Categories > Games > Mega Man > Phoenix Evolution

Level 4

by darkskysong 0 reviews

Level 4 of the Questing Tournament complete.

Category: Mega Man - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Published: 2006-09-03 - Updated: 2006-09-03 - 2517 words

0Unrated
AN: I hope you like this chapter. I'm starting to get the feel of my writing having such a bad block that went for 2 months grins. Relax, read & review.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters or names affiliated with MegaMan NT Warrior.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Nine

Kaie Tama wandered the long corridors of the TamaMedia stadium. Every now and again she would come across one of the competing NetOps. She never lingered to chat, yet stayed long enough to wish them well. Kaie said a friendly hello to the tournament staff, and gave a nod to the rest of the NetOps.

She continued to wear her gold and Navi-marked top but had changed into a long black skirt and ankle boots. As always her jet hair was up and today was embellished with gold.

The young woman circuited the stadium's three floors twice, unconcerned for the opinions that the NetOps were forming about her. Let them think I'm strange, Kaie thought, just as long as they don't hate me. She could never forgive herself if someone hated her for something she did to him or her.

Fat drops of rain slapped against the glass, breaking into Kaie's reverie. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that Kaie did not realise where she walked or stopping for that matter. For some strange reason Kaie was in the deserted corridor of the third floor, staring unseeingly through a window. It spanned five metres by one with a panoramic view of the snow-capped mountain. The grey filtered light lent a dull, sluggish cast to the scene. Soon the rain became heavier obscuring the outside world. Her steady breath fogged the cold glass which then blurrily reflected wide, greenish-blue eyes. They shifted to see long fingered hands resting on the glass and collecting the chill of the window.

The last days of the tournament would be spectacular, in more ways than one. Kaie could feel it. The woman peeled her hands away and placed her palms to cool her flushed cheeks. She had a haunting premonition that something unexpected will happen. The NetOp tried to totally shake herself of the thought, but it settled for a small spot at the back of her mind.


--------------------


The NetOps were milling in the dining room, waiting anxiously for Mr. Danko to arrive and address them. A notice had been put up in each of the common rooms for the contestants to attend a meeting after breakfast the next morning. Shortly the portly tournament official stood before the gathered NetOps.

"Good morning NetOps. I am here to introduce you to the fourth level of the TamaMedia Questing Tournament. The task set for this level requires preparation by the NetTeams." Mr. Danko rubbed his hands together. "This task asks NetTeams to create a short performance and incorporate chips into the display. There will be marks awarded for creativeness, chip incorporation and performance. Jonathon Bandy of the DenTech Performing Arts Academy, Yuki the singer and Mrs. Tama will be judging your performances." Whispers spread through the crowd of the prestige of the judges for the round. "We know some of you will need as much time as you get so the level will start at 8.30pm instead of 1pm. Please feel free to use the skills you have to create your show and to ask any of the staff if you need something." He bowed to the stunned NetTeams and left them to ponder their task.

The majority of contestants exited the dining room chatting excitedly, though many did not disclose their ideas to the competition. All of them knew they had only twelve hours to get ready for a performance of a lifetime. Each of the NetTeams managed to find a location in the TamaMedia Stadium where they could prepared undisturbed by the others yet still had access to the tournament staff. The net arenas in the gym were quickly taken by those with initiative minds, as were the courts. The Stadium arena was the last place that could be used for preparation so was once again divided into large areas for the remaining teams.

Lan and Maylu were quick to the net arenas whereas Chaud, Tora and Skylar could be found practising in the courts. NetOps took brief lunch breaks while the navis stayed to safeguard their chosen spots. It wasn't as if the teams were mistrustful of each other, nevertheless they wanted to jump straight into rehearsal as soon as they returned.

Night fell. The halogen lights brightened the corridors and rooms of the massive stadium. NetTeams used their final time refining the loose ends of their performances before level four began in the main arena. At last they filed into the seats knowing that they prepared as much as they could and would do their best.

The judges' panel was set on the lowest tier of seats closet to the stadium floor. A velvet cloth of dark colouring draped the surface of the long table. Mrs. Tama sat resplendent in a business suit of silver at a table end talking softly with Jonathon Bandy of the DenTech Performing Arts Academy, while Yuki was quietly seated on the other end.

The order of the NetTeams was decided upon alphabetical order of the Navis, adding another twist to the already convoluted tournament. A few of the NetTeams that were pushed up the order groaned at the announcement but settled back into their seats to watch the performances before theirs. AnchorMan of NetTeam 1 gave his NetOp Akira a shrug and she returned with a smile; the change of order made no difference to them, they had the pleasure of opening the fourth level.

Skylark and Blossom at position three was the first of the band of friends that included Maylu, Lan, Tora and Chaud. They gave a wonderful show featuring flora, demonstrating the elegance of nature. Tora and KingMan were eleventh and used the skills they learnt from chess battles.

Lan waited impatiently to compete, though he was impressed by the skilful performances put on by all the NetTeams. Now he knew why TamaMedia had indeed invited the best of battlers from around the globe. The young man readied himself once Tora and KingMan finished their lot as Lan and MegaMan were after the next contestants, Jack and KnaveMan.

MegaMan advanced into the arena a step ahead of his NetOp, who was mouthing a soft chant to promote a good performance from them both. The Navi was sure the amount of repetition of their routine in preparation could have covered two NetTeams' training, so MegaMan felt they would do their best in any event.

NetTeam 12 squared each other off from across a fairly big distance, Lan standing next to a small decorative table holding the items for their display. The bell rang to let the NetTeam know that the judges were ready for them to start. The first part of their act was going to be a real blast. Lan picked up three chips in between each of his finger tips and slotted them into his PET one after another. MegaMan silently counted the seconds down from when he received the Mini Boomers as he artfully juggled the volatile objects. He then tossed them high to let them harmlessly explode above the NetTeam's heads. A smokescreen obscured Lan and MegaMan for a few moments, just enough time for them to move into their next position.

Lan had been inspired by the level three of the tournament for this part. The NetOp threw various objects in different directions for MegaMan to attack with his newly acquired Canon artillery. The remnants of the smokescreen faded away and revealed the last throws that Lan made before he strode from the tableside to stand side by side his NetNavi. They finished the performance with a sequence of movements drilled in from their martial arts training.

As with all the previous NetTeams, the audience applauded the partners and indicated the display's entertainment value by the volume of sound created. MegaMan saw the elation on Lan's face from the adrenaline rush of the competition and grinned as they re-entered the stands. Now they just had to wait out the last half of the level to obtain their score, and the top leaders of tournament had yet to compete.

Two NetTeams later and then it was time for the enterprising partnership of Brice and PhoenixMan to take the stage. The NetOp mused on their situation after watching the performances all the way down to the arena floor; they needed to pull their act off perfectly to stay atop the leader board.

Brice had exchanged her dark coat for a short, white caftan with purple edging and abandoned her shoes and gloves; her PET was strapped unobtrusively at the base of her back in the purple sash she wore. PhoenixMan stood directly behind Brice, who was at least a head shorter than the Navi so every one could still see him. The starting bell chimed in a timely fashion.

Brice flourished a bow to the judges while downloading a battle chip to PhoenixMan. Sand rings appeared above the stadium floor, hovering over the partners' heads in a direct line from the NetNavi's outstretched arms. He manoeuvred the rings in a simple pattern around the field including tipping them horizontally and vertically. The NetTeam entertained the crowd by jumping through the sand rings that PhoenixMan continued to control while moving; the most impressive leap being a three ring combination of two vertical and one horizontal ring. The last jump looked as if Brice might collide with her Navi as the other side of the one she aimed for was so close him. PhoenixMan let the sand rings dissipate in a cloud of particles and braced his stance as the NetNavi cupped his hands in readiness. Brice cleared the last ring with a front roll and stepped backwards, straight into the waiting hands and then PhoenixMan supported her weight into a flip.

She downloaded another chip while the Navi threw a glittered ball into the air towards Brice. The NetOp caught the sphere with ease then proceeded to perform a small dance routine that included the ball. PhoenixMan was skilfully using the Bubble battle chip in his display that surrounded both him and his NetOp in a circle then a dome of bubbles. Brice forcefully hurled the orb through the centre of the dome's peak, the cue for PhoenixMan to end his stream of bubbles. The ball reached the apex of its arch and seemed to hang in the air before gravity took control. Every one was so mesmerised by the journey of the sparkling orb and the form of Brice's grace that they missed PhoenixMan moving into position for the NetTeam's finale.

Brice slipped a Cannon chip into the PET and her NetNavi knelt to gun down the floating ball with studied precision. Confetti exploded into the air and showered the performers and the spectators nearest to the floor. As the end of their performance, Brice and PhoenixMan synchronically cart-wheeled on a single hand, landed neatly on their feet and then continued the movement into their last bow.

NetOps and Navis around the stadium cheered, clapped and whistled their approval of the well demonstrated act of entertaining teamwork from Brice and PhoenixMan. NetTeam 6 humbly exited the arena floor to make way for the next contestants competing in the Questing Tournament and returned to the seats they had been sitting in earlier.

The next team happened to be Chaud and ProtoMan. Luckily enough they had no qualms about the quality of their performance to be intimidated by going after Brice and PhoenixMan skilled show. They demonstrated with finesse the marvelling feats of accuracy and speed. Last of the group but never least, Maylu and Roll hit the stage with their performance at position nineteen.

The competitors were dismissed following a short speech by Mr. Danko on behalf of the NetTeams to thank the judges on their participation. The crowd surrounding the scoreboard was thinning by the time Lan and the gang arrived to check out the state of the competition. They were surprised to find that the point gaps had closed, meaning the contestation for the six places in the finals would heat up.

Brice walked past the scoreboard on her way through the corridors. She stopped and surprisingly addressed the group. "This might seem strange, but I like to speak with the people I compete against at least once during a tournament." Brice looked at each of them in turn. "How does it feel to participate in a Questing Tournament?" she asked the debuting NetOps Lan, Maylu and Skylar.

All three expressed their excitement and honour at being invited. The young woman nodded her agreement. "I'm sure Tora and Chaud know as I do that these tournaments provide excellent experience for flexibility in NetBattles, as well as in life. Well, I better be off so good luck for the rest of the tournament." Brice waved and then disappeared down the passageway.

"That was strange," commented Maylu once they were moving towards their rooms.

"You got that right" Skylar replied.

Chaud chuckled. "I have met far stranger characters in my travels. Brice was normal compared to them."

"We all can't be globe trotters like you, Chaud" retorted Lan.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten about those weird people from World 3, like Maddy and WackoMan for instance" he pushed.

Lan scuffed his shoe. "Yeah, well, I tend to look to the future."

"We knew that" Tora laughed.

Lan cottoned on. "Stop picking on me."

They decided to let Lan have his peace this once and parted ways on the second floor corridor to enter their own common room. Lan wished Maylu a good night before going to sleep in his room.


The next morning, Maylu was adamant to use the fantastic facilities that the TamaMedia Stadium had to offer. She had been so absorbed with the tournament that Maylu hadn't taken full advantage of the spa and swimming pool yet. Lan also decided to make use of the pool so they went together after putting their PETs on to charge. MegaMan and Roll explored the Stadium's Navi facilities while they were externally jacked in.

All the NetOps enjoyed their morning, relaxing before the fifth level and taking advantage of the free facilities. This was one reason that Questing Tournaments were liked by so many; the companies running them always looked after their contestants well.

The Navis glimpsed PhoenixMan all over the cyber network. He seemed a bit too mysterious but then again, nobody really knew anything about his NetOp Brice besides what she revealed in her various conversations.

Lan and Maylu spent the entire time they were at lunch speculating about the events planned for the last level. They were certain that it would be really hard as they were being tested to find the best of the best invited.


------------------------------------------------------------

AN2: I know the end of the chapter was a bit abrupt but bear with me. I forced myself to overcome write block to make this chapter happen.
Sign up to rate and review this story