Categories > Books > Animorphs > The Progression

CHAPTER 3

by Quillian 4 reviews

First encounter with the Kelbrid...

Category: Animorphs - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Marco - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-07-02 - Updated: 2005-07-03 - 1243 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See Ch. 1.



CHAPTER 3

Marco

"Well, nice to see you're finally awake, Jake."

Rubbing his head, Jake looked around. "Where are we?"

"From what we've gathered, we're in the Kelbrids' custody..." Menderash said, looking slightly nervous as we spoke. Jeanne, Santorelli, and Tobias all concurred with him on this point.

"Well, if we're in their custody, at least it doesn't seem so bad," Santorelli commented.

Actually, I was right. We were in a circular room made of what looked to be like light blue-gray steel or marble, with beds for each of us and a perch for Tobias. About twenty feet above us, the ceiling became concave, ending in a light source. Whether it was a lamp or a window, I wouldn't know.

"They're starting to get good marks as hosts," I commented. "Fed us, fixed us up and everything."

Well, thank you, Marco.

A voice, not much unlike an Andalite's thought-speech or a Leeran's telepathy, subtly reverberated throughout the room.

"Uh... you're welcome," I said in a small voice.

Actually, we have something to thank you for, too, the voice said in a kindly way, like something you'd expect from a psychologist or grandfatherly figure. You helped deal a serious blow to The One.

"What's all this about The One?" Jake asked.

The Kelbrid voice seemed to sigh. The One leads hordes of aliens who are like religious fanatics, based on the ruins of the Yeerk Empire. They consist of the remaining evil Yeerks, plenty of Skrit Na, and Norshk pirates and other various Norshk criminals. Since our truce with the Andalites didn't apply to them, they took advantage of this to use our territory to hide from the Andalites. They are now essentially a cult, not too much unlike some cults found on Earth.

Tobias enquired.

You might not believe how often radio signals from Earth are fired deep into space, and we receive a majority of them. You could say that we get good reception where we live. We were certainly overjoyed to hear of the end of the Yeerk War and the crumbling of the Yeerk Empire. In fact, the Yeerk War was more or less the reason we made the truce with the Andalites.

An awkward silence followed that. "What do you mean by that?" Menderash demanded.

We did not wish to get caught up on either side of the war, with the Andalites /or /the Yeerks. Like humans, Andalites, or just about any sentient race in the galaxy, for that matter, we are a sentient race who became hostile when threatened. Hence, the truce with the Andalites. However...

Here, at this point, none of us felt very comfortable.

We wish to do away with the truce with the Andalites. As a matter of fact, we may need to work with them to vanquish The One. We will excuse War-prince Aximili for his presence in our territories, since he was held captive against his will. Likewise, Menderash, you are also forgiven for your trespass, since you helped defeat The One for now. We know you are a now a /nothlit stuck as a human, but that can be considered debatable, since you were an Andalite originally. Either way, it is pointless to debate on that, since you are forgiven./

"Thank you," Menderash said quietly, for lack of anything better to say.

You're certainly welcome. In fact, we can repay you for your deeds and sacrifices...

Just then, a small part of the circular wall became all wavy, like water's surface, but still the same color as the rest of the wall. Ever watch Stargate and see the rippling, liquid-like surface inside the ring which people and objects can move through? Well, it was basically like that.

Something long, thin and metallic emerged from the surface, ending in what looked like a sort of radar dish. With a faint humming sound, it tilted to face Menderash, but before he or any of us could react, it shot a distinct orange beam at him.

He shuddered as an orange aura surrounded him, but did not move or scream in pain. A moment later, before our very eyes, he morphed back into the Andalite he once was, and now was again.

The beam faded, and the device retracted back into the wall, which subsequently became solid again.

Menderash looked ecstatic on being an Andalite again.

It will be as though you never were a /nothlit/, Menderash. You made such a sacrifice to save Prince Aximili. And speaking of which...


The middle of the floor suddenly took on the same liquid appearance, and out of it rose our old friend Ax. Once he was entirely on our level, the surface became solid again. However, he looked to be asleep or unconscious.

He has been recuperating under our care after possession by The One. He should be awakening any moment now...

And as if on cue, Ax woke up.

He took a good look around with all four of his Andalite eyes, taking everything in.

"Long story short, Ax: The Kelbrid rescued us, fixed us up, forgave the trespass into their territory, and now are considering working with humans and Andalites to stop The One."

It took a moment for him to take this all in, but then Ax finally relaxed. Judging by how he acted, I supposed that the disembodied Kelbrid voice reiterated for him in private communication.

Ax said out loud, addressing the Kelbrid.

Once again, you're welcome.

Becoming serious again, the voice addressed us all again.

The One is the leader of his cult, and can control and possess people. However, he - or, more appropriately, /it /- is not a Yeerk, nor a member of any other species which humans, Andalites or Kelbrid may be familiar with. He cannot die easily, and will not give up. He has been a mortal enemy for us Kelbrid for much too long, and now poses a threat to the entire galaxy, if not the entire universe.

A portion of the wall next to Jake became "liquefied" again, and out popped two metallic arms, each holding small discs in dark plastic covers. One arm extended a disc out to Jake, and the other did the same with Ax.

Jake, you will need to give this disc to your United Nations, and Aximili, you will need to do the same with your Electorate. It is crucial that they be delivered as soon as possible.

Both Jake and Ax accepted their respective discs, and the arms receded back into the wall, which became "solid" again after that. The moment after that, what looked like an archway formed in a section of the wall, and receded to form a hallway.

This will lead you back to your ship, the /Rachel/. We took the liberty of restocking it with edible grass, fruits, vegetables and meat. Time is of the essence. Farewell for now. Hurry!

We didn't need to be told twice.



TBC...

A/N: I imagined the Kelbrid to be somewhat like humans, in that they're overall good, but harsh, violent and hostile when necessary. Well, okay, I imagined it for the sake of this story, but hey, I'm using my creative license here.

Next part is where the humans and Andalites go back to their respective home worlds to pass along the messages... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story