Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Seventeen: Impressions

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

I really try to avoid anything that's remotely construable as "filler." I worried that this chapter might fall into that, but there are a couple things in here that forward and maintain the plot, s...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-12 - Updated: 2006-09-12 - 4486 words

0Unrated


The girl looked desperately over the valley, her vision blurred by a thin veil of tears as she continued her search. She called out for her mother again, her plea fading off into the distance.

She choked out the call once more, feeling a heat in her face as she yelled as loud as she could. Her lungs were young, her voice carrying only so far before being conquered by silence.

Sobbing loudly, she resigned herself to a tree at the edge of the forest, burying her face into the cloth of her robe. Her tiny frame shook as she pleaded for her mother to find her.

Her heart leapt, drawing her breath as she felt a heavy crash near her, as though something huge had fallen from the tree.

She looked up slowly, every inch of him inspiring fear in her, gripping her in silent terror.

The creature towered over her, a colossus in the eyes of the little girl.

Her voice carried farther than before as she let out a horrified screech, her eyes shutting as her hands covered them in feeble attempt to ward off the monster before her.

Silence.

She opened an eye slowly, curious as to why nothing had happened. Perhaps her screams had scared the dreadful monster away, drove him to seek refuge in the shadows of the forest.

Glancing up quickly, she found the presumption to be entirely false. The beast stood there, his gaze fixed upon her. She screeched again as she closed her eyes.

"...Are you lost?" Jung asked from behind the mask.

"Are you gonna eat me?!" she rushed the words as she cringed back against the tree, her eyes shut tight.

He sighed quietly, embarrassed by the reaction he had caused.

"No. I'm not going to eat you." He attempted to bring softness to his tone, already regretting that he had caused her such fear.

"Promise?!" she shivered, still keeping close to the tree.

"Promise." He continued towering over her, nervous that any movements would only cause her to continue screaming.

The little girl turned her head slowly, her face wrought with worry as to whether the monster's promise was sincere or not. Her eyes opened in fearful gaze at him.

"Are you lost?" he repeated the question, hoping for a better reaction this time.

She nodded nervously, her back pressed to the tree.

"Are you from Bai-Jing?"

Silently, she nodded again.

"You shouldn't be alone so far from the village," he observed quietly, a feeling of guilt filling him at her fearful silence.

"I wasn't alone," she whispered quietly, looking at the ground. "I was picking flowers with mommy, and I got lost."

"Flowers?"

"Mommy and I get flowers every morning," the little girl looked up, her chin tilting back to the ground almost immediately. "We've got a shop that makes them fancy..."

"A flower arrangement shop." He recalled one being somewhat close to the tea house.

"Yeah!" the girl looked up excitedly. "You know our shop?"

"Yes," he nodded slowly, hoping the answer would ease her fears. "Would you like me to take you there?"

The girl leaned back against the tree again, her face losing its brief levity. "But what if mommy's still looking for me...?"

"Then..." Jung trailed off, not sure of the proper answer.

Disappointed, she looked at the ground.

The Demon studied her quietly, his nature pushing him to combat the worry that weighed on her.

She looked up quickly, startled by his sudden movement as he bent his knees, his frightening mask drawing closer. She watched as he offered a hand.

"Then we'll find her."

The girl took his hand carefully as he lifted her to her feet, standing to his full height in front of her. His body swayed as he faced away, walking slowly.

Jung glanced back, watching as she hurried to catch up. She slowed her pace as she arrived beside him. Turning back towards the valley, he began searching for the girl's mother.

"Why were you in a tree?" the girl looked up at him.

"I was getting something for a friend," he answered quietly, still paying careful attention to the valley.

"They lost something?"

"No, they needed ingredients to make tea," he lifted his right hand, revealing a full pouch.

"Tea?"

"Yes. Your mother makes flower arrangements, my friend makes tea."

"Is your friend auntie Min?" there was a quick draw in breath as she began fostering an excited envy for old auntie Min, who was so tough she had a monster for a friend.

"Yes." There was a gentle smile beneath the mask. "You know Min?"

"She's funny!" the little girl giggled. "She yells a lot."

He chuckled quietly, finding both observations to be entirely accurate.

"Did you get all the stuff you need? She's gonna yell if you didn't get all the stuff."

"Will she?"

"Yeah! She once sent her granddaughter out-"

"Qiu," Jung corrected her on the name.

"Right, Qiu! She sent her out to get stuff, but she forgot something. So Min yelled a lot"

"Sounds like Min." He had already been reprimanded by her twice for failing to procure certain leaves.

"Did it hurt when you fell out of the tree?"

"I didn't fall; I jumped."

"Did it hurt?"

"No."

"Oh," she trailed off, blinking. "I thought you were gonna eat me."

"I wasn't."

"I know, but I thought you were gonna. You don't eat people?"

"No," he sighed inwardly at the connotation that she still thought he was a genuine monster.

"What do you eat?"

The taste of Wen Lan's tea became stronger in his memory, prompted by the question. "Plums."

"Plums are yummy," she nodded, looking forward.

"Yes."

They continued on in silence, the girl unconsciously reaching out and grasping his finger for security as she stared ahead in search of her mother.

He glanced down, slightly surprised by the gesture. He looked back towards the valley, taking note of Bai-Jing in the distance.

"Are you really a monster?" she looked back up at him, studying his mask.

"No," he admitted calmly.

"I didn't think so," she nodded confidently, looking back to Bai-Jing. "You're nice, monsters aren't nice."

"Hmm," a smile countered the compliment from beneath the mask.

"Jiao!" A woman called out desperately, rushing towards them from the village entrance.

"Mommy!" The girl let go of his hand, scrambling towards her mother at full speed.

He smiled as he watched the scene, making no change in his pace as he approached.

The woman lifted her daughter in her arms, hugging her tight as she closed her eyes. Soft tears of relief fell from her eyes as she pressed her cheek to the girl's.

"Don't ever wander off like that again!"

"I'm sorry, mommy." The apology was sincere, her smile still wide at the relief of arriving home safely.

He walked by silently, holding the pouch of ingredients idly.

"Ah!"

Jung glanced back, stopping as the woman set Jiao down. She bowed towards him, folding her hands politely in front of her.

"Thank you so much for bringing her back to me! I'm very grateful; I came here hoping she would hurry back here after we got separated."

"Thank you!" Jiao waved excitedly, smiling.

He nodded his head slowly, making his way back towards the tea house. He could hear their voices trail off in the background.

"Mommy, do you know him?" she asked wondrously, certain that her mother knew all.

"Of course I do, everybody knows him," she lifted her daughter carefully, her voice holding a hushed air of sagacious levity.

"Is he famous?"

"Yes, very. He and general Seung are the heroes of the valley," she explained carefully.

"I thought he was gonna eat me!"

Jung smiled gently at their words, hearing Jiao's mother giggle at the notion in the background.



"I knew you all couldn't be trusted to keep up in your trainin'!" Gang accused as he pointed towards one of Chin-Hwa's guards, the motioning hand still holding another by the face. He dropped the guard carelessly, dusting off his hands.

"We did train!" one of the guards pleaded, drenched in sweat.

"Liar! If you were trainin' so hard, why are you all fallin' faster than ever?!"

"Maybe it's because you're having them warm up with the rhinoceros," Seung hinted, glancing towards the beast as he continued his breathing exercises.

"His name is 'Boots,' and he's just getting' 'em used to a new style of combat."

Boots affirmed this by shaking another yelping guard from side to side before trying to chew off his footwear.

"Ah, they seem very lively today," Wen Lan complimented as she approached the observing Chin-Hwa.

"Yes, it is encouraging," the old noble smiled.

"You called for me, lord Chin-Hwa?" she bowed politely, smiling.

"Yes, and I apologize for distracting you from Min's shop."

"There is no need for apology my lord; auntie Min does not need my help to keep the shop vibrant."

"No, I'm sure she has enough energy and spirit to share," he smiled, turning to walk along the hall.

She walked beside him politely, attentive to his words. "Is something the matter, my lord?"

"Not a thing, dear Wen Lan. I called for you because I wish to discuss the upcoming festival."

"Festival?"

"Forgive me, I have the tendency to forget that you and the others are new to some of the village customs. The village hosts two festivals throughout the course of each year, the first being the Festival of the Moon in winter. The second is the Festival of the Fireflies, held each summer." He smiled as he explained, enjoying the opportunity to teach.

"How lovely," she nodded, appreciating the lesson in the village's culture.

"Yes, I'd like to think that every member of the village celebrates and enjoys the festival. You are a noble, and have spent your entire life as such. So I am certain you are well aware that nobles have the tendency to take any celebration as an opportunity to engage in senseless and stuffy formalities," there was a slight sigh in this, the byproduct of being witness to the fact for so many years.

She lifted her hands to her mouth, stifling a laugh at the accuracy of the statement. "Lord Chin-Hwa," she interjected. "What sort of formalities do you speak of?"

"The standard sort that do little besides waste the time of the festival patrons, when such news could be passed by word of mouth. Birth announcements, engagement announcements, marriage announcements. Announcements of announcements, announcements of intentions to announce, there are far too many."

Wen Lan laughed warmly at the joke, appreciating the wit.

"However, I find myself conflicted."

"My lord?"

"I have lived in this village for nearly all my life, Wen Lan. I have had moments of sorrow, moments of triumph. Yet I felt that any such occurrences were the business of those involved alone. That I should not spread my troubles or victories amongst others."

"A noble notion."

"Yet...For the first time, I find that I have something I would like to announce, something to share with them."

"And that is?" she walked beside him calmly, trying to piece together his meaning.

"You, my dear." He smiled gently at her, taking great pride and confidence in the young woman beside him.

"Lord Chin-Hwa?" Wen Lan was flattered, yet puzzled.

"Word has spread of my having finally chosen a successor, much to the disappointment of certain other nobles," he coughed slightly, glancing aside. He was well aware of the underhanded nature of some of the wealthier inhabitants of Bai-Jing. "I would like to announce it officially, at the Festival of Fireflies."

The young noble paused, taking the opportunity to bow to him courteously as she smiled.

"My lord, I thank you for your consideration and kindness. It would be my honor."

"I am delighted to hear such, my dear." He bowed in return, grateful to her for having improved his confidence in his decision to take her as a successor more with each passing day.

The two continued walking, smiling as he continued imparting on her aspects and practices of Bai-Jing's culture.



"Festival of the what now?" Gang looked towards the Earth Kingdom soldier as he held one of the guards at arm's length by the face.

"The Festival of the Fireflies, sir."

"Seung! What's this festival thing?" he yelled over his shoulder, stepping in to punch the guard in the stomach.

"It's held each year in the village," the general answered as calmly as possible, kneeling atop a stone pillar, his fists extended to either side with a large rock balanced atop each.

"Why would this stop you from trainin'?" Gang eyed the soldier suspiciously.

"Well...We can't very well train and monitor the festival at the same time."

The guards cursed the soldier's luck at having the opportunity to miss a day of training.

"Seung!" the old bodyguard yelled out again.

He opened an eye, sighing inwardly at the inability to practice in peace.

"You give them off for the festival!?" His eyes went wide, unable to fathom the concept of a day without training.

"Half of them," the general explained. "The other half are assigned to watch over the festival itself." Dak-Ho had left him in charge of assigning guards to the festival each year prior, too busy endeavoring in the night's indulgences to particularly care.

The guards of Chin-Hwa and Wen Lan further cursed the soldiers, taking Gang's sudden focus on the matter at hand as an opportunity to rest.

"Bah! You miss a day of training, you're gonna get sloppy. Simple fact," he grumbled, tapping the soldier he had punched in the stomach with his foot to inspect for life signs. He kicked the soldier over, nodding approvingly as he foamed at the mouth. "Take a breather."

Seung closed his eye, Kano's malice and intentions still concerning him. He motioned his hands up, turning his palms to catch each rock. Taking to his feet, his forced the pillar back into the ground with a strong motion of the legs.

"That's a good point," he said calmly. "The Fire Nation could strike soon. It's essential that we prepare."

The soldiers agreed with the point amongst themselves, each taking solace in the fact that they would most likely be training with their general instead of the insane firebender.

"Half of you will attend the festival as security. The other half will be permitted to attend only if they defeat Gang."

The old firebender grinned, enjoying the sound of it.

A sudden wave of dread swept through the ranks.

"Sir?" a soldier raised his hand up.

"Yes?" Seung turned his attention towards his comrade.

"Permission to be security?"

"I thought you hated security?" another whispered from beside him.

"Not anymore I don't," he grumbled.

"Hey!" Gang called out towards the guards of the estate. "I kinda like that! Anyone who beats me can go to the festival!"

The guards sat there, the festival serving as little incentive for the beating they would endure.

"What? Not good enough for you? What's wrong?"

Seung grinned slightly, understanding the guard's lack of motivation.

The soldiers and guards all glanced up as a group of Wen Lan's servants passed by, some giggling and blushing as they did.

"Hmm," Gang watched as they passed, glancing towards the guards.

Some smiled, a few blushing as they waved towards the girls.

The old man grinned, turning towards the girls.

"Hey!"

They froze, each having a slight fear of Gang after seeing how vicious he was with the guards' training.

"You all get to have the night off when that Festival of Flying Flies-"

"Fireflies," Seung corrected.

"Fireflies comes! Got it?!" He folded his arms, grinning.

There was a brief quiet before the girls started cheering and laughing, each completely unaware that Gang had such authority.

Gang had no such authority.

The girls hurried off, each excited about the upcoming celebration.

"Now," he turned towards the guards, still grinning. "Those girls're gonna need some escorts. Too bad you'll all be busy trainin'."

There was a quiet as the guards stared at him, followed by loud yelling as they jumped him in unison.

Boots, excited by all the sudden movement, jumped into the fray as well.

Seung sighed, practicing his breathing as people and chunks of earth and flame passed near him.



"I had work to get done at the estate, and you called me here to make tea?!" Xiu scolded the old woman loudly, eyes narrowed.

"Tea's the fastest way to a man's heart!" Min glared right back at her, poking her in the stomach with a wooden spoon.

"The expression is 'the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach.' It's about food, mother." Sun had two kettles in each hand and a thin coat of sweat covering her, but enjoyed any opportunity to one-up her mother.

"Tea's better'n food, twice as effective!" she argued, still prodding Xiu with the spoon.

The young servant grabbed the spoon, leaning in as she glared harder at her. "What are you even talking about, you old pain?"

"You're in love with general Seung!"

Xiu's eyes went wide, blushing furiously as she glanced around at all the patrons that had just been witness to Min's blurting out the statement.

"And I can help you charm him! Tea's the way to a man's heart, I promise!"

"What is wrong with you!?" Xiu screeched, eyes wide.

"So many things. So many, many things," Sun muttered, pouring another cup for the blacksmith.

"Heard that," Min grumbled, glancing towards her daughter.

"Why would you say that in front of all these people?!" Xiu demanded.

"Because it's true," she folded her arms.

"So!?"

"So," she started, turning towards the kitchen. "Are you going to get back here and get to work or not?"

"No, I don't want to make tea," she yelled, storming towards the door.

"Is it that you don't want to, or you don't know how?" the old woman grinned, recognizing the effectiveness of her taunt as Xiu's frame froze in the door.

The young servant turned her head slowly, eyes ferocious and glaring. "You want tea?" she practically spit the words, storming towards the kitchen as she rolled her sleeves up.

"Works every time." She grinned, glancing towards the door as the Demon entered.

Initially, the patrons would greet the Demon with silence. His presence filled them with just as much fear as it did respect. More recently, they had come to understand his arrangement with Min, welcoming him with nods and thankful bows.

"You get everything, this time?" she walked towards him, taking the pouch.

"Yes."

"This was the freshest ginger root you could find?"

"There's a patch of it that still needs a few days."

"Feh, fine." She continued fishing through the bag, studying the contents carefully. "Good. Good. Good. Eh. Workable. Good. Eh. Hmm. Fine, you're getting better at this. Better than Sun, at least," she evaluated as she brought the pouch towards the kitchen.

Sun sighed, narrowing her eyes as she continued pouring someone's tea.

"Here's your tea," Xiu shoved the cup into Min's hand, folding her arms as she stood near her. She nodded quickly towards Jung. "Hey Demon."

"Xiu," he nodded slowly in greeting.

Min spit the tea out in a large mist, soaking Xiu.

"What's in this?!" the old woman protested, wiping her mouth off on Xiu's robes.

Xiu tugged it away, agitated. "Tea leaves."

"What'd you do, put all the leaves in?" Min opened her eye wider, staring into the cup.

"I thought more leaves made it healthier," her eyebrow rose slightly as she found herself second-guessing the theory.

"You need more help than I thought!" Min stared up at the girl, tugging her by the robe towards the kitchen.

"I told you, I don't want to learn to make tea!"

"Look, do you want to win his heart or not?!" the old woman looked up defiantly.

"I..." Xiu blushed, glancing aside again.

"Tea is sipped by the heart, not the mouth. If you make the right brew, make it for someone, just for them, it's a message straight from your heart to theirs!"

The young servant continued glancing aside, mulling the decision over.

"You're better off saying yes, she's gonna bug you every day if you don't," Qiu whispered as she passed by with a tray of cups.

"...Fine," the defeated Xiu whispered, dusting her partially wet robe off. "Let's go."

"Knew you'd see it my way," the old woman grinned. She dragged Xiu into the kitchen, instructing loudly and quickly about its contents.

Jung watched as the two made their way into the kitchen, Sun stepping beside him and sighing.

"I feel sorry for her," she admit. "Thank you for the ingredients," she bowed towards him, smiling.

He returned the expression of gratitude, bowing slightly. "Thank you for allowing me to stay here."

"It's our pleasure!" Sun smiled, having been proved wrong about the Demon's presence. Where she had expected awkward quiet and fear, the tea house had been seen an increase in business and soft pipa music in the background as he practiced.

"Is there anything else you would like me to do?"

"No, but thank you for offering," she smiled as she returned to refilling the cups.

The patrons and citizens of Bai-Jing had found themselves pleasantly surprised in regards to the Demon. Where they expected a bold and intimidating creature, they were met with polite bows and etiquette.

He stepped out of the tea house, making his way towards the back. He fell to the ground, diving immediately into his workout regime.

"What're you doing?" a voice asked

He glanced up, not breaking the motions as he continued training. The lost little girl from the morning stood in front of him, watching with a slightly tilted head as she hid something behind her back.

"Training," he answered simply.

"Why?"

"So that I can stay strong."

"Oh. Is it fun?"

"Sometimes," an amused smile appeared beneath the mask.

"Mommy let me have some flowers and said I should thank you, so I made you this!" She brought out a small flower arrangement from behind her back, placing it down in front of him.

Jung sat up, his attention on the flower arrangement. It looked as if it had been done hurriedly by careless hands, yet the placement of each flower had an obvious consideration.

The mask looked towards her, nodding slowly. "Thank you, it's very nice."

She giggled, scratching her head.

"Hello," a voice called out softly from behind Jiao.

He recognized it instantly, her voice standing out from all others.

"Ah, you have company," Wen Lan smiled as she approached him. "Hello, my name is Wen Lan. What's yours?"

"I'm Jiao!" her volume indicated pride in the name. "Are you Demon's friend?"

"Ha ha, yes," she smiled softly as she took to her knees in front of the girl. "Are you his friend too?"

"Yup!" the girl nodded her head, pointing at the flower arrangement. "I made him this 'cause he helped me when I got lost!"

"Ah, did you?" The young noble took the arrangement in her hands, smiling tenderly at Jung for his sweetness. A faint blush filled her cheeks.

Beneath the mask, his cheeks responded in like kind.

"It's so beautiful," she complimented.

"Thank you," Jiao bowed politely, her face beaming at the assessment.

"Thank you again for it." Jung nodded his head towards the girl.

"Hey!" Min called out from the corner of the tea house, her eyes narrowed.

The three turned towards her in unison.

"Wen Lan! Get in here and help me teach this Xiu girl how to make tea! She's more hopeless than I thought!"

Behind the walls of the tea house, Xiu could be heard yelling and throwing a kettle.

"Yes, auntie Min," Wen Lan stood obediently, smiling softly towards Jung before hurrying in.

"Don't just sit there Demon, go out and get more tea leaves! And get me plums, that stuff keeps sellin'! Now!"

"Yes," he rose, taking the pouch from her as he passed., placing the flower arrangement inside of it.

"Jiao!" The old woman folded her arms.

"Auntie Min!" the little girl stood defiantly.

"Tell your mom and the other vendors, same bet as always! Whoever takes the most profit, all the others owe 'em a free meal!"

"Fine! We're gonna win this year!" Jiao balled her fists, trying to show her determination.

"No way, I always win," Min grinned, well aware of the spark she was inspiring.

"Nuh-uh, we're gonna win, you just watch!" She hurried by, her short legs doing little to aid her speed.

Min watched as Jiao scampered away, smiling to herself as she entered the tea house again.



Chin-Hwa sat in silence, conveying the scene as Gang sat to his side with a saucer of sake. Seung remained on the opposite side of the old noble, watching quietly.

"You know Gang. Before you came to Bai-Jing, I had a garden," he began slowly, breaking a long running silence.

"You still have a garden!" he protested, still sober enough to effectively argue.

"Where? Where do you see garden?"

Gang studied it carefully, observing the scorch marks, then the rises and falls where earthbenders had maneuvered, followed by the rhinoceros footprints. He glanced around the moaning bodies as they lie on the ground, then towards the now sleeping Boots.

"Ah, there!" He pointed, observing a flower.

"One flower doesn't make a garden," Seung noted.

"Sure it does. It's a start, at least," Gang shrugged.

"Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about?" the old noble continued studying the scene.

"I gave all the servants off for the night of the festival." He took another sip, his answer having a very unconcerned air about it.

"Did you inform Xiu of this at all?"

"Why would I?"

"Xiu is in charge of the household servants."

The old guard's eyes widened slightly, now realizing that he had put himself in her warpath.

Chin-Hwa glanced at him, smirking. "I suppose there is some justice in that. On that note, gentlemen, I will retire for the night. I will see you both in the morning."

"Good night, lord Chin-Hwa." Seung stood, bowing.

"G'night old man," Gang took another sip.

Chin-Hwa sighed as he continued walking.

Another moan let out from the former garden.

"Quit whinin', you can all have off for the festival," Gang yelled out at the pained noises.

There was the faint and pained sound of celebration as the soldiers and guards tried to recover their strength.

"The soldiers as well," Seung added.

More barely legible cries of triumph.

"So," Gang looked at the saucer.

"Hmm?" the general glanced towards him.

"You gonna ask Xiu to the festival?" he grinned.

Seung blushed, looking up towards the night sky as Gang laughed heartily a few feet beside him.
Sign up to rate and review this story