Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

A Lesson in Latin

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Lonny?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Luna,Ron - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2017-08-03 - 4982 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hermione's face was well hidden behind the guard that escorted her through the Ministry Auditorium. Yet her eyes did little to hide the turmoil in her heart. She saw the eyes of strangers, some belonged to former friends and colleagues. Outside of the LLR and the closest of friends, she trusted nobody and they might be possessed.

Hermione looked over to Ron, who looked over to her as he finished speaking to Ginny before heading towards them. Hermione stared into Ron's eyes as he walked over, before nodding to herself, seeing no sign of possession in her love's eyes. Ron spoke when he reached them, gazing at the gun not so subtly aimed at his head. "So where are you off to in such a hurry."

Hermione noticed the nervous guard and pulled Ron to the side, out of the guns aim. "If you must know I have a meeting with-"

"MAGIC IS MIGHT!"

Hermione had always read when you were about to die time slows down and your life flashes before your eyes. That was a lie, everything happens really fast. Hermione didn't realize the curse had missed her until the ground beneath her exploded and sent her flying across the room. the Guard beside her dropped to the floor. Suddenly a Reducto hit the floor and Hermione was sent flying across the room.

Hermione looked up and saw the fear in her guard's empty eyes, fear he no longer felt. Hermione ducked back down as explosions and gunfire filled the room.

Hermione rose to her hands and knees and saw the attackers weren't Totalitar, Goblin or Muggles, but regular Wizards with faces painted red. The Man charged screaming.

MAGIC IS MIGHT!

MAGIC IS MIGHT!

Hermione drew her wand fast but the bullets flew faster, tearing through her attacker and leaving him a bloody mess, dead on the Ministry floor. Hermione rose to her feet and saw other Wizards attacking the Ministry. Then Hermione's heart caught in her throat as she saw Ron lying on the floor holding a mangled arm and ran to him.

She was in the process of stabilizing Ron's broken arm, when the Goblins burst onto the scene.

MAGIC IS MIGHT!

MAGIC IS MIGHT!

MAGIC IS MIGH-

-GRANGER!

Hermione snapped to attention as she looked at the people around the table. "Sorry I just..."

"You need rest."

"I don't have time to rest I want to know what the Bloody Hell is Going on." Hermione snapped irritably. We are on the verge of global warfare. Can it not be stopped?" The Minister of Magic asked anxiously as she looked around the table.

The Queen uttered softly. "I'm afraid the power in England belongs to neither us Royalty or the Prime Minister. It is the Master's of war which run the country now, and as long as they profit from it, there will be a war."

The Minister slammed her hand on the table and shouted. "What profit can be found in Armageddon?!"

"When you are the last person on earth, you don't have to share." The Minister looked to the other figure at the table who continued with a growled. "Half of the Goblin force is roaming the country, ambushing villages. The Totalitar have become an organization of terror. This is not just a war that cannot be prevented, it is inevitable. Country against country, people against people. Everyone is fighting this war and all sides have been split in two."

The Minister looked between the other two leaders and hissed."We cannot just sit back and let a world war breakout. A world war which will eclipse the first two world wars!? We are talking about the end off modern civilization. I refuse to let this happen."

"We can't stop two people from defending themselves. As long as there are instigators, there must be retaliation. The only other option is unconditional surrender." The Queen replied bitterly.

Ragnok sighed as he rubbed his bald head. "If only Luna was here."

The Minister raised an eyebrow. "That's it? Your saying Luna is our only hope. She is only one person and is in no condition to help anybody right now."

"The girl has astonishingly, captured the hearts of Goblins, Wizards and Muggles. She already had quite the following before the Ministry coup. The events of Pandora's Box and her escape from the clutches of Delores Umbridge were intended to be kept secret. So of course their isn't a soul alive who hasn't heard the tale." Ragnok uttered bitterly.

The Queen nodded solemnly. "Luna Lovegood is a modern day saint. She is seen by many as a prophet, a saint by others and a leader to be followed."

"Luna? They think she's all this? She's brilliant sure but she's just... just Luna?" The Minister asked incredulously.

"They never met the girl but rumors spread." The Queen uttered. "The people know what is coming. The Cuban Missile Crisis wasn't as foreboding to this great earth as this war. The world is praying, that she can save them. Luna in their eyes, is our last hope."

The Minister sighed with dismay. "They are probably right...but Luna can't do anything right now. She's already paying the price for saving them once...Without Luna, what is our course of action."

"There is only one thing we can do Minister Granger." Ragnok answered grimly. "Prepare for War."

"Today, shall be a day of reckoning. The times ahead shall be rough and our own children cannot be trusted. The Queen herself has forsaken us to the Mercy of the Magi, even going as far as to help them with their dastardly deeds. The war we fight will not only be for our survival, but for our freedom. May God have Mercy on our souls, for our enemy has none." The Muggle Prime Minister uttered solemnly. The man behind him was invisible as he controlled the Prime Minister's action with a wave of his wand.

Hermione's face was well hidden behind the guard that escorted her. Yet her eyes did little to hide the turmoil in her heart. She saw the eyes of strangers, some belonged to former friends and colleagues. Out side of the LLR and the closest of friends, she trusted nobody and they might be possessed. She stopped as her Guards parted, revealing a Healer Rose. "If you are here to see Mister Weasley he is recovering from the Skele-Gro. He should be ready to leave by... "

"11 pm tonight, I already know. I'm here to see Luna Lovegood and her visitor. Has there been any progress?" Hermione asked with a hopeful tone.

The Healer held a hint of pity in her eyes as she shook her head. "If anything we've had a distinct lack of progress."

The Healer looked around the hall way before whispering to Hermione. "It doesn't make sense, all forms of magic reveal her to be in perfect physical and mental health...Yet her condition hasn't changed. Her Magical core is as small as it is unstable and she seems...almost traumatized."

Hermione sighed sadly. "We all are traumatized...but I doubt any of us have gone through nearly as much as she has..."

"It's not P.T.S. if that is what you refer to..." The Healer looked real nervous now as she glanced at the Muggle guards and Hermione remembered the vow of secrecy she had demanded from the Healer.

Hermione turned to her guards and gestured. "I know its a new thing for Wizards and Witches to speak of these thing in the presence of colleagues but they are sworn to secrecy. The Majesty's guard will not betray our secrets."

The Nurse fidgeted before saying. "It's like she...whatever she saw in this room of magic you spoke of...it traumatized her with knowledge, colours, and visions, at an overwhelming rate. The Human mind can only take so much and...her mind seems to have shut down to a certain extent...oblivious to the world. For the most part she just stares at things only she can see. She doesn't speak, she hardly blinks. It's like we don't exist to her. No one can reach her or get through to her...but one."

Hermione nodded as she kindly dismissed her Guards for the evening. "Take me to them."

Across the ocean another Totalitar waved his wand as the President of the United States of America uttered. "We will declare war on all Countries that defend and protect the magi, allowing their evil to pollute us. Those countries including Britain, Australia, Canada, Sweden, China and Russia!"

The Reporters cried out one being heard over the Mob. "Wasn't Russia anti Magi?!

"There will be no further questions!" Announced the leader of the free world, now no more then a puppet.

Hermione composed herself as she approached the room at the end of the the seventh floor hallway. It was hidden under a fidelius charm to everyone but those Harry told. Outside of a few mind healers Hermione was the only other person he told. Harry was reluctant even to do that, even the Weasleys were not given access to see Luna, and it was Ginny who was able figure out why.

Hermione knocked on the door and heard Harry's voice call her in. The Mind Healer entered as Hermione followed behind her. Harry was facing away from the door. With Luna leaning on his shoulder. Harry looked over his shoulder before whispering into Luna's ear and helping the girl sit up on her own. Luna's head seemed to wobble before focusing on something. Hermione walked around and looked Luna in the face, the face of their only hope.

Luna's eyes were always dreamy but right now she indeed seemed oblivious to the world. Her eyes surveying the room lackadaisically, tracking the movements of something that wasn't there. Luna pointed at it as her other hand poked Harry. Harry looked to Hermione as the Nurse started casting diagnostic spells on Luna.

Harry whispered something to Luna before following Hermione out of the room. Harry rested against the wall and rubbed his eyes with exhaustion. "About time you visited again, if you weren't so busy I'd be insulted."

Hermione ignored his comment before whispering. "How are you holding up."

Harry shrugged. "It doesn't matter, I'm not the one who needs to be helped up."

"Luna's being taken care of Harry." Hermione answered with concern. "I'm worried about who's taking care of you. When's the last time you've slept."

"I sleep a lot." Harry lied tiredly. "I just don't sleep well."

Hermione nodded before pulling Harry into a comforting hug. "She'll be OK, I know she will."

Harry sighed. "How can you be so certain."

Hermione smiled softly as she pulled back from the embrace. "I believe that if there was something Luna could not overcome she would never have made it this far."

Hermione looked into the room as Luna's stared out the window with a slight frown. Harry noticed this and replied. "What ever is wrong with her, she's still got her intelligence. She realizes it's only a glamour but seems dead set on figuring out what it is."

"Maybe it would do her well to have more company." Hermione spoke carefully, not at all surprised when Harry rebuffed her.

"I don't want anyone to see her like this."

"She needs to use that brain of hers if she is going to recover." Hermione replied sharply. "'For Merlin's sake they say I'm the "Smartest Witch of my Generation," I think we both know who that prize really belongs too."

Harry nodded before uttering darkly. "But she had a different title didn't she?"

Hermione stared at Harry as she remembered Ginny's words. Hermione whispered. "She wasn't the first genius to be a called Loony, she won't be the last."

Harry snapped. "What do you think they will say if they see her like this."

"Your friends will not call her Loony." Hermione scolded sharply.

"No, not to her face, or mine, but they will think it and whisper it." Harry replied morosely. "They'd be right too...She is so much more...she deserves better then that."

Harry looked at Hermione's sad eyes. "The healers say that...whatever happened in Pandora's Box, warped her sense of reality, and perception of consciousness. She doesn't speak and her brain activity is not of a person who is conscious but one who is dreaming. She used to speak of a veil. Not a literal one, but one that seemed to keep the world and the people in it at arms reach from her. She said the more time she spent with me, the more the veil seemed to fade. Now it feels like it's back, and she can no longer see through it at all."

Hermione listened silently before she whispered. "Do they have any idea how long she will be like this?"

Harry shook his head. "7 minutes, 7 days 7 years, 7 lifetimes? They don't know."

Hermione muttered under her breath. "You won't have to worry about seven years."

"Whats that..." Harry asked before he was distracted by the Healer who has just exited the room.

The Healer whispered. "I have conjured a self playing piano as per your request. Other than that let me know if you notice any changes."

Hermione spoke up. "What is her magical core at."

The Healer looked to Harry who nodded before answering. "2"

Hermione looked at the Healer in shock. "She's a Squib then...truly...she can't do magic. That core is almost at the level of a Muggles."

The Healer nodded. "I'm afraid her spell casting days are over."

Hermione gripped Harry's hand for support who gripped it back tightly. "I'm going to have a quick word with Harry, can you wait for me before I visit Ron."

"Of course Minister Granger." The Healer replied before turning to Harry. "Oh I forgot, what music did you want to play."

Harry regained his composure enough to whisper. "She likes Beethoven."

The Healer nodded with a wave of her wand before walking down the hallway. Harry frowned as he took in something Hermione had said. "What's wrong with Ron?"

Hermione bristled. "Broke his arm, had to have the bones vanished and regrown."

"What happened?" Harry asked sharply.

"It was nothing-" Hermione paused, meeting Harry's eyes before sighing in defeat. "There was an...attempt...on my life,"

"What!?" Harry shouted. "Who was it. The Totalitar, the Goblins. The-"

"It was a blood purist Harry." Hermione hissed bitterly. "I wasn't in any danger, I had Ragnok's guard deflect the Reducto curse well enough but Ron just had to chase after him. Got his arm broken, didn't even catch him...the Goblin's did that, and made a mess of things by executing the man on the spot, right on the Ministry floor. The PRESS BLAMED ME! Merlin I was giving the Goblins hell and when Ragnok arrived. Then he ordered the offending guard to be executed. Was able to stop that thank Merlin's eyes, but I was this close to breaking Ragnok's nose."

Hermione cursed under her breath alarming Harry as she continued to vent. "I'm the first Muggle Born to ever hold the title of Minister and it was due to an emergency assembly of a previously defunct Wizengamot. I'm not a popular Witch right now. I'm trying to prevent the third world war, a war that would eliminate life from this earth, and I can't even unite the people I have sworn to serve."

Hermione took a deep breath as her voice started to crack. "All I ever wanted, was to make a difference. I've dreamed of being the first Muggleborn Minister of Magic for years but, not like this. Not only that, I will be the last Minister. I could not live with such a distinction but I guess that's the point, I won't have to."

"You can stop this war, I know you can. Besides look at how much you have achieved in 8 years." Harry replied. "For Merlin's sake the Hermione I first met worshiped the rules and authority and now you have overthrown a Magical government run by a ruthless Dictator. You should be proud of what you have accomplished.

Hermione shook her head. "No...I can't...I can't keep it together Harry. I have so many things I wish to achieve and accomplish. It's consuming my life, it is my life. I love this, not the the burgeoning war or the assassination attempts, but I love being the Minister. I love making a difference but I fear that...

Hermione looked away. "I like being in charge, I like it too much. Am I no different than her Harry? Am I no better then Umbridge?"

Harry smiled. "The fact that you are worried of becoming Umbridge shows that you aren't her. You are Hermione Granger, and you will always want to help people anyway you can...just like Luna."

Hermione gave a small smile before she looked to Luna, who's eyes were closed as a soft tune played itself on the piano. "She's our only hope, Harry."

Hermione couldn't help but notice how tired Harry looked as he stared at Luna. He looked so broken to her. "I know...in more ways than one. She never wanted to be a saint...neither of us did. In the end we both sacrificed ourselves to the betterment of others."

Hermione nodded as she felt her heart ache for every time she had believed Harry was dead, every injury he went through, all the pain he suffered. She also thought about how much Luna had been through and everything they both had lost. "It wasn't worth it. You both sacrificed too much. For what, a couple more years, or even days. Until we change our ways all saints and martyrs die in vain."

Hermione sniffed as she bit back her tears. "You gave too much to people who don't deserve it."

"Luna and I gave nothing for them." Harry whispered softly. "We did it for the people we loved, we did it for each other, we did it for you and the rest of our friends. We did it for people who have suffered like we have suffered. I've long stopped trying to figure out why I am the way I am. Why I have what you call a "Saving people thing?" Maybe it's just who we are. Maybe some people are destined, to suffer for the good of others..."

Harry was silent for a moment before he said. "Maybe I like it. I like the way I feel when I help someone. I like the attention of being a hero. I like the pride it gives me, and I like proving people wrong. I...I liked having a purpose, When Voldemort was gone, I felt empty. At first I thought it was the war, and the grief from it. The grief faded with time and...I still felt empty. I don't feel like my life started until I left for Hogwarts and if that is so then I spent my whole life fighting Voldemort. I wasn't grieving Hermione...I was bored. A part of me was disappointed that the war was over...and I hated that, I hated myself for that. I wanted to be someone else. So I ran away from myself, and Aurors...and found...I found her."

Harry turned around and abruptly walked into the room and sat by Luna, before crying on her shoulder. Luna rested her head on Harry's while staring at something only she could see. Hermione shook her head with sorrow before leaving the couple.

"You should have killed the girl. You were foolish to let your compassion get in the way of our fight with the humans." A Goblin cried out.

Ragnok growled to his people. "What is the use of having Goblin friends if we do not treat them as such."

The Humans will destroy us along with themselves long before we achieve our rightful place on this earth. This is madness."

"Humans are Mad! They should all drink Elf blood."

"What!?"

"Shut up!"

"SILENCE!" Ragnok roared, silencing his Goblins. "We shall fight alongside the Humans that respect us to keep this world inhabitable. Without an inhabitable planet we will all find equality in the dirt!"

"Better equality in the dirt than beneath the ones that put us there!" Another Goblin with a nasally voice squealed.

One with a deep monolithic voice boomed. "We must reunite with the real Goblin king Drologck!"

Ragnok raised his sword and shouted. "Mention that traitor in my presence and I will butcher you all."

"Drologck" Ragnok heard from behind him as his own guard stabbed him in the arm with a dagger. Ragnok roared as his guards grabbed hold of him and and held him up to his people who were all holding daggers. "Drologck has agreed to let us rejoin his ranks all crimes forgotten, if we bring him your head."

Ragnok broke free and removed the dagger from his arm and impaled it into his guard, uttering a mocking growl of. "Et tu, Brute?"

A Goblin lunged forward but with a grin Ragnok drew his sword and yelled. "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!"

Harry didn't know when he had fallen asleep but woke up to the sound of the piano still playing relaxing tunes...yet Harry immediately noticed something was different. This song was haunting, sorrowful and utterly beautiful. As Harry rubbed the sleep from his eyes he had a sudden sense of deja vu. He had heard this song before.

Harry rose from the bed and saw Luna standing at the piano. At some point the music must have stopped, something she responded to by playing this divine peace of music herself. Harry quietly rose from the bed as he slowly approached Luna as she played the song she had told him once was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Harry remembered the day, it seemed like years when he last saw her playing.

Harry, his heart breaking as he realized Luna was still oblivious to the world, yet as he rested a hand on her shoulder Luna smiled. Then Luna started playing a different song. It was just as beautiful as the last one, only more romantic and more blissful. Harry felt tears run down his eyes as he realized, even like this, she still loved him, and Harry wept as he embraced her. Luna then smiled and looked almost mischievous as she picked up the tempo, or maybe the song was supposed to go that way. Then Luna backed away from the piano that now played by itself and extended a hand to Harry.

Harry slowly took it and started dancing. Harry couldn't keep from laughing as he led her through a a slow dance across the room which slowly got more and more playful. Harry lifted her into the air and Luna laughed, a sound Harry thought he'd never hear again. Harry kissed Luna and she kissed him back and suddenly Harry forgot about everything, the inevitable war, the danger, the people he cared for. All he remembered was his love for the girl in his arms.

Then the song slowed down and another soft song was playing. Luna smiled sadly as she rested her head on Harry's chest and allowed Harry to slowly dance with her. The piano slowly played slower and slower before stopping all together and Harry knew Luna had fallen asleep. Harry gently placed Luna back on the bed and tucked her in, before giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Luna...please come back to me...please..."

Harry paused as before he slowly looked to the piano, that had continued to play after Luna had abandoned it to dance with him...even though the spell had worn off...

"Ron we've got to hurry, you heard what the letter said." Hermione insisted as she pulled Ron by his good arm.

"Hermione that's not my good arm." Ron squeaked.

"I'm not falling for that again." Hermione insisted. "You can't have any more pain potions."

"But that really is my bad arm. Bloody Ragnok-" Ron went to say something else when someone collided into him, knocking Ron to the floor. Ron grabbed his real bad arm in pain as he howled on the floor. Harry looked down at Ron sheepishly. "Sorry Ron."

Harry grabbed Ron's arm and pulled him onto his feet, causing Ron to whimper in even more pain. Harry looked concerned. "How's the arm?"

"Bloody fantastic." Ron spat sarcastically, Harry smiled with relief and gave him a pat on on the back...right on his bad shoulder.

"Merlin." Ron squeaked in obvious agony.

Harry obliviously turned to Hermione. "Luna knows the secret of magic!"

Hermione's eyebrows shot up. "She's told you?"

Harry shook his head. "No she's still not...listen Hermione, she caused the piano to play by itself after the Healers charm on it faded. She did this despite being a Squib, nearly at Muggle level magical core."

"Do you know what the secret of magic is?" Hermione asked impatiently.

"Well...no, but-"

"Then that's your job Harry." Hermione cut him off speaking quickly. "Get out of Saint Mungo's, get out of London, get out of the country. Go somewhere remote and hide. We got a letter from Ragnok. The Muggle world leaders have officially declared war on all Magical people and creatures along with anyone who sides with them, including rival countries who are also anti-Magic. The world has officially declared a Global Civil war!

"What in Merlin's name is a global Civ-"

"It's bad Harry, really bad." Hermione shouted with a manic look in her eyes, before they suddenly looked weak and tired. "If you can't help Luna, if she can't cure her before...run away. Both of you leave and get out of this country, stay away from civilization stay away from everyone and everything."

Harry shook his head. "I'm not leaving you, I'm not leaving my friends, my people. I have to help any way I can!"

"YOU CAN'T HELP!" Hermione cried. "The only one who can help us now is Luna. Please if she doesn't recover in time. Get away from all of this pain. Luna would tell me where it was but go to the paradise you stayed at after fleeing Hogwarts. You sacrificed enough for us, you've given enough. Just spend the rest of your lives together in love and happiness. It's the least you both deserve."

Harry turned to Ron who gripped Hermione's hand as she turned to him. "No Hermione, I'm staying with you, but Harry...go and Imagiuneto Botatum yourself out of this place."

"It's pronounced Imaginatio Potestatem Ron. Honestly don't you read Latin?" Hermione scolded with exasperation.

"Why the Bloody Hell would I read Latin! Mum always said it was a dead language anyway." Ron countered.

"Is now really the time for this?" Harry tried to interrupt.

"Dead language?! Half the spells we use are in Latin." Hermione uttered. "Accio comes from the Latin word accerso, which means to summon. Diffindo means to split or cut, Imaginatio Potestatem translates to Imagination Power. However in English the spell roughly translates to The Power of Imagination, which of course makes no sense because a spell has to have a purpose and not something as abstract as imagination and Wingdar-"

"Oh for Merlin sake's the world is about to end and you are giving me a lecture on Latin." Ron exclaimed. "Your hopeless."

"No...she's brilliant." Harry uttered softly reminding Ron and Hermione of his presence. He had a far away look on his face not unlike Luna's and looked as if he had just been confounded. "I...got to go...See you later."

Harry bolted down the hallway as Ron shouted. "Harry? Wait! There isn't going to be a later!"

Ron turned to Hermione who looked hopelessly confused as she asked. "Did I miss something?"

Hermione and Ron apparated into the Ministry of Magic to find a spear staring them in the face. The Goblin growled. "Drop your wands."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "For Merlin's sake its me Hermione Granger, the Minister of Magic. Must we always go through this charade."

The Goblin nodded and jabbed the spear at her. "Drop the wand Human Minister."

"I have been summoned by Ragnok himself! Stand aside!" Hermione ordered before feeling another spear press against her back. Ron let out a startled whimper as he felt the same thing.

The Goblin grinned. "Ragnok is in a meeting, if you wish to go to that...meeting, I would suggest you keep your wands. However, if I were you. I would drop the wand and come quietly, Human. You answer to Drologck now-"

Suddenly the Goblin's head fell from his shoulders as a blur of speed flew between Ron and Hermione.

First Hermione heard the sound of two spears hitting the floor, then two round objects hit the floor with a slight bounce, then the thud of to bodies.

Ron and Hermione both looked behind them two see a bloody Ragnok who growled with a twitch in his eye. "Never mention Drologck in my presence."

Ragnok looked to the two Humans and huffed. "About time you got here, my meeting was far from productive. I just lost half of my generals. The bloody fools fell on my sword."

Hermione shook her head. "It's war then."

Ragnok nodded. "Yep...it's war. Our armies await us. The Totalitar are amassed in great numbers alongside the British Muggle army and Drologck forces, who is planning on back stabbing the humans. Meanwhile, the cities of the world are being evacuated as the world leaders are preparing to nuke the earth of all life."

Hermione hardened her heart and whispered. "I guess we must fight for the right to live on a scorched earth."
Sign up to rate and review this story