Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Mixing Business With Pleasure

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

Dinner with the Headmistress.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-24 - 2636 words - Complete

2Exciting
When Minerva arrived to escort Zelda and Severus to her office for dinner she was met by a perfectly correct magical couple. Severus had resumed his usual clothing for the occasion, and at first glance he seemed his old, remote self. Zelda wore her emerald green, vintage robes that made her eyes appear bluer than ever, and looked a serene and correct match for her severe lover.

"Good evening, I see that you are ready. Excellent," Minerva said with a smile. "You look very magical, Zelda. I am impressed with the results of your shopping trip. Perhaps you should become a fashion consultant for Witch Weekly in your spare time. You have a knack for dressing amusingly."

"If you're trying to make me laugh, I'm determined not to, Minerva," said Zelda haughtily. "My new robes are worthy of more dignity than that." The effect was somewhat spoiled by her mischievously twinkling eyes.

"If you are ready, my dear Zelda," Severus said correctly, holding his arm out to her, his own lips twitching.

They followed Minerva out of the room as though they were attending a formal occasion. They were quite impressive together in this mood, but she wondered cynically how long Zelda would be able to keep it up.

It did not take long for the tone to change once they arrived in her office. As they entered her office there was a muttering among the portraits, hastily silenced, but it was enough to make Zelda stop and blow a kiss toward Phineas Nigellus. Severus glanced toward Minerva, a look of inquiry on his face.

"Headmistress, must I suffer impertinence from this... this Muggle?" said Phineas Nigellus, looking outraged.

"You know you love it, big guy," Zelda said with a winning smile. "Now remember that you're 'Nature's Nobility' and behave yourself, or you'll find yourself in the National Portrait Gallery, where you can chat with Muggles all day long. I'll credit you with the invention of... how about aphrodisiac bubble gum? We'll call you the genius that put the 'blow' in blowjob. You'll be real popular, Headmaster."

Phineas Nigellus curled his lip nastily, but finding no support from anyone, he stalked out of his portrait in disgust.

Minerva chuckled. "Zelda, I would like you to visit me frequently simply to watch you banter with Phineas, but dinner is ready. Please come and sit down."

Severus had watched fascinated as his beloved insulted the late Headmaster Black. "Merlin's beard, my girl. Your impudence is impressive. Do you kiss your children with those lips?" he asked cynically, as they sat down to dinner.

She grinned at him. "Not only my children, dear boy," she said cheerfully. "Minerva, everything looks perfect."

"Thank you, Zelda. I must say that I enjoy skipping dinner in the Great Hall occasionally. Having you and Severus here allows me to combine business with pleasure," Minerva replied graciously, beginning to pass food to them.

While they were speaking, Severus had turned to gaze cautiously at the newest portrait on the wall. The last time that he had been in this office Albus Dumbledore had appeared to be sleeping, but now the portrait Dumbledore was awake, and Severus received a wink and a friendly smile. He felt a lump rise in his throat, and with an effort turned his attention back to Minerva and Zelda.

"Harry Potter will be here again tomorrow morning," Minerva was saying. "I did not tell him that Severus is still here, but he is eager to see you, Zelda. Severus, you may decide whether you'll see him."

"I hope he's practiced his Occlumency, but I'd still rather not give him more memories of Severus to conceal, Minerva," Zelda said.

"If he has not practiced his Occlumency, he had better not see you, Zelda," Severus said irritably. "I detest the idea of three students carrying around memories of you in their foolish heads."

"Severus..." replied Zelda, a faint chiding note in her voice, "Harry has to do his 'Chosen One' routine. You've done what you can to prepare him and you must trust him now."

Their eyes met, and seeing the worried expression in his black eyes, she smiled comfortingly. Zelda knew by now that he was too ready to carry the weight of his entire, ungrateful world on his thin shoulders. "It'd be easier to do it all yourself, wouldn't it?" she said gently.

Minerva watched their interchange in silence. There was much she did not know about Severus Snape, but Albus Dumbledore had known him far better. This passion to succeed at their goal must be why he had always defended Severus against criticism and confided so deeply in him. She glanced at Dumbledore's portrait and saw him watching Severus and Zelda closely. He saw her looking at him and nodded approvingly to her before he closed his eyes and leaned back as if going to sleep.

Severus forced his thoughts away from what he could not change and asked Minerva, "Is there any news of the Order? Has anyone learned the whereabouts of the Death Eaters? They should be monitored as much as possible."

"Molly told me that Alastor is attempting to track the Lestranges, but he gave her no more information than that," Minerva said. "Lupin is still maintaining his contact with the werewolves... what is it?" she asked.

"I cannot imagine there is much to be accomplished there, unless he wishes to join them in their revels," Severus snapped. "I daresay Professor Dumbledore had his reasons for suggesting that role to him, however."

Zelda listened in silence to this interchange. She knew how much reason Severus had to despise Remus Lupin. She wondered if werewolves were to be feared as greatly as Muggle legends suggested.

"There is other news about Remus Lupin," Minerva said. "On a lighter note, to be precise. He and Nymphadora Tonks seem to have fallen in love."

"Really?" replied Severus at his most expressionless. "How, erm... nice for them."

"Who's Nymphadora Tonks?" asked Zelda hastily, attempting to cover for her beloved's odd reaction to that bit of news.

"As a matter of fact, she is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the coming school year," Minerva said doubtfully. "She's very young, but she is an Auror, so I believe she must be capable. In fact it was Severus who suggested that I offer her the job."

"I am happy to hear that you are resolving your staffing crisis," Severus said evenly. "Have you filled the other vacancies?"

Minerva sighed, putting down her fork disconsolately. "I must not give in to discouragement," she said, "I have people in mind for the other vacancies, but I have not yet found a Transfiguration teacher. I had considered teaching for the first term, but it is not possible. I will be reduced to hiring someone who is marginally qualified to teach the lower classes, I suppose, and continue to teach N.E.W.T. levels myself."

"What are the qualifications needed to teach at Hogwarts?" Zelda asked.

"At this point, it seems that a wand and a pulse are the only essentials," snapped Severus nastily.

"It is true that since Death Eaters gained access to the school, there are far fewer applicants for staff positions," Minerva said. "Although the Ministry Aurors have inspected repeatedly, and the Vanishing cabinet that allowed access has been removed."

"Is it feasible for you to teach the higher level classes, Minerva? Will you be able to teach as well as running the school?" Zelda asked intently.

"Certainly, at least for the first term, but why?" Minerva asked curiously.

"How's Molly at Transfiguration?" Zelda asked casually.

"Why, I think... I believe she is very good. She passed her N.E.W.T. examination splendidly, I remember it well," Minerva said, casting back in her mind to Molly Prewitt's very competent performance. "Do you think she might consider teaching?"

"It's just an idea, you'd have to ask her," Zelda said. "But it would give her a reason to be here quite a lot, and since Ginny seems pretty well grown up, I think she has more time on her hands than she's had before."

"Traditionally the staff has been evenly staffed by wizards and witches," Minerva said in a worried voice. "With Albus gone, and you gone, Severus, and the addition of Nymphadora and possibly Molly, the balance is destroyed. At this point, however, I must find competent teachers, and hope that over time things will even out."

"Will it be a problem if she doesn't live here at the school during your term?" Zelda asked, a practical glint in her eye. "I can't imagine her leaving her husband for the entire term."

"She may choose between staying at the Burrow, or she and Arthur may stay at Hogwarts together," Minerva said. "We have no married staff members currently, but in the past we have accommodated married people."

"I wonder how happy Ginny Weasley would be to have her mother on staff," Zelda mused. "She seems to be a, um... lively girl."

"She will not be happy at all, I imagine," said Minerva shrewdly, "however, if she chooses to continue in Transfiguration, I will continue to teach her, so I see no problem."

Zelda smiled skeptically, and finished her last bite of pie. "I really didn't have a chance to properly appreciate this wonderful meal," she said, "and that's a shame. I need more exercise, or as I was telling Severus, I'll start to resemble Professor Slughorn."

"Your trip to the dungeons was not adequate?" Minerva asked with a glint in her eye. "It seems you were busy enough collecting Severus's clothing. What did you think?"

"Oh! I meant to ask you, Sev," Zelda said, startling him out of his silent state, "Is it smart to keep a jar of yummy treats on one's desk in the Potions classroom?"

"Completely idiotic, dear girl, but if someone decides to poison him, it will not be my problem," he replied cynically. "In fairness to Horace Slughorn, however, he undoubtedly has the world's finest collection of antidotes to every known poison. Self preservation is his highest goal."

"Anyway, Minerva, to answer your question, I had a lovely time," Zelda said with a radiant smile. "The dungeons are exquisite.

"You are incorrigible, Zelda," Minerva chuckled. "Let us sit by the fireplace to have our coffee," she said, leading them to a comfortable seating arrangement.

Severus seated himself next to Zelda on a love seat, but their behavior was exemplary, Minerva thought. She had watched Severus at dinner while Zelda was speaking, and saw his enjoyment in her presence. It was remarkable to see a young man who had never trusted anyone but Albus Dumbledore, able to relax a little and trust this kind, loving young woman.

"Severus, will you be able to communicate with us? If it is possible, we need to know what... they are planning," Minerva said.

"I will consider how we may contact each other, Minerva," he said. "I would also like to know if Order members see any unusual movements among the Death Eaters, since I cannot monitor all of them."

"I'll do what I can to assist you, Severus," she said heavily, but I cannot imagine the remaining members of the Order being very successful. Kingsley Shacklebolt is forced to dance attendance on the Muggle Prime Minister, at Rufus Scrimgeour's direct order. I rarely hear from Kingsley, which is unfortunate." Minerva continued thoughtfully, "Arthur Weasley is trustworthy, but he is at the Ministry. Not much of importance is happening there right now."

"Is Hagrid here?" Severus asked. "I hope that he will not go haring off again this summer. He and that monster hound of his are needed to help protect the school."

Minerva began to chuckle, shaking her head helplessly, "Oh Severus, you missed Hagrid's marvelous surprise," she exclaimed. "He brought his 'little brother' back to live in the Forest. His name is Grawp."

Severus stared a moment, and groaned, "Hagrid has always managed to complicate life at Hogwarts. On the bright side, however, it seems there is one giant who has not joined the Dark Lord."

"You, Severus?" replied Minerva mockingly. "Looking on the bright side? I never thought it possible."

Severus glared icily for a long moment, before he reluctantly replied, "It is possible, Minerva, but still unlikely. I am merely willing to consider it now."

Zelda met Minerva's amused gaze, but said nothing.

"Minerva," said Severus reluctantly, "I hesitate to speak, but I must say this. I have no definitive reason that I can offer to you, but please keep a watchful eye on Nymphadora Tonks while she is here."

"Why" Minerva responded sternly. "What reason do you have to say this?"

Severus paused to gather his thoughts. "During the past year she acted in a... scattered way. Her Patronus changed. As an Auror she should have better self-control, and behave with discipline."

"She was unhappy, things with Remus Lupin were going badly and she may have been suffering from depression," Minerva said, considering the weakness of her defense even as she spoke.

Severus sighed wearily, here was another chance to be doubted. He did not really wish to go on, but he forced himself to say it. "I have found myself considering if she may be under the Imperius Curse. It seems unlikely that she would willingly turn to the other side, but I believe that there is at least one spy within the Order... and I have wondered."

Minerva listened thoughtfully. During the past months Madam Rosmerta had been Imperiused, something she had never considered possible. "You were her Head of House, Severus. You know her, and I must respect your judgment. Why did you suggest that I hire her for the DADA position?"

"During the past school year, she was stationed in Hogsmeade, yet more than once she came here to Hogwarts for no good reason. This way you can monitor her more closely," he said calmly. "The news of her romance with Lupin causes me more concern, since he is aware of ways into Hogwarts that are not generally known, and I imagine he will tell her of them."

"That could put our students at risk again," Minerva said, looking appalled. "Potter showed me his Map, and I just sealed the passage between Honeyduke's and the school. However, I've left the passage open between the Shrieking Shack and the Whomping Willow, because he told me that you have used it. If you need access to Hogwarts, Severus, I wish you be able to enter."

"Thank you for your consideration, Minerva," he replied. "Let me consider this, and tomorrow I hope to have a solution to this problem for you. I do indeed wish to enter Hogwarts, if it becomes necessary. We shall discuss it in the morning, perhaps while Zelda visits with Potter."

"What time will Harry be here in the morning?" Zelda asked. "I'd like to look at his Map again, now that I've seen Hogwarts."

"He'll be here for breakfast, Zelda, and Molly may be here tomorrow afternoon," Minerva replied. "Perhaps you should come here for breakfast at eight o'clock. Severus, will you see Potter?"

"I don't see any more harm coming from it, dear boy," Zelda said, "but it's up to you."

He smiled at her and said, "Only you can make breakfast with Potter a bearable prospect." He looked back at Minerva and said, "We shall be here at eight, Minerva."

Minerva rose, and her guests followed suit. As she escorted them toward the stairs, Zelda said, "Dinner was lovely, Minerva, thank you. I look forward to visiting with dear old Phineas again tomorrow."

"Good night, Minerva, and thank you," Severus said.

"Good night," Minerva said with an ironic smile. "I shall see you both in the morning."
Sign up to rate and review this story