Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > The Imaginary World

4

by LucyMayKumagoro 0 reviews

*

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Humor - Characters: Hisoka - Published: 2006-09-25 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 1100 words

0Unrated
The southwestern division headquarters of the American Ministry looked like an oasis in the midst of a massive desert, with its cheerfully painted stucco walls and lush grounds. Tsuzuki was growing to loathe his signature dark suit in these climates, he thought, as they climbed the steps the large building.

The summoning office had a nice, informal atmosphere, with an airy room with large windows and a patio instead of the usual cramped cubicles. Jarrett led them out to the open area, with a mosaic tiled floor, where a young woman in a long rayon skirt and an embroidered sleeveless blouse sat barefoot and looking over the courtyard peacefully. She turned at the sound of the door opening, her long brown hair falling aside to reveal unusual eyes, one blue and the other a strange yellowish shade.

"Hello, boys," she said with a smile. "I was wondering when you'd come."

"You knew we were coming, Miranda?" Hy asked. Miranda nodded serenely.

"The cute little tiger man told me in a dream. He is a shikigami, right?" Miranda asked dreamily, searching their faces, and finding a response in Tsuzuki's expression.

"You spoke to Byakko?" Tsuzuki asked.

"The guardian of the west gate, yes. Well, your west gate anyway," she said with a giggle. "Our west gate is guarded by the Thunderbird. Eden is composed of many gods from North America, as your realm is populated by shikigami gods."

"The Thunderbird is my guardian spirit, Hohoq," Jarrett explained.

"Yes, he is quite powerful," Miranda said with a smile. She inclined her head slightly, studying Hy. "And you, I believe have taken in the spirit of the great dire wolf, Amarok?"

"Yes, ma'am," Hy said, looking somewhat nervous under her scrutiny.

"Is there something wrong?" Miranda asked him. Hy shifted on his feet.

"Well, I was kinda wondering. In Eden the guardian spirits take on stable, human forms and all when they're the summoning kind, so --" Hy said with a shrug.

"So you're wondering what will happen when you reenter the realm with your parasite?" Miranda asked, smiling gently.

"Yeah, that's pretty much the gist. I won't be turned into a slobbering wolf hound, will I?" Hy asked. Miranda laughed.

"No, sweetie. Amarok is inside you. He will not appear unless he feels he is needed. It will be the same as it is here," Miranda said. Hy looked relieved.

"So you're the gatekeeper who will be allowing us into Eden?" Tsuzuki asked.

"Yes. It will be tricky, but I think I will be able to open the gate for you with the help of Byakko," Miranda said.

"Byakko?" Tsuzuki asked in surprise.

"Yes. Eden's guardians are not cooperating with humans since the breach. You may have had similar difficulties in your own realm. Byakko is, you could say, willing to bend the rules for you, Mr. Tsuzuki. He believes that you're the only one who can help," Miranda said.

"Wow. No pressure there, big fella," Watari said, slapping Tsuzuki on the back.

"Come with me, gentlemen," Miranda said, standing up, anklets with little bells jingling at her every step. She led them into a small office, where she sat before a computer.

"I already have the coordinates entered. It's up to you now," Miranda said, everyone's gaze following her's to Tsuzuki.

"What do I need to do?" Tsuzuki asked.

"Summon Byakko in your mind. Do not speak the incantation, but try to channel him with your thoughts. We do not wish to bring him here, after all, but to let him know that we are ready to go there. I need you to concentrate deeply," Miranda said.

"We're defeated before we've started!" Watari chirped.

"I need you to clear your mind of all thought," Miranda continued, ignoring Watari.

"Oh, then again, perhaps not," Watari added more quietly, receiving a nasty look from Tsuzuki before the shinigami sat in a nearby chair, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

xxxx

Tsuzuki felt warm breath upon his face. Had he been dreaming again? He thought he had been talking to Byakko, though everything was in darkness. Slowly he opened his eyes, revealing a playful tiger spirit's face staring directly down into his.

"Aaah! Byakko!" Tsuzuki yelped, pulling himself upward and nearly knocking heads with the shiki, who leapt off him with a laugh.

"You're awake! He's awake everybody!" Byakko announced, waving his arms.

Tsuzuki looked around to find himself in a forest with the most enormous trees he'd ever encountered, lying on a soft bed of pine needles. He saw that Byakko was addressing the other four shinigami, who were a few yards away. Hisoka was the first one at his side, brushing the stray needles from his hair.

"You fell into a trance and hit the ground when we arrived. Luckily, you fell on your head," Hisoka said, his gentle smile and touches revealing the worry behind his teasing.

"Sorry this place is a little wild," Byakko said with a grin. "There aren't a lot of buildings close together like back in my realm, but I caught you a rabbit!" Byakko said proudly, holding the little creature up by its ears.

"It's still alive!" Tsuzuki said, gazing at the squirming bunny. Byakko frowned.

"Well, I couldn't bring myself to -- It's cute!" Byakko said with a pout, tickling the rabbit under the chin. "I thought maybe you guys would, you know, take care of that bit." Jarrett sighed, taking the frightened animal from the shiki and looking it in the eyes.

"You sure this isn't a god or anything?" Jarrett asked, turning his gaze to Byakko. The tiger shiki shrugged.

"Either way, I'm not eating the bunny!" Tsuzuki cried, his eyes misty as he stared at the creature with pity.

Jarrett gently lowered the rabbit to the ground and released him. The rabbit seemed to be encompassed in a swirling column of light, revealing a sputtering, nervous looking man.

"Of all the insolent --" the man muttered, pulling himself up from the ground and brushing off his shabby robe. "I am Mat-gwas, you fool!"

"Who?" Byakko asked, cocking his head slightly.

"Mat-gwas! The first of the shamans! How dare you think of serving me for dinner!" the thin little man squeaked through large front teeth. He turned to Jarrett and Tsuzuki and bowed deeply. "You, however, are beings of better judgment. May I repay your favor?"

"Um -- know where we can get something to eat that isn't a god?" Tsuzuki asked with a shrug. Mat-gwas nodded.

"Follow me," the rabbit spirit said, shooting Byakko one more indignant look before leading them through the trees.
Sign up to rate and review this story