Categories > Original > Drama > Black Butler: Book of Demons

Business As Unusual

by Epica 0 reviews

Chapter Two

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Published: 2016-11-21 - 942 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two

Business as Unusual

My life is different now. No longer do I bear the weight I had before. The weight of grief. The weight of hate.

No longer does time matter to me.

I, Ciel Phantomhive, am a demon.

Life for me, is an unusual haze of confusing times of day. Sebastian tells me that I no longer need to sleep, but the urge to lingers on every time it gets dark. I imagine it is a habit I will soon forget. Just like the rest of my life that I lived out as a human.

It's all gone now. The feelings I had, the person I was, whatever I cared about before this happened...it's all gone. I don't exactly feel anything. No emotions. And I don't feel sorry for the mansion I took as my own. Although, truly, I wouldn't have felt sorry before.

Because of my change, we had to leave the Phantomhive manor, and everyone we ever knew. We travelled south until we came upon an old, barely upkept mansion of a strange noble, Carl Sakrate. If I remember correctly, he was a disturbing hermit that only kept this place because of his last name. Nevertheless, it was easy enough to order Sebastian to do away with them. Since then, we've used the Sakrate manor as our temporary home, and I've only slept in it for a few nights. I've ordered Sebastian to keep watch.

For what, exactly? I don't know.

I have no enemies anymore. No motives. No targets. I have nothing to live for, but nothing to kill me either. Becoming a demon strips me of the shame I bore as a human, but robs me the satisfaction of life. The finality of death. Everything is so much different now, and only one priority stakes a place in my mind.

Sustenance. Food. Souls.

They have a scent. Sebastian never told me they have such a powerful scent. At any time I am near a human, I can smell the soul they have stored within them. Some souls smell of rotten meat, while some have nothing tasteful to them at all. Boring and bland, like crackers. Or disgusting and foul. Such are the deeds of pale and sour men. And then…

And then there are the valuable souls. In these last couple of days, I have learned why Sebastian desired my soul so much. I can feel his desire inside of me. Understanding what a proper soul smells like is something that has never left the back of my mind since I first changed.

And I will never forget who it was. The first good soul I sensed. The only true good soul I knew.

Lizzy.

"Aren't you enjoying our dance?"

I was holding Elizabeth close to me, the closest I had ever dared, in our dance at Phantomhive manor. Before, I had sneered at the thought of dancing with her again. Now, with my previous feelings gone, dancing felt easy. Pleasant even.

I supposed I hadn't first noticed the smell.

"Oh? I am, Ciel!" She blushed along with that. It was a curious, sensitive blush that I knew all too well. Her emerald eyes flickered to my fingers that intertwined with hers.

She must have worn some new perfume today. Because as I felt her draw closer, there was an undeniable smell of roses. In fact, it smelled distinctly of the white roses in the garden. The ones I had specifically ordered Sebastian to plant when our contract was first established.

My favorite white roses. Elizabeth was drenched in that smell.

Out of the corner of my vision, as I swept her along, I saw Sebastian standing faithfully near a tray. His eyes were as steady as the tune, the beat in which we danced to. But his grin...it was a knowing tone. A mocking little smirk.

With a single flash of his crimson eyes, I knew that he sensed it too. His lips parted in what I could only assume was a chuckle.

I wanted Elizabeth, and he knew it.

Her soul...it smelled so delicious, and he knew it was driving me mad.

Now, all I can think about is how rotten these souls smell. How awful they taste. I have had nothing to do today but smell the stench emanating from the cellar below me. I can hear the muffled moans, the pitiful humans Sebastian trapped down there. The head of the Sakrate Estate, and his servants. I looked to Sebastian, his pale skin just barely reflecting in the early morning sun's light.

These were stupid, ignorant men. Hardly souls worth consuming.

But I was hungry.

Dear Cool Reader,

Hey. It's Epica again. So, did you like that?

I liked that. I liked it a lot. I liked it so much that I wrote it. Cool, right? Well, like I promised, since you made it here, there's going to be more to this letter than there was in the introduction, so hold on to your pants.

Or skirt. Wouldn't want that to fly off.

I, am a YouTuber! And that really doesn't mean much. Not that much at all. But, considering the fact that you are reading this now, you might enjoy the stuff I upload on my channel. So, here. Check it out. It'll be great. Promise.

channel/UCS4HL4U4EB336G813DAH-Uw

And also I am...well, that's it. I write. That's all.

Well, that was fun. I hope you enjoyed chapter two. I'll see you in chapter three, hopefully.

Unless I die or something.

Which would be bad.

Uh.

See you later. 3

Best to ya,

Epica
Sign up to rate and review this story