Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Adios, Severus

by Emilie_D 1 review

Severus goes back to work.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-09-18 - Updated: 2006-09-19 - 2485 words - Complete

1Exciting
They attended to business first. Severus sorted through his collection of black clothes to decide what he would wear. Zelda had been right, he did not know how long he would be wearing them, and he was glad that they were not only comfortable, but also acceptably discreet. His jacket had several interior pockets, and one of these was perfect for his wand.

"Clothes, a wand and a plan," pronounced Zelda, looking satisfied. "You're ready, dear boy."

"No, not yet," he said, his eyes now glittering...

The next few hours they spent together were intensely emotional. Knowing that possibly they may never meet again made it essential to speak honestly and deeply of their love. There could be no illusions for them that this leave-taking was anything but wrenching grief. Their lovemaking was profoundly tender, and afterward, Severus slept briefly, with his face nestled against Zelda's breasts. Even in sleep he felt safe and loved with her.

Zelda held him close, silent tears running down her face to fall into his black hair. She didn't dare to think about what he was going to, back in that other world she couldn't even imagine. She thought of Harry Potter too, so young and so burdened with the responsibility of his world's survival. Was it like her world, she wondered... where most people ignored danger; gladly preferring to let a few people carry the burden for all of them?

She wondered about the Ministry of Magic. The magical world had a government, what was it doing to oppose the Dark Lord? It must be ineffective, she reasoned, if a small group of private citizens was forced to battle the threat. She sighed, thinking that since she could not be there, she should put it out of her mind - but it was hard. Like hearing one small piece of an epic drama, and having no idea how it turns out, she thought... until Severus came back to tell her.

Michael would arrive in twenty minutes, she realized, and then their time would be over.

"Sev... wake up, my boy. It's time," she said, pleased that her voice was still steady. The hand that was stroking his long hair shook slightly, and she hoped he couldn't tell.

He stirred, and then his arms closed firmly around her. He began kissing her breasts and she smiled blissfully, loving how he always seemed to know precisely the right thing to do.

Severus was in the shower when Zelda opened the door to Michael, expecting wisecracks from him. He stepped inside and looked her over carefully, before giving her a long hug.

"Where's the tough broad, Zel? I see why you didn't want to fall in love babe, you're one vulnerable girl, aren't you?" He stepped back and said bracingly, "Don't make this harder for Severus than it already is. Chin up!"

"Thanks for coming, Michael," she said, as they sat down in the living room. "He's taking a shower, and after that he'll be ready."

"Is that a hickey, you little slut?" Michael smirked. "I'm proud of you, Zel. You've shed that nasty puritanical streak, and you're a better woman for it."

"I've never been puritanical, Michael!" she protested, looking very hurt. "You know I don't care what anybody... well, anybody who's a consenting adult, wants to do."

"Yeah, but I like to see you doing something yourself. I should've known you'd be ridiculous enough to fall in love before you'd do it, and not with a normal bloke, either."

"Normal blokes are boring..." replied Zelda. "Severus is... oh Goddess, Michael, if he doesn't come back... you know, this is it for me."

"I know." Michael said, "You two... I can tell this thing between you is something amazing. Maybe it's so amazing because you both knew he'd be leaving, but maybe it's more," he mused. "It sucks that he has to leave, Zel, but you're very lucky."

A sound from the hallway made them both turn, and Severus, dressed all in black, strode into the room, his face expressionless. Zelda stood up, made eye contact, and smiled at him. His expression returned, and he held out his arms to her. He looked up and said, "Hello, Michael."

"Come and sit down here for a minute," Michael said.

They complied, sitting down close together.

"I have something for you, Severus," Michael said. "He reached into the small bag he brought along, and pulled out a small gleaming gun, and a small box.

Severus stared at it thoughtfully. It was not magical, but it was elegantly simple and deadly. It was the same handgun he had used earlier in the day, he noticed. The box held ammunition. He looked up at Michael, who was watching his expression.

"I cannot deny that it might provide a slight edge in some situations," said Severus, "And I thank you. Is there anything I should know about it that you have not told me earlier?"

"It's already loaded. I showed you the safety, of course," Michael said, "Keep it always on, unless you need to shoot. Don't threaten anyone with it, Severus. If you pull it out, use it immediately."

"Sev, there's a pocket inside your jacket... here I'll show you," Zelda said. She slid her hands inside it, and rubbed his sides briefly before pointing out a pocket where the gun fit perfectly. "Keep the safety on," she warned, as Severus slipped it inside. The ammunition went into another pocket. The gun felt very light, but solid in his pocket, and he was comforted a little by it.

"Hey, before you go, dear boy, why did you bring Moste Potente Potions here? You never answered Hermione's question," Zelda asked curiously. "And what should I do with the books?"

His lips twitched as Severus replied, "Ever since Potter and his friends managed to get their grubby hands on that book in their second year and brew Polyjuice Potion, I have kept an eye on it. Since I will not be at Hogwarts, I thought I'd spare the staff that headache."

"What's the real reason?" she asked, smiling sweetly at him. "Or shall I guess?"

He flushed, and admitted, "I think you know, my girl... I have always loved that book, since I was a student."

"The same reason if I were going into exile I'd grab /The Complete Jane Austen/," she said with a smile. "I'll take care of it... and all of them, for you."

"I know," he said, putting a hand to her cheek as he gazed at her.

They rose and began walking toward the back door, Michael following silently. The moon lit their way, and Severus could not help giving the old hammock a reminiscent glance as he passed. Zelda giggled, having done the exact same thing at the same moment, and Severus turned and took her into his arms one last time.

"Darling Zelda," he murmured, "My adorable soul mate. We will be together again... please believe it."

She offered her mind to his Legilimency, and he smiled as he read her love and faith in him. "Only you, Sev, as long as I live," she whispered, kissing his cheek. "I'll see you later."

He looked past her to Michael, and held out his hand. "Thank you Michael. Take care of yourself, and Zelda."

Michael gripped his hand, and said, "It's under control here, man. Let go now, and do your job."

Zelda kissed Severus once more, pulling back reluctantly from his arms. Severus smiled slightly at them... and then he vanished.

She stood motionless, staring at the spot where he had been, until Michael put his arm around her shoulders and led her back to the house.

Michael thought she might cry, but her face was expressionless as they entered the brightly lit kitchen.

"I don't feel tired Michael, and I'm going to have some tea," she said evenly. "You don't really have to stay here tonight. I'll be fine."

"You'll be fine, Zel," Michael insisted, "but I'm staying and I'd love some tea. Do you have any of those shortbread cookies?" he asked, while wondering what was behind her deceptive calm.

She bustled around for a few minutes, seeming to want to be busy. When she sat down across from him at the table, he could see the strain in her eyes, and knew he wouldn't leave that night.

"How'd you meet him, girl?" Michael asked quietly. He couldn't imagine how Zelda had even learned that a wizard existed, much less fallen in love with Severus.

"It was when I went up north, Michael..." Zelda said. "I was going hiking early in the morning, not even a week ago..."

She told him everything, and the relief of it was enormous. After the first startling day or so, Severus had felt so right - and their growing connection seemed so joyously natural to her. It wasn't until she was telling another person, such as Michael, that she realized now how incredible the story actually sounded.

"If I hadn't met him, and seen you with him, I'd think you were insane." Michael said. "The Dark Lord... Mwahahahahaha... Unforgivable Curses, and that kid too... Harry Potter, the Chosen One who's going to save them all?" He mused, "Good God, Zel."

"I know. It seemed weird, but it was real, so I could accept it. You saw Harry and his friends. They're real. I saw them all do magic. You saw Severus do it." She smiled ironically. "If I'm insane, you're insane - right?"

"We already know that, Zel," Michael replied, "You know, even if I never see Severus again - which is not possible, because you're going to marry him - it was still exciting to be surprised by something." Michael cocked his head as he thought out loud, "I should've asked him if he has any gay wizard friends."

She began laughing and said, "I can't wait to meet your new prospect, baby. You know, if gay marriage is legal for British Wizards, we can make it a double wedding!"

At that, they laughed until Zelda couldn't stand it any longer, and she then began to cry - finally overcome by emotion. Michael took her back to the living room, and she sobbed against his shoulder until she was exhausted. They fell asleep on the couch, and stayed there until the morning.

Zelda awoke stiff and aching, completely disoriented. She sat up... and remembered, with a pang, that Severus had gone. Michael was snoring in the corner of the couch, and the cats were lined up on the coffee table staring at her.

She decided to make coffee, since Michael would have to go home to take care of the dogs soon. The cats swarmed around her ankles, insisting that their breakfast should be her priority. She looked around her familiar kitchen, and wondered if she really could just go back to her old life...

Her old life... Which in reality was based on being a mother to children who now had their own lives. Lily was on an internship in Switzerland for a year; she was definitely a young woman with her own plans. And Elijah... hyper-motivated young man that he was, had started college in California - with no plans to come home before Christmas. She loved them, and was happy that they were both stable and independent people, in spite of their parents' wretched divorce. It seemed that her life was her own, for the first time.

"I smell coffee, Zel, are you planning to share?" Michael asked, rubbing his lower back.

"Anything, Michael. I owe you for last night," she said lightly.

"I'm too old to have slumber parties like this, my back's killing me," he grumbled, watching her pour his coffee.

She sat down with him, and they drank their coffee in companionable silence. Michael wasn't happy with the way she looked. There were dark circles under her eyes and she was biting her lip nervously. "Come with me to walk the girls," he said abruptly. "I think we should talk some more, okay? I have more questions, and I'll buy you breakfast afterward."

Zelda reflected that she had nothing better to do, and it was comforting to be with the one person who knew what her life had become. She nodded and said, "I'll change clothes and we can go."

The morning was beautiful, and it was early, so they had the park to themselves. They let the dogs run, and as always, they were delighted with their graceful exuberance. Zelda couldn't help slipping back to her memories of Severus though, and she wanted to throw herself onto the ground and sob... like a child, she thought nastily. Instead, she tried her Occlumency, and going further, she tried to form a compartment, picturing a lock box, for her memories and feelings for Severus. The mental exercise helped to ground her, she realized with hope.

"Zelda! What's wrong?" Michael grabbed her shoulders hard, and looked in her eyes. "Are you all right?"

She was shaken out of her concentration. "Yes, I'm fine," she said. She remembered suddenly, Severus asking whether Michael might be capable of Occlumency.

"Michael, look in my eyes," she said carefully. "I need to try something."

He looked into her blue eyes curiously. In the past they had come close like this, so close it had scared both of them, and they had retreated nervously to a comfortable, wisecracking surface relationship. Now Michael began to see things in her eyes, memories of him, some from long ago, from the time they never spoke of any more. He saw her throw popcorn at his head at the Blue Moon, and he laughed. But he realized that there were no words, it was in the air between them, somehow. He looked away, shocked.

"What was that, Zel?" he asked hoarsely. "How'd you do that?"

"Severus was right, Michael, you can do it too. He said he used Legilimency before he told you yesterday... to see if it was safe to tell you, and that you felt him. Muggles aren't supposed to feel it." She finished her disjointed statement and put her hand on his arm reassuringly. "It's a kind of magic, Michael. Congratulations, you're magical, buddy."

"Magical?" he said, frightened, but also relieved that there was a name for this strange thing he shared only with Zelda, as far as he knew. "I've always been like this, you remember... and you too.... Is this what magic is?"

Zelda smiled a real smile, for the first time since Severus left. "I always felt like some kind of freak, you know, ever since I began to realize no one else saw what I could see in people's eyes. Now I know it has a name, and I'm learning to do some interesting things. It's probably a stupid thing for a couple of Muggles like us - but... would you like to learn Occlumency, Michael?"
Sign up to rate and review this story