Categories > Cartoons > All Dogs Go To Heaven

The Importance of FAST Results

by customeressay4 0 reviews

Hi there and welcome. The Importance of FAST Results

Category: All Dogs Go To Heaven - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [Y] - Published: 2017-10-14 - 417 words

0Unrated

The Importance of FAST Results
The Importance of FAST Results
I was fortunate to stumble on a newly developed program called Second Shot Reading back in the late 1990s. It was having remarkable results with discouraged middle school readers.


One of the things I learned from Second Shot is the importance of immediate feedback on a student's efforts. If you are a discouraged student it is because you have tried to learn something in the past, but despite your efforts you didn't learn it. You notice that other people seem like they learned it without too much problem. When you compare your performance to theirs, that makes you feel bad. To keep yourself from feeling bad, you quit trying so hard. You don't want to feel like a failure again.


In Second Shot, students were timed on a reading for one minute to see how many words they could read in a minute. Oftentimes, these middle school students would only read 50-70 words per minute. Then, the tutor would work with a small group of students, helping them to practice and improve their reading. After they practiced, they were timed again. Almost always, the number of words they were able to read in a minute improved DRAMATICALLY. Many times they doubled their reading speed or more.


The looks on the faces of the students when they saw their improvement was unforgettable and inspiring. Smiles. Pride. Success. What they were feeling was the opposite of their usual feelings of failure. Instead of wanting to avoid reading practice, they looked forward to the next session when they could recapture that feeling again. The success bred more success.


As I work with students, I always keep in mind if students feel like they are going to be successful, they will try. If they do not feel successful, they won't. Measuring their progress and giving them feedback immediately on the payoff of their efforts is critically important to keep them engaged in learning. Their habitual ways of thinking about themselves were not built in a day so they won't be overcome in a day either. However, with continuous progress toward their goals, as they tuck success after success into their memory banks, they will learn to see themselves as successful readers and will attack reading with confidence. And confidence really is everything.


Yakima Reading Tutor Turns Struggling Readers into Life-Long Learners


New York Reading Tutors
Will's Blog by Topic

Elementary (K-6th) 2
Reading 2
Dyslexia 2
Psychology 1
Video Production 1


Blog Posts by Will

Sign up to rate and review this story