Categories > Books > Wheel of Time > The Neverending War

The Awakening

by Minodrin 0 reviews

The Dark One breaks his prison

Category: Wheel of Time - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Characters: Dark One - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-06-27 - Updated: 2005-06-27 - 541 words

1Original
Chapter 1
The Awakening

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even the myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In the First Age, an Age yet to come, an Age long gone, a wind rose among the mountains of Himalayas. The wind was not the beginning, there are neither beginnings or endings in the Wheel of Time, but it was a beginning.

The wind flew over farms in China, easing the hard burdens of the poor Chinese commoners. The wind continued to the north and west, it flew over the great forests in Soviet Russia. The wind flew over the nation of Poland, where twenty years ago the government had crushed rioting members of the Solidarity party, and with that crush destroyed the path of release for the people of Eastern Europe. But the wind flew on, flew over the Norwegian mountains, to finally come to rest at the island of Mageroya in northern Norway.

At the same time, at the same place, yet as far from the place as could be counted in human terms and more, a voice called out in the darkness. Filled with more anger and hate than anyone had ever heard, and any mortal would ever heard. The voice screamed "Dragon!". It was the voice of the Dark One. At the end of the last age, right at the pinnacle of his victory, the Dragon had destroyed everything. The World, the Stars, the opening to the prison of the Dark One. Everything. And the Dark One raged.

The Dark One said no more. There was no one to hear him, not even the Creator. Ever since the Wheel had started the first age in a great blast, the Dark One had tried to break trough the invisible prison which held him. And now he had succeeded. It was only a small hole, it could hardly have let his little finger come trough, had he been a human, in a prison of stone and steel. But he watched, and learned, and planned.

The World was at peace, a cold peace, a peace of terror. Small nations fought each other, but it did not matter, small nations as they were. Two great nations held the power to destroy each other, and the world, in the blink of an eye. It was a peace of terror, a peace which could be broken by giving the world something that could shift the balance. Something that could save the world from the destruction of the nuclear weapons, yet destroy the world. Something the Creator had created, something that had always been tool of his destruction. He could not rule it, but he could trap it. And he had used almost all of his power to hold the tool of his destruction from the ones that would be able to use it to destroy him. This time it would be the tool of his victory. And the Dark One decided to release his grip over something the world was not prepared for, something that would make them destroy themselves

He broke his prison, and released the One Power to the world once again.
Sign up to rate and review this story