Categories > TV > Power Rangers > Power Rangers: CPU

Founder's Day Fallout

by RocketShark216 0 reviews

The Rangers attend the city’s annual Founder’s Day Ball in order to protect the Mayor and other city officials from Venjix’s latest scheme. Control, Alt, and Delete are also in attendance, se...

Category: Power Rangers - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Sci-fi - Published: 2023-03-04 - 10113 words

0Unrated
Episode 20: Founder's Day Fallout

Griffin took a deep breath as he looked himself over in his bedroom mirror. Soon, it would be time to face the Founder's Day Ball and all the danger and intrigue awaiting him there.

He studied his reflection and took note of his appearance. His white dress shirt, black waistcoat, and matching dress pants were smooth and unwrinkled, freshly pressed by the local dry cleaners. His face was clean-shaven, and his brownish-blonde hair was neatly styled, parted to the right, and lightly teased with pomade.

He took another breath, then tightened his red neck tie and took a moment to admire himself in the mirror.

He fiddled with the strap of his golden wristwatch, then noted the time – 7:28pm. His gaze drifted off, and his mind began to wander…

"Thank you for assembling on such short notice, Rangers," Doctor K had addressed them as they stepped into her lab a few days prior. She turned to Agent Wright, then added, "Agent, the floor is yours."

"Right then. Thank you, Doctor." Agent Wright cleared his throat, then turned to face the Rangers. "As you are all aware, your mentor reached an agreement with my superiors in the aftermath of the ARC incident. The terms of this agreement allow your team to continue its operations against Venjix so long as you answer to and carry out the occasional favor for the CIA...I've been sent here today to request one of those favors."

He paused momentarily, reaching into his suit jacket and producing a manila folder which he then opened to reveal four white envelopes. Each had the words 'Top Secret – For Eyes Only' scrawled onto them in red ink and stamped with the CIA's seal. He handed one to each of the human Rangers before continuing.

"This week marks the 100th anniversary of Starview Heights' founding. To celebrate, Mayor Gaylyn will be hosting the annual Founder's Day Ball at city hall. The higher-ups in Langley fully expect Venjix to crash the party, so I've arranged for you four to attend in the interest of protecting city officials. ALPHA will pull security on the roof and provide backup if needed." He explained. "Enclosed in your envelopes are tickets to the event and dossiers detailing basic mission parameters. Your identities must remain secret, as always. The last thing we wanna do here is cause a panic, so you'll have to conduct yourselves as covertly as possible."

Griffin and the others shared an anxious look. Agent Wright hastened to add, "I realize I'm asking a lot of you, but you've yet to let me down, and I'm confident that won't change anytime soon. My superiors demand I maintain a layer of emotional distance regarding this posting, but if I may speak candidly..."

His voice trailed off, and he recomposed himself before concluding, "It has been a privilege to serve as your handler and an honor to serve with you."

"Thank you, Felix. I can assure you, the feeling is mutual." Doctor K offered him a warm smile, which he returned before exiting the lab. She turned to the Rangers, then said, "I suggest you go home and get some rest. The ball begins Friday night at eight o'clock sharp. Good luck, Rangers."

"We won't let you down, Doc," Griffin assured her, though his voice betrayed his uncertainty…

Griffin shook his head as he snapped out of his trance and back into the present. He turned away from the mirror, shifting his attention to his desk as he searched for something.

"The envelope! Where did I put the envelope…?" He opened its drawers one by one, sifting through their contents in hopes of locating the missing item. When he opened the fifth and final drawer, he immediately wished he hadn't.

Sitting in the front portion of the drawer was a tattered photo strip – a copy of the one he carried in his wallet every day. It consisted of numerous photos of a younger Griffin and a girl with curly blonde hair and baby blue eyes, no older than sixteen. A message was scrawled onto the strip in black ink: "Don't forget, 3/15/201X".

His lips creased into a deep frown, and he let out a forlorn sigh as a single tear rolled down his cheek. He wiped it with his sleeve, then slammed the drawer shut. A white envelope lying next to his keyboard was sent flying off the desk, and he snatched it up as it drifted towards the floor.

He opened it, then retrieved its contents. After skimming the dossier, he slid it and the envelope into a document shredder, destroying them. Griffin pocketed the ticket, then grabbed his suit jacket off the back of his computer chair and slipped it on over his vest. He fastened its single button, slid into a pair of leather dress shoes, and left his apartment…

"THE TIME HAS COME, MY CHILDREN!" The silence in Venjix's warehouse was shattered by his commanding voice, which cut through the calm like a dagger. "IT IS TIME FOR US TO STRIKE!"

Control, Alt, and Delete immediately dropped what they were doing. They rushed into the main room, then bowed before his containment tube.

"A votre service, Pere." Control replied in French. "What would you have us do?"

"THE PEOPLE OF THIS PUNY CITY ARE GATHERING FOR A CELEBRATION AT CITY HALL. THE MAYOR AND OTHER CITY OFFICIALS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE – USE SOME OF THE ENERGON WE'VE ACQUIRED TO CREATE AN ATTACK BOT, THEN TAKE EVERYONE IN THE VENUE HOSTAGE. WE WILL HOLD THEM FOR RANSOM AND INCREASE OUR STOCK OF ENERGON TEN-FOLD!"

"And what of the Power Rangers…?" Alt ventured. "What if they interfere?"

"THE FACT YOU WOULD EVEN ASK ASTONISHES ME!" Venjix said, taken aback somewhat. "THAT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS – CRUSH THEM! RIP THEM LIMB FROM LIMB! EVISCERATE THEM! WHATEVER YOU DO, I WANT THEM DEAD! THE SOONER, THE BETTER!"

"Your will be done, Father!" Delete rose to his feet, then turned to leave. "We'll set out at once!"

Alt was quick to follow, leaving Control to bring up the rear. He dipped his head in one last show of respect, then turned and padded after his siblings.

"Oh, I intend to kill them," He said to himself, his voice barely more than a whisper. "But first, I'll have a little...fun."

Griffin's eyes widened in awe as he stepped into city hall's grand ballroom. The ceiling stretched infinitely upwards, and the walls were adorned with ornate gold-leafed molding. The gleaming parquet floor shone like a mirror, reflecting the light from the sparkling chandeliers. Everywhere he looked, finely dressed people chattered and laughed amongst one another as they mingled.

He was mesmerized by the opulence of the ballroom, his gaze sweeping across it as he took it all in. He'd attended formal events before – church socials, weddings, and the like – but he'd never seen a venue quite like this, much less been invited inside.

"Everyone, could I have your attention for just a moment?" A well-dressed African-American man cleared his throat as he strolled onto a stage on the far side of the room, grabbing a microphone off a mic stand. He tapped it a few times to ensure it worked. As everyone turned their attention to him, he continued, "My name is Mayor Gaylyn, and I'd like to welcome you to Starview Heights' 99th annual Founder's Day Ball! Thank you all for coming out, we've spared no expense, and as always, we sincerely hope that you all have a wonderful evening. Dinner will be served shortly, but in the meantime, feel free to help yourself to refreshments!"

He placed the mic back in its stand, went off the stage, and returned to his table, where his wife and young daughter awaited him. The orchestra began playing a waltz, and the sound added to the already festive atmosphere.

Griffin carefully approached the drink table, where a large bowl of punch sat atop a white netted tablecloth. He raised a ladle full of the liquid to his nose, sniffing it to ensure it wasn't alcoholic. Once he was sure it wasn't, he poured himself a glass and took a small sip as he walked away.

His eyes swept the room, and he tried to mask his growing paranoia. The ballroom was massive, with numerous points of entry. Venjix's forces could strike at any moment, from anywhere. As he continued surveying the interior, he began to feel more and more out of his depth.

"Hey, Grif!" A familiar voice called across the room, pulling him from his thoughts. He looked to the source of the sound and saw Kenny, who wore a crème tweed suit with an unbuttoned collar and no tie. He was sitting at a table next to Milly, who wore a pink satin dress with her hair styled in loose curls. The Blue Ranger waved him over, then added, "Over here!"

Griffin quickly obliged, padding over to thr table and sitting across from his teammate. "Nice suit, man."

"Thanks! Yours is cool, too – but I wish somebody had told me the dress code for tonight was James Bond!" Kenny teased. He gestured over to Milly, then added, "This is my girlfriend Milly, you remember her right? Milly, this is my friend Griffin. We have Biochem together and are part of that club I mentioned."

"So you're Griffin, huh?" Milly smiled warmly, and as Griffin stretched his hand across the table, she added, "Kenny's told me a lot about you!"

"All of it good, I hope?" Griffin joked, earning a small laugh. They shook hands, and he said, "You're a reporter, right? Are you here to cover the ball?"

"Actually, no. My boss got someone else to do it, so I got the night off." She told him. "I would've loved to cover it myself, but I've been working nonstop since I got promoted, so I'm glad to have some downtime. Besides, Kenny and I are dating now, so why not show him off?"

"Please. If anyone's showing the other person off, it's me, Mil. You look gorgeous," Kenny said, causing Milly's face to flush.

"Oh, stop it! You look really good, too, y'know!" She slapped him lightly on the arm, then turned to Griffin with a sheepish expression. "Sorry, I almost forgot you were here! We're not being too mushy, are we?"

"Nah. Besides, you guys just started dating. Can't exactly blame a brand new couple for still being in the honeymoon phase." Griffin took another sip of punch, then said, "It's nice to finally meet you. Kenny talks about you all the time."

"Aww, you do?! Babe, that's so sweet!" She pecked Kenny on the cheek, causing him to blush. She turned back to Griffin before saying, "It's nice to finally meet his friends. You guys are important to him, which means you're important to me, too."

"Thanks. That means a lot," Griffin smiled, and the conversation seemed to die down for a few moments before Milly abruptly spoke again.

"Ooh, that reminds me! Where's your friend Wendy?" She asked Kenny. "Isn't she supposed to be here too?"

"Yeah, she is. She'll probbly be late; she doesn't drive, so she usually takes the bus." Kenny noticed a subtle shift in Griffin's demeanor at the mention of the Yellow Ranger. With a mischievous grin, he added, "You can tell she's not here yet because Griffy's not a blushing, stammering mess."

"Aww! You like her?" Milly's eyes lit up, her attention shifting back to Griffin as he scratched at his collar and his face reddened. "You should ask her to dance tonight! I'd bet she'd love that!"

"Ehh, Wendy's not exactly the dancing type, but she might go for it if he asks her to," Kenny's eyes drifted elsewhere, and he raised his eyebrows slightly. "Speak of the devil. There she is!"

Griffin involuntarily followed Kenny's gaze, and that's when he spotted Wendy, who was clad in a yellow sundress that stopped just above her knees. It had a halter neckline and a flared skirt and was made of a lightweight, flowing fabric that moved gracefully as she walked. She'd paired the dress with pink wedge heels, adding a touch of color to the outfit.

Her curly red hair was in a half-up, half-down style, with the front pulled up and secured with a yellow hair tie. She'd eschewed her glasses in favor of contacts, and hanging from her right ear was the Yudonian crystal earring gifted to her by Princess Sonia.

To top everything off, she'd put on a bit of makeup. A light sheen of clear lip gloss accented her lips, and a touch of mascara made her diamond-blue eyes pop.

Griffin felt his heart do somersaults in his chest, and his cheeks turned redder than his Ranger helmet.

"Well, now's your chance," Kenny slapped him on the arm, jolting him from his reverie. He gestured to Wendy, saying, "Go ask her to dance."

"Gimme a minute. I gotta work up the nerve!" Griffin whispered sharply. "...Y'know, this music's kinda slow. What if she gets the wrong idea?"

"Wrong idea? Griffin, you're head over heels for her! She can't get the wrong idea if it's 100% accurate!" Griffin settled into his chair and sipped on his punch, hiding behind the glass. Kenny rolled his eyes, then hit him upside the head before saying, "Get up and ask her to dance! You're being ridiculous!"

"Wait a sec, she's coming this way," Milly pointed out, gesturing to Wendy as she strode across the ballroom to their table. "Just play it cool."

"I don't know how to do that, but whatever..." Griffin straightened in his seat, looking up at Wendy once she reached the table. His mouth felt dry, and his palms began to sweat as he stammered, "Umm, h-hi, Carrot Top…"

"So this is where you've been hiding," Wendy observed. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

"You have…?"

"C'mon, let's dance." She held out her hand, and he tilted his head in confusion.

"W-What?"

"I said let's dance! You are such a blockhead, I swear…" She grabbed him by the arm, yanked him up out of his seat and lead him away from the table. Once they were an appropriate distance from the dining area, she grabbed his right arm and placed his hand over her left shoulder blade. She draped her left hand over his right shoulder, then held his left hand with her right. As they began to sway to the beat of the music, she whispered, "We're supposed to blend in, remember? Everybody's having fun, so we should too."

"I suppose you have a point…" Griffin relented, relaxing his shoulders. He looked her in the eyes, then gulped before his mouth betrayed his thoughts. "You look...beautiful."

Wendy blushed a deep crimson, and she eventually replied, "Thank you...y'know, you don't clean up so bad yourself."

"That supposed to be a compliment?" Griffin joked, his lips curling into a wry smile.

"Don't make me slug you," She admonished. "But yes, it is. I mean it; you look good."

"Thanks…" He felt the urge to rub the back of his head but fought it as they continued to dance. "Y'know, I haven't danced like this since...well, ever."

"Really?" Wendy asked, surprised. "You never went to Prom or anything?"

"Umm, no, not really…" He glanced down at his shoes, then looked back up at her and said, "None of the cool girls like you said yes."

"Oh. And I thought you were a blockhead…" Wendy snuck a peek at the other couples dancing around them, then turned her attention back to Griffin. Dancing with him felt more natural than she'd expected. "Y'know, for someone who's never really done this, you're surprisingly decent at it."

"That was also a compliment, I take it?" She gave him a look, and he replied, "Sorry, couldn't help myself...thank you, by the way."

The music suddenly rose in intensity and volume, as did the chatter of their fellow attendees. Griffin ignored the din of noise, much too preoccupied with the drum-like beating of his heart.

"Wendy, I...I'm having a really good time. I'm...I'm glad we did this."

"Yeah, me too…" They locked eyes, and time slowed to a crawl. The music swelled as Wendy's gaze shifted from his eyes to his lips, and Griffin's heart raced. He leaned in, drawn by her irresistible pull. Still, a sudden, sharp pang in his chest jolted him out of the moment as a long-forgotten memory surged to the forefront of his mind…

"Josie…?" A sixteen-year-old Griffin whispered as he stood in the hospital room doorway, quietly rapping his knuckles on the door. He received no answer, so he padded inside, his eyes landing on the room's occupant. Lying on the bed was the blonde girl from his photo strips, her body thin and emaciated, her face gaunt and pale. His heart ached as he watched her chest slowly rise and fall beneath the blankets. He gently placed the bundle of flowers he'd brought on her bedside table, then lowered himself onto a chair. Tears welled in his eyes as he managed to breathe out, "I hate seeing you like this…"

"Griffin…?" Wendy's voice pulled him back to the present, and he realized he'd frozen in place. She looked at him with equal parts confusion and concern. "Are you okay…?"

"...I need some air!" He exclaimed abruptly, tearing himself away from her. Without another word, he marched across the ballroom. He threw open the doors to a nearby balcony, disappearing into the night. Wendy remained on the dance floor, her confusion giving way to a slight frown as she watched him leave.

The cold night air rushed over Griffin's skin as he stepped outside, but the chill did little to cool the fire burning in his chest. His heartbeat thundered in his ears as the ambient noise of the party was suddenly silenced by the doors to the balcony swinging closed. Disoriented and overwhelmed, he stumbled over to the balcony's railing and braced himself against it. The sound of cars rushing by on the streets below washed over him, and he closed his eyes, then breathed deeply to calm himself.

"I'm not sure what that was about, but you should've kissed her." Griffin jumped, Quincy's sudden comment startling him half to death. He turned to face the Gold Ranger, clad in a black tuxedo with a golden bow tie.

"How long...have you been...out here…?" He managed to wheeze, gripping his chest as his heart rate slowly climbed back down.

"Pretty much since I got here. I can't stand parties," Griffin stood up straighter, and Quincy returned to the subject at hand. "Look, she wanted to kiss you, and I know you wanted to kiss her...so why didn't you?"

"You're the mind reader. Why don't you tell me?" Griffin scoffed, shaking his head a bit. He turned his back to his teammate, then gazed at the night sky. Quincy joined him at the railing, his face forming into a frown.

"Grif, I know you're not ready to talk about Josie, and I won't force you to...but if you're scared of losing Wendy too, pushing her away isn't the answer."

"I know, I know! I just...panicked," He ran a hand through his hair, sweat beading on his forehead. "I blew it, didn't I…?"

"Griffin, Wendy cares about you." He turned back to Quincy, who continued, "If you explained it to her, I'm sure she'd understand."

"Maybe…" Griffin gazed at the stars as if he were searching them for answers, and Quincy felt a pang of sympathy. He opened his mouth to say something, but for the first time in his life, words eluded him...

Meanwhile, Wendy stayed rooted to her spot on the dance floor, staring blankly ahead as the festivities continued on around her. She remained there for several moments. Then, she suddenly spun on her heels and marched towards Kenny and Milly's table without warning.

"Hey...you okay?" Kenny inquired of her, concern evident in his dark brown eyes. As she plopped down in Griffin's disused chair, he pressed further with, "Mil and I are here for you if you wanna ta-"

"I need a drink!" Wendy declared abruptly, scooping up the glass in front of her. "Please tell me this is alcoholic!"

"No, they usually don't start serving wine until later in the" Wendy raised the glass to her lips and began soaking down its contents anyway, leaving Milly to lamely finish, "-evening...you know that's Griffin's, right..?"

"D-Dammit…!" Wendy coughed, spitting punch back into the glass. She cleared her throat and lightly slammed the cup on the table in frustration. "That...blockhead!"

"Not to pry, but like...what happened out there?" Kenny questioned. "I mean, you guys were like this close to kissing! What happened?!"

"I don't know! He just froze, and when I asked what was wrong, he stormed outside." She explained, her lips creasing into a frown. "It's just not like him, y'know? The only time he's acted like this before was…"

Her voice trailed off mid-sentence, prompting Kenny to ask, "Was what?"

"Nothing. It's nothing." Neither Kenny nor Milly looked convinced, and as the hastily-constructed facade crumbled, she reluctantly elaborated. "Okay, fine!... You remember that train trip our club went on, right? Well, we sat across from each other on the train, and at one point, he pulled out his wallet. I saw him looking at this photo strip; it had all these pictures of him with some girl. He tensed up when I asked who she was and then changed the subject."

"Weird..." Milly tapped her chin, then suggested, "Maybe it was his ex?"

"I have no idea," Wendy shrugged. "But about a month ago, he volunteered for a sleep study Doctor K did. I swung by his place to grab some things for him, and while I was there, I went through his desk to find this book he said he wanted. Well, in one of the drawers, I found another copy of that photo strip, but this one had-"

"AHHHHHHHHHH...!" The double doors to the kitchen flew open, and a chef tumbled out into the ballroom. All eyes shifted to him as he hollered, "It's those robots from the news! RUN!"

The doors flung open once more, allowing an Attack Bot to stomp its way out. An ocean of Xanadroids poured out of the kitchen behind it, and with a silent flick of its hand, the lead robot signaled its troops to attack. The Xanadroids drew their weapons and lunged toward the nearest target – the orchestra.

Within seconds, the entire venue was plunged into chaos. The musicians fell backward in their chairs as they scrambled to get away. The waltz they'd been performing just minutes prior was immediately supplanted by a symphony of panicked shrieks, hydraulic footsteps, and crackling lasers.

Those still sitting tore away from their seats and swarmed the dance floor in a frantic escape attempt. While they were distracted, Wendy stood from her chair and marched to the nearest broom closet, which she slipped inside. Kenny quickly followed her lead; he pecked Milly on the cheek, whispered, "Duty calls, darling.", then made his way to the now abandoned stage. He ducked behind a velvet curtain, then readied his morpher.

"Install: CPU!" Yellow and blue light shined through gaps in the closet door and curtain, respectively, and CPU Yellow and Blue promptly emerged and leaped into battle.

The Attack Bot lumbered towards the Mayor's table as they focused on thinning the Xanadroids' numbers. Mayor Gaylyn rose from his seat, stepped in front of the table, and fixed the Attack Bot with a defiant glare.

"If you're trying to intimidate me, I regret to inform you I'm not afraid."

"You should be...and you will!"

The Attack Bot raised its fork-shaped arm, then reeled back and prepared to strike the Mayor. However, shattering glass echoed above it, and it looked up just in time to see CPU Silver drop through the skylight.

"Not so fast, you vile fiend!" ALPHA landed on the Fork Attack Bot's shoulders and took it down, using his thighs to squeeze its head and twisting his body so that it was sent crashing to the floor. The head scissors left the brutish robot reeling, and ALPHA quickly hopped back up to his feet and turned to face the Mayor.

"Fear not, Mr. Mayor, for I am here!" He declared. He gestured to the nearest exit, then ordered, "Now, flee to safety! Quickly!"

"Oh, I will – just as soon as my family and everyone else in this room is safe," The Mayor ushered his wife and daughter through a nearby door, then motioned for a pair of his bodyguards to follow them. He pivoted towards the crowd of panicked civilians, then addressed them by saying, "Everyone, quit panicking and get out of here! Form an orderly line and make your way to the nearest exit. The Rangers and I will cover you!"

"What he said!" Milly echoed, hopping out of her seat and crossing the room to join the Mayor. She cupped her hands to her mouth to amplify her voice as she continued, "Everybody through here!"

Together, the two corralled the other civilians through the exit. Once everyone was clear, the pair followed suit, exiting the ballroom and descending one of city hall's many grand corridors.

With the citizens gone, the Fork Attack Bot and its Xanadroid underlings focused their full attention on the Rangers. Wendy, Kenny, and ALPHA stood back to back, their weapons gripped tightly in their hands as their adversaries began surrounding them on all sides.

"Shit's hitting the fan here!" Wendy swore. She raised her morpher, then spoke into it, saying, "Red, Gold, where are you?!"

"We're on our way!" Griffin replied, having since morphed. CPU Red and Gold moved to intervene, but before they could reenter the building, they were blinded by a sudden flash of light. Griffin strained his eyes as his vision blurred, and once it cleared, he was just in time to witness a familiar silhouette appear in front of him. A pair of hands shoved him backward, and he slammed into the railing as the shape vanished. The force of the impact sent him rolling up and over the barrier, and he only managed to save himself from falling by gripping it.

Quincy rushed to his teammate's aid, nearly tripping over himself as he offered his hand. "Hang on, Grif…!"

"The thought had occurred to me," Griffin quipped. He grabbed Quincy's hand, allowing the Gold Ranger to pull him up, but before Quincy could finish, he felt something wrap around his ankle. "What the…?"

"GRIFFIN!" Quincy watched helplessly as his best friend was wrenched away from him. His screams filled the Red Ranger's comm-link as he plummeted toward the ground. Still, Griffin found himself too disoriented to respond or react.

"Ranger Red!" Doctor K's voice cut through his stupor, and he reached for his Transpod and summoned his saber. He cut through the tendril wrapped around his ankle, then used his superspeed to lunge forward. Pain surged through his body as he slammed into the side of the building, but he ignored the sensation to stay focused on the task at hand. Using his saber, he slowed his descent to a halt, then used his morpher's grappling hook to safely rappel the rest of the way down.

"Griffin!" Quincy's voice echoed through the comm-link again as the Red Ranger scanned his new surroundings and found himself in a courtyard. "Griffin, are you alright?!"

"Looking for me, Ranger Red…?" A familiar voice said out of nowhere. Griffin's blood ran cold as Control stepped out from behind a nearby pillar, his lips curling into a wicked smirk. "Well, y'know what they say. 'Seek, and ye shall find.'"

"...Yeah, Quincy, I'm fine," Griffin spoke into his morpher, masking his unease with a level tone. "Go inside and help the others; I'll link up with you in a minute."

Quincy hesitated for a moment but ultimately followed the order. He stepped back into the ballroom, then used his DriveTech Blade to carve a path to the others.

"What...took you...so...long?!" Wendy strained as she held the Fork Attack Bot back with her saber. She struggled against its hold, her arms trembling from her sheer effort. With a mighty yowl, she finally broke free, slashing her foe across the chest. Its armor sparked, and it stumbled backward, giving Kenny an opening to deliver a superstrength-charged punch to its midsection. More sparks leaped from its sternum as it crashed into a nearby table. The table buckled under its weight and then broke. Wooden shrapnel and shards of ruined dishware cascaded over the Attack Bot as it landed on its back.

Quincy capitalized on this brief moment of respite, regrouping with his teammates as the surviving Xanadroids rushed to their superior's aid.

"Sorry I'm late,"

"Where's Griffin?" Wendy asked worriedly.

"Oh, he went bungee-jumping. Y'know how he loves living on the edge," Quincy's flippant remark earned him a pointed look from his Yellow teammate, and he hastened to add, "He says he'll catch up later!"

The Fork Attack Bot growled as it pulled itself back to its feet, prompting Quincy to turn towards it and say, "You and my friend had a nice dance going there! Mind if I cut in?"

"Hellllllp!" A feminine voice shrieked from a nearby hall, echoing off the walls of the building.

"Milly!" Kenny recognized. He tore away from the others, then dashed through the exit she'd used minutes prior.

"He's gonna need backup," Wendy broke away to follow him, leaving Quincy and ALPHA with a simple, "Hold down the fort for us!"

"Well, looks like it's just us then," The Fork Attack Bot remarked. "I suspect you won't pose much of a challenge."

"Clearly, Venjix and friends never warned you about us," ALPHA replied. "You'd do well not to underestimate Rangers Gold and Silver!"

"I suppose this'll prove entertaining either way...very well," The Fork Attack Bot bared its claw arm, then shouted, "Now, less talk, more violence!"

"You seem tense," Control observed, sizing Griffin up as the Red Ranger instinctively tightened his grip on his saber. "What's wrong? You're happy to see me, no?"

Griffin responded with a tsk, his irritation evident. With an amused snort, Control continued, "Well, I'm quite happy to see you. It's been far too long since our last encounter!"

"Not long enough," Griffin muttered loud enough for the Avatar to hear.

"Oh, drop the facade, Ranger Red! I know you enjoy our battles as much as I do," Griffin retained his air of indifference, prompting his nemesis to add, "Besides, I happen to have something to show you."

Control shrugged off his backpack, which he tossed on the ground. He unzipped it, then reached inside. His hand reemerged from the depths of his bag, clutching a wrist brace. Its frame was silver with jagged, spiky edges. Its face plate was black with exposed gray wires beneath twin maroon crystals resembling sunglasses.

"Wait, that's...that's a morpher…!" Griffin realized.

"En effet! I designed it myself – though the credit is not rightfully mine alone. You also played a part in its creation; the data I've collected studying you in combat proved invaluable!"

"You're insane!"

"Merci," Control dipped his head mockingly, then placed his morpher on his left wrist. The Avatar's 'skin' rippled as a black strap materialized around his arm, securing the device to his body.

"VENJIXTECH BRACE" A guttural voice bellowed from within the morpher. Control pressed a black button between the red crystals, causing the voice to add, "STANDBY"

Control's face twisted into a sinister grin, and he pressed the button a second time before saying, "Install: CPU…"

The Avatar let out a maniacal laugh as a ring of orange energy appeared at his feet. Binary code ebbed from the ring as it slowly rose up his body, forming a suit of maroon leather armor that heavily resembled the CPU Rangers' suits. A second ring formed above his head with a snap of his fingers. It cascaded down, creating a helmet similar to Griffin's but with pointy, fox-like ears.

"What do you think? Jealous, aren't you?" Control chuckled at his joke, only for an unamused Griffin to lunge toward him without warning. The Red Ranger gave a mighty yowl as he slashed at the Avatar with his saber. Control sidestepped away from the first and second swings, then slapped his Transpod to summon his rapier, which he used to block the third. He slapped the saber out of his hand, then slashed him in the chest. Griffin stumbled back several yards and nearly toppled over; once he regained his footing, he supersped forward and reeled back his fist.

"Taaaaaake THIS!" Griffin skidded to a halt once he reached his target. He planted his feet, then moved to throw the hardest punch he could muster. However, Control grabbed his wrist the moment before his fist made contact. Griffin squirmed in an attempt to break free, but Control tightened his grip and solidified the leverage he had on his prey. "Let go of me…!"

"No can do! I have something for you, Ranger Red!" Control pressed his Transpod with his free hand, summoning what appeared to be a mirrored version of Griffin's morpher. It was primarily white, with exposed red wires running along its surface. Its sunglass lenses, as were its dial and buttons, were a deep crimson. "Here, I made this for you!"

He pressed the new morpher onto Griffin's right wrist, causing a strap to materialize around it and secure itself to his arm.

"SPYTECH BRACE: VERSION 2" The new morpher named itself, and Griffin resumed his attempts to break free to no avail.

"Maintenant, allons-nous commencer l'expérience?" Control taunted. He twisted the dial on Griffin's new morpher, then pressed its button.

"OVERCLOCKED: BREAK DOWN" Control released his grip on Griffin's wrist, and the Red Ranger stumbled backward. Griffin doubled over, then screamed in pain as red lightning coursed through his body. Suddenly, his suit changed color from red to black, and he let out an animalistic, blood-curdling scream.

"Ranger Red, come in! Your vitals just spiked; gimme a sitrep, over!" Doctor K's voice echoed from the comm-link. He gave no response, prompting her to repeat, "Ranger Red!"

"I'LL HANDLE THIS! JUST SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE!" Griffin angrily shut off his comm-link, then growled. "CONTROL, I'M GONNA KILL YOU!"

"Splendide!" Control laughed manically, then stood his ground as Griffin lunged at him with a primal rage…

"Milly…?!" Kenny's heart raced as he and Wendy descended the grand marble staircase, their footsteps resounding through the ornate hall. With each step, his grip on his saber tightened, the familiar weight of the weapon grounding him. "Milly, where are you?!"

His voice bounced off the walls in search of a response, and he took point once they reached the bottom of the stairs. Wendy brought up the rear, her guard and her blaster at the ready.

"Looking for us, Ranger Blue?" The hairs on the back of Kenny's neck stood straight up, and as he and Wendy rounded the corner, his fears were realized. Alt and Delete stood before a group of hostages they'd taken. The captives – Milly, the Mayor, and his family – were each bound to plush chairs, surrounded by a small squadron of Xanadroids that stood guard with unwavering vigilance. "We've been expecting you!"

"Ke-" Milly stopped mid-sentence, catching herself before she exposed her boyfriend's secret identity. "Blue Ranger, you have to help us!"

"It wouldn't be the first time! Why, if memory serves, our last battle was over the fate of this wannabe journalist," Alt's comment prompted a defiant Milly to spit in her direction. The Avatar retaliated with a sharp slap across her cheek. "You insolent worm!"

Kenny lunged forward without a second thought, swinging at his nemesis with his saber. Alt blocked the attack with her twin pistols' bayonets, then held the Blue Ranger back as he tried breaking through her defense.

"No need to get feisty now! If you wanted a rematch, all you had to do was ask!" Alt taunted as Kenny continued pushing back. Meanwhile, Wendy shifted her attention to the Xanadroids.

"Picking on the weak and defenseless, huh? You clankers never learn!" She aimed her blaster at the robots, but before she could fire, Delete stepped in between and blocked her line of sight. "Get outta the way, rust bucket!"

"I think not, Ranger Yellow! After all, where would the fun in that be?" Delete clasped his hands together, then gestured to her and continued, "It's been months since our last proper battle! Aren't you itching to test the new skills you've acquired since then?"

"Bite me!"

"Very well. Let's dispose of the pretense and just get on with it!" Delete reached for his waist, procuring and subsequently unfurling his energy whip. "This is gonna be fun!"

"Hiiiiiiyah!" Quincy cried fiercely as he leaped from a table and launched himself at the Fork Attack Bot with a flying kick. However, the robot was quick to react, snatching his ankle mid-kick and sending him stumbling backward with a mighty shove.

"BAN-ZAAAAAAI!" ALPHA boomed as he flanked the Attack Bot. He lifted his saber above his head and swung it toward his target's neck, but the Attack Bot quickly sidestepped out of the way. It pivoted and struck the Silver Ranger with its fork-arm, sending him flying into a table on the other side of the ballroom.

"ALPHA!" Quincy rushed to his Buddy-Droid's aid, helping him up as surviving Xanadroids regrouped at their superior's side. "This isn't working…!"

"I have an idea, but... it's risky." The two shared an uneasy glance, then turned their attention back to the opposition as they aimed their weapons at them.

"Screw it; we can't afford to be selective!" With that, they both charged the Attack Bot, dodging blasts from the Xanadroids.

As they closed in, ALPHA shouted, "Quincy, now!" and launched himself into the air.

Quincy used his telekinesis to lift ALPHA higher, allowing him to reach a chandelier. The Attack Bot launched an energy blast at ALPHA with its free hand, bringing the chandelier crashing down and the Silver Ranger along with it. ALPHA struck the free-falling object with his saber, and it exploded in a shower of sparks that rained down on the Xanadroids, destroying them.

The Attack Bot was dazed by the blast. Quincy seized the opportunity, summoning his CellTech Blaster before aiming it at his foe.

"CellTech Blaster: Roaming SHOT!" He launched a cyan energy blast that cut through the Attack Bot's armor. Its body rocked with explosions, and its arm was severed. The disconnected limb hurtled through the air, and a still-recovering ALPHA stumbled right into its flight path as he stood up.

"ALPHA!" With all the Energon he could muster, Quincy used his telekinesis to shove ALPHA out of the way. The Silver Ranger hollered clumsily as his back slammed into the floor; meanwhile, the Fork Attack Bot's severed fork arm embedded itself in the far wall.

"Man, that was a close one! Good save, Quincy!" Quincy failed to respond, and ALPHA turned to face him just in time to see the Gold Ranger double over with his head in his hands. "Quincy…!"

Quincy's grip on his head tightened as if he were trying to keep it from splitting open. Pain surged through his forehead, leaving him feeling like he was being repeatedly struck with a sledgehammer. He let out a series of ragged breaths, trying to steady himself. Finally, he gasped, "My w-weak...point..."

"Say no more!" The two demorphed, and ALPHA slung Quincy's arm over his shoulders and guided him towards the exit. "Let's get you home!"

"YOU'RE MINE!" Griffin struck Control with a rapid flurry of punches, but he was undeterred. The Avatar cackled maniacally as sparks leaped from his Ranger suit, and the Red Ranger let up his assault momentarily. "WHAT'RE YOU LAUGHING AT?!"

"Why, you, of course!" Control exclaimed as if it were obvious. He gestured to his foe, then elaborated, "You claim to be an arm of justice, Ranger Red, and yet all it took was a simple power boost to make you lose all self-control. I mean, look around you! You've made quite a mess of things, no?"

The once-beautiful courtyard they'd been fighting in was now in shambles, reduced to rubble by their deadly melee. The ground was cracked and pitted, and debris littered the broken pavement. Fountains lay shattered and dry, their sculptures rendered unrecognizable with their pieces scattered haphazardly. Benches, flower beds, trees – all broken apart, their fragments strewn in all directions. The air was thick with dust and smoke, and an acrid scent of burnt metal lingered.

"YOU THINK I CARE?!" Griffin summoned his saber, flipping it into his usual reverse grip. He gripped it so tightly that his glove creaked as he took a few powerful strides forward. Without warning, he broke into a run, becoming a black blur as he charged his foe. "ALL I WANT IS TO SEE YOU DEAD!"

"I'm afraid I'm having far too much fun to allow something as trivial as death to bring it to an end!" Control blocked the incoming flurry of swings with his rapier, then kicked Griffin in the sternum and sent him flying backward. As the Red Ranger's back collided with the broken remains of a marble pillar, he brandished his morpher and pressed its button.

"CONTROL FINISH: CHAOS CLASH" Maroon wisps of flame licked the blade of Control's rapier, and he spun it around before gripping it with both hands. With a sideways slash, he launched a wave of purple energy toward an approaching Griffin. The Red Ranger was unfazed, however; he dug in his heels, then pressed the button on his saber to activate his finisher.

"SPYTECH SABER: STAKEOUT SLASH!" He launched his attack, and the two energy waves collided in midair. Both combatants watched intently as their attacks wrestled with one another, eager to see which one would win out. Control's energy wave ultimately absorbed Griffin's, then hurtled towards the Red Ranger. Griffin let out a blood-curdling scream as he was sent flying backward.

"Ranger Red!" Doctor K's voice echoed through Griffin's comm-link as he slammed into a brick wall, the impact forcibly demorphing him. Tiny sparks leaped from a crack in the SpyTech Brace V2, which was now smoking.

"Looks like I broke your new toy...that's a real shame. Still, I collected some precious data from your rampage." Control chuckled, then teleported away with a quick "Adieu~!"

"Wa...wait…!" Griffin weakly sputtered, pulling himself back up. His vision blurred, and his head throbbed as he said, "Where...where are you...going?"

His eyelids grew heavy, and he felt himself drifting into unconsciousness as Doctor K's frantic voice echoed in his earpiece.

"Come in, Ranger Red! What's happening?!... Griffin?!"

Her cries fell on deaf ears as the Red Ranger slumped to the ground, unconscious and defeated…

Kenny let out an exerted grunt with each swing as he slashed wildly at Alt, who easily dodged his attacks.

"Oh my! You seem to be working up quite a sweat, Ranger Blue!" Alt's taunt goaded Kenny into another swing, and the female Avatar sprang forward and blocked it. Their blades collided with a metal thwack, and both combatants dug in their heels as they began grappling for dominance.

Meanwhile, Wendy tightened her grip on her blaster and fired a barrage of lasers at Delete. He deftly dodged most of the incoming projectiles and shrugged off the few that hit him as he readied his whip.

"You seem distracted...or have you lost your touch? Whatever happened to the crack-shot Ranger Yellow I once battled?" Wendy responded by scooping up a nearby sandbag, which she tossed before her. She shot at it, and Delete's vision was obscured by the subsequent sand cloud. "What the?!"

"Coming for ya, bolt-brain!" Wendy blindsided him with a swift punch, then slashed at him with her saber. Delete clumsily avoided her swings, only for the Yellow Ranger to abruptly plant her blaster barrel into his chest and pull the trigger. The robotic general howled in pain as he flew backward. He slammed into a nearby wall but pulled himself back up immediately afterward.

"Bolt-brain's not going down that easily!" Delete snarled, lunging at her with his whip. She used her superagility to dodge his first three swings, but she felt her legs turn to jelly as he reeled his whip back for a fourth. Her blood ran cold as he shouted, "Take THIS!"

"Ahh!" She screamed in pain as he whipped her blaster out of her hands. The discarded weapon landed on the floor and skittered away as Delete retracted his whip, spun it over his head, and swung again.

"Here, have another!" Wendy closed her eyes and braced for impact, but the strike never landed. The crack of Delete's whip was followed by a groan from Kenny, and Wendy opened her eyes again to see the Blue Ranger, who had jumped in front of the attack at the last second. "Wait, what?"

Kenny's biceps glowed green as he grabbed a nearby bookshelf and raised it above his head. With a mighty roar, he hurled the case at Delete, who flailed his arms in a panic.

"Wahhhhhh…!" He whined as the bookshelf crashed into him and sent him flying onto his back. He struggled to pull himself back up but ultimately failed. "Alt, help me…!"

"You pathetic weakling! I'll handle this myself!" Alt charged the Blue Ranger and fired wildly with her pistols. Kenny shrugged off the projectiles, gripped his saber, and sent it through her stomach. She glanced down in confusion as the weapon fizzled through her 'skin,' then looked back up at her adversary with an amused smirk. "I'm an Avatar, remember? This body isn't real."

"Yeah, but I was still able to distract you," Kenny extended his other fist, which he unclasped to reveal a familiar electronic doodad. As Alt recoiled in pain, he added, "Remember Doc's Signal Jammer?"

"You bastard!" Alt gripped her head in her hands as she fell to her knees, screaming in agony. Her 'body' rippled with ones and zeroes, leaving her incapacitated. The Blue Ranger promptly turned his attention to the Xanadroids, which he quickly eliminated, thus clearing a path to the hostages.

"Milly!" Kenny sliced through the ropes binding his girlfriend, then helped her out of the chair. "Get outta here! Go!"

Milly reluctantly obeyed, and once she'd run through a nearby exit, he turned his attention to the Mayor. "Don't worry, Mr. Mayor, you're next. You and your family are gonna be a-o-"

"Getting a bit ahead of yourself, aren't you?" A familiar voice taunted. Kenny's head shot up in recognition, and he turned just in time to see a maroon silhouette teleport behind Wendy. The weakened Yellow Ranger cried out in pain as Control slashed her in the back, knocking her off her feet. The Blue Ranger stood his ground but was no match for the armored Avatar, who teleported closer before jabbing Kenny in the abdomen.

"Kenny!" Wendy watched helplessly from the floor as Control reeled back his arm and struck the Blue Ranger again, this time in the chest. Kenny groaned in pain before slumping to the floor, and the two downed Rangers looked on in horror as Control stomped toward the Mayor.

"Stay back…!" Mayor Gaylyn squirmed in a vain attempt to free himself, then hastily added, "Don't hurt my family!"

"Your family? Curious…" Control turned his attention to the Mayor's wife, who he pointed to with the tip of his rapier. "What is your name, mademoiselle?"

"A-Annette…" She stammered, hesitating for a moment.

"Annette...that's a pretty name," Control turned to the Mayor's daughter, then continued, "And you?"

"Ellie, don't be afraid," Annette said, attempting to reassure her daughter as tears streamed down the young girl's face. "Everything's gonna be alright, sweetheart. I promise!"

"Seems an awfully presumptuous thing to say, no?" Control turned his attention back to the Mayor, whom he addressed by saying, "Say I were to harm Annette and Ellie, hmm? That'd be a most unfortunate turn of events, would it not?"

"I do not negotiate with terrorists!"

"I am no mere terrorist, and if you're calling what you're assuming to be a bluff, you're in for quite a shock." Mayor Gaylyn stuck up his nose, and Control turned back to Annette and Ellie before raising his rapier. "You force my hand, Mr. Mayor!"

"No, no, no, no, wait!" Control lowered his weapon, then glanced back at the Mayor as he said, "...If you let my family go, I'll give you whatever you want…"

"Splendide," Control holstered his weapon, then gestured to the grand hall surrounding them. "Somewhere in this building is a hidden vault full of Energon. I want its location and the passcode to get in."

"You promise you'll leave them alone if I tell you?" Control nodded, and the Mayor reluctantly replied, "...Vault door's behind that mirror on the far wall. Passcode's 0451."

"No…!" Kenny protested weakly from the floor. "Mr. Mayor, you can't!"

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't stand by and watch him hurt my family!"

"You won't have to, provided you didn't just lie to me…" Control made his way over to the mirror, then drew his rapier. With a swift slash, he shattered it, revealing a vault door with an electronic keypad hidden behind it. He typed in the passcode, and the door expelled steam with a hiss as it began to open. "What do you know? You weren't lying."

Control strolled inside, taking note of the various Energon Tanks that lined the vault's interior. He turned his head, then hollered, "Delete! If you're still alive, help me prep this for transport!"

"C-Coming, Control…!" Delete whimpered in pain as he pulled himself back up. He limped into the vault, then started siphoning the Energon from the Tanks and transferring it to an improvised Storage Device he'd wheeled in on a cart. "...We're all set."

"Good. Go ahead and teleport home," Delete nodded. A few moments later, he and the Storage Device faded into ones and zeroes. With the payload secure, Control exited the vault and waved to the Mayor. "Merci pour l'aide! 'Til we meet again, Mayor Gaylyn."

Control mockingly dipped his head, then demorphed before teleporting away. Alt was the last to leave, clawing back to her feet before warping away after her siblings.

"All that Energon…" Wendy crawled over to Kenny, then addressed him by saying, "You don't think it's enough to bring back Venjix, do you?"

"I don't know...but I'm sure we'll find out…"

The metal door to Quincy's abandoned warehouse base buckled as ALPHA flung it open. He helped Quincy inside, but the latter's legs went numb, and he nearly toppled over. He braced himself against a metal table, sending tools and electronic components crashing onto the floor.

"Your meds…!" ALPHA set Quincy down on a leather chair, then spun on his heels and dashed over to a glass cabinet. He reached inside and snatched up an unmarked bottle of pills. After getting into the adjacent mini-fridge and grabbing a water bottle, he handed both to the Gold Ranger. "Take these!"

"Yeah yeah, I'll take 'em in a minute…" Quincy set them down on the table in front of him, then pulled himself back onto his feet. He glanced at a meter on ALPHA's chest, then added, "You're running low on Energon. C'mon, let's get you into sleep mode."

ALPHA reluctantly allowed his creator to lead him to a gurney in the far corner of the room, which he promptly laid down on. The Buddy-Droid made himself comfortable as Quincy limped to a computer terminal and keyed in a series of commands.

"I'll be fine," Quincy assured ALPHA as he hooked him up to the terminal via wires. He checked the terminal's screen to ensure ALPHA's readings were nominal, and once he was sure, he pressed a button to activate sleep mode. As ALPHA's eyes slowly drooped close, he said, "Get some rest, pal. I'll see you in the morning."

With that, Quincy limped back over to the table, where he plopped down in the chair. He hastily opened the pill bottle, downing two of the pills inside before taking a big sip of water. He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply before exhaling through his nose. The searing pain in his skull slowly dissipated, evaporating into a less painful yet still present headache.

After taking a few more deep breaths, he stood up and lumbered to his main computer. He plopped down in his seat, then spoke into its microphone.

"...Computer, make a vid-call to Doctor L. Authorization code: five-four-one, three-six-nine."

"ESTABLISHING LINK: PLEASE WAIT" A blue progress bar appeared on the monitor, slowly filling as Quincy waited with bated breath. "...LINK ESTABLISHED. INITIATING VID-CALL"

The progress bar disappeared and was quickly replaced with the image of a bespectacled scientist in a white lab coat sitting in front of his own computer.

"Doctor Q? You appear to be in...anguish. Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine, L," Quincy said gruffly. "I'm calling in to report."

"I assumed as much," Doctor L replied coolly. "Tell me, how goes your continued involvement with the Ranger Operators?"

"Things have gone...fine. Our recent missions have all gone off without a hitch...or they did until this most recent one," Quincy swallowed thickly, then continued, "We couldn't protect the Mayor from Venjix's generals. They used his family as a bargaining chip and the Mayor gave them Energon in exchange for their safety...I'm not sure how much they walked away with."

Doctor L's brow furrowed as he processed this news, his fingers tapping thoughtfully against his chin. He fixed Quincy with an intent stare as he replied, "That is...troubling, to say the least."

"Whatever Venjix is planning, we'll take care of it," Quincy assured him. "We'll bounce back."

"How can you be so sure?" Doctor L countered. "Things are growing dire, and the increase in familiarity and fondness for the Ranger Operators I sense in your tone isn't helping to boost my confidence. Must I remind you of your mission? Of the Judas Contract?"

"I haven't forgotten. I'm not stupid!" Quincy seethed.

Doctor L took a deep breath before replying, "...I'll relay your report to The Librarian. In the meantime, I'd suggest you reevaluate your emotional attachments and focus on the mission. Goodbye, Doctor Q."

Doctor L's face disappeared from the monitor as he ended the vid-call. Quincy exhaled sharply before grabbing a picture frame off his desk. Inside the frame was a photo of himself, ALPHA, and the other Rangers, smiling and laughing as Doctor K snapped the picture from out of frame.

"Focus on the mission," Quincy's lips creased into a scowl. He gently set the picture frame down before standing from his chair and going to a bed in the opposite corner of his lab. As he laid his head on his pillow, he repeated this mantra to himself, "The mission, the mission, the mission…"

Griffin's eyelids fluttered open the following morning, and all he saw was a blur of bright, sterile light. He groaned, his head pounding with a vengeance, and his defeat at the hands of Control came flooding back to him. He tried to sit up, but a wave of dizziness washed over him, and he collapsed back onto the cold metal gurney. The room spun around him, and he closed his eyes, desperately trying to regain his bearings. When he opened his eyes again, the light had dimmed to a more bearable level. He could just make out the silhouette of a person standing over him. He focused his vision and realized it was Wendy, her fiery red curls framing her face like waterfalls of fire. Realization dawned in her diamond-blue eyes, and she turned to shout at someone else.

"Doc, he's awake!" Doctor K's heels clacked against the lab floor, and Wendy turned back to Griffin and said, "Thank God! I was so worried!"

"You...you're still wearing your dress," Griffin realized, tilting his head. "How...how long have you been-?"

"She's been here over twelve hours, Ranger Red. Came here as soon as we recovered you from the courtyard," Doctor K strolled over to him, standing at his bedside. She thumbed across a readout on her tablet, then continued, "You disabled my ability to monitor you for most of your fight with Control, but through studying your vitals afterward, I've come to the conclusion that you had a massive spike in energy and underwent a sudden shift in demeanor. Care to explain?"

"Yeah, Control, he...he made a morpher. Said he based it on me. He used it, and suddenly I was staring at an evil Ranger with a suit like mine. And then, he grabbed my arm and gave me a new morpher, too…" Griffin's voice trailed off, and he closed his eyes as the memories returned in a rush. "He made me use it, and my suit...turned black. And I got angry... really angry...I don't remember anything else…"

Wendy sensed his distress and said, "That's enough; Doc has everything she needs." Griffin opened his eyes again, and she added, "...Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine…" The Red Ranger stared a hole in the floor, then looked back up at them and asked, "What about everyone else? The civvies, did they make it out?"

"The civilians made it out of city hall safely; however...there was a snag." Doctor K informed him. "Alt and Delete took Milly, Mayor Gaylyn, and his wife and daughter hostage, and Rangers Blue and Yellow tried to rescue them. They succeeded in defeating Alt and Delete, but Control showed up and took advantage of their fatigue...once they were incapacitated, he was free to threaten the Mayor. The Mayor gave him a room full of Energon on a silver platter, and Control and the others got away."

"I...It's all my fault...!" Griffin exclaimed, shaking his head. "If I'd stayed in the ballroom, we all would've been together when things went down, and...and-"

"Don't. Don't do that to yourself," Wendy told him. "This is not your fault. Don't ever say that!"

"Series Yellow is correct." Doctor K echoed. "If anyone from our side is to accept responsibility, it's me. I underestimated Venjix's forces and allowed Felix to send you on this mission without thoroughly considering the stakes...I let you all down, and I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault either, Doc. None of us had any way of knowing," Wendy assured her.

"You're probably right, but I still can't help but feel responsible...anyway, it's time you two went home. I'm sure you're both quite shaken from the events of last night."

"Yeah, right…" Griffin sat up, then peeled the covers off his body before climbing off the gurney. Taking note of his disheveled suit, he said, "Doc, can I use your bathroom? I need to change and get this to the cleaners…"

"Yes, go ahead," She gestured to Wendy before adding, "Ranger Yellow, you're more than welcome to change too before you leave."

"Nah, I'll be fine. My clothes aren't nearly as torn up as his," Wendy laughed despite herself, and she looked at Griffin before saying, "You sure you're gonna be okay…?"

"Yeah. I'm...I'll be fine," Griffin rubbed the back of his head, Quincy's words from the night prior echoing in his mind. 'If you're scared of losing Wendy too, pushing her away ISN'T the answer'… "Wendy, I...about last night…"

"Yeah…?"

"I…" Griffin swallowed thickly. He wanted to tell her about Josie, but couldn't quite find the words. Instead, he gave her a hug and said, "Thanks for the dance."

"...You're welcome," Wendy hugged him back, wrapping her arms around him in a gentle embrace. They remained that way momentarily, lost in each other's warmth. But when she pulled away and turned to leave, a hint of longing lingered in her eyes. "See you tomorrow, blockhead."

"Yeah, later, Carrot Top..." He turned and ambled into Doctor K's living quarters, a slight frown creasing his lips as he grasped the handle to the bathroom door.

Griffin stared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror, replaying the previous night's events in his head. The Founder's Day Ball had changed everything.

- POWER RANGERS: CPU -
Sign up to rate and review this story