Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Welcome to my world

by ilex 2 reviews

Anna is introduced to the students and Neville gets one over on Draco, with the help of the rest of Gryffindor House.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-21 - Updated: 2006-09-21 - 3462 words

2Original



Chapter 6



Welcome to my world





In the sixth year boys' dormitory room in Gryffindor Tower, Neville was brushing his hair in front of a mirror hanging over his bedside table. Satisfied, he headed for the door just as the others started to stir.



"You're up extra early, Neville," said Dean Thomas, as he sat up and stretched.



"I'm going to escort my Aunt Anna to breakfast this morning," Neville explained proudly.



"Who? What did you say?" Seamus Finnigan leaned on his elbow and peered around the bed post at Neville.



"Well .. " Neville started to explain.



"Neville, you go on or you'll both be late! Harry and I will tell them all about her!" Ron laughed and shooed Neville out of the door.



"Right .. thanks Ron!" Neville headed down the stairs toward the common room.



"Who's Aunt Anna?" Dean asked Ron.



"Neville's godmother, Professor Anastasia Twigg-Jones, is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," Ron said, pulling off his pajama top. "She got here late last night."



"She's a stunner and way cool, but here's the best bit. She went here at the same time as my parents, so she knows Snape," Harry continued the story, "and last night..."



"It was fantastic! Reminded me of the time Hermione clocked Draco!" Ron interjected, grinning.



"Yeah, it did, didn't it?" Harry agreed, laughing at the thought.



Seamus glanced back and forth between them, puzzled. "What are you two on about?"



"Not long after you left," Ron proceeded to recount the previous night's events, "Professor Twigg-Jones arrived and a few minutes later Snape showed up and she hauled off and slapped him, /HARD/, and then pulled her wand, quick as a flash, and almost blasted him. It is etched in my brain forever," Ron added as he fell back on his bed, savoring the memory.



"/Seriously/? Wow!" exclaimed Seamus.



"Cool! But, why'd she do that? What did Snape ever do to her?" Dean questioned them, after exchanging shocked looks with Seamus.



"Don't know. But they've both agreed to bury the hatchet for now, I guess. It was weird. One minute - BOOM! - then she hugged him. I tell you, I was gob-smacked, mate!" Ron shook his head.



"She actually slapped him, right in front of you? Blimey! I'd give a hand full of Galleons to have seen that!" Seamus exclaimed.



"If Dumbledore hadn't been there, though, it would have been /worse/, because Snape was livid!" Harry informed them. "The Headmaster calmed both of them down and then they said 'truce'."



Ron stopped, his sock halfway on his foot. "We should show our appreciation for her excellent aim."



"And choice of target!" Harry added, and they all laughed.



"I've got it!" Dean swiveled around, looking at each in turn. "Let's give her a standing ovation when she walks into breakfast with Neville!"



Seamus jumped up. "Yeah, we'll know why, but no-one else will, except Snape. Everyone will think we're applauding for Neville."



"Quick, get dressed!" Harry exclaimed. "Let's get all of Gryffindor in on this. The whole table can be applauding!"



They dressed with furious speed and ran to the common room to spread the word.



X # X # X



"Aunt Anna?" Neville poked his head around the edge of the door of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. "Aunt Anna, are you awake?"



Dobby popped up out of a box, draped with packing straw, which was hanging from his ears like bunches of Spanish moss.



"Blimey!" Neville jumped back a step. "Oh, Dobby, you gave me a start. Is my Aunt Anna awake, do you know?"



"Oh yes, Neville Longbottom sir, she is getting ready to go to breakfast." Dobby nodded as he levitated a multi-colored globe onto its stand on a nearby shelf. "I is doing the unpacking and Doctor Jones and I is deciding where everything is going."



"Doctor Jones - sorry - Dobby, did you say Doctor Jones?"



"Hello Neville!"



Jumping and spinning at the same time, Neville gasped at the sight of Doctor Jones sitting in his armchair with paper and pencil in hand.



"Packing list," Christopher informed him, merrily waving the paper.



"Uncle Christopher? How .. when .. I mean; you're a Muggle, no offence, but," stammered Neville.



"How'd I get to be here, hanging around, if you'll pardon the pun?"



"Well, yes."



"It does help if your wife's a witch, my lad." Christopher winked at him.



"But you weren't here last night, were you?"



"As a matter of fact, I was, but still wrapped up in brown paper. I did hear everything, though. I was just 'elevated' to my new position this morning."



Looking around at Dobby, Neville took a step closer to Christopher's portrait. "Even Aunt Anna slapping Professor Snape?" he asked in a low voice.



"You bet. She packs quite a wallop, our Anna. Well, all's forgiven, I take it. Onwards and upwards, what? By the way, how's your Grandmother, Neville?"



"Same as always, Uncle Christopher. She never changes, you know that," answered Neville, smiling and shrugging his shoulders.



"So I've noticed. Speaking of noticing, I need to get your personal opinion of your parents' conditions, Neville. Since you only see them on holiday, you could see changes in their behavior more acutely than anyone who sees them on a regular basis, such as the ward matron." Doctor Jones leaned forward. "Did they seem more aware of who you were? Did they react differently this last visit then at the beginning of your summer holiday? You see, I'm still keeping track of their therapy even though I can't treat them myself." He put down the packing list and turned, waiting for Neville's answer.



"To tell you the truth," answered Neville, furrowing his brow, "Mum did seem a bit more focused this last time, had a bit more attention span when I talked to her. She even started to say something but then her mind wandered off again, like it does.



"But I was really pleased with Dad's progress." Neville smiled up at his Uncle. "He actually looked up at me when I said 'Hello' and seemed to have a spark of recognition in his eyes and he /smiled/! Then, he drifted off again, too. But that's a good thing, isn't it? He never used to show any sign of even hearing me, much less reacting to me before." Neville looked up hopefully.



"Yes, Neville, that's very good for your Father. Your Mother's progress is a bit more advanced than his because she was not tortured quite as long as he was. Frank fought very hard, from what we've been told. It almost killed him.



"But .. even little steps are good ones, Neville. Between Anna and Remus and I, we'll keep the therapy moving ahead in spite of your Gran's objections. Alas, Anna will only be able to visit with them on weekends, when she can pop down to London. Hopefully, at least twice a month, so their progress will slow up a bit." Christopher sat back in his chair and tossed the pencil he was holding onto his desk.



"Thanks, Uncle Christopher, it means a lot to me. I used to feel sorry for myself, about my parents not recognizing me and all. Then I met Harry and he barely even remembers his parents. So, I stopped being a prat and now with this new therapy, I'm feeling positively, well, /positive/. Maybe one day my folks will really be fully aware of the whole world around them; who I am and who they are and we can be a family again."



"Let's keep those good thoughts in mind, shall we. It's our hope, too," agreed Doctor Jones.



"Neville? Is that you?" called Professor Twigg-Jones.



"Yes! I've come to escort you down to breakfast. Don't rush, though," he added, checking his watch, "we've got a little time yet."



"Be there in a shake, dear."



X # X # X



Walking around the classroom, Neville noticed a decidedly feminine touch with the addition of his Aunt's personal possessions and Auror equipment. Lots of candles in crystal holders, books - lots and lots of books - lined the shelves at the sides of the room. Auror instruments and quirky little gadgets were displayed in tall cases and on the teacher's desk...a gun.



"Don't touch that, Neville," Doctor Jones warned, seeing where Neville's gaze was leading him. "It is real and it is loaded.



"Why does Aunt Anna have a Muggle gun?" Neville stopped short of the desk, gazing down at the black revolver.



"My idea, actually, for her personal safely. No one in the Wizarding world would expect such a thing. I insisted she carry it with her always, even here at Hogwarts. Got the idea from a favorite old movie of mine; the element of surprise. 'When all else fails, just shoot the dumb son-of-a' .. "



"/CHRISTOPHER/!" Professor Twigg-Jones was standing in the door of her chambers.



"Sorry, Anna .. my, don't you look smashing! Eh, Neville?"



"Gosh, you look great!" Neville watched her descend the stairs, wearing a dark purple, black lace edged, deeply scoop-necked gown, her hair in a long French braid hanging down her back.



"I figure as long as I missed last night's big feast, I'd better make a big entrance this morning. Seriously, do you like it?" Swirling around to show off the whole outfit, she looked to them for their opinion.



"Yeah!" Neville nodded his head. "The girls will be jealous and the fellows gob-smacked."



"Neville's right about that, my dear," Christopher agreed.



"Oh, good, then I won't change again. I've had on four different gowns, trying to decide!"



Anna picked up the gun, opened a metal box sitting on the desk, put the gun in it, locked the box with a key, pulled out a desk drawer and putting the box in, bumped the drawer closed with her hip. Then she deposited the key down her cleavage. Neville blushed and ducked his head, grinning. Doctor Jones roared with laughter. Ignoring both of them, she turned toward the still busy house elf, who was emerging from yet another large box.



"Dobby, what a good job you've done. Everything looks to be in just the right spot. Are you almost at the end?"



"Yes, Miss. A few things in this box," the house elf answered, patting the edge, "and Dobby is finished."



"Excellent! Thank you so much for all of your help." She bent over and planted a kiss on the top of Dobby's bald head. He blushed crimson to the ends of his ears.



"Ah-hem!" Doctor Jones coughed, none too quietly.



"Oh .. yes, you too, dear. I'm sure it was a collaborative effort."



"Too right!" Doctor Jones sniffed haughtily, then chuckled and shook his head.



"Well," Anna announced as she headed for the door, "we're off!" Picking up her black academic robe and folding it over her arm, she waved. "See you later, Christopher. Come, Neville, my dear."



"'Bye, Uncle Christopher, see you later."



"Have fun, you two. And Anna, don't slap anyone...at least not till after breakfast!" chided her husband, smiling.



"Shut it, you!" she growled but blew him a kiss. He laughed and waved.



X # X # X



The Great Hall was rapidly filling with students as Professor Twigg-Jones and Neville came down the staircase. At the bottom she stopped and turned to straighten Neville's tie.



"Our grand entrance, my boy, we must look our best. Chin up, smile and remember we're the best looking couple walking through that doorway."



"We're the only couple," Neville hissed out of the side of his mouth, offering her his arm.



"Details, details. Let's do it!"



Putting her hand through his arm, they took a deep breath and walked through the open doors. Instantly there was silence...then the Gryffindor table exploded with cheers and applause as all the members of the House jumped to their feet. The other House tables wondered what was going on as Neville and his Aunt advanced down the aisle between the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables. As they approached the D.A. members in the middle, she and Neville stopped. Professor Twigg-Jones signaled for all to sit down.



"Good morning, everybody."



"Good morning, Professor Twigg-Jones!" they chorused back at her, grinning.



"Well, Neville, I believe I can toddle on from here." She gave him a kiss on the cheek, turned and started walking to the head table.



As Neville moved to sit down, Draco Malfoy leaned across the aisle to hiss, "Dating older women now, Longbottom? None of the girls here at Hogwarts give you second look, eh?"



Without missing a stride, Professor Twigg-Jones flipped around and retraced the seven or eight steps she'd taken and stopped in front of Malfoy.



Leaning over so her face was level with his, giving him a jaw dropping view of her cleavage, she smiled sweetly and purred, "It's even better than that, little boy. I'm his godmother!" Placing one long-nailed, elegantly bejeweled finger under his chin, she gently pushed up to close his gaping mouth. "Careful, dear, you'll swallow a fly."



Straightening up, she twirled around to face the Gryffindor table and then patted Neville's cheek.



As she walked away, Neville leaned over to Malfoy, and with a wide grin announced, "Welcome to my world, Draco, old man! He! He! He! He!" He sat down at his place to much applause and laughter from his friends.



X # X # X



Dumbledore stood, clapped his hands and breakfast appeared on the tables. "Dig in!" He then proceeded around to the end of the staff table to meet and greet Professor Twigg-Jones.



"Good morning, Professor, you look ravishing."



"Thank you. That was just the effect I was trying to achieve."



Dumbledore chuckled. "Did you sleep well?"



Glancing up quickly, she saw the twinkle in his eyes and realized he knew all about last night and Severus.



"I had a very good night. Thank you for asking."



"Let me make a few quick introductions on the way to our seats." He turned to the staff members at the end of the table.



X # X # X



"Wonder what's going to happen when they get to Snape?" whispered Ginny.



"Nothing unusual, probably. Polite handshake is my bet," Hermione whispered back. "Let's watch and see."



X # X # X



Professor Flitwick climbed down off of his chair and Professor Twigg-Jones knelt down to give him a big hug.



"You'll be sitting next to me, my dear."



"Oh, excellent. Let me just drop off my robe and I'll be back in a flash, you charming little devil." She tickled him under his chin and then stood.



"Still a flirt, aren't you?" He blushed.



"Shameless, I assure you!" she replied.



"And you remember Professor Snape," Dumbledore intoned as Snape rose from his seat and turned his back to the students to greet her.



Dropping her robe over the back of her chair, she regarded him. Gone was the smile, her face was a blank, unreadable countenance.



"Of course .. Severus."



She extended her hand. He took it and gave it a squeeze, but not letting go immediately, ran his thumb along the side, which sent chills down her spine. She shivered slightly.



Seeing her reaction he smirked. "Anastasia, you're looking well. It's been a long time," he replied, finally letting go of her hand.



"Seems like ages."



He turned abruptly and sat but she remained rooted to the spot, staring at him for a moment longer, then a slight smile turned up the corners of her mouth.



X # X # X



"Did you see Snape? Not much of a greeting!" Ron hissed to Hermione.



"No, he was just being himself and she realizes that," she shot back. "Pass me the syrup, please."



X # X # X



Turning to follow Dumbledore, Professor Twigg-Jones broke into a wide grin and literally ran into Professor McGonagall's arms.



"Anna!"



"Minerva!"



"Welcome back to Hogwarts. It looks like you spent /hours /getting ready for that grand entrance of yours and Mr. Longbottom's."



"One hour, tops, I swear! And if Neville hadn't shown up I'd have been late again."



"Consistency is one of your stronger habits...you are /always /late!" Professor McGonagall laughed.



"I'm showing some improvement. I had a legitimate excuse for not getting here on time last night. I spent the entire morning at St. Mungo's with Frank and Alice. I knew I'd miss the train so I asked Remus to deliver my mountain of luggage to the Hogwarts Express. Frank and Alice came first yesterday but today, Hogwarts ranks number one."



"I'm sure this is going to be an outstanding year with you here helping us," Professor McGonagall predicted with a smile.



"I want to talk to you about last year, though, sometime, Minerva. The Weasley twins gave me a brief rundown when I was in their shop in Diagon Alley, but I'd prefer to hear an unvarnished version."



"I doubt my version will be any less lurid, Anna. We'll get around to it as soon as the school settles down into its routines."



Both grinned and hugged again and then Professor Twigg-Jones and Dumbledore continued down the table.



X # X # X



"Good friends with old McGonagall, isn't she," Ron said quietly, as he turned back to his plate, after watching their progress along the staff table. "And why are we whispering?"



"So the Slytherins won't overhear all we know about her; keeps them in the dark as long as possible. This is wonderful; Malfoy's still blushing!" Hermione giggled.



They all looked around at him and broke into laughter again. He glared back at them.



X # X # X



Returning to her seat, Professor Twigg-Jones started to fill her plate. She engaged Professor Flitwick in conversation, pointedly ignoring Snape.



"Excuse me, Professor Twigg-Jones. Could you pass me the salt cellar?" Snape hissed at her.



"What? Oh, yes, certainly, Professor Snape." She picked up the salt and held it out to him without turning, continuing to talk with Professor Flitwick.



"The pepper mill, also."



"Excuse me a moment, Filius," she said, before she grabbed requested pepper mill and turned toward Snape.



"Here!" Anna shoved it into his outstretched hand. "Anything /else/, Severus?"



"You met our young Mister Malfoy, I observed."



"I thought as much; he looks just like his father. A decidedly nasty piece of work."



"Lucius or Draco?"



She tilted her head and looking into his black eyes, fought the impulse to smile. "Yes."



"Ditto," he growled before turning away from her.



Professor Twigg-Jones turned and looked straight down the Slytherin table to find Draco Malfoy staring at her. She gave him the smallest of smiles and a nod before she turned back to Professor Flitwick.



"Sorry for the interruption. Now, where were we?"



X # X # X



As the schedules were being passed out, Dumbledore stood and the students quieted down.



"I have just two announcements. First: you may have noticed the arrival of our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Anastasia Twigg-Jones. She is a fully qualified Auror and was involved in the events with Voldemort some fifteen years ago. She is also a certified Healer and has studied Muggle medicine as well."



Some mumbling greeted that information.



"Before his untimely death, her husband, Doctor Christopher Jones and Professor Twigg-Jones had been working on cross referencing magical potions and cures with medical drugs and treatments. A work that is on-going at St Mungo's. She has also consented to serve as faculty advisor for the Defense Association."



Widespread applause greeted that bit of news, except from the Slytherin table, of course.



"Second; you will notice, on your way in and out of the castle, a rather outstanding example of a Muggle motorcycle residing in the courtyard. This belongs to Professor Twigg-Jones and she assures me it is tame and quite used to being admired. Feel free to pet it or touch it, but, please DO NOT sit on it if she is not present, you haven't been formally introduced or have been not given previous permission to do so. /You have been warned/."



That statement started a buzz.



"Time you are off to class...Chop, Chop!"



X # X # X



The students stood and started to file out of the Great Hall. Professor Twigg-Jones took her robe from the back of her chair. Snape walked around her and out the side door. It was Professor Dumbledore who held it for her, helping her get her arm in and straightening it on her shoulders. She beamed at him, waved to Professor McGonagall and started to walk out with Professor Flitwick.



As they walked along, she heard bits and pieces of the students whispered questions: "Her husband was a Muggle doctor?" "She fought Voldemort?" "What did she say to Malfoy, do you suppose?"



She smiled at the Gryffindors as she passed. Behind her, Draco and the rest of the Slytherins just glared at her and stalked silently out of the doors.










Sign up to rate and review this story