Categories > Original > Romance > The Beach

Getting to Know

by gtakiller0914 0 reviews

Getting to know each other a little bit better

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-09-03 - Updated: 2006-09-03 - 1069 words

0Unrated
After the incident, the two women stayed at the beach for another hour or so. They did not talk to Mitch again. However, they did notice several times that he was alone in the water or on the beach. Savannah got the feeling that Mitch and Natalie's relationship was not as close as she had originally thought.
While Shelly drove to a nearby restaurant for lunch, Savannah laid her head back and closed her eyes. Her thoughts
kept returning to Mitch and Natalie. Except for when they checked into the inn, they seemed to spend very little time together. When they were together, Savannah noticed that they did not touch or show any display of affection. She had never seen them kiss or even hold hands. Mitch, on the other hand, had kissed Savannah on the cheek and hand and put his arm around her. He had seemed completely at ease doing so. Savannah was surprised by the little flutter she felt in her stomach she thought about this. Was it possible that Mitch and Natalie weren't happy at all? Was it possible that Mitch was interested in Savannah? Her thoughts were interrupted when Shelly pulled her car into the restaurant's parking lot and turned off the engine.
They ate lunch while chatting about various topics. Shelly did not mention Mitch and Savannah didn't either. She did wonder in the back of her mind if he did like her in some way. It had been a long time since Savannah had been friendly with a man, especially one as handsome and charming as the detective. Savannah found herself looking forward to the possibility of seeing him again when they returned to the inn.


By the time they returned from the beach it was close to 3:00. Shelly dropped Savannah off at her house. Shelly had calls to make and things to do at home. She promised to call Savannah later that evening about maybe going out for a drink at a local club. Savannah found herself looking forward to getting out on a Saturday night. It had been too long since she had been out with Shelly having a good time.
Savannah had noted with disappointment that Mitch's black Mustang was not in the parking lot when they had returned. She decided to take a nap. She was still tired from working a double shift the day before. When Shelly went out for a drink it was usually closing time when she finally went home. Sometimes a few of the bar patrons would go to somebody's house to continue the party. Then it was usually 3:00 a.m. before she got home. Oh well, it was a lot of fun. Due to her beauty, she never lacked for men asking her to dance. Savannah hoped that Shelly would leave her a guy or two to dance with.
Savannah awoke two hours later feeling refreshed and rested. She took a shower and sat down on the couch to watch a movie while her hair dryed. The phone rang about 6:30 and it was Shelly. They made plans to go to a local country and western club at 8:30. They would drive separately so if one of them left early they would have a way to get home.
Savannah walked over to the office to see how things were going. The clerk on lduty was Diane, a local college student who worked weekends for spending money. She was still on summer vacation so she picked up extra hours besides weekends. She was friendly and knowledgeable and had proven to be a very reliable employee. She assured her boss that things were running smoothly. As Savannah left the office, she took the long way around the building to see if a certain black Mustang was parked outside room 17.
As she rounded the corner of the building, Savannah stopped suddenly. The black car was indeed there as well as its owner. Mitch had his back to Savannah and was leaning into the car getting a couple of sacks out of the back seat. Faded blue jeans hung low on his hips and he was wearing no shirt or shoes. His muscles rippled as he moved and his tan seemed even darker than yesterday. Savannah felt that she should turn and walk the other way before he saw her. However, she couldn't find the strength to do so. Just then, Mitch straightened up and turned to look right at her. She noticed that his jeans weren't buttoned and his hair was wet as if he had just taken a shower. Embarrased that she had been caught staring, Savannah walked down the sidewalk until she was close enough to talk to him.
"Did you have a good time at the beach?" she asked.
"Yes, I did. Natalie's phone call turned out to be more important than we originally thought. She had to go to the office in Summerville for a while. I just got back from taking her there. She is going to rent a car and hopefully come back tomorrow evening. I stopped and did a little shopping while I was out."
"That is too bad that she had to leave your vacation," Savannah remarked.
"Yeah well, her new promotion also means that when problems arise she has to be there to deal with them as part of the management team."
As he closed the car door, he looked Savannah in the eyes and said, "Guess that leaves me alone on a Saturday night."
Before she could even think Savannah blurted out "Shelly and I are going out to the Lone Star. It is a country and western bar in Charleston. Do you like country music?"
"Actually, I do. I spent a few years in Texas when my father was stationed there for the Air Force. I learned to like it then."
Savannah gave him directions and told him they were going in about an hour and a half.
He gave Savannah one of his gorgeous smiles and said "Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Maybe I will see you there." He turned to walk toward the building. Savannah knew it was wrong but she was hoping that he would show up at the Lone Star. She could only imagine how it would feel to be in his arms for a slow dance.
She hurried to the cottage to get ready. This called for a special outfit.
Sign up to rate and review this story