Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Sophomore Slump...or Comeback of the Damn Century

joke me something awful just like kisses on the necks of best friends

by killxsmile 6 reviews

old news might lead to a new relationship...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-09-03 - Updated: 2006-09-04 - 1744 words

1Exciting
Disclaimer: this = fiction

Author's Note: This'll probably be the last update for a while since I start school Tuesday. Hope you guys like it.

c h a p t e r SIX
{ joke me something awful just like kisses on the necks of best friends

*
Emily's POV

"Broken this fragile thing now,
And I can't, I can't pick up the pieces..."


For once, my alarm clock succeeded in waking me at a reasonable hour: 6:00 AM. Feeling like I had a head start on my day, I logged onto AIM.

Luckily, there were a few people online. One of them was Paige.

d3structive: good morning!
unamorous: hello love! what's up?
d3structive: nothing really. Just surprised myself by waking up earlier than noon.
unamorous: ic. it's 4 over here.
d3structive: wow
unamorous: yeah, i know.
d3structive: well what have you been doing in LA? I read you're comment and it sounds like you're having fun.
unamorous: ;)
unamorous: well i kinda have a boyfriend
d3structive: it's been a week since you left. you sure don't waste any time.
unamorous: yeah, his name is James. very sweet, very cute. how about you? i bet there's a boy pining for you in Chicago
d3structive: i wish
unamorous: please. you've NEVER been one to have a shortage of boys
d3structive: iono. I guess there is a boy...
unamorous: see
d3structive: but i don't think he's interested
unamorous: that' s because you're dense.
d3structive: what do you mean?
unamorous: even when it's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS, you never notice when a guy's into you
d3structive: psh. like when?
unamorous: trick.
d3structive: what are you talking about?
unamorous: holy shit, you didn't know?!
d3structive: know what?
unamorous: emi, he was practically in love with you for two years!
d3structive: wtf are you talking about. Trick and I are just friends.
unamorous: yeah, now. in 6th and 7th grade you didn't notice how he'd be all touchy and protective of you?
d3structive: that's how he's always been.
unamorous: don't you remember how he got super nervous when he asked you to the fall dance, or how he got you flowers on valentine's day, or how even though he said he liked Jen Miller he always hung out with you?
d3structive: well...
unamorous: HE LIKED YOU.
unamorous: A LOT
d3structive: I guess that makes sense.
unamorous: durr. of course it makes sense. but moving on, what's the name of the guy who's "not interested"?
d3structive: Pete. he's one of Trick's friends.
unamorous: does he have a myspace?
d3structive: click here
unamorous: ooh, it's loading...
unamorous: this guy's a hottie
unamorous: =]
d3structive: i know
unamorous: well have you talked to him?
d3structive: yeah, we watched movies at my house yesterday
unamorous: did he make a move?
d3structive: no.
unamorous: he's probably just shy
d3structive: =/ i doubt it.
unamorous: well i've gotta go. i have the munchies.
d3structive: okay. bye!
unamorous: and em?
d3structive: yeah?
unamorous: be a little open minded. i bet he likes you.
unamorous has signed off at 6:15 AM

Signing off before I even got to protest. Gah. I'm confused. Trick? Like me? It does explain some things, but am I really that dense? Then there's Pete...Only one thing to do.

"Hello?" I could here the sleep in his voice. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... But I need to get this sorted out.
"Trick?"
"Oh, hey, Em. What's up?"
"Did you like me in 6th and 7th grade."
"Yeah," he yawned.
"That's what I thought...Wait, what?!"
"I liked you."
"Wow. That's...wow."
"Yeah...I hate to be rude, but can we talk about this later? I'm kinda asleep."
"Oh, sorry, Trick."
"No problem. Come over later?"
"Yeah. I'll leave my door unlocked."
"Haha. Bye."
"Bye."

That was eye opening. to say the least. I went downstairs and ate breakfast with my brother for the first time since summer started.

"Good morning, Emi."
"Hey, Ben," I said, pouring him some orange juice. "Do you always get up this early?"
"Yeah."
"Wow. Promise not go get like me and wake up at noon."
"Okay."

We ate our breakfast in silence, then I asked him how he felt about Pete. Ben's a surprisingly good judge of character, so even though he's only 5, I always ask his opinion on the guys I bring home. I rarely take his advice because I think they'll "magically change," but nonetheless, I wanted his input.

"So...What do you think about Pete?"
"I like him. He's funny and he's nice to you."
"Thanks, Ben."
"Whaddabout you?" he asked. "Do you like him?"
"Can you keep a secret?"
He nodded.
"I REALLY like him."

We finished up our breakfast and I washed the dishes. Ben and I watched cartoons until Trick came over.

"Hello," I said, opening the door.
"I have some explaining to do, don't I?"
"Somewhat, yeah. Come in."

We sat on the couch.

"Hello, Trick!"
"Hey Ben! Do you mind giving Emi and I some privacy?"
"I'll go play upstairs."
"Thanks."

"You talked to Paige, didn't you?" Trick asked.
"You don't think that I could have figured this out on my own?"
"Putting it lightly, no," he smirked.
"Okay, okay. I admit, I talked to Paige, but why didn't you tell me?"
"Well, there every time I wanted to say something you'd be with a guy or talking about a guy."
"Yeah, I guess...But was it as blatantly obvious as Paige said?"
"I practically had 'I LOVE EMI' tattooed on my forehead," he laughed.
"Wow. I really am dense."
"Yeah, but look at it this way: that's what makes you so adorable."
"How so?"
"It keeps you from getting nervous and awkward around guys. You're all confident and cute all the time."
"Why thank you, Trick. You're pretty adorable yourself. Care to join me for lunch?"
"Sure. What are we having?" he said, following me into the kitchen.
"Leftover pizza from yesterday." I reached into the fridge and pulled out the box.
"Speaking of yesterday, what happened?"
"What do you mean, 'what happened?'?"
"What did you guys do?"
"Me and Pete watched movies with Ben, then he had to go home for dinner."

"Ben, do you want pizza for lunch?" I asked over the intercom. Suddenly I heard thumping down the stairs and Ben came bursting into the kitchen.
"I take that as a yes." He nodded and sat down at the table.

I took the pizza and heated it up in the microwave. As I was about to take a seat, the phone rang.

"Hello?"

*
Patrick's POV

Emi took her phone call into the living room, leaving me and Ben

"What's the report?" I asked, like I usually did after Emi hangs out with a guy. I know, using Ben as a spy isn't the most honest thing to do, but after knowing her for so long, I've gotten kind of protective.
"Pete was kinda hugging her on the couch... That's it."
"What do you think of Pete?"
"He's funny. I like him."

Emi came back. Looking kind of upset.

"Who was on the phone?"
"Jason."

Ben, can you go upstairs and play with your toys?" I asked.
"Yeah." He put her dishes in the sink and went to his room.

"What's wrong, Em?"
"He wanted to get back together. After I said that it was best that we just stay friends, he called me a whore...said I was garbage..." A single tear ran down her cheek. This really got me worried because Emi was never one to cry over a boy, she's the type that laughed off the insults and let them roll off her back.
"C'mere." I pulled her into a hug.
"Is there something wrong with me?"
"Em, you're perfect. I don't ever wanna see you change, especially for some guy who doesn't see how great you are."
"I just...I don't know." She lifted her head off my chest and looked up at me for a few seconds. That's when it happened. Her lips were on mine.

I was definitely caught off guard. By the time I realized what was happening, she had pulled away,

"I'm sorry, Trick. I don't know what I was thinking."
"It's...It's fine...I think I should go." We were the definition of 'awkward.'

"I'll call you later," I said standing in the doorway. She nodded and closed the door.

*
Emily's POV

"Shit." I leaned on the wall and sank to the floor.

Why did I kiss him? I don't know.

Maybe it was impulse. Maybe it was bottled up feelings. Maybe it was a mistake. But it happened. It happened and I can't change a thing.

Would he really call? Probably.

He doesn't say things that he doesn't mean. I thought he was kidding when he said he'd make a birthday cake out of lime jello for my 10th birthday, but he did. It ended up kinda lopsided, but tasted pretty good.

Will it be awkward. YES.

How could it not be? After denying that I had feelings for him ever since we were kids, I kissed him. Not because we were playing spin the bottle in Jean's basement. Not because one of my ex-boyfriends was coming our way. But 'just because.'

Now for the big question: Did I have feelings for him? Maybe.

After constantly being asked if Trick and I were dating, I admit that I've thought about it. He's adorable, funny and sweet. Plus he's been my friend since I can remember. Would it really be so bad if making out was added to the mix?

As if on cue, my cell rang. I sighed as TRICK appeared on the screen.

First ring. Should I answer this? He could leave a message.
Second ring. I should answer, but what should I say?
Third ring. Fuck it. I'm answering.

"Hello?"
"Hey, it's Trick."

Insert awkward silence here.

"So...I called about..."
"The kiss."
"Yeah."
"What happens now?"
"I don't know."
"I have no idea why I did it..."
"Well maybe we should see where this could go."
"Are you suggesting-"
"A date. No pressure. Just to see if anything happens."
Okaay," I said, cautiously.
"Tomorrow at 7 sound good?"
"Yeah."
"Okay. See you then."
"Bye, Trick."
"Bye."

*
In the words of William Beckett, "Love it or leave it or rip it apart." Review so I know which one you chose.
Sign up to rate and review this story