Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Surviving High School

~*~Wait a minute, What do you mean we?!?~*~

by Rebel009 16 reviews

Chapter Fourteen

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-24 - 1986 words

0Unrated
A/N: Sorry about such the long wait for an update. I still appreciate all the reviews I've been getting by people who want me to update, so thanks to those people. It's just been hard to get any writing done because I graduated high school and now I have to get ready for college. I want to be able to finish this story before I head to school, but I'm not sure.

Well, enjoy the chapter.

Chapter Fourteen

"Wow."

"I know."

"...Wow."

"Sango! That's the seventh time you said that! It's getting old." Kagome exclaimed.

"Sorry." Sango replied, shaking her head in amazement. "I just can't believe that all this is happening. Kagome, why didn't you tell me?!"

Kagome raised an eyebrow, "I just did."

"Oh...right. So, what are we going to do about it?"

Kagome shook her head and sighed. "I'm not sure...wait a minute! What do you mean we?"

Sango looked at her hard, "Kagome..."

"No, no way. There is no way you are getting involved. I shouldn't have even told you about this. You could get killed." Kagome said vehemently.

"So could you!"

"I DON'T CARE!!"

"WELL I DO!!!!" Sango cried, grabbing Kagome by the shoulders. "I care about you. We all do. Me, Miroku, Kohaku, Souta, your mom, my mom, Inuyasha....especially Inuyasha."

Kagome sighed, "Sango, you don't understand. This isn't a joke, he's really after me." She grabbed the backpack and dumped out it's contents onto the bed. She brought everything. The envelope with the mystery photos, the threatening note, her partially melted video camera, and the picture camera she had found in the burning shrine. She picked up the envelope and handed it to Sango.

"I got these from him in the mail."

Sango looked through the photos, shocked. She stopped at the one of Kagome and Inuyasha on the bench at school, the same shot that had freaked Kagome out the most. She glanced at Kagome, who was sitting on the edge of the bed, her head resting in her hands.

"Hey," Sango quipped, studying the picture. "I think I've seen this before."

Kagome looked up, interested. "You too? That's what I first thought when I saw it."

Sango stood up and walked over to her desk, searching through the drawers.

"In fact," she continued, "I know I've seen it before." She took out a long, thin, black book with the 'Class of 2006' etched in silver on the front and spine. She sat back down on the bed and opened the book towards the beginning. It was a 'Senior Memories' book that was given to all seniors since it was only a few months before graduation. It had been made by the yearbook committee since there was extra money in the budget. Inside were pictures that had been taken throughout the entire year from the first pep rally to Homecoming to the Spring Fling.

Sango opened it to the 'Class Best/Most...' pages. There were categories like Biggest Class Clown, Most Likely to be Famous, Best Dressed, Coolest Car, the list never stopped. She turned to the page with Most Likely Couple to get Married category. Inuyasha and Kagome had won hands down since they were already engaged. Kagome's eyes widened as she spotted the picture they had used. It was an exact match to the photograph that had been sent to her in the envelope. She looked at Sango.

"It's the same picture." Sango nodded.

"I know." Kagome sighed and ran her fingers through her hair in frustration.

"So what does this mean?"

"Well, it can mean one of two things. One, Naraku somehow stole that picture from the school's yearbook room, or, the one who sent the pictures is on the yearbook committee."

"And if that's true, then Naraku really didn't take the pictures. He would have somebody from the committee working with him. But who?"

Sango picked up the picture camera, examining it. "You found this in your house?"

Kagome nodded. "When it was burning, yeah."

"This is the model of the camera we use. Someone from school must be working with Naraku."

" And again, who?"

"I have an idea." Sango stood up once again and dropped to her knees, hunting under her bed. She yanked a large, black case. Inside was an identical black camera and a folder a list of names and numbers. She pulled out the list, running her finger down the names, stopping halfway down.

"That's what I thought." She picked up the mystery camera and showed it to Kagome. "Every person on the committee has their own camera that they borrow from the school. Since I'm in charge of the committee, I have the list of who has what camera." She pointed to a small, white number that was written on the lens cap. "This camera is number ten. Kikyo joined the yearbook committee this year. Guess which number camera she is supposed to have."

"Ten." Kagome spat, anger filling her veins. Sango nodded.

"Right...and I wonder how it got into your house just before it was set on fire." Sango replied, sarcastically. Kagome sighed and fell backwards onto the bed, closing her eyes.

"This is getting out of control. Kikyo's working with Naraku. I guess it makes sense, seeing as she hates me so much. But still, how does she know him? How did they get together anyway?"

"I don't know, Kag. What I do know is that you can't do this on your own and just having me isn't going to help any. You need to tell the police or something. This isn't funny, he's threatening you and Inuyasha," Sango said, pointing to the note from the envelope.

"I know, I know. I don't know what to do, Sango."

"I'll tell you what we're gonna do..." Sango started determinedly. Kagome opened her eyes and propped herself up on her hands.

"There goes that 'we' again..." Sango ignored her and continued.

"We are going to go downstairs and tell this to my mom. She's a cop, she'll know how to handle it. And then, we're gonna call the boys." Kagome sighed.

"All right." Sango smiled, grabbed Kagome's hand, and pulled her off the bed.

******************************

"Kagome, why didn't you say something sooner?" Miroku asked gently, trying to sooth the tension that was mounting with each passing second.

"I dunno. Scared, I guess," she replied, her eyes never leaving the silver-haired half demon that was sitting at the table across from her. They were all there, Kagome, Sango, Miroku, Inuyasha, Sango's Mom, and even Kohaku and Souta. Kagome had finally let it all come out. Now the police would be informed and she would no longer have the burden resting on her shoulders alone.

After going through every detail with Mrs. Taijiya, they called Inuyasha and Miroku and asked them to come over to the house. And now, with the secret out for everyone to hear, Kagome had never felt more vulnerable in her entire life. She had hoped she would find some form of relief, but the fact that Inuyasha had not said a word, not moved, not even looked at her since he sat down ad radically lowered her comfort level. She nervously played with the ring on her left hand, twisting it around and around her finger.

Inuyasha just sat there, looking at the pictures Kagome had set before them, his fists clenching and unclenching in anger. How could she....? She never....Didn't she.....? He finally shot out of his seat, the force causing the chair to fly backward into the wall as he stormed towards the front door. Kagome lowered her head and closed her eyes, determined not to let the tears come as she felt Sango grip her hand. Miroku frowned and went after his friend, while Kagome and Sango silently followed.

"Inuyasha, where are you going?" Inuyasha grabbed his helmet.

"Out. I need to go for a ride." He then finally looked at Kagome with such anger, hurt, and disappointment that it made her flinch. "A long ride."

"You can't leave now," Miroku continued, beginning to become angry himself. "Kagome needs us." Inuyasha laughed bitterly.

"The hell she does. She probably never would have said anything it Sango didn't drag it out of her." Sango started to protest but he cut her off. "But why should I care? Why should I even bother?" He turned to Kagome, who just took a deep breath and stood her ground, preparing to take anything that he shot at her. She deserved it. "You obviously didn't trust me enough to tell me this from the beginning. You never tell me anything anymore!! If you can't trust me, then maybe you're not the girl I want to marry!!!"

The room went deathly quiet as Miroku and Sango gasped. Inuyasha's eyes widened in horror when he realized what he had just said to the one girl who gave his life meaning, the girl he depended on, the one he loved. Kagome's head was lowered so that her bangs were hanging over her eyes and she was trembling slightly. 'Oh God, what have I done?!' Inuyasha took a step forward and gently grasped her arms with shaky hands as he spoke with an equally shaky voice.

"Ka-kagome, I..." But before he could finish, Kagome yanked herself out of his reach and looked up at him with watery, yet determined glare. "Kagome....I didn't mean-"

"No, you're right!" Kagome interrupted, her voice shaky yet growing stronger and steadier as anger and hurt fueled her temper. "Maybe I'm not the girl you want to marry!! I mean, really, still in high school and we're already engaged?" she scoffed. "Ha!! What were we thinking? What do we know about love?"

All trace of tears gone from her eyes, she stalked over to the speechless, heartbroken hanyou, yanking the engagement band off of her finger and shoving it into his shaking hand. "Well, consider yourself a free man, Inuyasha. Now stay the hell out of my life."

And with that, Kagome walked out the front door, slamming it shut behind her. Inuyasha stared at the ring in his hand, eyes wide with shock, until he was finally hit with the reality of what had just happened. His stomach gave a violent jerk and he felt as though he were going to be sick. He collapsed on the couch with a moan and buried his face in his hands.

"Oh God, oh God, oh God, oh God....." he repeated brokenly, over and over again. Miroku sat beside him and gripped a hand on his shoulder, wanting to help but unsure how. Sango was just staring at the front door that Kagome had stormed out, frozen in shock. This is not how she intended things to turn out when she convinced Kagome to tell everyone. She then whipped around to face the hanyou, eyes narrowed in anger.

"You selfish jerk!!! The only reason she didn't tell you about this before was because she loved you and wanted to protect you!!! Then you get in her face with this whole 'you don't trust me' crap. What the hell is wrong with you?!" She was going to continue, but she stopped short when Inuyasha raised his head to look at her, all the life gone from his amber eyes. Her anger died and she sighed in despair. Miroku gently took her by the arm and pulled her away so Inuyasha wouldn't hear.

"I'm going to go see if I can find Kagome, make sure she doesn't do anything she'll regret." he whispered. Sango nodded.

"I'll stay here and try to calm Inuyasha down. He shouldn't be driving anytime soon." They hugged and Miroku kissed her cheek before heading out the door. Sango watched him leave, then sat down next to Inuyasha, and rubbed his back.

A/N: Well, I updated. Yeah, I know, another cliffhanger, oh well.
Sign up to rate and review this story