Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

The Magic Of Karaoke

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

Still disoriented and concussed, Snape explores Muggle entertainment with Gryffindors.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-09 - Updated: 2006-09-09 - 2959 words - Complete

2Exciting
Severus was holding Zelda, thinking of her words, when there was a knock on the bedroom door. "What is it?" he snapped curtly, not pleased to be interrupted.

Harry opened the door cautiously, and after one glance toward them, averted his eyes and stammered hastily, "We've got company, Professor."

"Get rid of them," he snapped.

"It's Zelda's friend, Michael, with a woman." explained Harry, "He said Zelda has five minutes to get ready to go to the Blue Moon." His dismay at delivering bad news was eased by the fact that Snape was unable to do anything to him at this moment. In fact, he saw that Snape, seeing his thoughts, was rolling his eyes slightly.

Zelda heard their exchange, torn between amusement and horror. "Harry, go back to your friends, before Michael gets their whole life story out of them!" she ordered. "Tell him I'll be right out."

As the door closed, she flung back the comforter and flew to her closet, saying irritably, "The only way they'll leave is if I go with them for an hour or two, Sev, but you don't have to go," As she spoke, he watched her slip a black, lacy something on, with a silky blouse over it. The blouse was not buttoned up very far, and the lace showed. She pulled a pair of panties on, and then jeans, before jamming her feet into a pair of black boots. She grabbed a brush, ran it quickly through her hair, snarling at her reflection in the mirror. She was rummaging through her jewelry drawer when she realized that Severus was standing behind her, fully dressed, as she put on dangly earrings.

"May I come along, my girl?" he asked, running a finger along the V in her blouse.

"Goddess, dear boy, I'm about to make an ass of myself, and I don't really need you to witness it," she said, blushing slightly.

"I would not miss it for the world then, Zelda," he replied smoothly.

She muttered something ugly under her breath, as she ran to the living room, where Michael eyed her with great interest.

"Is this your duty as a hostess, Zel?" Michael mockingly asked, watching Severus follow her out of her bedroom. "Should I ask if this guy's intentions are honorable? This is a new thing for you, babe."

Severus watched with malicious amusement as Harry tried not to laugh, and his friends stared at this strange performance.

"You'd better ask me what my intentions are, Michael... not that I'll tell you," she replied nastily, and turned to the red haired young woman with him. "Jess, it's been ages, how are you?" she said, warmly hugging her.

"I'm sorry if it's a bad time, but Michael said you'd sing with me tonight," Jess said, blushing shyly.

"Sweetie, of course I'll do it," Zelda answered warmly, whilst mentally cursing to herself. "Indigo Girls?"

"Yeah, that's just what I want tonight," Jess responded, her thin face lighting up with joy.

Zelda closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She said "I'd like to walk, so Severus and I will meet you there," she suggested. "Least complicated, okay with you, Jess?"

"Perfect." Jess beamed as she left with Michael.

Zelda turned to find four pairs of eyes fixed on her. "Do any of you know what Karaoke is?" she asked them.

Harry and Ron looked mystified, Severus, eyes gleaming maliciously, didn't care, but Hermione said, "I do." She looked intrigued.

"Does anybody want to stay here?" Zelda looked hopefully around the group, but she realized none of them wanted to miss whatever was happening. "Okay," she said, "Harry's my nephew, remember? Ron and Hermione, you're exchange students from Harry's school, visiting him before he goes to Chicago to a science conference for gifted students. Severus, wipe that smirk off your face, you're a chemistry teacher, and Harry's your most brilliant student. Got it?"

"What school do we go to?" Ron asked curiously.

"Goddess! I don't know...Eton, no; they don't take girls, do they? Improvise, young Weasley. But not too much!" she answered, rolling her eyes. "Follow me, and the drinking age is twenty one, so stick to Pepsi, okay?" She led them out and locked the door, wondering where her happy illusion of controlling her own life had gone.

The Blue Moon was a noisy, smoky, crowded neighborhood bar. Zelda found a table in a dark corner, sent Harry for popcorn, tossed her purse to Hermione, and said, "Pay for drinks, okay?" They watched her slide through the crowd to Jess, waiting next to a small stage, wringing her hands nervously. Her face lit up when she saw Zelda.

A young announcer sitting at the edge of the stage said, "Welcome to Karaoke Night at the Blue Moon. If you want to be a star, sign up right here. First up, for the first time in ages, we have Jess and Zelda, doin' a little Indigo Girls."

Severus watched fascinated to see what she would do, as Zelda stepped up on stage with young Jess, and music started to play. Zelda stepped forward, took a microphone and began to sing, "I sit two stories above the street... it's awful quiet here since love fell asleep... there's life down below me though the kids are walking home from school..." Zelda's voice was untrained, but very sweet. Jess joined in, and the bar crowd quieted, and a few people began singing along. The words to the song flashed on the wall behind the stage. Gradually, Zelda slid into the harmony. Jess had a beautiful voice, and the song had a happy beat, and Zelda clowned around a bit, dancing with Michael when he stepped on stage at one point, then pushing him off as she began to sing the last chorus with Jess, "the hardest to learn was the least complicated."

They finished to loud applause, Zelda stepped back and let Jess take a bow, and then the next performer took the stage. Zelda talked briefly to Jess, accepted a bottle of beer and a hug from a smiling woman, then, cheeks flaming, slithered back to the table where the Hogwarts contingent waited silently. Harry stood to let her sit next to Severus. She looked around and said, "Talk amongst yourselves, for heaven's sake, and don't look at me!"

"That was brilliant, Zelda," Harry said enthusiastically. "You were great."

"Yeah," Ron chimed in. " I wish they'd do Karaoke Night at The Three Broomsticks! Can you do any kind of music you want?" he added, as a pimply young man on stage growled out 'White Wedding' by Billy Idol.

"Any kind, Ron, if it's not original, or creative, and doesn't exhibit too much talent," Zelda replied sarcastically. Sipping at her beer. She turned shyly to Severus, despising herself for caring what he thought, and said, "Well?"

He didn't speak, but took her hand and smiled into her eyes. They stayed like that for a long moment, and she smiled sweetly back at him. It was such an intimate look that Ron squirmed. Hermione watched them, and her expression softened. She turned to Harry, who mouthed to her "D'you see now?" She nodded, fascinated.

Michael arrived, and pulled a chair up to the table. "Enough smoldering looks, you two, this is a public place and there are children present."

Zelda grinned at him, her hand still held by Severus, and said; "I've seen enough smoldering looks from you, Michael, when you've found a hot prospect. Don't you go all puritanical on me? Jealous?" Her expression became serious and she asked, "Why tonight, Michael? You didn't just want to harass me. What's with Jess? She seemed fine last time I saw her."

"Her mom's sick, she was diagnosed with cancer yesterday, and Jess is a mess about it," he said with a frown. "Karaoke with you is therapy tonight, darling." He looked hopefully at her and asked, "Will you do another one with her?"

"I already told her I would," Zelda responded quietly. "I don't know why you don't sing with her, though. A putrid, smoldering ballad, the kind you love. You have an awesome voice, Michael, and I'd much rather see you up there."

"You bet you would, babe," Michael smirked. Standing up, he glanced at Severus, and said invitingly, "If you get tired of the ordinary, buddy, I'll buy you a drink later."

"Who do you consider ordinary?" Zelda snapped. She threw their popcorn, basket and all, at his head, and he strolled away brushing popcorn off his shoulders, completely unfazed. Biting her lip, she turned to her companions. Harry had collapsed, head in his hands and shoulders heaving with laughter. The other two sat completely still, seeming to want to become invisible, while Severus... Zelda's eyebrow went up. "If you had your wand, exactly what would you do to Michael, Sev?"

He flushed, but shrugged resignedly and said softly, "If you are 'the ordinary' darling girl, then we are fine. You warned me earlier, Zelda."

Hermione was paying such close attention to the performers, that Zelda wondered if she was thinking of inventing a magical Karaoke for the wizarding world. Zelda set out to entertain the boys, and they spent the next hour laughing and comparing impressions of the Blue Moon, as Severus watched them in silence.

Jess got up alone and sang a song called "fare thee well," a sweet showcase for her remarkable voice. It was a mournful melody, with words of love and loss, and Zelda said irritably, "I hate this song, I want to drop my head on the table and sob."

"It's lovely. She has a gorgeous voice," said Hermione defensively, as the crowd applauded wildly.

"Of course she does," Zelda replied. "And the song's so lovely that I can't stand it." She asked thoughtfully, "Hermione, would you like to come and talk with Jess with me? I think she'd love to meet you."

"Okay," Hermione said with a shy smile. They departed, leaving Harry between Ron and Snape, wondering if he'd have to referee. He reckoned without Ron's impulsive curiosity, however.

"Professor, how did you meet Zelda?" Ron asked. "I've never known any Muggles, except I've seen Harry's relatives. I never knew there were interesting Muggles."

"Weasley, what you do not know could... Oh, never mind," Snape muttered. He looked sourly at Harry, and added, "She told you, did she not, Potter?" and when Harry nodded, he said, "Bellatrix Lestrange dragged me to a forest, hours away from here, and then left me to die, after doing a little bit of impromptu surgery on me, I might add. Zelda found me afterwards."

"Surgery?" Ron asked apprehensively.

"She hacked the Dark Mark off my arm with a cursed blade," Snape replied bluntly. He paused, looking astonished, and said, "I must have lost my wits completely! Now that my wand is here, I can heal this mess and be done with it." His black eyes gleamed, and he continued, "I wonder how soon we can leave."

Er... Not just yet, Sir." Harry said. "Look!"

The young announcer said, "People. Give it up for Zelda, Hermione and Jess. They're singing "the wood song," another one from the Indigo Girls.

Again, Zelda sang first, "The thin horizon of a plan is almost clear... my friends and I have had a hard time... bruising our brains... hard up against change... all the old dogs and the magician..."

Hermione joined in, hesitantly at first, but gaining strength, and finally Jess's pure voice soared over the others, and the crowd grew quiet, listening to the last verse; "No one gets to miss the storm of what will be... just holding on for the ride... the wood is tired... the wood is old... and we'll make it fine if the weather holds... but if the weather holds... then we'll have missed the point... that's where I need to go."

The audience applauded, Ron and Harry were clapping for Hermione. Snape watched them, thinking that his Zelda had a remarkable magic of her own. He watched Jess hug Zelda, then Hermione, and run over to join Michael. The young announcer called Hermione and Zelda over to his table, and handed Hermione a small bundle, shaking her hand. As they worked their way through the crowd, several complete strangers greeted Hermione and Zelda. Hermione was glowing when she came back to the table.

"Ron, Harry, look!" she said excitedly, "They gave me this shirt!" She proudly held up a blue t-shirt that proclaimed "Karaoke Star at the Blue Moon Bar," and laughed as Zelda joined them. "Thank you Zelda, that was fun!" Hermione gushed.

"It was fun," Zelda responded, "but I'm tired, and this'll go on for hours. May we leave now?"

Severus was the first one on his feet, and Zelda laughed at his eagerness to depart. "I'm sorry, Sev. From now on we keep doors locked and blinds drawn, in case Michael has any more amusing ideas," Harry joined them, walking on Zelda's right, while Severus was on her left, and Ron and Hermione lagged a bit behind.

Outside, it was dark at last, and as they walked Severus said, "You do not enjoy that, Zelda. Why did you do it? Is it for Jess?"

"Yes." Zelda said softly. "Two years ago she attempted suicide... and Michael sort of adopted her." She sighed and continued, "Michael can be a total pain, but he's a very loving person. He takes care of people. Jess was abused by her father," she said sadly. "She grew up in hell."

"She's twenty-four," she continued, "and musically gifted. It was Michael's idea to have her try Karaoke, but she was scared to sing alone. Jess loves the Indigo Girls, and Michael can't sing those songs with her. So I do," she said wryly. "Very few people know I'm a Karaoke Queen."

"It looked like you were having a great time," said Harry, "Did you really hate it?"

She considered his question. "I like to sing, but I hate to perform. I'd never want Jess to know, though, or what would be the point? If I'm wearing the mask, Harry, I'll do it well."

They entered the house, and Zelda glanced back and saw Ron and Hermione walking close together, his arm around her shoulders. She said nothing, but left the door ajar for them.

Harry and Severus went straight to the kitchen, and Zelda followed, intrigued. Severus's wand was still on the table, but he seemed oddly reluctant to pick it up. Harry and Zelda glanced at each other, and back to Severus, who looked at Zelda. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"The last time I touched it, I did not know you existed, Zelda," he said slowly. "My life has changed since I last held it... I wonder what will come now..."

Zelda reached for the wand and picked it up, looking thoughtfully at it, and wrapped Severus's hand around it, saying, "It's time to see, isn't it?"

Harry was amused by her practicality. "Zelda," he said impulsively, "I think Professor Dumbledore would have really liked you."

She smiled and said, "Really? That's a huge compliment. Thank you."

Ron and Hermione entered the kitchen, a bit dazed by the bright light. Severus sat down at the table and removed the bandage from his forearm. They all looked intently at him. The wound was still oozing blood, and it resembled raw meat. "Do you all plan to watch me?" he enquired acidly.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Zelda replied. "Unless you need to be alone to do it. I'll go then, and take these creatures with me."

"There will not be much to see, dear girl," Severus said, resigned to the company. "If there was poison on the knife blade, I should know by now. I will only need to destroy any infection, and speed the growth of new flesh. Please be quiet," he said, glaring at all in the room, apart from Zelda.

He examined the wound closely, poked at it with a finger, sniffed it and pointed his wand at it, saying nothing. They watched carefully, but the healing was so gradual that they didn't immediately notice a difference. Gradually, the area that had looked like bloody meat began to develop a delicate skin over it. The process took almost half an hour, but when he was finished, Severus had a thin layer of clean scar tissue where the Dark Mark had been for so long. He looked wearily at Zelda, eyes glowing triumphantly. She gazed back, saying, "It's really gone, isn't it? You're sure about that thank you note?"

"I am quite sure," Severus was weakened by healing himself, but deeply content with his work. "Normally that would have been simple..." He rose and swayed a little, but Zelda put her arm around his waist, and walked him toward the bedroom.

"Go ahead," she told him lovingly. "I'll be along soon." He closed the bedroom door, and Zelda turned to the others. "Sleep where you want to," she told them. "Couch or guest rooms. You'll find extra bedding in the hall closet. The TV is behind the plants, if you want it, but keep it down. I hope you're not allergic to cats, because they'll come out when you're quiet. Eat whatever you want, and please don't wake us up, okay?" Her eyes twinkled merrily. "Old people need their rest and I'm feeling quite old tonight."

She headed for her room, but stopped and said, "Good night, kids, see you in the morning." As she opened her bedroom door, she turned and added, "And Harry... practice your Occlumency!" The door snapped shut.


Song Lyrics by The Indigo Girls, Swamp Ophelia, 1994. http://www.indigogirls.com/discographyandlyrics/swampophelia.html

Sign up to rate and review this story