Categories > Original > Romance > The Girl, The Faun, and the Wardrobe

The Drive

by Shishmi_rox_ur_sox 0 reviews

This is about the Fabulous Mr. Tumnus. Jessica, while spending a couple of nights at her grandma's house, finds an old wardrobe among her other antiques.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-09-01 - Updated: 2006-09-02 - 1828 words

-1TrainWreck
Even though this is my first story on this, i have to tell you, the reader that the charactor's of Jessica's life are in fact real and described carefully. And sometimes Harshly true. I hope you like this story, and I will be posting the rest soon once i write them down on a peice of paper.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tan leather seats were rubing against Jessica's jeaned legs. Her attention was cocked, staring out of the oval shaped car window. Little did she know, she was peacefully being lulled to sleep, her head leaning on her seat belt like a ham sandwitch. Her brown wavy hair was the meat, lettuce, tomato, and mayo, along with her smooth oval head and seat belt as the white and thin slices of bread.
Blurs of trees and people were whizzing past, also including the typical house here or there.
Classical music was filling the backseat. It was so lulling it was like pouring intense sleeping gas out of the car speakers. Jessica's big kiwi eyes were trying not to fall asleep, and began blinking wildly. Carefully, she took her head and began tucking herself in with her black, soft hoodie. Its sleeves fell forward, past her fingers, this was quite typical for her. The hoodie was always a little too big, but she liked it that way. It was just more comfertable.
"Jessica, I was wondering if you wanted to go places with your grandmother. We havent been to her house since you were what, Three? Seven? 'Cmon. Whaddya say?"
Jessica's mom kept rambling about the fun time they were going to have, walking on the beach, talking about girly things, gossip. Most of the stuff that her mother was interested in, but unfortunatley her daughter was not. Jessica yawned and couldnt fight it anymore. Now her mother was rambling!
When it comes to talking, her mom can go on and on. Especially if she's excited or nervous. If you drank a whole twelve pack of red bull and mountian dew put together, you still could not resist the urge to quickly fall asleep. Even if you're so hyper, you are jumping in mid air and reciting the ABC's backwards with one leg over your head and a mug of coffee in the other.
Quietly, her eyes finally shut.
" Jessica? Wha-?"
Her mom took the rear view mirror and peered in the backseat, to find her daughter fast asleep. She smiled a little because Jessica looked like a when she was a baby, and fell asleep in her arms. Regarding the fact she was fifteen years old. Jessica was breathing hard but solemly, you could tell, because her long, loose hair was floating back and forth from exhaling and inhaling. She mumbled a bit, sniffling. It was hardly loud, just barely a whisper.
Suzanne, Jessica's mother, opened the mirror that hung from the car ceiling and began to fix her dark, rose colored lipstick. Even though she was just going to her parent's house, and even though they had raised her and seen her at her worst, it was sort of a nervous habit. She smacked her lips a little, and looked out on the black California road.

It was a shame that her husband, Kelly did not a want to come on the trip. His condition was getting worse. Kelly had many physical disabilities that caused him immense pain. He became an old at the age of 37, so to speak. His bones ached, such as his shoulder, hip and back. Oftentimes, he became cranky from the pain, and thought it was better to stay home.

Zachary, Jessica's brother however, only went where his dad was. Often, it annoyed her when Zac would act too much like his father, as well as his putrid grandfather. Jessica's grandfather was another thing that i undoubtedly cant get into further detail, but believe me it isnt good.
That was sort of the reason why her mother was so damned nervous.
Suzanne put up her mirror with a shaking hand and let out a sigh. Her grandfather was a person she'd certaintly have to deal with.

'Hmm.. cross road..' Suzy thought while trying to find the right street. It had been years since she actually visited her home. She knew it was the right place, because the trees were the same even though after a couple of years there was many constructions,
the trees were ageless.
Their branches were bigger, but the same since she was a little girl, when she left to play in the woods, and hike over the rocks with her friends. Those were the greatest days of her life. So carefree, no deaths, no drugs, no drama, just pure, old fashioned fun.

The Red Mazda glided over the black pavement road, and suddenly stopped.
Was she lost? Certantly not. She knew it was this road. But the streets name?
'Aslan Avenue?'
Suzanne questioned with a sigh. Maybe she could just drop in real quick and see if it was the house. And the street's name surely rang a bell..

Carefully, her foot pressed the accelorator, and turned right onto the dirt road. As the car moved around, it seemed she was in the right place. The tree's branches whizzed past, and some hit the back seat windows of the car. Making a hollow tapping noise.
There were trees everywhere, its brown autumn leaves were scattered across the ground. That is always the best time of year for trees. Autumn. Because they are vibrant in rich warm colors even though the weather sometimes is chilling to the bone.
Suzy tried to make her way through the windy and difficult road, but soon there was a clearing of trees, were oddly the orange sun shone against the white rocks, only to make them an odd tan, which matched the front color of the house. The front was quite the ragged, shabby type.
Some of the paint had obviously been chipping off for awhile. centuries, it seems. And plotted yellow and red roses stood at the corners of a welcome mat, which had fur spread all over it. Obviously from some stray cat trying to scratch her back in the hot sun.
In another side of the house, was a white and wooden archway, leading out to the glorious hills. The trees loomed over it, not looking over it too far, not looking the least bit spooky. In fact it seemed that it gave off rather a cheery vibe to it. The cheeriness clasped to the on the bark of the trees, and was carried through the air, and up and away. Higher than the house's dark brown rooftops.
The house's curtians were made of an old fashioned white curtian that still had a little layer of dust on them. The design was sort of an 1800's or victorian era cut out charactors. Oviously with one glance and no acknowledgement of their history whatsoever, you would think its a charming place.
Dont get me wrong, it is a very charming and warm household, but every house bears a secret.

Suzanne sighed with frustration as she opened the red driver's seat door. Quickly, taking out her black buckled purse, and keys.
(She made an awful loud noise doing this)

She slammed the car door with a huge 'BOOM!' just to make Jessica wake up from her deep slumber.
But being obviously tired and lazy, she still was fast asleep. Almost drooling on her still fastened tan seat belt.
Suzanne made her way to the other side of the car, crushing pebbles beneith her feet.
"Honey!"
Suzy chirped and knocked on Jessica's car window with the tips of her knuckles rhythmically.
No awnser. She sighed with exasperation.
"/Waaaakkee Uuuuuupppp!!!/"
Jessica hated it when her mother sang that out of pitch tune. It was so intensley shrill, that any of your facial features would curl instantly, once this long, annoying warble of words eeked out of her mouth. Why did she have such a bad singing voice? Because she couldnt hear herself.

Suzanne is Deaf.

In fact, that is her job. She is a deaf advocate for the state of New Mexico. Highly intelligent, She's almost as good as they come. Also, she was the first deaf woman to graduate from a major university with a master's degree. She was very proud, and should be. Because most of the population of deaf are not eduacted past highschool.
And no, they are not DUMB. They just never went to college.

Jessica curled her nose in her sleep, this indicated to Suzanne that sub-conciously, Jessica was saying --

"Mind your own buisness! Can't you see i'm busy here? Go take your god forbidden voice and shreik at someone else!"

Suzanne hunched her shoulders and stared through the plastic window.
"How am I supposed to get you out?" She accidently said out loud with immense frustration.

"SUZY!"
A voice rang out from the old house behind her. Suzanne turned around to find Jessica's grandmother, or suzanne's mother.
OR as the kids called her,
'Granny Bar.'

Granny Bar had brown, curled, and short hair, the regular grandma look, except the brown was natural. Even though she was around 68 years old. It is a trait in the family not to get any grey hairs until around fifty or so.
And even if suzy had a new grey hair, she would tell you. Guarenteed.
Granny Bar can be fun and straight forward.
If you're fat, she tells you you're fat.
If you have an oozing pimple that you've been trying to pick off for a week, she'll let the whole world know about her grand child's new blemish. Good 'ol granny was a gossip queen. She knew her family inside and out. If a Cousin's sister's brother was suddenly gay, and had a prostate problem, she would be the first to know about it and spread it around.
Even though I have described her straight forwardness about obesity, she should rightfully not be talking. Suzy, in all of her niceness, calls it 'big-boned'
I call it, pure, heart-attack inducing fat.
And no, Granny Bar wasnt 'Im going to squish you even if you brush by me' fat, she was just obese. Along with her white liver spots.
Ewh.

Granny Bar ran from the door, brests swaying back and forth, and wrapped her arms around her skinny daughter, and laughed happily.

"Barb!" Suzy laughed nervously, as her mother squeezed the life out of her. They hadnt seen each other face to face for two years.
But spent those two years on the phone.
Even if Jessica tried to call one of her kind of deranged but awesome friend, Natasha, she most often wouldnt be able to because of her mother chattering away on the telephone. These conversations were often overherd,
"Who has prostate problems?"
"I know, I need to loose some weight."
"Work has been great!"

Or often it was Suzy mearly gloating about her children.
Sign up to rate and review this story