frisk extended her shaking fingers toward the save button. If this was referring to her journey thus far, she certainly didn't want to start over. Everything swallowed her in a wash of light, but she could swear she saw two black hollow spaces like eyes, one having a strange orange glow before....

Frisk sat up in her bed, panting. Sweating. She felt clammy from her head down to her toes. What was that? Flopping back into the pillow, one hand raised to fall over her eyes, covering them as she breathed deeply. It was just a dream.... but it felt so real. Oh well. It was over now, so there was no need to dwell on it. She had far too many things to do today rather than delving into what terrors were rooted within her subconscious. Sliding her legs over and off the bed, she got up to ready herself for a long day of dealing with obnoxious customers....

.... Yep. Work. What a wonderful idea.
Sign up to rate and review this story