Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

The Trio Goes Horcrux Hunting

by Emilie_D 3 reviews

Perhaps the teens have a lead on a Horcrux...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-17 - Updated: 2006-09-17 - 1490 words - Complete

2Exciting
They found Severus standing by the fireplace, looking at the photos on the mantel.

"Is this Lily?" he asked. "She has your eyes, Zelda, but otherwise looks quite different from you. Your son is unmistakably yours, however. I find these stationary Muggle photos very dull."

"Lily's the beautiful one. Elijah and I are just the comic relief," Zelda said, smiling. "What about the Fidelius Charm?"

"I just finished. These three," he said, meaning Harry, Hermione and Ron - "will have access along with myself, but they are now unable to divulge the location to anyone... so you will no longer have stray wizards dropping by for breakfast." Severus smiled at her. "Your house is Unplottable now as well. Hogwarts is still safer, but there few other places as thoroughly protected as this."

They all sat down. The pile of dusty, leather bound books strewn on her couch caught Zelda's attention, and she began browsing the pile.

"/Moste Potente Potions/?" she asked curiously, picking up the book. It fell open to the page entitled, The Polyjuice Potion and her eyes widened in amazement, as she read it. She flipped through the pages, and an astonished smile transformed her face. She looked up at them and said, "This is amazing!"

She set the book down and began reading the other titles. Muggles Who Notice and Philosophy of the Mundane caught her eye immediately.

"Is it Christmas?" she asked, blue eyes sparkling with excitement. "Why are they here? May I read them?"

Severus was charmed by her interest. "I brought most of them for you to read, if you would like to."

"Why... um, did you take /Moste Potente Potions/, Professor?" Hermione asked interestedly.

"Were you planning to make a batch of bathtub Polyjuice Potion?" Zelda quipped, making all of them laugh.

"Never mind," Severus snapped, flushing slightly. "I hope to be able to return them someday."

Zelda had turned her attention to a heavy tome entitled /Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy/. She opened it curiously, and began reading the Forward. The conversation moved on without her as she became more fascinated.

Severus applied Legilimency to Ron subtly, without any of them realizing he was doing it. He did not feel it immediately, but suddenly he glared, and Severus felt his mind go blank.

"Hey!" Ron said, outraged. "That was sneaky."

"That is the point," Severus said sternly. "You must be on your guard at all times, since the best Legilimens can be inside your thoughts before you are aware of it."

Severus tried Hermione next, and she repelled him strongly before he broke through her defenses.

"If you continue to practice, Miss Granger, you will be a competent Occlumens," he said, causing her to blush with surprise.

Finally he turned his attention to Harry, and this time he took out his wand... and pointed it at the young man.

"/Legilimens/!" he growled, sending intense pressure crashing at Harry's mind.

There had been an element of trust between himself and Snape in their earlier lessons here at Zelda's house, but Harry realized that it was gone now. This was brute force. He could sense Snape beginning to see his frightened, outraged thoughts, and at first started to panic. But he found a cold hard place in his mind to anchor his consciousness to, and he slammed down his thoughts - locking his mind against the intruder. Once he had managed it, he felt calm, as if he could maintain this state for a long time. He didn't notice when the pressure was removed.

"Potter," Severus said, touching Harry's shoulder to recall him.

Harry shook his head, confused, wondering how he had done it. He looked up at Severus, and was amazed to receive a small nod from him.

"Finally you are finding your strength, Potter. You did not succeed at Occlumency before this because you did not choose to learn it," Severus said, and he received a shamefaced nod from Harry in response.

"We'll be going soon, Sir," said Harry quietly. "Is there anything else we need to discuss?"

Severus looked from one to the other. In contrast to his past experiences with Potter, the boy was thoughtful and serious. A good omen, he thought. It might be too much to hope that it would last, but what happened to these three was out of his hands once they left him.

"You had the gall to ask me if I might inadvertently betray Zelda to the Dark Lord, Potter, and now I ask you the same question," Severus said. "No one must know of her existence, and your skill as an Occlumens is her protection. You have made significant improvement... will you practice frequently?"

"This time I will," Harry replied grimly. "And... Sir... I'm sorry... about the last time." It obviously took great effort for him to maintain eye contact, but he looked unflinchingly at Severus as he spoke.

Hermione and Ron obviously had no idea what Harry was talking about, but Severus recalled vividly the humiliation of finding Potter invading his memory in the Pensieve. He stared at the boy in amazement. Potter apologizing? He was speechless; all he could do was nod and hope that he was understood.

Zelda broke in at this opportune moment. "Excuse me, have any of you read this book? I thought Muggle genealogists are deranged, but this guy's completely out of control! /Nature's Freaks/, if you ask me!" she snorted.

"I remember that book," exclaimed Ron, "There's a copy at Number Twelve. Sirius used it to smash that silver spider thing, remember?"

"Never mind that now," Zelda said, recalling their impending departure. "I'm easily distracted. Are you really ready to go?"

Harry nodded, so nervous now that he felt like he might soon puke. He wished it didn't feel so much like he was stepping off a cliff without a broom. He saw that Hermione and Ron looked pale and serious too.

"I wonder..." Zelda said tentatively. "Can you send me word? Let me know you're okay."

Severus frowned, but could not see any actual harm. "A post owl, perhaps?" He said, considering. "It would take time to arrive here, but perhaps... yes. Potter, if there is no other way to make contact, send an owl. But be extremely careful what you write. That is a good suggestion, my girl."

Harry pulled a handful of odd-looking coins out of his pocket and handed them to Zelda. "Use these to pay owls. They won't leave until you pay them and they won't accept Muggle money."

Zelda looked at the assortment of Knuts and Sickles curiously. "Are these actually silver?" she asked, thinking that Muggle money had not been silver is decades. "Is this one /gold/?" She was amazed.

"Yeah," Harry replied casually. "The Galleon's too much though, you'll probably use Sickles to pay an owl to fly this far. Oh, and sometimes they're hungry or thirsty."

"I don't keep frozen bats, do I need to pick up a few?" she asked, looking fascinated.

"No, just a bit of toast, or whatever you have handy," Harry replied, appreciating her positive attitude. After years of hearing the Dursleys say hateful things about "bloody owls" it was nice to hear that Zelda was excited about them. "Zelda, maybe sometime you can see Hedwig. She's my owl."

The trio rose then and they walked out toward the back yard. Zelda walked next to Harry.

"I hate goodbyes, Harry," she said, looking ironically into his eyes. "An owl would be okay, but if you need a break, or want to Apparate in for tea, you're always welcome. Even if I'm not here, please come and take whatever you need. I hope to see you soon."

"Thanks, Zelda, for everything," Harry replied in a hoarse voice. He could not say any more.

Zelda gave him a hug and they continued to walk through the garden, where they caught up with the others.

Zelda went to say goodbye to Hermione and Ron, and Severus was left alone with Harry Potter. They looked cautiously at each other.

"Good luck, Potter. Try not to waste too much time dispatching the Horcruxes," Severus said, feeling extremely awkward.

"Professor... Thank you," Harry said. "I'll see you later, I suppose."

Severus realized when that might be, and he raised one eyebrow. "You will see me eventually, Potter, and before that I will probably see you. You may not know it, however."

Severus held out his hand, and Harry gripped it firmly, looking up at him with a sudden, wicked twinkle in his green eyes. "Take care of Zelda, Professor," he said knowingly.

Severus could feel the corner of his mouth twitch. If somehow they all survived this, he believed he would never hear the end of this absurd situation.

"Of course I will, Potter," Severus replied, his expression almost softening for a moment. "Be off now... and good hunting."

Harry went to join his friends and, with a pop, they disappeared.
Sign up to rate and review this story