Categories > Original > Romance

A Few Signs Of A HFA Or High Functioning Alcoholic

by Becker91Moore 0 reviews

I use this blog for understanding While alcohol dependence is a devas

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2018-02-14 - 617 words

0Unrated
While alcohol dependence is a devastating condition that can destroy lives, a few people who battle with it manage to keep big responsibilities and stressful jobs. From the outside, these so-called high-functioning problem drinkers seem to have it all together. They can drive nice cars, live in good neighborhoods, and make a significant income.

Even so, just because they're high-functioning doesn't mean that they're immune to the effects of alcohol. They are still at risk of harming themselves and others around them. A pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with trembling hands, or a financier managing large sums of money are each at-risk of causing horrible disasters if they stay on their dysfunctional course.

Here are some clues that can help in identifying these time bombs:

1. They drink instead of eating.

Problem drinkers will regularly remove and replace meals with a couple of drinks, lose interest in food altogether, or use mealtime as a reason to begin consuming alcohol.

2. They can get out of bed without a hangover, even after numerous drinks.

Consuming alcohol routinely over a substantial period of time can cause the body to become dependent on alcohol. Regularly high-functioning alcoholics are able to drink a good deal without having the same hangover that torments the random drinker.

3. Not drinking makes them grouchy, anxious, or uncomfortable.

If an alcoholic is required to abstain from drinking, his or her body commonly responds negatively, as they depend on the sedative effects of alcohol. Sudden quitting can trigger tension and anxiety, nervousness, sweating, a rapid heart rate, as well as seizures.

4. Their behavior patterns alter significantly while under the influence of booze.

Alcoholics may transform dramatically when they drink. For instance, a typically mild-mannered person may become aggressive, or make impulsive decisions.

5. They cannot have just two drinks.

A problem drinker has trouble stopping, and may even finish others' drinks. Booze will certainly never be left on the table, and there is always a pretext for one more round.

6. Time spans of amnesia or "blacking out" are common.

Many problem drinkers will take part in activities that they have no memory of the following day. They may not seem extremely drunk at the time, but they're unable to remember activities that occurred.

7. Efforts to talk about drinking behavior are met with aggression and denial.

When confronted with issues involving their alcohol consumption, alcohol abusers will typically regress to denial or aggression, making discussion hard.

8. They always have a good reason for why they drink.

If flat denial or hostility is not the opted for method of avoidance, most problem drinkers will have a somewhat reasonable explanation for their behavior. Stress at the workplace, troubles in the home, or an abundance of social functions are typical excuses to explain their damaging behavior.

9. They hide their alcohol.

Many problem drinkers will drink alone, or sneak drinks from a bottle in a desk or in their vehicle. This kind of hidden drinking is a tremendous warning and there is no other explanation for this behavior aside from alcoholism.


Let's try to keep our community productive, safe, and sober by keeping our eyes open for dubious behavior in order to get these struggling coworkers, family members, and friends the assistance they need.

Symptoms of a High Functioning Alcoholic

From the outside, these supposed high-functioning alcoholics appear to have it all together. They can drive nice cars, live in great communities, and make a substantial income.

Just because they're high-functioning does not mean that they're invulnerable to the effects of alcohol. A pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with trembling hands, or a banker handling large sums of money are each at-risk of inducing horrendous disasters if they stay on their destructive course.
Sign up to rate and review this story