Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Box

The Box

by lucyej 0 reviews

Whoever thought that a simple box could take you on the adventure of a lifetime...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Published: 2006-10-03 - Updated: 2006-10-03 - 372 words

0Unrated
The box was really very pretty, Mary decided. It sat on the ground, with intricate carvings patterned around the edges, and a golden latch that just begged to be opened. Its wood was a faded bown colour, and there were markings of mud and dirt that tarnished it, but it that didn\'t seem to taint the beauty and allure that the exquisite box had.\n\nMary had been planting flowers in the garden when she found it. Half buried in the soil, covered with flowers and plants that had wrapped themselves around it over time. She dug it out of the ground, which was harder that it looked at first glance, and took it into her room. \n\nShe was quite curious as to what could be in this box. It could, of course just be filled with junk, photos and toys and other items of that sort, but Mary, being a young girl, didn\'t believe this. She had read about treasure, buried treasure that always turned up in the most unlikely of places. She believed that she was deserving of treasure, having lived a boring life she longed for adventure like the girls in the books. She was excited to open it; if only she knew how!\n\nAfter fiddling around with the latch for a little while, it finally popped open. Mary could hardly contain her excitement; she opened the lid of the box slowly to find - a necklace. She let out a breath she didn\'t know she had been holding. One necklace. To her, it hardly seemed worth the effort. It wasn\'t even that pretty, just a long, silver chain with a single green pendant on it.\n\n\"Mary, time for dinner!\" Her mother called. She sighed, she had done all that work for nothing, and she didn\'t even finish her work in the garden! She decided to put it on anyway, no point in wasting it, and it did match the color of her eyes.\n\nMary placed the necklace around her neck, and fastened the clasp. All of a sudden she had a feeling something strange was going to happen. Her vision wavered, and the last thing she felt was a tug in the pit of her stomach, before she lost consciousness.
Sign up to rate and review this story