Categories > Original > Mystery > Father

Father

by Tamurai 0 reviews

Zeke's father has committed suicide but Zeke knows nothing of his father. In desperation, Zeke aproaches on of his fathers worker's and asks him what his father was like. But the problem is Zeke wa...

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-09-22 - Updated: 2006-09-22 - 702 words - Complete

-1Boring



"Tell me something. One thing about him is all I need. Just tell me because I need to know. I need to know what my father was like."

The statement was obvious. Tell the young man with short black hair, brown eyes, slightly masculine build, and wearing a neat black suit, sitting in front of him what his father was like. The question, well no demand, was an easy one to comply to, but being stubborn, the middle-aged, fat, and balding man named Jerry kept quiet.

"Please," The young man's voice was pleading now. "I never got to know my father. He was always away at work and when he was home, he was sleeping."

"Why should I tell you about your father?" Jerry curtly replied. "I don't even know your name."

"My name is Zeke and my father was your boss. Now I ask you Jerry just answer one simple thing, what was my father like?"

Jerry grunted in annoyance. Why was this man pestering him with such a question? It was, after all, Zeke's own fault for never trying to bond with his father.

"Go annoy another person who worked with you father and leave me to my work." Jerry said to Zeke. "I don't want to answer your question. It's your own fault for never trying to get to know your father."

Zeke stood up from the over-stuffed chair and glared at Jerry. "It was a simple question Jerry. You could have just said he was a good man or he was a procrastinator or even said that he hated you're your guts and you're glad that he's dead," Zeke's eyes began to fill with tears. "But you won't even answer that.

"My father died six days ago from a bullet to the head from his own shotgun, he worked here for thirty-six years, he was the CEO of this company, he wasn't at the hospital for my birth, and he took me to school once, during which we never talked. There, that's it. That's all I know about my father. I don't know where he was born, where he went to college, where he met my mom, when they got married, his birthday, or his personality for that matter." Jerry remained silent. Zeke quickly wiped his eyes and began to walk out the door. "Thank you Jerry for sparing me some of your time."

Jerry watched as the young man walked out the door. "Wait Zach or Zeke or whatever your name is. I can tell you this about your father. He was a great man. He worked hard and loved his job. He treated his workers with more respect and dignity than he probably ever showed you. He was a kind and generous man and I loved working everyday with him."

"Thank you Jerry." Zeke turned and smiled at Jerry. "That's all I wanted to know."

Zeke left the room. A few minutes later Jerry's secretary walked in holding a cup of coffee.

"Here you go sir." Said the secretary sweetly.

"Thank you Marcia." The secretary nodded and began to leave. "Marcia, may I ask you a question?"

"Yes."

"Robert had a son didn't he?"

"You mean your boss that died a few days ago?" Jerry nodded his head. "Yes, he did have a son."

"His name was Zeke right?"

"Yes sir."

"And Zeke died a few weeks ago in a car accident didn't he?"

The secretary stood there a moment looking at Jerry. "Yes, I believe he did. I also think that his son's death was the reason why your boss committed suicide. Why did you want to know?"

Jerry turned his chair around and looked at the New York City landscape. Jerry smiled to himself. For the first time in his life he had done a good deed. "No reason, Marcia, no reason at all."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Erm................Okay? Not okay? Hope it was okay?

I know it was a little weird but I thought it was kinda interesting when I thought about it but I guess that doesn't depend on me me, it depends on you the reader.

I hoped you enjoyed. Please review because I wanna know if it was okay or not. Thanx
Sign up to rate and review this story