Categories > Original > Fantasy > Finatchia Origins: The tale of the Thorgiaden

The Shapechanger

by per-anders_staav 0 reviews

A mysterious shapechanger, can it make the lone master reconsider?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2016-06-01 - Updated: 2016-06-01 - 4839 words

0Unrated
Ozgoth gave the priest that had grabbed his robe a long stare.

"High bishop Ekal has summoned you to the tronehall," the priest said. "You must hurry."

"I heard you the first time," Ozgoth said and looked down on the hands that clutched his robe. The priest, that breathed heavily from running, finally got the drift and let go of the robe.

"Why did not Ekal cast a spell to locate me if it was urgent?" Ozgoth asked as he began walking, purposely slowly.

"Our spells don't work!" the priest exclaimed.

"You do still follow the examples that my disciples have taught you?" Ozgoth asked.

"Yes, we do," the priest answered.

"Interesting, only two possible explanations, either Mar'raz has let go of all his worshippers or the god himself has lost the ability to channel spells," Ozgoth mumbled.

"You must come to Ekal now and confront the monster," the priest said.

"Monster?" Ozgoth asked.

"Some kind of shapechanger. It assisted the visiting elves when they killed the emperor and defeated Mar'raz himself when he tried to intervene."

"Ah, but that explains it!" Ozgoth exclaimed. "If Mar'raz's body was slain he will not be able to direct his energy to the worshippers until he regains sight of the mortal realm. You magic ability will return as soon as Mar'raz overcomes his loss of connection to reality."

"High bishop Ekal needs you," the priest urged.

"Stand still and I'll teleport us," Ozgoth said and the moment later they were standing in throne hall.

At the centre of the room there was a hole burnt in the floor. Beside the hole a burnt body could be seen next to a black sword. On the far side of the hall the Thorgiaden stood, but surrounded by a large snake and a number of broken bodies. The snake seemed to be sleeping but Ozgoth very much doubted that it wasn't aware of the surroundings.

"Master Ozgoth, make haste to deal with the monster," Ekal, the high bishop of Mar'raz, urged as he stepped forward to greet Ozgoth.

"Is that the same council you gave to those dead men?" Ozgoth asked as he once more studied the scene to determine what had happened.

"We are having troubles with our magic, while your magic is strong," Ekal answered.

"I see that you have already asked the same from some of my assistants," Ozgoth commented as he pointed on some of the bodies around the snake.

He knew some of the men, he had trained them. They where not the best ones around but definitely strong enough to alone hold out against a dragon or other strong magic beasts. If somebody had told him that they would die an instant death against one single monster he ordinary would had laughed. He wasn't laughing now; they were all dead after coming close to the snake.

He turned his attention back to the rest of the room. The sword close to a fallen soldier intrigued him.

"Did that soldier die after you asked him to bring the sword?" Ozgoth asked. The runes at the handle of the sword filled him with unease. As a weapon the sword did not seem that useful. Too long to be used in one hand and lacking the needed length to be really useful with two hands. On the other hand the runes etched into the black metal hinted that it never was planned to be an ordinary weapon.

The exposed runes on the blade was war and chaos. If the runes continued down on the handle could not be seen due red leather that covered the handle.

"/]Could it be a chaos blade?[/" Ozgoth wondered, a cold shudder passing through him.

"Yes!" Ekal barked. "We need you to deal with that strong monster not do philosophy about what happened."

"Knowledge is the key to success. The talk from the guards outside indicate that Fasroth and Hantilia came here and pledged their case for the emperor and were very disappointed when he refused them. Fasroth then used that blade against the emperor, correct?" Ozgoth asked.

"Yes, the traitorous elf cut down our beloved emperor with that dreaded sword," Ekal said

"/]Why would anyone use a chaos blade to kill a mortal?[/" Ozgoth wondered. He had heard rumours about how the outcast evil gods Ma'Meth and Orniuk had devised three blades of such wicked power that they could slay even a god but he had never expected to see any of them in reality. Like much else concerning these gods the tales about the godslayer swords had seemed like popular myth. Even the dragons were too young to have really meet the outcast gods.

"/]Fasroth's aura was weak, comparable to an ordinary sixth year student,[/" Ozgoth recalled. It would not been enough to cover the magic of that blade.

"/]I know from own experiments that it is possible to hide magic powers. Still I never thought anyone that skill. Did Fasroth develop such methods too or is there a more simple solution[/," Ozgoth reasoned and looked at the high priest, eyes narrow from suspicion.

"Why use the chaos blade on a mortal? If Fasroth was strong enough to cloak the blade's monstrous presence he should have plenty of spells that could have taken the emperor out if he took him by surprise," Ozgoth commented.

"Perhaps the sword was meant for Mar'raz," Ekal replied and shrugged his shoulders.

"/]Weird that Mar'raz took the risk to manifest in the presence of an chaos blade,[/" Ozgoth thought but decided not to voice that thought.

"Another weird thing is that Fasroth and Hantilia stood their ground. One god and dozens of his priests against two elves," Ozgoth commented curious for what kind of answer he would get.

"Do you doubt that the Lightbringer could do it?" the Ekal asked and then added, "They also had help from that shapechanger."

Ekal pointed at the snake, Ozgoth also looked at it and then suddenly looked back at Ekal as he registered what the priest was saying.

"/]Fasroth's title Lightbringer is forgotten today. How could any human know that long forgotten title[/?" he wondered.

The only reasons Ozgoth himself knew was because he had been listening to the tales from his uncle Akandel who claimed to have seen it with his own eyes. To create enough light to turn night into day was not a hard task to do for the gifted so Ozgoth had always laughed at the tale. Still something told him that the Mar'raz priest had a different opinion. He spat the word Lightbringer out like it was a curse.

"The shapechanger arrived by bursting through walls like they were paper and a great battle followed. Fasroth was cut by his own blade. In the end the Thorgiaden is used against the monster. The blast from the Thorgiaden was so strong that Mar'raz, who was standing close, get his body obliterated but the snake does survive. Hantilia disappear with the Lightbringer's body," Ekal explained.

"The snake was hit by Thorgiaden and survived?" Ozgoth said.

"Yes, what shall we do with the monster?" Ekal asked.

"I will not fight it until I understand how it could take the full blast of the Thorgiaden and survive. Let us test something," Ozgoth said.

After a short chant his magic formed into a magic hand that gripped the blade and lifted it up. Suddenly red energy came flowing out from the blade. Twisting and changing the magic weave of Ozgoth's magic hand. Ekal screamed in surprise but Ozgoth had anticipated the reaction and sent the blade flying towards the snake.

The blade seemed to have a will of its own as it whirled around so that the edge would impale the snake. Time seemed to fly slowly as the sword flew forward. Suddenly Ozgoth noticed that the vibrations he earlier had felt was back. The eyes of the snake opened and eiry blue light flashed inside them.

There was a howl of pain from the sword, and suddenly it burst into burning scraps of metal.

The body of the snake seemed to be flowing as the eiry blue eyes stared at Ozgoth. Ozgoth stared shocked at the burning residues of metal when suddenly the beast was in the shape of a lizard and rushed forward against them.

Ozgoth gripped Ekal and propelled them towards the doorway with his strongest flight spell. They barely came more than a few steps before the weave of the flight spell screamed as it was ripped apart. Neither Ozgoth or Ekal was prepared and hit the floor hard.

Dizzy Ozgoth sat up wondering when the monster would reach them but the shapechanger was once again clutching the Thorgiaden in the form of a snake.

"What happened?" Ekal mumbled as he crawled towards the exit.

"/]The monster did dissolve my flight spell in the same way as it did undo the sword, lucky the spell took us out of the area that the shapechanger guards[/," Ozgoth thought as he brushed the dust of from his clothes.

"How shall we defeat the beast?" the priest asked. "It seems terribly powerful."

"Best action would be no action until we know more. If that really was a chaos blade made by the outcast god Ma'Meth the shapechanger's instant ability to counter magic must be comparable what we can do with rituals after hours of preparation," Ozgoth mumbled in awe.

"We can't wait. Recovering control of the Thorgiaden is imperative!" Ekal exclaimed.

"Show perspective please. Even if it takes long time before your priests regain their powers we will have no trouble to manage the city enchantment anyway. The fact that the emperor is dead and one of the killers are trying to escape seem much more urgent," Ozgoth commented.

"Our soldiers are chasing her at this very moment, but it is insignificant compared to that you deal with the shapechanger," Ekal answered.

"/]Why does he want to regain control of the Thorgiaden so badly? The receivers are not done yet so it can not be used in practise anyway[/" Ozgoth thought, suddenly he stared at the priest, all color gone from his face.

"/]Fasroth wondered how it come the Impedion is gathering so many combat spells and I dismissed him but now Ekal wants control of the Thorgiaden no matter what even while the only possible current use is as a weapon.[/"

"What are you thinking?" Ekal asked with suspicion filling his voice.

"I need to meditate about how to deal with the shapechanger," Ozgoth excused himself and teleported away before the priest could say more.

Total silence enveloped everything as Ozgoth arrived to an empty corridor.

"/]Ekal will be furious when he finds me again, but I need to think over this suspicion before I face him again[/," Ozgoth thought and started to walk down the corridor.

"/]Has Ekal turned mad without Mar´raz noticing it[/?" Ozgoth wondered. It seemed unlikely but the facts seemed to speak for it.

Suddenly Ozgoth's magic came to life. His personal magic wards had detected an incoming spell from the right and Ozgoth threw himself backwards into the corridor he came from to escape it. A small ball of condensed fire passed by and exploded some way down the corridor

Ozgoth's hand moved and walls around him grew transparent for his magesight. Far to the left he saw Hantilia behind a blue force field. Behind her the corridor was filled with slain soldiers. From the right a company of soldiers and magicans advanced towards her.

The fire that surrounded Hantilia's forcefield had grown out. The magician that sent it had started yet another chant for a new one. The chant was interrupted by a scream from Hantilia. Blue energy flowing out from her force shield.

Ozgoth saw the energy extending and immediately created a magic shield. As the energy reached him his magic weaved buckled and trashed but he would not allow it to snap.

Screams came from the right. The magician casting the fireball had lost control of his fireball. The soldiers and magician around him were screaming burnt by the fire but also from pain as the elf from the north stabbed them.

It seemed unreal as Hantilia fought in the middle of the soldiers. Not very fast, large nor strong compared to the seasoned soldiers but yet able to cut them down remarkably fast. From every direction Ozgoth saw them charge in on the dagger elf armed but somehow they could not make use of their advantage. If Ozgoth didn't knew better he could have sworn that the combat was practised, that everyone had agreed when they should stab, thrust or cut. At least Hantilia seemed to know how to avoid every attack.

"/]Her earlier attack worked by overloading their spell matrix with raw power. Theoretically possible but in practice wortless since the casters own spell matrix that generates the wave will collapse too, leaving the caster dizzy or with the magic ability burnt out. Yet she did do it and was ready to attack directly,[/" Ozgoth thought.

The number of screams from injured soldiers was growing.

"/]They will all be dead unless I help,[/" Ozgoth realized and stepped out to the corridor. As he stepped out protected by a forcefield he saw Hantilia cut down the last of the soldiers. His short thinking had been enough for her to slay the last group of soldiers.

"We meet again," Hantilia said without looking at his direction. She was cleaning the blood strains from her dagger against a magican's robe. Not a single injury could be seen on her body.

"You know I was standing here," Ozgoth said.

"All the time," Hantilia replied and turned towards him. A look of interest and uncertainty passing over her face.

"What do I care for the emperor, he did only put restrictions on my work," Ozgoth said. "Still some of the bodies on this very floor was my friends and students."

"It was time for them to die," Hantilia stated.

"Like it is my time to die now?" Ozgoth asked in a mocking tone. "I warn you that I know magic far too strong to let some uncivilized elf from the end of the world kill me by overloading my spell."

His hands was moving in complain patterns as the magic energy built up.

"I don't know if you are to die here or not," Hantilia commented.

"You are not going to attack?" Ozgoth asked. In secret continuing the preparations for his potent attack spell.

"Not until our talking is over," Hantilia replied.

"Talking?" Ozgoth asked surprised.

"You know Fasroth was right," Hantilia stated with an even voice.

"/]How can she be so calm. All temper shown at my chamber gone like a blown out candle,[/" Ozgoth thought.

"What happened at the imperial throne hall?" Ozgoth asked. His hand raised to deliver his mighty elemental attack but he had paused the casting, curious for her response.

"He understood that Fasroth would find the truth, thus he killed him with a black sword," Hantilia said, "They wanted to kill me too, but a magic lizard intervened."

"Ekal wanted you dead?" Ozgoth asked.

"Who is Ekal, I am speaking about Mar'raz," Hantilia replied.

"/]A god gone mad. Is it possible?[/" Ozgoth wondered.

"What did you say?" Ozgoth exclaimed.

"You heard me," Hantilia replied, visibly relaxing.

"Why do you relax?" Ozgoth asked.

"You have chosen to help me. I don't need to kill you," Hantilia answered.

"Help you with what?" Ozgoth asked. "You are in the middle of lands held by the Impedia empire. The largest army in the world will be chasing you. To make it worse Mar'raz's priests will regain the their spell ability sooner or later, adding their spells for locating magic capable beings to the groups searching after you."

"Help with extracting revenge," Hantilia replied.

"Living as a fugitive and planning for some perhaps possible revenge seem like a shallow life," Ozgoth commented.

"Do the future here in Impedia look more bright to you?" Hantilia asked. Ozgoth gave her a long look and then nodded.

"I thought that Ekal had gone mad but could not see how Mar'raz would ignore such thing. Your explanation does offer a solution to the riddle that else lacks a solution," Ozgoth said.

"Good, time to start moving," Hantilia said.

"You don't want any promise from me that I not betray you?" Ozgoth asked. Hantilia gave him a long stare.

"Can you carry Fasroth's body so I don't have to drop it if soldiers try to block our advance?" Hantilia asked.

"/]My magic could easily deal with the soldiers too but I am intrigued to see more of her combat capability,[/" Ozgoth thought and then nodded.

"You know that the chaos blade wounded him beyond healing?" he asked. A simple spell levitated the corpse and they started to walk.

"I know, but his body must be recovered," Hantilia replied. She walked carefree down the corridor like there was no danger present.

"We are not walking towards the exit," Ozgoth commented.

"Our destination is the roof. A while ago I felt a mind reach out to me. Very old and strange but it breathed of power," Hantilia said.

"What did it say? It could be an trap," Ozgoth objected.

"The voice told me that the wise elf had been slain and I must bring the body to the roof of the palace so that a dragon can carry us away from here," Hantilia said.

"I heard you Ht'lians are friends with some of the dragons. Was it a dragon that contacted you?" Ozgoth asked.

"It could have been a dragon but I am not sure. I think the being that contacted me would have mentioned its or the dragon’s name in case it were ones I am familiar with," Hantilia answered.

Suddenly Hantilia rushed forward, dagger in her hand. Ozgoth stared at her confused. Halfway down the corridor a hidden trapdoor opened and soldiers came rushing out to meet her advance. Without a single emotion on her face Hantilia attacked.

After her charge was done a single soldier was left standing beside Hantilia. He had not attacked as he observed how Hantilia killed his comrades and was thus now standing trembling alone.

"Find the ones of your comrades that like you will not accept this country turning evil and escape. Every good man or elf left as Mar'raz returns to power will be killed," Hantilia said.

The soldier looked at her and then ran down the corridor.

"/]How could she know he would follow her suggestion,[/" Ozgoth wondered.

Hantilia cleaned her dagger and they continued their silent stalking through the imperial castle towards the roof.

Finally they climbed the long stairs to the roof. Soldiers could be heard screaming far down and Ozgoth paused to seal the stairs with a magically created solid stone wall.

Twilight had just come and they could see many lights moving around down in the city.

"/]Is that Mar'raz priests taking over the city or citizens that somehow have sensed that something is wrong and are departing for the border[/?" Ozgoth wondered.

"Do you know what kind of creature the lizard is?" Hantilia asked.

Ozgoth remained silent thinking, it was a good question and he needed to divert his thoughts from the memories of how he had refused to assist Fasroth and Hantilia.

"When I first saw the beast I had a feeling that it was not truly living and I am even more convinced now. The whole thing seems weird. I am not even close to be able to do something like that but except from me only the gods themselves seem to have researched in magic. In the couple of thousand years the world had existed only Impedion had started real research on magic. That leaves some god as constructor of the shapechanger but what god would do something that so clearly is constructed to destroy things like themselves," Ozgoth said.

"In the thronehall it seemed like the beast did drain Mar'raz's power in some way," Hantilia commented.

"The beast seems to unwind magic patterns with the same ease that you and I breath. This power would, from what I know, work on a god's body too. The god can't be slain but the body must be rebuilt. There are obviously limits to the beasts powers, it seems to oppose the use of the Thorgiaden but can not destroy it. I very much doubt the people here will find a way to defeat the beast soon but in time they might find a way," Ozgoth said.

"So what kind of being made it if it wasn't a god?" Hantilia asked.

"Years ago a wise gnome told me fragments of an old legend. Perhaps the answer can be found there," Ozgoth said, "Behold, four champions gather around the heart. Wezar, faster than the wind chases the prey. Marg, more durable than the mountains blocks the path. Scarpia, more angry than the fire of the sun does the kill. Ztown, of more shapes than the waves hunts alone."

"Is the shapeshifter one of these champions?" Hantilia asked.

"The description of the last one named Ztown seems to fit with how the shapeshifter changes form but it does not tell us much. I have no clue who made these champions or even who told the gnome this tale," Ozgoth said.

Hantilia sat silent, looking at Fasroth's body with sad eyes.

"Excuse me for not being there in the thronehall," Ozgoth mumbled, barely audible.

"What did you say?" Hantilia asked looking at him.

"I understand how you feel about the events in thronehall," Ozgoth said.

"You do?" Hantilia commented.

"My regret is as big as yours about what happened to him," Ozgoth said.

"It is up to you if you regret the things that happened or not," Hantilia said.

"No I didn't mean it as a polite saying to ease you. I truly mean that I feel guilty about what happened," Ozgoth said.

"Like I said it is up to you. I don't regret anything," Hantilia responded.

"/]What does she mean?[/" Ozgoth wondered. "/]She doesn't regret the outcome of the battle at the thronehall?[/"

"Doesn't you wish you had been able to save him?" Ozgoth asked.

"Fasroth ignored my warnings. He had himself to blame. Besides I never regret anything," Hantilia said and stood up with a smile.

"Don't you regret not having the opportunity to strike Mar'raz?" Ozgoth asked.

"I stood in range to strike. How does it feel when you regret that you chosen wrongly?" Hantilia responded.

Ozgoth stared back at her perplexed. "Like for everyone else I suppose."

"I have never felt such," Hantilia commented.

"What about when you by accident do something bad?" Ozgoth asked.

"I have never done such. When I don't know what to do I remain passive," Hantilia said.

"What about when you are too passive?" Ozgoth asked.

"I am only passive when there is no good options. No need to have bad feelings about such things," Hantilia replied.

"Does this weird view on life hold for just you or are there others of your people that feel the same?" Ozgoth asked.

Hantilia was on the way to answer when she suddenly looked towards the horizon. Far away a growing spot could be seen flying towards the capital. It was beginning to turn dark but the flying dragon's scale reflected the dying sun's light and thus the dragon seemed to shine brightly.

"Why did they have to send a dragon stupid as a rock to carry us out," Ozgoth cursed.

"What do you mean?" Hantilia asked as she watched the flight of the dragon.

"The Impedia army will see it and attack it when it comes while daylight lasts," Ozgoth answered. At the same time he said this huge arcs of lightning were hurled up into the sky but they all missed the agile dragon as it changed direction.

"They seem to be too slow to hit the dragon," Hantilia observed.

"They are just guiding the dragon into the trap," Ozgoth answered with a tired voice. Almost as an answer to his grim prediction four towers around Impedion had started to glow. "They intend to use my Crel Gala spell."

The moment afterwards the four towers sent roaring flames towards the sky and a storm of fire quickly surrendered the lone dragon. Over Impedion the injured roar of the dragon could be heard. The roar was drowned by the sound of the fire. It seemed like an eternity but finally one group of spellusers lost their concentration and the spell faded.

Hantilia and Ozgoth looked upwards looking after what the angry flames had left and both cried out in terror as a large shape came tumbling towards them.

The ease of the dragon’s flight was gone but the momentum from the flight remained and the dragon came falling down in the direction of the roof of the palace. With a great crashing sound the body of the dragon hit the roof that broke from the great impact.

Carefully the two elves moved over debris towards the large hole in the roof.

"Seems the dragons solved the soldiers problem of finding a way up to the roof. No way we can block such large hole," Ozgoth commented with resignation in his voice.

Hantilia's answer could not be heard because of the angry roar of the dragon. Both looked at each other in surprise and rushed the remaining steps to the hole.

Down in the hole they saw the dragon stand at shaky legs. Smoke was coming out from between the scales but there was no visible injury from the impact with the roof.

"Puny mortals! I will kill! I will kill! I will kill! I will kill! I will kill! I will kill!" the dragon roared and lashed out with it's tail towards the surrounding walls.

"Have you seen this dragon before?" Ozgoth asked as he looked down on the angry dragon.

"Never have seen or heard of it before. I thought it would be a young dragon since I knew all the great dragons. Seems like I was mistaken, that dragon is full grown," Hantilia answered.

"Burn me they did! Everything shall burn! Purified by the might!" the dragon roared. The dragon went quiet but crashing sounds could still be heard.

Ozgoth risked a fast look and saw that the dragon was busy chewing on rocks. It moved around and bit down on everything it found. This was mostly pieces of rock from the walls and the roof.

"Do dragons use to behave like that?" Ozgoth asked with a weak voice as he looked down on the destruction.

"Definitely not, the dragon is obviously completely mad," Hantilia whispered back. Ozgoth was glad that she whispered so that the dragon could not hear her. Unfortunately this hope proved unfounded as the dragon with a roar jumped up on the roof.

"Me mad! You call mad! Burn!" the dragon roared as it landed directly in front of the two elves. It pulled in air to breathe fire on them.

"Hold please, wasn't you supposed to carry us away from here?" Hantilia asked.

"Only ancient one, not silly looking elves," the dragon said. Hantilia and Ozgoth gave the dragon anxious stares. The dragon had taken hold of its temper much too fast.

"A great dragon like you will have no trouble at all to carry us all three, please take us with you," Ozgoth pledged.

"Will carry if I can eat your legs," the dragon offered as it sniffed at Hantilia's legs.

"What!" Hantilia screamed and jumped away from the dragon.

"You ask far too much for such a simple task. Surely your reward must be compared to the difficulty for you to carry out the task," Ozgoth said.

"Can I have an arm then?" the dragon asked.

"You can't have any part of my body," Hantilia answered with a furious tone in her voice.

"Why not, will regenerate, won't it?" the dragon asked.

Down from the hole in the roof the sound of voices could be heard. The soldiers seemed to prepare to scale the walls to get up on the roof.

"The roof will be filled with soldiers in a couple of moments. We need to get away from here now," Ozgoth said towards Hantilia.

"Well it isn't your legs that we are bargaining about," Hantilia complained.

"Can chose arms," the dragon suggested.

"Great dragon. Could we agree to settle the debt afterwards? We can not outrun you so you will surely have your payment even while the chances seem slim that Hantilia will let you eat her," Ozgoth suggested. Hantilia gave him a dark stare but remained silent since the dragon seemed to think it over.

"Agreed if not call me mad any more," the dragon suggested.

"Agreed," the two elves said in union and rushed over to bring Fasroth body to the dragon. The moment after they climbed up on the dragon it took off and flew westward.
Sign up to rate and review this story