Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Oh, by the way...

by ilex 1 review

Some serious discussions at the D.A. meeting. The arrival of Anastasia Twigg-Jones at Hogwarts sets into motion a year of intrigue, revenge, laughter, secrets, love and murder that reaches into th...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-21 - Updated: 2006-09-21 - 2026 words

3Original



Chapter 2



Oh, by the way...





Rising, Professor Dumbledore went to Marietta and added his congratulations and well wishes. Signaling everyone to sit down, he began to pace slowly around the circle.



"As you all know by now, members of the Defense Association were involved in the events at the Ministry of Magic in June. I believe it is almost entirely due to the hard work that you, as a group, put into your meetings that helped them survive, suffering only minor injuries. At the time, I thought that most of their spell work was basic reflexive reaction to the spells being shot at them. However, after hearing their individual recollections, I understand that quite a few spells were used to hinder or subvert the actions of the Death Eaters. These were also learned and practiced at your meetings.



"This is highly commendable for two reasons: first, it shows they did not panic but used their combined efforts and knowledge of various spells to protect themselves, and each other, and avoid harm as much as possible.



"Secondly, they did not aim spells to hurt but to impede the Death Eaters. In discussions with our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher it has been decided this philosophy should be integrated into all of the course work, as part of getting everyone prepared for the inevitable attacks that Voldemort will unleash on our world. And yes," holding up his hand when he saw several students start to protest, "that will include members of Slytherin House, who, interestingly, do not bother taking Defense Against the Dark Arts after fifth year. That is their choice, but the younger members of Slytherin House will be taught the same as the rest of the school."



This information was greeted with a few frowns and snorts of derision, but mostly with shrugs; Defense Against the Dark Arts was, after all, a required part of the curriculum for all students only through fifth year.



"When we have settled into our school routine," continued Dumbledore, "the Defense Association will begin meeting again, freely, without interference or objections from the Ministry of Magic."



Cheers greeted this announcement. "Bravo!" "Splendid!" "Too right!" "Excellent!"



"You, as the original members," he smiled, "will be called upon to help train new members, who will soon be given the opportunity to join to supplement their Defense Against the Dark Arts class work. Even so, keeping Quidditch practice and other activities in mind, it will take a bit of juggling to get the groups organized," he gazed at them over his half moon glasses, "so a little patience is needed from all of you, if you please, until it is all sorted out."



"What about Slytherins joining?" Ernie McMillan posed the question on most of their minds.



"If they do choose to sign up, they will be allowed to attend," Dumbledore looked around slowly, "without prejudice or ill treatment on your part. However, I imagine a member of Slytherin House wanting to join will be the exception, not the rule."



"Sir, do you mind if I ask about....well, we all know, pretty much, what occurred in June at the Ministry of Magic. What we would really like to know is: what Harry and Ron and the rest were doing there in the first place?" Justin Finch-Fletchley got to the heart of the matter. "Why would they go there in the middle of the night?"



"Ah, yes, that is a reasonable question, but I must ask Harry if he's willing to discuss the circumstances yet, as it involved a personal loss on his part. Harry," the headmaster turned to him, with a small smile, "it's up to you."



X # X # X



Harry, knowing this was inevitable, nodded, took a deep breath and stood. Professor Dumbledore sat down and made himself comfortable. Unconsciously following the Headmaster's example, Harry began to walk slowly around inside the circle of sofas.



"It all started with Voldemort giving me my scar. We, that is, Professor Dumbledore and I, figured out about three years ago that there was an unintended, subconscious mental link between Voldemort and myself made at the time he tried to kill me. I couldn't read his thoughts but could sense his moods.



"Then, after he got his body back, I started to have what can only be described as visions of what was happening, through Voldemort's eyes. Just bits and pieces, mind, but I was also having dreams, repeatedly, of what turned out to be a hallway in the Ministry of Magic.



"At some point Voldemort must have realized this connection existed between us and used it to make me believe someone, a friend of mine, was being held in the Ministry and was about to be killed. It was a lie and a trap. He needed me there to retrieve a heavily guarded prophesy about us both, that he believed would tell him how to kill me. The prophesy sphere was destroyed before he could listen to it. But my friend, who arrived with our other rescuers, was killed by Bellatrix Lestrange."



"Your friend wasn't a student was he?" asked Susan Bones in a whisper. "I didn't hear of anybody else being there but you six."



"It was my Godfather, Sirius Black." There were a few gasps. Harry hung his head, sighed and then continued, "Without going into all the details, let me just say that the discovery of Peter Pettigrew being alive and now being with Voldemort as his 'loyal' servant proved Sirius had been falsely accused of all those murders. He was innocent of betraying my parents and was imprisoned at Azkaban for things he didn't do. Peter Pettigrew was the person responsible. I had been in contact with Sirius for over two years preceding the events at the Ministry."



"Harry, we're so sorry," said Cho Chang, speaking for everyone. "You needn't go any further; we don't want to impose on you."



Harry looked at her and saw the tears in her eyes. Yes, Cho would understand his not wanting to talk about Sirius, since she had had to deal with Cedric Diggory's death during the recent Tri Wizard Tournament.



He smiled at her and nodded. "Maybe later when we're discussing the different spells we used in June it'll be easier to talk about him. I hope that answers some of your questions."



Harry returned to his place next to Ginny, who gave his arm a squeeze. A heavy silence hung over the room. Dumbledore let them sit with their thoughts for a few moments, and then rose once more.



"Thank you, Harry. I think that was just enough, for the group and for you. Well, I said this would be a brief meeting. I'd better let you all head off to your dormitories. I would, however, request that Harry, Miss Weasley, Mister Weasley, Miss Lovegood, Miss Granger and Mister Longbottom stay for just a few minutes longer, please."



The rest of the students filed out, talking quietly. The remaining six stayed in their places, shooting quizzical looks at each other as Dumbledore shut the door and returned to settle himself on the arm of one of the sofas.



X # X # X



"I want to thank you, Harry, for addressing the group's curiosity. It should be enough for now and as you so astutely put it, the subject can be addressed again later in more detail."



Then Dumbledore turned to face Luna and Neville.



"I explained to you both this summer about the Order of the Phoenix. Now you are all, more or less, on the same footing, although you two have not been to the Headquarters. Perhaps some day you will have the chance. I think you six should be instrumental in the running of the Defense Association.



"To that end, I want you to meet our new professor when she arrives, which should be any time now." Rising, he pulled out his wand. "If you all wouldn't mind giving up your comfortable seats, I shall put the classroom back the way we found it."



The kids jumped up and watched the sofas change back into benches and slide themselves under the desks that settled into their regular positions. Then the Headmaster headed for the door.



"This reminds me, I must have a quick word with Dobby. I'll only be a few minutes." As he walked out, he looked back and added, "Oh, by the way, Neville, our new Defense against the Dark Arts professor is Anna Twigg-Jones."



X # X # X



The others turned to look at Neville, only to find him open mouthed and speechless, staring wide-eyed into space.



"Neville, what's the matter?"



"You all right, mate?"



"Who's Anna Twigg-Jones?"



"Neville? NEVILLE!"



Shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts, Neville looked around at his friends and broke into a grin. Then he threw his head back and roared with laughter. Now they really were concerned but he stopped laughing long enough to gasp, "She's my Godmother, and Gran hates her!"



Neville laughed again and then began to explain. "Oh, this is going to be absolutely superb! She's ever so much fun, but I haven't seen her for about five years, since she and Uncle Christopher came to visit and she and Gran had this terrible argument; screaming and yelling and calling each other some really nasty names. I haven't seen her since. Mind you, she always sends me the nicest gifts for my birthday and Christmas. This is just absolutely, bloody marvelous!" He dissolved into peals of laughter.



Now, however, the others were smiling with him, thoroughly relieved by this news.



"Tell us more, Neville," Hermione urged, "What does she look like? Is she an Auror? What's her husband do?"



"Well, actually," Neville, knotting his brows, began to answer her questions, "Uncle Christopher died almost two years ago. She was an Auror. As a matter of fact she started working with my parents right after she finished Auror schooling. They were really good friends, which is how she wound up being my Godmother."



Neville was getting more and more excited as he talked about her. "But when they were...injured...she quit her job as an Auror and went back to school to become a Healer. That's what the fight with Gran was about. See, Uncle Christopher was a Muggle, but he was a medical doctor and he and Aunt Anna were trying to get Gran to agree to let them try a new therapy on my parents. But Gran wouldn't give her permission.



"That's when the shouting and name calling started. I always thought my Gran was a sight when she was mad but it was nothing compared to Aunt Anna. I remember how Uncle Christopher dragged me out into the hallway and told me he had learned to not be in the same room as Aunt Anna when she lost her temper. It was just 'basic safety' he called it," Neville chuckled at the memory.



"She's got a great sense of humor, though, and she is a world class practical joker. She is almost always late, with NO concept of time. So the fact she's getting here at this late hour of the evening is not in the least unusual." He shook his head and smiled.



Just then Professor Dumbledore re-entered the classroom and walked over to the group.



"I do believe your Aunt Anna is just arriving and should grace us with her presence at last," remarked Professor Dumbledore, smiling at Neville. "Have you told everyone all about her?"



"Not all. It's rather difficult to describe her in a few words," Neville grinned, "possibly quite a few words, come to that."



"Well, it shouldn't be long. I believe I hear her coming up the drive." Dumbledore glanced toward an open window.



Hearing a low rumbling, the group ran over and tried to see down into the courtyard below, from which the noise now seemed to be emanating. They couldn't quite make out anything, except the headlight beam of what was obviously a motorcycle and a big one, judging by the sound. Then the light went out and the engine was turned off. Silence descended.




Sign up to rate and review this story