Categories > TV > Kyle XY > The Kyle XY and Amanda Chronicles, Part 1: Chapter 1

Chapter 1- Dance

by wcnsoup 2 reviews

Kyle has discovered dancing, and Amanda, the love of his life, is there to help him along. But the love he has for her may go too far...

Category: Kyle XY - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance, Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-08-20 - Updated: 2006-08-21 - 1990 words

0Predictable
The Kyle XY and Amanda Chronicles

Part 1


Chapter 1- Dance

Amanda. She ran through my mind the majority of each day, every week. Her face flooded my dreams, making sleep the most enjoyable part of my (memorable) life. But there was one factor that concerned my conscious when she raced in my brain: Charlie.
"Kyle...Kyle, are you with us?"
Awakening from my daydream, I was quick enough to catch the basketball Charlie hurtled at me. I came back into focus and studied the hoop and the variables that would affect my shot. Charlie and I were shooting hoops together outside of the Trager's house. It was nice to have a friend to hang out with and talk to. The only other person I knew relative in age with me was Lori, and she always seemed to be worried about how much time she had for everything.
Once I calculated my throw, I thrust my arms forward with just the right strength and speed, and the accurate direction. The ball passed through the net with a satisfying swish and bounced down the driveway until it was reduced to a roll, and chose its point of rest at my toes.
"Not bad, Kyle!" Charlie announced. He gave me a grin of approval. I diverted my eyes back to the ball and gazed at it without a response to Charlie's compliment. I soon realized I was being impolite, so I returned his smile. I didn't want him to see through me and find out that something was bothering me, though it wasn't such a big deal. I couldn't let him know anyhow.
Charlie was a great friend. He was nice, trustworthy, and an all-around good guy. I was lucky to have him as a companion. Yet I couldn't suppress what Declan had told me while we were at UW, that I should just take what I want. The only thing I wanted was Amanda. But Charlie was with her, and he was too great of a person to hurt. I knew I could have her, even though that was hurting me.
We finished up our 1-on-1 game with a final score of 41 to 29, my lead. He gave me a sort of handshake/hug, which I figured was a friendship greeting. He showed me one last smile and a sharp nod of the head. I mimicked his gesture and he turned around and walked away. It felt good inside, finally to be recognized as just an ordinary friend to hang out with.
*
At approximately 9:36 pm that night, I sat alone in my room on the edge of my bathtub. All the Trager's had already went their separate ways, each into their own room. My eyes strained to scan the contents of my room, for I had never turned the lights on. I noticed the pictures I had drawn tacked onto the bulletin board, all arranged so that the symbol was created. My eyes locked on the symbol, and suddenly thoughts swarmed my mind. My curiosity went wild: what is this symbol? How do I know it? Where did it come from? Where did I come from? Who am I?
A sensation of panic blanketed my curiosity. I need to get my mind off of this. I have to relax. I tore my eyes away and stood up on my wobbling legs. I walked as fast as I could out of my room, out of the hallway, and out of the house with long, uneasy steps. Once I took a long, deep breath of the dusk air, my mind eased a bit.
The farther I walked down the sidewalk, the better I felt. Once I came back to my senses, I became sensitive to my surroundings. I had reached the end of the block. I shifted my whole body around in the opposite direction and headed back. Absorbing all the sights and sounds of the neighborhood surprisingly refreshed my painful thoughts. I could hear crickets chirping in every shrub, cleverly hidden so only their sound gave away their presence. The only lights left on this suburban road were the street lamps, the moon, and the stars. I could feel the heat escaping from the pavement and the air getting more dense with the rising heat. My foster home came into sight, but all the lights had been shut off. I estimated the time to be about 10:45. But before I reached the driveway, I heard a faint sound. I searched for its origin in the calm neighborhood, and I noticed that a light was coming from the upstairs window of the neighbors' house: Amanda's room.
I heard rhythm and changes of tone that portrayed an upbeat emotion. Music? It had to be music, but it was very different from the music I heard Amanda play on her piano. This music had words with it which changed tone with the music, but the music didn't tell a story. Instead, the words did. Yet I could feel the music change my mood into happiness.
My happiness transformed into pure delight when I saw Amanda's profile glide into view behind the opaque curtain on her window. She must have seen me, because her elegant stride became a clumsy stumble.
"Kyle?" she said bewildered as she pulled back the curtains. She squinted into the darkness at me until she was sure her guess was correct. Her expression relaxed and she smiled with relief. "It is you. You startled me," she said, still smiling, "What are you doing out there?"
My face grew warm. "I was taking a walk."
"At 11 o'clock?"
"I couldn't sleep."
"Having trouble sleeping again?" She grinned with amusement, remembering the time when she found me wandering down the sidewalk, and I had used the same excuse then as I did now: can't sleep.
She giggled at my silent stare. I was still entranced with her beauty. "Do you wanna come up? I was just listening to some music."
Her offer matched what my heart craved. And possibly my body, too. I discovered once again that I was forgetting to speak. I nervously sputtered out, "O-okay."
"Cool. I'll be right down. Oh, and try to keep your voice down when you come in. I don't want to wake my parents."
I remained speechless, but I grinned so she knew I understood. Once she disappeared behind the curtains, I rushed up to her front door. After what felt like hours, my anticipation ended when the front door swung open and she emerged. My whole body tingled with the sight of her: her hair, her face, her clothes, her body... it felt amazing just too be in her presence. Maybe too good.
I shut off my mind before it was too late, and I managed to control it. Grapefruit. Grapefruit.
"So... do you want to come in?" She startled me out of my trance.
"Uh, yeah, sure." I couldn't control all of my body language. The corners of my mouth tightened into a smile.
She led me into her house, up the stairs, and into her room. Posters of unfamiliar people covered her hot-pink walls. Photos of other people that looked a little less glamorous than the posters lined the edges of her mirror. Her bed had a bedspread covered with patches of pink, purple, and aqua blue.
"Charlie's gonna be here in about 15 minutes or so," she announced, but immediately after she said it, I could see the regret and guilt on her face for talking about her and Charlie in front of me. She knew I liked her. We were both embarrassed that she knew. I don't know if Charlie or Declan or Lori told her, or maybe she just figured it out on her own.
"Where are you going with him?" I interrogated her. I felt bad for doing so, but I needed to know for some reason.
"Oh...um, nowhere. We were going to... hang out here."
Now I knew why I wanted to know. It was jealousy. I wanted her so bad, and I couldn't stand the thought of her being in someone else's arms.
"Do you like the music?" she said, trying to change the subject.
"I've never heard anything like it."
"I know, it's a lot different than my piano music. It's a lot easier to dance to."
Dance. Moving rhythmically to music. I understood what the definition was from the encyclopedia, yet I didn't understand what it meant for you to do.
"you don't know how to dance, do you?" She read my mind. I shrugged my shoulders. "It's not hard. You just...move."
Her body spun and bounced with the exciting music. I felt embarrassed, but her movement captured my full attention. "C'mon! just do what I do."
I concentrated on the rhythm and emotion of the song. Soon, my heartbeat was matched to the beat of the song, and I bobbed up and down like her. She grinned with satisfaction, happy I figured out the dance. I grinned, too, but for a different reason. I was having fun.
I couldn't stop. I laughed and she laughed as we jumped up and down to the speedy, tantalizing music. As the song came to a halt, a new song followed. I was out of breath and I couldn't take the smile off my face. Soon I felt the new song come into me. This one was slower and gave me more of a sad, longing sensation. It made me feel like I was missing something. I once again hopped up and down, but it felt awkward.
"You're supposed to dance a little differently to this kind of song."
"Could you show me?"
She looked a little concerned at first, but then quickly she changed her mood into eagerness. "Sure, Kyle. I'd love to."
She directed me to put one arm around her waist and the other on her shoulder. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach that Mrs. Trager was talking about. She placed her hand on my hip and the other on my shoulder. My whole body tensed and tingled. She led me along with her swaying motion. And every so often, she or I would draw our body a little closer to the other's. my arm that was on her shoulder moved to her waist along with my other arm, and her arms were now wrapped around my neck. My heart was racing. I was anxious and exhilarated. My body was warm all over. Once our eyes met and locked, lust got the best of me, and I made the stupidest mistake of my life. I kissed her.
"Hey, Amanda, the door was open, so I-"Charlie's sentence was cut short by the shock he got from the sight of our kiss. Amanda let go of me and bounded backwards. Charlie's surprised look melted into anger. When I looked up at him, his eyes were smoldering back at mine.
"Charlie," was all Amanda could say, for she was in as much shock as Charlie, partially because of the kiss, and partially because Charlie had witnessed it.
When Charlie tore his eyes away from mine, he stormed out of the door frame and left. When I looked back at Amanda, I could see the anguish in her eyes. When she looked at me, I could see her eyes red with tears. It felt like a knife had been driven through my heart. Before she could speak, I ran. "Kyle!" she called out with a raspy tone from her swollen throat. She was going to tell me it's ok, it wasn't my fault, but I knew that wasn't true. I ruined Amanda's, Charlie's, and my own life because I ruined my chance ever being with her. So I kept running, back to my house, back to my room, and back into my bed, where I forced myself to sleep a long, uncomfortable sleep.


To be continued in the next chapter, "Crash."
Sign up to rate and review this story