Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Red

Coral

by S_J_Smith 0 reviews

Winry Rockbell doesn't like the color red.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Edward Elric, Winry Rockbell - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-10-01 - Updated: 2006-10-01 - 312 words

1Ambiance
Disclaimer: Hiromu Arakawa owns it all. I'm just playing in her universe.

Written for the first Color_i_fic challenge.

A.N.: Prequel to the "Marking Time" story.

Chapter One: Coral

*

Pinako Rockbell peered through her glasses at her granddaughter. She remembered all too well being Winry's age, having young men ask her out, the giddiness of it all. But for a girl getting clothing together to go to the big city, Winry didn't seem quite as excited as Pinako thought she should. And she didn't quite understand it, either.

The dressmaker was showing off her best wares, pretty fabrics that flowed and shimmered. She chatted knowledgeably about the latest styles and fashions. She listened to the reason Winry was going to Central and suggested an outfit or two, pointing out specific patterns that would be attractive and sophisticated without being too old for a young woman. And finally, Winry decided what she'd like to have, so all that needed for the work to be started was the choice of fabrics and colors.

The dressmaker brought out swatches of fabrics, laying them out for Pinako and Winry to inspect. She raised up one, placing it against Winry's arm. "This would look beautiful on you, dear," she said, "this coral color is so rich and with your coloring, it definitely suits you."

Winry eyed the fabric like she might a washer that somehow had gotten in with the screws. "No," she said politely, "thank you."

Later, when they left the dressmaker, Pinako said, "You know, she was right, Winry. That fabric was lovely and it would've looked very nice on you. Why didn't you want it?"

Winry raised her head, staring off at the sky. It was clear and blue, not a blemish to be seen. Her own eyes held the clouds as she said, "I won't wear red, Granny. That's Ed's color."

*
Sign up to rate and review this story