Categories > Games > Ecco the Dolphin > Pods and Ends

Convergence and The Pod of Earth

by sparky_lurkdragon 0 reviews

Two shorts on the Singers' battle with the Vortex.

Category: Ecco the Dolphin - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-08-27 - Updated: 2006-08-27 - 519 words

0Unrated
Note: This chapter is comprised of the stories for two prompts. They're both quite short and go together.

----------

Title: Convergence
Characters: A pod of orcas and the Asterite
Prompt: Number 78, Where?
Word Count:311
Rating: G
Summary: The Asterite's great song reaches a pod of orcas, and they heed its call, using the knowledge it grants them.
Author's Notes: Ecco and his world belong to Appaloosa Interactive.
Spoilers for /Ecco: The Tides of Time/.

----------

The orcas, reunited at last after a Vortex attack, were playing happily in their home bay. They knew they were still in great danger, knew the Earth itself was still in great danger, but for the moment they did not know what they could do about it, and so they were taking some time to enjoy being together again, singing joyful songs and gleefully chasing each other. Suddenly, their play stopped, the orcas entranced by a strange song that was not singing, a 'song' sung by the Asterite.

The 'song' was weakened with distance, and was more pictures and concepts than words, but the orcas understood it. They saw, in a bay far away from theirs, the Vortex hive, and they understood the concept of a battle between the Singers and the Vortex. They saw a little grey dolphin swim through a strange silver ring, coming out the other side in a totally different area; after him followed a white whale, then an orca, then a big blue whale, the ring expanding to fit whoever was swimming through it, shrinking back down afterwards. The orcas became aware of such a ring near them, and they then understood from the 'song' that the rings were invisible to the sight and song of any who had no knowledge of them. Then, the Asterite's 'song' ended, and the orcas came out of their trances.

After a short conference, it was decided that a few of the mothers would stay behind to feed and protect the littlest ones, and so these few watched as their mothers and their sisters formed a line in front of the ring, swimming through it and disappearing one by one. The orcas staying behind began singing encouraging, excited songs; their podmates, indeed all of Earth's Singers, could and would win against the Vortex. The Earth's rightful future depended on them.

--------------------

Title: The Pod of Earth
Characters: The Singers and the Vortex
Prompt: Number 53, Earth
Word Count:100
Rating: G
Summary: A drabble about the fight that happened towards the end of /Ecco: The Tides of Time/.

----------

Singers from all the oceans of Earth had gathered above the Vortex hive, called together by the Asterite's mighty 'song' and brought there by the Atlanteans' teleport rings. There were big Singers and there were small Singers, old and young Singers, Singers of simple songs and Singers of elaborate songs, black Singers and white Singers and Singers of every color in between, all of them gathered to fight for their home and for their future.

The Vortex Queen sent her drones to deal with the threat, the pod of Earth descended on the hive, and the great battle was begun.
Sign up to rate and review this story