Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Alcohol Can Cause Modifications In The Structure And Function Of The Growing Brain

by Adair59Weinstein 0 reviews

I use this weblog for understanding Alcohol can cause alterations in th

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2018-02-19 - 677 words

0Unrated
Alcohol can cause alterations in the architecture and operation of the blossoming brain, which continues to mature into an individual's mid 20s, and it may have consequences reaching far beyond teenage years.

In adolescence, brain development is identified by dramatic modifications to the brain's structure, neural connections ("electrical wiring"), and physiology. These transformations in the brain affect everything from developing sexuality to emotionality and judgment.

Not all component parts of the adolescent brain mature concurrently, which may put a juvenile at a disadvantage in specific scenarios. The limbic areas of the brain mature earlier than the frontal lobes. The limbic regions regulate feelings and are associated with a juvenile's decreased sensitivity to risk. The frontal lobes are responsible for self-control, judgment, reasoning, problem-solving, and impulse control. Differences in maturation amongst parts of the brain can result in impulsive decisions or actions and a neglect for repercussions.

Ways Alcohol Alters the Human Brain
Alcohol alters an adolescent's brain development in numerous ways. The repercussions of juvenile alcohol consumption on specialized brain functions are summarized below.
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Alcohol can seem to be a stimulant because, to begin with, it suppresses the portion of the human brain that governs inhibitions.

CORTEX-- Alcohol hinders the cortex as it processes details from an individual's senses.

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM-- When a person thinks of something he wants his body to do, the central nervous system-- the brain and the spinal cord-- sends a signal to that portion of the physical body. Alcohol hampers the central nervous system, making the person think, speak, and move less quickly.

FRONTAL LOBES -- The brain's frontal lobes are necessary for advanced planning, forming concepts, decision making, and employing self-discipline.

A person might find it tough to control his or her feelings and urges when alcohol impacts the frontal lobes of the brain. The individual may act without thinking or might even get violent. Drinking alcohol over an extended period of time can harm the frontal lobes permanently.

HIPPOCAMPUS-- The hippocampus is the portion of the brain where memories are generated.
Once alcohol reaches the hippocampus, a person might have difficulty recalling a thing she or he just learned, such as a person's name or a phone number. This can happen after just one or two alcoholic beverages.
Drinking a lot of alcohol rapidly can trigger a blackout-- not being able to recall entire incidents, such as what exactly she or he did last night.
An individual may find it tough to learn and to hold on to knowledge if alcohol injures the hippocampus.

CEREBELLUM-- The cerebellum is essential for coordination, thoughts, and attention. An individual might have trouble with these skills once alcohol goes into the cerebellum. After consuming alcohol, an individual's hands might be so unsteady that they can't touch or grab things normally, and they may fail to keep their balance and tumble.

HYPOTHALAMUS-- The hypothalamus is a little part of the brain that does a fantastic variety of the body's housekeeping chores. Alcohol upsets the work of the hypothalamus. After an individual drinks alcohol, blood pressure, hunger, thirst, and the urge to urinate intensify while physical body temperature and heart rate decrease.

MEDULLA-- The medulla controls the body's unconscious actions, such as an individual's heartbeat. It also keeps the body at the right temperature. Alcohol really chills the physical body. Consuming a great deal of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can trigger a person's physical body temperature level to fall below normal. This dangerous situation is knowned as hypothermia.

An individual might have difficulty with these skills once alcohol enters the cerebellum. After consuming alcohol, an individual's hands may be so unsteady that they can't touch or take hold of things properly, and they might lose their balance and tumble.

After an individual alcoholic beverages alcohol, blood pressure, hunger, thirst, and the desire to urinate increase while body temperature and heart rate decline.

Alcohol in fact chills the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can trigger a person's body temperature to fall below normal.
Sign up to rate and review this story