Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Bittersweet Roses

Chapter 1

by Amaya-san 1 review

Please review!

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2018-09-02 - Updated: 2018-09-02 - 1141 words - Complete

0Unrated
Joining the Survey Corps wasn’t always something a child grew up daydreaming about in those lulling summer days. It’s one of those things that life has a way of carrying someone to; you get caught in the current and swept away by the stream. One could definitely say that the front lines of the military were more like an undertow during a roaring storm.


Lia certainly never intended to end up venturing outside of the walls. Like every aspiring soldier in the training corps, she set out to graduate in the top ten of her class and join the Military to get as far away from the outside world as possible. Unfortunately, graduating in the top ten of the class requires a higher level of skill.


Three branches of the military were drafted to save different areas of the city’s walls from the enemy- the Scout Regiment, who ventured outside of the walls to head the front lines; the Garrison Regiment, who protected those inside the walls in case of infiltration; and the Military Police, who were farthest from harm to protect the king in the innermost wall.


Humanity had been at war for over one hundred years. The opposing force was a seemingly never-ending fleet of Titans, humanoid creatures devoid of digestive tracts and reproductive organs. These beings had one sole purpose- consuming people. Their bodies had the ability to heal from any injury but their only weakness, which was a small section at the nape of the neck. Considering the size of the nape remains the same despite the height of the Titan, this made larger classes difficult to eliminate.


The walls had been safe for nearly one hundred years; the Survey Corps- or Scout Regiment- saw the worst of it, as they ventured beyond safety and had the only real contact with Titans. For victory! For glory! For science!


Logically, Lia would have signed up for the Garrison Regiment. Her parents had their hearts set on the Military Police for her career, but considering she had graduated at the bottom of the class, she was dubbed as unfit to protect the king. She would have gone Garrison had she not been daydreaming and had foggily ended up in the wrong area, signing the wrong bit of parchment. It was not her proudest moment.


The whole thing was rather embarrassing; Lia was known for her clumsiness and shunned as the weak link. She sat alone during mealtimes, and her partners would complain and jeer when it came to hand to hand combat assignments. The Survey Corps would hopefully be a fresh start, only a few faces from her class having signed up.


It was difficult, at first, to try to ignore the complaints made by those familiar with her lack of abilities and knack for fumbles, but after a few days in the barracks with the rest of the crew, it became a bit easier. The individuals that showed distaste for her company stayed at a distance, leaving her to room near a group of blissfully ignorant soldiers.


Overall, not a whole lot of tension went on between the soldiers, at least as far as Lia was aware of. It was far more peaceful to be with people that didn’t know her gruesome track record. It shed some light on the toxicity of peer rejection and brought a spark of self-respect. This meant things were at least smooth for the time being.


If her first few days had accounted for anything, it was the notice of a young man with longer dark hair cut short at the nape. He had a pair of daunting blue eyes and seemed to belong to no friendships. Lia found him interesting and had been studying him a bit whilst trying not to draw attention to herself. She mostly hid behind a bit of sketch paper and once found herself idly drawing his eyes.


This had startled her, and she had promptly crossed them out before looking about wildly to make sure no one had noticed. He had a bit of a reputation, and it didn’t take long for her to learn that he had fairly recently transitioned to the Survey Corps and had previously been a thug from the underground. His name was Levi, and his fighting skills were already legendary.


After about a week of settling into headquarters, which Lia had spent with her nose in books or making tiny sketches, they were preparing to venture beyond the walls. A recent scouting group had reported a number of Titans residing in the cover of a forest and they were readying to observe them within a safer habitat.


A knot of anxiety had worked its way into the pit of Lia’s stomach. Would she be a major burden to her comrades? Would she embarrass herself beyond reputational repair? Would she even survive her first mission?


Slicing and dicing the practice Titans had been barely possible. She could use her 3D Maneuvering gear, but lacked the finesse and confidence of her classmates. Frankly speaking, it was her determination alone that had even led to graduation. She had been fortunate to pass.


Now she would be facing live Titans, dangerous and lethal. The very idea was enough to put her off of meals for the day. She feared to even open her mouth should her stomach jump out and make a break for it. She tried to hide her trembling fingers and weak knees by assisting with packing provisions.


Gas was plentiful in her own chambers, but she went back and forth for others to fill theirs, eager to be of some use before inevitable peril. It would seem some of her peers were thinking along the same lines, because she caught someone saying, "At least she has one good use before she becomes fodder." Lia bit her lip and kept going.


The horses were saddled and it was eventually time for the pain-staking long process of donning gear. The harness was always the tricky part, and with a great heave, Lia yanked it up her legs and promptly fell to the floor with a loud, "oomph." She was back on her feet in a split second, cheeks burning with humiliation. It seemed no one really took notice, or perhaps it happened more frequently than she imagined.


The troops were ready and saddled in no time, and making their way toward the gate of Wall Maria. For the first time, Lia felt unbearably aware of the judgmental gazes and whispers of the residents. She kept her hazel eyes forward and her jaw set, adamant on hiding her panic and the fluttering birds that seemed desperate to break free from her stomach. With a great rumble, the gate was opened, and the sight of sunshine and green grass was all-consuming.
Sign up to rate and review this story