Categories > Original > Fantasy > [untitled]

New Girl

by Ami-Chan 0 reviews

She goes to breakfast,makes new friends and finds a mysterious corridor, that scares the living daylights out of her!

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Published: 2006-09-15 - Updated: 2006-09-15 - 2236 words

0Unrated
Samantha woke up to the bright morning sun, shining through her window. The green curtains were futtering as a soft breeze blew in.

"No wonder it was so cold last night." She mumbled and pushed her comforter and sheets off of her and walked towards the window and looked out of it. Everything was muddy from the storm the night before. She sighed, missing her parents and felt a strange sensation about this place.

"I wonder what there is to do around here......" She groaned and put on long coat over her silk night gown, which of course was a light green. She shut the window and moved over to her desk, which still had the pile of neatly lined-with a slight tint of green-paper for writing letters.

"Dunno what I would need these for." She mumbled and looked at herself in the mirror. Her pale face looked even paler with her dark hair, which was messy and looked very unsetteling.
She picked up a brush, which had a smooth glass feel and had swirly shapes protruding from the handle, making it look elegant, as royalty would use.

"Why is everything in here green?" She thought out loud, turning the brush over in her hand, studying it before she brushed her hair.
A few minutes later she had just barely set the brush down on the desk when she heard a jungling sound.

"In Hevans name! What was..." Her voice faded a she saw what had made the noise. A small bell that hung on the side of the door, and underneath it, was a gold plaque that had "Breakfast" Etched into it.

"Where did that come from?" She stood up and walked towards it, and then saw many other bells, each with it's own plaque stating things from "Tea Time" to "Detention"

"When did these get here?" she asked herself again and lightly touched the bells with the tip of her fingers. Then suddenly the sound of hundereds of voices gathered in the hallway, she jumped at the sound of slamming doors. She buttoned up her coat and opened her door a little, just enough for her to peer around in the hallway where she saw many girls walking, skipping, prancing, and running down the corridor and down the stairs at the end.

"I suppose it's breakfast time" She thought aloud and stepped out into the now empty hallway, the carpet soft and cushy beneath her feet as she stepped into the hallway again, painted vividly in gold and red, with it's magical paintings between the doors.
She picked up her pace, feeling very akward in the very long hallway, steering away from the shadows that lurked behind every door frame and column that decorated the elaborate walls.

"AND Why are you running behind?!" Somone said in a shrill voice. The voice made Samantha start and made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

"I...I-!" She began to stutter, not daring to turn around.

"Your not in trouble my dear, but your stomach will be if you don't get to breakfast as soon as your bell rings." The voice said again, this time the voice came with a body as it moved in front of her. It was the Ms. Mattie, the woman in charge of the whole place. She was wearing a scarlet robe over a long purple night gown.

"Come on Come on don't be shy, you are hungry right?" She said, her back hunched over since she was so tall and thin, her arms bent, she looked like a lanky teronasaurus rex from her stance.
Samantha nodded her reply, she was indeed hungry, since she han't eaten since lunch the day before.

"Good then follow me, since you're new I'll help you out around here, and I'll make sure you make some new friends to help you out as well." She smiled the walked quickly down the hall.

"Wait, um, how did you know I had a bell in my room?" Samantha asked, running to catch up with Ms.Matty's long strides.

"Oh Sweetie everyone has these bells, I had them installed in every room when this building was first built." She said in her sing songy voice not slowing her pace as Samantha asked.

"Oh, well, that would have taken forever! Aren't there hundereds of rooms here?"

"Oh, to be exact there are 507. But no one likes being too technical so yes there are, and it didn't take forever mind you."
She said as they made their way down the flight of stairs into the main hall, which was more like a courtyard with carpet, the ceilings extremely high, so every floor has a view of it.
She saw the remnants of the childeren still making their way into the dining room for breakfast.

"Alright now you can sit anywhere you like, the servants will serve you breakfast." Ms. Mattie said clapping her hands together and walking off, smiling at any childeren who looked her way.
Samantha looked around, every table was nearly filled up, and now she finally saw some boys, there were more than she thought.

"I didn't see them when I came in..." She whispered quietly to herself as she sat down next to a red head girl.

"Hello!" The girl exclaimed loudly, making Samantha jump.

"Hi, nice to meet-"

"My name is Elizabeth Mary Thorrington! What's yours?" The girl, Elizabeth, held out her hand to Samantha.

"Samantha Linn Edwards." Samantha took the girls hand, who shook it rapidly up and down. Samantha smiled, liking the thought that she didn't have to talk much.

"So where are you from?" The girl asked. Her curly red bangs bounced over her deep blue eyes.

"I'm from London. I'm not used to being in moors like this. Out in the middle of no where."Samantha said, her eyes wandering a little, wondering where the food was. She looked over, Elizabeth was nodding, her curls bouncing merrily.

"Yes, I'm from Ireland, I was never told exactly where, I've been livin' in Orphanages all my life, and fin'lly tranfered here.. My mum used to say I was very talkative, but I don't believe 'er, anyways, I never thought I'd end up here in England! I really liked Ireland, it was wonderful! But I've also always wanted to go to another country so here I am!" She said with a big grin. Samantha smiled at her then looked abover her as she saw people walking in rows holding bowls of porrige with toast placed neatly on one side of the bowl. She looked back a the table as Elizabeth recieved her bowl and grinned with joy, her freckles standing out more from her joyfulness.

"I absolutely love porridge!"She exclaimed before shoveling the food into her mouth, pausing to wipe with her napkin or take a bite of toast.
Samantha shook her head smiling, it felt good to have someone so enthusiastic next to her. She gasped in surprise as she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

"And how are you this morning Samantha?" The voice said. It was Peter, he placed the bowl identical to Elizabeths in front of her. He sat down beside her as she said

"Oh! I'm fine, you scared me Peter! Don't do that again!" She said, placing a hand below her throat.

"I'm sorry. So, how do you like it here?"

"I think it's wonderful really, but there's just something strange that I can't quite place. But it feels wonderful! Like an adventure in a story book!" She whispered, spooning the poridge into her mouth and sighing.

"Yeah, we've all had that feeling at one time or another." He flipped his hair out of his eyes again,, it came down just to the back of his neck, compltely straight.

"So, You work here as a servant?" Samantha asked, finally remembered what she was going to ask him.

"Oh! Yes I do, sorry I forgot to mention that. Slipped my mind. See, no one really applied me to this place, but I am an orphan, so I came here and sighned a contract and she told me to get to work, it's not so hard, but once people can't afford it and no one transfrs them, they have to work as a servant." He said quietly, letting his hair fall over his eyes again as he leaned over the table on his elbows.

"Oh I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, at least you have someone like your Aunt to pay for you, but judging by her looks it doesn't seem like it would last long."

"How did you know she was my aunt?" Samantha asked, putting her spoon back in the bowl.

"I heard from Ms. Mattie, Us Servants hear many things that normal childeren housed here would not."

"Oh....." Samantha sighed, taking a few more bites from her toast and finishing off her porridge.

"Well, I must go now, see you around another time." He patter her shoulder and headed back to the kitchens.

"So, who was that?" Elizabeth asked suddenly, making Samantha jump again.

"Oh, a friend of mine." Samantha muttered, watching him leave.

"Ah, I see."

------------------------------------------------------

When breakfast was over. Samantha decided to go for a little walk around the house since there were no classes today.
There's something up with this house.....and I want to find out out what.

She walked down the corridors. The rest of the childeren had wandered of to either the library or their rooms. Only a few were left wandering in the hallways. Samantha would quickly pass by then, trying not to be suspicious.

"Hullo!" Samntha head a cheerful voice behind her, followed with a tap on the shoulder.
Samantha jumped and turned around.

"Elizabeth!" She exclaimed, feeling goosebumps run up and down her neck from the fright.

"Sorry 'bout that Sammie! Anyways, I just saw you walkin' around, an', Me being curious, wanted to see what you were up to!" She finished with a smile after trying to explain herself.

"Sammie?" Samantha repeated curiously.

"Yeh...I thought I'd make it shorter."

"Oh Alright..." Samantha said quietly. "Well, I ought to be going now, I have some business to attend to."

"Oh.....Awright, I'll be seein' you 'round then eh?" Elizabeth said, taking a step back, her red curls bouncing lightly around her ears.

"Of course!" Samantha smiled,"See you!"
She stepped back and turned around as Elizabeth did the same and walked quickly up the stairs.
Samantha looked around as her pace slowed.
This corridor is going on forver. This is maddening!
She thought to herself as she continued on, the lights were starting to dim as she passed on past doors, all different in some way, some were black, some were white, and some matched in with the wall paper, nearly invisible.
She closed her eyes and stopped for a second. She heard foot steps, rather quick ones. She heard silent whispers, as if there were a crowd of people around her, watching her like and animal and speaking hurridly about her dress or the way she looked or some other nonsense, the voices got louder, she finally opened her eyes, the voices dissapeared, but everything was pitch black, and she couldn't see a thing. She stepped back slowly, the blackness still there, a feeling of panic started to rise in her.
She continued stepping back, the darkness not going away and her panic started to strangle her.

"Help....help!.....HELP!" She started to scream and she turned around and spread her arms in front of her, afraid of th darkness that was suffocating her, she ran like mad down the hall. She continued to issue screams as she ran. She screwed up her face, trying not to cry, but she continued to run, her eyes shut tight, knowing it made no difference if they were open.

"Help! Somebody! HELP ME!"

"With what?" A voice asked. She stopped, and opened her eyes as she collided with someone. The person was pushed backwards but he braced well, and held Samantha up.

"Peter!" She gasped as she looked up at his bright hazel eyes. He pushed Samantha up on her feet and she wiped her eyes, she had almost started crying, she was glad she didn't though.

"Are you alright? You were screaming awfully loud." He said, putting his hand on her shoulder.
She shook her head a little and turned her head around and glanced behind her, the gas lamps on the wall flickered merrily.
She furrowed her eyebrows slightly in confusion, then started to nod,

"Yes, I am fine thank you, I'm just, going to go back to my room." she said rather quickly and took a step back from Peter, letting his arm fall back to his side.

"Are you sure your alright?" He cocked his head slightly, loking onto her eyes, as if she had some secret to tell, and he was going to find out.

"No, I'm Alright." She stare back unblinkingly, then walked past him and ran up the stairs, eager to go back to her room, leaving Peter behind to watch her leave then head back to the kitchens.
She stopped onc she reached the top of the sairs, her hand grasping the bronze railing.
She felt oddly calm, like an ocean breeze blew through her, eliminating every fear she had, and she slowly walked towards the girls wing.
Sign up to rate and review this story