Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Zelda Visits The Burrow

by Emilie_D 1 review

Molly takes Zelda to lunch.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Molly Weasley - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-21 - 2809 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Minerva excused herself from the others once they had resolved the question of the Order. She had a thousand things to resolve before the opening of term, so she left Zelda and Molly to become acquainted and begin the strategy discussions. Molly asked Zelda to come to lunch at the Burrow, and Zelda accepted.

"I'll bring her back in the afternoon, Minerva, but we need some time to talk together," Molly explained, "Also, Arthur plans to come home for lunch today, and I'd like him to meet Zelda."

As Molly and Zelda walked down to the gates - which Molly had been empowered to open - Zelda said, "I look forward to meeting your husband, Molly, but I've heard a lot from the kids about Fred and George. I'd love to meet them too sometime."

"When did you have time to hear about my family?" Molly asked, surprised.

"When Harry was at my house, and he went to fetch Ron and Hermione," Zelda explained, "they stayed over night at my house. Over dinner I got to hear about Ron's entire family, and I must say, you seem remarkably strong after raising them." Zelda chuckled. "I really love Ron, he's so smart, and so funny too. He has such joie de vivre."

They reached the gates. Molly pointed her wand at the chain, which slithered to the ground, allowing the gates to open for them. They passed through, and Molly put the chains back in place and held out her hand to Zelda, and they Apparated.

The sun was still shining, but they were suddenly in a very different place, Zelda thought confusedly. Apparating was amazing, but being a Side-Along passenger meant she had no control and was forced to trust her magical guide. It was very unsettling.

The Burrow was a tall, crazy-looking jigsaw puzzle of a house that looked as though occasionally someone had decided to tack on another room - so waved a wand, and 'poof!' - one more room hung from the building's side. The garden they stood in was large and weedy, with a pond and several small outbuildings that looked like satellites placed around the disconcerting bulk of the house.

The door into the garden opened immediately, and a teenage girl with long, shining red hair tumbled out the door to meet them. "Mum, you're back!" she said. "You didn't tell me you were going to Hogwarts... just a note when I woke up? What's going on?"

Ginny took a better look at the witch standing with her mother, a complete stranger, and looked enquiringly at her mother.

"Zelda, this is my daughter, Ginny." Molly said exasperatedly. "Ginny, this is my new friend, Zelda Larsson. She's helping Professor McGonagall with some changes to the school curriculum this summer and I've invited her to lunch."

Zelda was very interested in seeing Harry's girlfriend, but did not know if Molly was aware of the relationship - so she simply smiled and said, "Nice to meet you, Ginny."

Ginny stared. "You're American, aren't you?" she asked, now deeply suspicious. Her mother had spent all of her time - Ginny's whole life - absorbed at home with raising her large family and had never had many 'friends' who came to lunch.

"I reckon I am," Zelda said, in an exaggerated Texas drawl that drew a smile from Ginny. She continued in a normal voice, "It's very hot there in the summer, so coming here's a refreshing change for me."

A movement from behind one of the outbuildings distracted Zelda, and she watched as a very large ginger cat stalked slowly toward them. He had a cold, cynical look in his eye, she thought, but seemed very happy, purring loudly when Ginny scooped him into her arms and cuddled him.

"This is Crookshanks," she said fondly. "He belongs to a friend of mine, but I'm watching him for a few days."

There was something a bit different about Crookshanks, Zelda thought, eyeing the beast carefully. She stepped cautiously closer, held a hand out slowly for him to sniff, and studied him carefully. Crookshanks sniffed her hand and pushed his head under it, wanting to be petted, so Zelda complied with a smile, missing her own cats very much.

"You must be all right, then," said Ginny, rather approvingly, "if Crookshanks likes you. He's an excellent judge of character."

"I can see that," Zelda replied, enjoying the familiar feel of the warm fur. "He must be very good company, he seems extremely intelligent."

He's part kneazle," Ginny replied, setting Crookshanks down as he began to struggle. They watched the cat race across the garden, chasing a small brownish lumpy creature, which dodged back and forth before diving into a hole next to some gnarled tree roots. "He loves to chase the gnomes, you know, and there aren't any where Hermione lives," Ginny said, laughing.

"I'm going in to get lunch ready now," Molly said. "Would you like to come and keep me company while I work?"

"I'd love to, Molly," Zelda replied. "I feel a little guilty, taking a break from my work at Hogwarts before I've even really started it, but I'll work extra hard later to make up for it. This feels like a holiday to me."

They entered the tiny kitchen, and Zelda was fascinated. There was a very strange clock standing against the wall, which only had one hand that she could see. Going closer to look, it had various chores listed, and practical reminders on it. The hand was pointing to 'Time to make lunch,' and Molly busied herself immediately.

"What a cool clock," Zelda said admiringly. "You must be totally organized if you live with that every day."

"Unfortunately the rest of my family don't use the clocks I made for them," Molly said, glaring slightly in Ginny's direction. "I spend too much time compensating for their chaotic attitudes."

A clamoring out in the garden distracted her from what was obviously an old grievance, and Ginny jumped up and ran out the door. "Mum, they're back!" she called, and looking out the window, Zelda saw that Harry, Hermione and Ron were walking toward the house. Ginny ran up to them and gave Ron a quick hug, then Hermione, and finally, hesitating briefly, she hugged Harry, who hugged her back briefly before pulling away.

Molly went to the doorway, and said, "You're just in time, we'll be having lunch in about twenty minutes, come in and wash up. We have a guest for lunch too, so behave yourselves."

Ron had a good idea who the guest must be, and allowed Hermione and Harry to go first. They had expected Zelda to be safely tucked away at Hogwarts, with Professor McGonagall. Therefore they were astonished to see her standing in Molly Weasley's kitchen, wearing black robes - and looking rather more magical than Muggle.

"Zelda!" Hermione cried, giving her a hug. "I'm so glad you're here, we have so much to tell you." She remembered that Ginny and Mrs. Weasley were there, and broke off, flushing at her indiscretion.

"Ginny introduced me to Crookshanks," Zelda said bracingly. "He's marvelous. I really envy you, having such a clever cat."

As she spoke, Crookshanks strolled smugly in through the open door. Hermione swept the beast into her arms and began to murmur lovingly in his furry ear.

Zelda smiled at Harry, who had just finished hugging Mrs. Weasley, and said, "It's good to see you, Harry."

"Hey, Zelda," he said, and hugged her. "You look amazing. How do you like Hogwarts?"

"It's incredible, amazing, and I wish I thought Michael would believe me if I tell him about it," she said wistfully. "I've got two massive books to read that I haven't even cracked open yet. I also think I'll need to ask Hermione to sit down and chat with me at some point, since she did Muggle Studies one year, didn't she?"

"Yeah, she did," replied Harry cheerfully. "Professor McGonagall's brilliant, having a Muggle and a Muggle-born talk about how to make the class better. I don't think many people take it now, you know. Except for Hermione, of course, who wants to take all the classes?"

Ginny had watched the exchange between Harry and Zelda closely, and at his last words, she interrupted them. "You're a Muggle?" she asked in disbelief.

Zelda smiled gently and said, "It was bound to come up in conversation at some point, Ginny. Yes, I'm a Muggle. I hope your shock means I don't look like one though."

Ginny felt stares from the others in the room, as she said, "No, you don't. But how did you meet my mum, and Harry and the others. And why are you working at Hogwarts?"

"Don't interrogate her, Ginny," Molly snapped. "That's very rude, and maybe this isn't your business. Why don't you go out and begin de-gnoming the garden before lunch?"

Zelda decided not to say a word, and Ginny only gave her mother one dirty look before heading outdoors.

"Crookshanks and I'll go help her," Hermione said casually, following her quickly out the door. Harry and Ron glanced at each other; edging toward the door, but stopped when Zelda spoke.

"Guys, please stay a minute," she said, rolling her eyes. "I know you're going to tell Hermione everything we talk about, right?"

They nodded sheepishly, but seemed relieved at her understanding of the situation.

"Furthermore, is there the slightest chance that Hermione's not telling Ginny everything she knows about me?" Zelda pressed on, relentlessly.

"Ginny's not of age," Molly said loudly. "The business of the Order is not for her. It's my job to keep her safe." She added, her voice rising in fear, "It's bad enough that the others... and now you, Ron... I cannot bear it if anything happens to Ginny. We've almost lost her once already."

"Mum," Ron began, "I don't want anything to happen to Ginny either, none of us want that. But we can't keep everything from her, she's almost sixteen and she's tougher than any of us knew."

"Ron, can she keep our secrets? I don't care what Ginny knows about me, but that means another person will know about Severus," Zelda said seriously, "Your mother knows some things, at least - and there's a lot she'll learn that we haven't had time to discuss. But every other person who knows increases the risk of exposure. Also, what about..." She sighed and looked straight at Molly, "the Horcruxes?"

Molly turned quite pale at the word. "Horcruxes?" she asked levelly. "Tell me about them," she said grimly.

Zelda looked at Ron and told him, "Finish making lunch please, would you?" When he nodded, Zelda said, "Molly, come and sit down. This is something that only Professor Dumbledore and the kids knew about before. These three have kept this secret for the past school year, and I have no hesitation in trusting them completely."

"Ronald Weasley... you knew about... Horcruxes?" Molly whispered, wide-eyed.

"Voldemort made them, and he can't be completely destroyed until all of his Horcruxes are destroyed - or he'll be able to come back," Ron said in a low voice. "But some are gone already. That's what we've been doing, Mum. Harry's got to do this, so we... Hermione and me, we're in it with him. We can't let him do it alone," he finished passionately.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Weasley," Harry said weakly. He had never seen his friend's mum look so shattered, and he felt horribly guilty.

Molly looked from one to the other of the boys, first Ron's stormy face as he fussed at the stove, and then Harry, looking a bit isolated and lonely, as he often did. Her voice was surprisingly calm as she said, "Please tell me now, boys."

Harry glanced at Zelda, who smiled encouragingly and nodded. "Tell her all about it Harry. She needs to know the whole story of the Horcruxes. Trust her like you trust Professor McGonagall."

So Harry told her everything he had learned with Professor Dumbledore, about Voldemort's past and about the Horcruxes. When he got to the part about Tom Riddle's diary - and she realized that her daughter had been possessed by a piece of Voldemort's soul - Molly looked as if she might be sick - but she remained silent, hearing Harry out. "So the destroyed ones are the diary, the ring, and now the locket," Harry said, "and we're looking for the Hufflepuff cup, and something we don't know, and then we'll probably have to kill Nagini," he finished wearily.

"It's wrong, Harry," Molly said, confounded. "You shouldn't have to do this, it's a job for grown wizards, it's... " Her voice died as she remembered then that the young man before her was the 'Chosen One', the boy whom the wizarding world expected to take care of Voldemort.

"No one's going to help him, Mum," Ron said firmly, "They all want to pretend that... Voldemort's not a threat to them. But he's our friend, we have to, and I'm of age, so you can't stop me."

"It's wrong... " Molly said again, weakly.

"It's wrong." Zelda said sternly. "I wish I could say I'm surprised that no one else's stepping up to help Harry... but I've lived long enough to know how rare real courage and generosity are in this world."

She put her arm comfortingly around Molly's shoulder, and continued, "What Ron and Hermione are doing for Harry is a wonderful thing, and what Harry's willing to do for your ungrateful world is damn near a miracle," she said. "Without their efforts, what would happen?"

Molly was lost in memory, as she had been so often lately, remembering the first time, and her brothers, so smart and funny, so brave. So many good people died then, and now it was happening again, today, and still almost no one was willing to lift a hand to fight it. A werewolf had scarred Bill, her oldest, so recently, and it seemed that somehow her family was tangled deeply in this battle.

"You're right, Ron," she said, tears filling her eyes. "It's a disgrace that more people aren't helping Harry. I won't try to stop you - but please, be careful."

"We're very careful mum," Ron said, exasperatedly, "Hermione blathers on endlessly about being careful, so we're not likely to forget, are we?"

"Thank heavens there's someone with sense in this mission," Zelda said, giving Molly a moment to collect herself. "By the way guys, have you seen any other Order members in your travels?"

Harry and Ron looked at each other, and Ron shrugged. "Nope," He said simply.

"One more thing boys," Zelda added. "I hate to seem obsessed, but will Ginny tell anyone about Severus - now that she undoubtedly knows the truth? I'd hate to ask someone to Obliviate her, but if it'll keep him safe - I will."

"I'll go and talk to her," Harry said, flushing slightly. "I don't think she'd ever say anything, but I hated being kept in the dark after Sirius was killed... and... this is the most important secret we've got."

"Who's telling secrets?" A man's voice made them all look up. A thin, balding man who must be Arthur Weasley stood in the doorway. "Hello, Harry," he said genially, "What secrets would they be?"

"Hello, Mr. Weasley," replied Harry awkwardly, "Um... I have to talk to the girls, but Mrs. Weasley can tell you." Taking his chance to escape, he slipped out the door.

"We have a visitor, Arthur," Molly said, having collected herself enough to rejoin Ron in preparing lunch. "Zelda, this is my husband Arthur, as you may have guessed. Arthur, this is Zelda Larsson, and she's at Hogwarts assisting Minerva McGonagall in updating the curriculum, now that the school will definitely open again this September."

"Delighted to meet you," Arthur Weasley said warmly, offering his hand. "Please call me Arthur - any friend of Molly's is a friend of mine."

"And I'm Zelda," she responded, liking him very much. She could see the trust and comfort between Molly and her husband, and thought that the two were very lucky to have been so well matched.

"What curriculum are you working on?" Arthur asked curiously, and Ron choked - meeting his mother's eye. They shared a moment of pure happiness, waiting for Zelda's response.

"I'm working on the Muggle Studies curriculum," she said, knowing amusedly that she was about to make this wizard's day she continued gently; "And I'm a Muggle."

Arthur Weasley's jaw dropped. In his shock, he knocked his eyeglasses clean off his face, but he then grasped her hand, shaking it furiously. "My dear lady, I am absolutely delighted to meet you," he said, "and I hope you'll be able to spend a great deal of time here with us."

Zelda laughed as she met Molly's knowing look. "I'd like that very much, Arthur. Thank you."
Sign up to rate and review this story