Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

The Mazerunner

by kaceygabrielle 0 reviews

Theia was the first girl ever to be sent up in the maze. Many questions arise when she meets a boy there whom she remembered from somewhere in her past life.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!] [!!] [!!!] [V] - Published: 2017-06-11 - 1346 words

0Unrated

“Do you remember anything? Name? Age? How you got here?” the African-American boy questioned her. She furrowed her eyebrows in thought.

“Yeah. My name… my name is Theia. Theia Figueroa. I’m… I’m seventeen years old, and I- I have… no idea how I got here. What I do remember, I’m sure it’s useless information.” She stuttered, not making eye contact with either of the boys.

“I promise you, anything you can remember other than your name is very important. I’m sure you've noticed that everybody here is a guy, and we have absolutely no idea why we’re here. You are the only person so far that remembers anything other than their first name.” the Asian boy explained. Theia concentrated as hard as she could, thinking of all the things she could, whether they seemed useful or not.

“The last thing I remember is arguing with a lady.” She sighed, knowing how stupid she seemed. The petite blond boy crouched down to her level.

“What lady?” he asked in a british accent.

“I don't know. I- I know i used to spend a lot of time with her, she was always around. Maybe she was my mom… or my boss?” she said, though it seemed more like a question. Eyebrows took a step closer to her with an annoyed expression on his face.

“Do you at least know what you were arguing about?” he pushed even further. Theia concentrated even harder, pushing my brain to its max.

“She was doing something… something i thought was wrong. We were arguing about a boy. His name was something with at “T”. Like.. Tyler.. Or Theo? No, it was Thomas. His name was Thomas.” Theia remembered.

“God, this is so stupid. She doesn't know anything, and even if she did she's probably with them. Why else would she be a she?” Eyebrows frustratedly exclaimed.

“We’ll ask more questions later. For now, let’s allow Theia to settle in and get used to the Glade. Newt, Can you show her around and inform her about how things work around here? I'll go get that dumbass greenie out of the pit and do the same.” the African-American boy instructed. By then she had come to the conclusion that he was in charge, as he was the one giving orders out. The boy then turned to her.

“I’m Alby.” he said.
“This is Gally.” he pointed to Eyebrows.
“Minho.” The Asian boy.
“And Newt, who'll be showing you around.” The petite british boy.

Theia reluctantly stood up, accepting Alby’s hand. He gave the girl a boost so she easily jumped out of the box, landing not so gracefully on her side. Newt climbed out, followed by Alby, Minho, and lastly, Gally. Newt began showing her around, but the brunette turned out for most of his explanation, looking over the place she was in. The stone walls surrounding the Glade were at least 100ft tall and covered in green vines. Only the vines stopped at about three-fourths up, making it impossible to climb. There were boys scattered around doing their jobs.

“This is where we sleep. It isn't ideal, but it works.” he told her as they approached an obviously man made building with rows of hammocks lined up inside. He showed her every other place in the glade and introduced her to almost everybody. He showed Theia where everybody worked, the Med-Jacks, the Builders, the Slicers, the Track-Hoes, the Baggers, the Sloppers, the Bricknicks, the Cooks, and the Runners.

“I still don't exactly understand what the Runners do.” Theia spoke up. Newt sighed inwardly, turning to face the girl completely.

“All you need to know, is that they go out there, in the Maze, every day, mapping it out. And you can't go out there. Ever.” Newt vaguely told her, confusing her even more than before.

“Why not?” she questioned him.

“Because that is one of the only rules here in the Glade. Rule number one: Everyone has to do their part. If they didn't, then we wouldn't be where we are now. We all have to work with each other in order to survive. Rule number two: Never hurt another Glader. What we have here is built on trust. If we don't trust each other, then it would be impossible work with each other and get things done. And rule number three: Only the Runners are allowed in the Maze. which means you,” he explained, pointing a finger at her, “have to stay in here.” Theia nodded her head in understanding.

“So you made all this by yourselves?” she asked with slight admiration laced in her tone.

“Yep.” he answered. His dark brown eyes drifted from my own whiskey-colored ones as he looked over the Glade with a hint of sadness in his expression.

“We grow our own food. We build our own shelter. We've lived here for years. I guess i wouldn't really call it living, more like surviving. But were all a family here, and we do care about each other. Even Gally, though he can be a huge shuckface sometimes. But we've survived, without any help, except for what the box brings up. Whatever we need, the Box provides. The rest is up to us. It's sent up once a month with fresh supplies and a new Greenie. This month that's you and this Shank that tried running away. He's right up there, i'll introduce you.” Newt said, his eyes finally meeting Theia’s again. He led her over to Alby and the new “Greenie” who were having a conversation. Once they saw the two their conversation halted, Alby and the Greenie’s attention diverting to Newt.

“Green Bean, meet Newt. When I'm not around, he's in charge.” he introduced the Greenie to Newt.

“Well, it's a good thing you're always around then.” the british boy joked. “That was some dash you made earlier. For a second, I thought you had the chops to be a runner...till you face-planted. That was great.” he laughed. The Greenie kept a straight face at Newt’s words, attempting to mask his embarrassment of the events that took place earlier in the day.

The Greenie turned to Theia and a look of pure confusion spread across his face. When the boy first entered the Glade, he just assumed there were only boys, and this was the first girl he'd come across so far.

“Who’s that?” he asked no one in particular. He nodded his head toward the brunette girl whose petite figure was almost completely blocked from his line of sight. Upon seeing this, Newt smirked at the girl, realizing she wasn't very fond of meeting new people.

“This,” he started while pushing Theia in front of him, “is Theia, your fellow Greenie.” She gave the boy a meek wave while she smiled sheepishly at his confused stare.

“Yo, Green Bean!” Gally yelled while making his way over to the group of teenagers. The nameless boy turned his head toward the boy Theia had previously referred to as Eyebrows. “Not you, ya Shank! The girl.” he told the boy, turning his head to the brunette.

“There was a note on five of the crates that came up in the Box, they said that you need to open them.” he told her as he fished the piece of paper out of his pocket. She took the note out of his hands and read it silently.

Theia,
It is to my great displeasure that you had to be sent up to the Maze. I had better not say too much, because you can't know anything, for you might risk ruining our whole operation. I wanted to send some of your personal items up with you so you wouldn’t feel too lonely. You’ll see I included some of your favorite candy bars, snack foods, clothes, books, and your guitar. You probably don't remember how to play at the moment, but I promise it will come back to you.

Sincerely,
W.C.K.D
Sign up to rate and review this story