Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Red

Ruby

by S_J_Smith 0 reviews

Winry Rockbell doesn't like the color red.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Edward Elric, Winry Rockbell - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-10-01 - Updated: 2006-10-01 - 303 words

0Unrated
*

Sometimes, Winry thought she knew as much about the Philosopher's Stone as the Elric brothers. Alphonse had shown up on the Rockbell doorstep, a soul encased in armor, cradling his maimed brother in his arms and after they realized Edward was going to live, and Edward realized he was going to live, the Philosopher's Stone was the brothers' quest. Their hope. Maybe even their reason for living.

Now, Edward lay in a hospital bed, his automail arm across her lap so she could complete the repairs necessary for him to have use of it again. He spoke quietly to her, his head turned away, explaining to her why he hadn't been able to return Al to his body; what he'd found out about the stone's composition.

"I couldn't...not even for Al." He tilted his head, his hair falling over his eyes to shade them further from her gaze. "The thing is, Winry, it's beautiful. The imperfect stone is the same color as a ruby. It almost glows."

Her hands shook and she stopped tightening a bolt.

"Winry?" Lifting himself slightly, Ed turned so he could look at her.

Winry forced a smile. "This isn't threading correctly," she told him, laying a fingertip on the bolt. "Let me see what else I have to work with." She bent over her toolbox, rummaging through the parts and pieces to avoid Edward's eyes. All she could think was the Philosopher's Stone was made of death.

"I just hope I can make Al understand," he said, almost as if he could read her mind.

Winry took a new bolt from its sterilized pouch, settling it into place. She was proud that her voice held steady as she said, "I'm sure you can, Ed. If you can explain it to me, you can explain it to Al."

*
Sign up to rate and review this story