Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Flipped: A different Inuyasha story

Episode 1: Misunderstandings

by animecrazedgirl 3 reviews

A terrible betrayal in the Feudal Era and how a normal 17 year old turns into far from normal...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Inuyasha,Kagome,Rin,Sesshoumaru - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-09-02 - Updated: 2007-08-15 - 3696 words - Complete

1Original
A/N: Hiya guys! I've been thinking of this idea for a while and I finally decided it's about time to put it on paper! I've already got about 9 chapters already written and the 10th's a work in progress! Each chapter is a least 3000 words long and my chapter's are usually 1000 words long so no complaining about the length! You're getting a special treat with this story! Now I want to let you know before hand that this story will not be exactly like the Inuyasha show! There will be a lot of things I will make up in such, like I might replace some characters in the regular anime with new characters and there will be similarities! But there will be a lot of differences too, okay? Good! Plus, do not complain about any grammar or spelling mistakes I make! I don't have spell check! I only have the wordpad program so I don't want any whining about that, okay? Okay! Now, here is the 1st chapter for your enjoyment!

------

Edited: February 21, 2007

A/N: Please enjoy this new and, hopefully, better version...

-------

Japanese Vocabulary:

inuhanyou: dog half demon

Obaa-chan: Grandmother

Onii-chan: Older Brother

Kitsune: Fox

Tanuki: Raccoon-dog, tricksters much like foxes in Japanese myth

Name:

Inushiro: White Dog

-------

Episode 1: Misunderstandings

Sengoku Jidai(Feudal Era): Japan

The sun lay high in the sky above the village. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and all seemed well on this fine day as the everyday occurrences of the village drifted through the air. All was peaceful. . . . Suddenly, a villager's shout shattered the serenity of the village as they burst from the forest.

"Look out!" he cried. "It's Kagome!"

Not even a second later, a girl of about 15 burst from the dense greenery of the forest. Her long black hair blew behind her as she leapt high in the air and her light brown eyes were filled with betrayal and anger. Her fangs were bared and her claws were hidden by the billowing sleeves of her kimono that trailed behind her. The kimono, reaching mid thigh, was as green as the foliage she had just burst from while a darker green bordered the sleeves and bottom. She had a white under kimono underneath that seemed to be tinged with the lightest of brown if you looked at it right, with an obi of the same color. Her feet, unlike the villagers, were not covered by footwear. Most unusual of all, though, were the two pointy black dog ears, flattened against her head, so that they were barely visible among the raven locks.

The girl, seeming to be Kagome, hearing the man, said with an irritated shout," Shut up! I'm not in the mood for your screaming!"

She leapt on to the roofs of the huts, pushing off them as she traveled to the largest hut in the village. Reaching her destination, she burst in, startling the elderly man, inside.

"Where is he?!" she cried out.

"Wh-What?" said the man.

"Where's that bastard traitor?" she said.

"M-My son isn't here", said the man, obviously frightened by the angry female inuhanyou, that stood before him. "He we-went out into the fo-forest."

Kagome's face hardened in fury. "That coward!" she roared.

She spun around to leave when a glinting light caught her eye. Laying on a pedestal, on the far right wall, was a round night blue gem attached to a light blue diamond chain, and giving off an unearthly aura.

She gazed at it, entranced before she smirked as a thought entered her mind. 'Of course. I'll take the jewel. Now that he's betrayed me, there's no point in staying here.' Her eyes grew wet as she thought of him but she quickly blinked it away, hiding the emotion.

She snatched the jewel and the elderly man cried out, fearfully," No! What are you doing? You can't take the Celestial Jewel!"

"Just shut up, Headman!" she shouted, as she rushed out of the hut, feeling the jewel radiating with its power.

She leapt away from the Headman's hut and towards the forest, using the huts around her as pushing off points. As she leapt through the forest, she thought,' How dare he! How dare he betray me! How could he?!' Then, she saddened, as she thought,' But most of all... why?' She was not able to complete her thoughts, when a cry filled the air.

"KAGOME!"

Suddenly, she heard a zooming noise and she felt a pain in her chest as her back collided with the large tree behind her.

"Ah!" she cried out, eyes shut tight, as she felt the jewel slip from her fingers.

Her head bent, she opened her eyes to be met with a familiar sword, sticking from her chest. Then she looked up, and her past sorrow was turned into wide eyed disbelief.

A few feet away, a boy of no more than 19 stood. His very unusual, waist length, white-blond hair, blew gently in the soft breeze giving a certain air about him. His golden-brown eyes usually calm and emotionless, now flashed with fiery anger and betrayal, much like Kagome. His mouth was drawn into a firm line and his eyes were narrowed more than usual. Clothing his body, was a simple white kimono with a red stripe on his left shoulder, and a red obi around his waist, holding a now empty sheath at his side. On his feet, were simple black sandals.

"Se-Sesshoumaru", she said, face almost seeming hurt as she reached out a hand. "But. . . How could. . . I mean, I thought. . ." Then her eyes closed, as she fell into unconsciousness.

Sesshoumaru limped towards the jewel, collapsing when he reached it. The right side of his kimono was ripped, revealing 5 deep gashes, pouring blood. He grabbed the jewel, wincing slightly as it stretched his wound. His breathing also seemed a bit struggled as if he had been running for a long while.

The bushes surrounding the clearing rustled, as a young girl of about 7, came bursting out. Her shoulder length black hair had a side ponytail on the right side of her head while the rest of it lay down in layers. Her large brown eyes were filled with concern and worry as she looked around for the source of her search. She wore a checked yellow and orange kimono reaching mid-shin.

Finally, she spied who she was looking for and her eyes widened. She ran to Sesshoumaru's side, falling to her knees as she cried," Sesshoumaru Onii-chan! What's wrong? Are you okay?" Her eyes widened once more, when she saw the blood pouring from his side, staining the ground beneath them. "Sesshoumaru Onii-chan! You're hurt! You need to go to the heal-"

"No Rin", he interrupted," I don't have much time left."

"But... Sesshoumaru Onii-chan. . . .", she said.

"No", he replied," Now I need you to listen to me, Rin. I need you to go to the village and tell Father to have my body burned with this."

A gasp escaped Rin's lips as she saw the object in his hand. "That's the Celestial Jewel."

"Yes, I know", he said," Now Rin, you have to give Father my message."

"But. . . why?" she said, sadly.

Sesshoumaru looked at her and sighed. "This jewel... The Celestial Jewel... It is very powerful and it attracts all kinds of demon. I will no longer be here to protect it and it is my duty to keep it out of the wrong hands... Do you understand?"

Rin nodded, tears filling her eyes, though she desperately wished that for once he was lying to her.

Sesshoumaru's breath was now ragged and could easily be heard. Suddenly, he held the jewel tightly, as he gritted his teeth and closed his eyes in pain. Then, his face relaxed and as he collapsed, Rin cried out, tears streaming down her face," Sesshoumaru Onii-chan!"

----------------------------

Modern Era: Tokyo, Japan; more than 500 years later; Taisho shrine

"Inuyasha!"

The young teen's head shot up as he looked around. "What? Huh? What happened?" He turned to look at the person who had caused him to awaken.

The elderly woman was sitting cross-legged wearing ancient priestess robes from a time that had long since passed. Her long gray hair was pulled into a low ponytail, the style of a priestess, with a white ribbon pulling it back. Her face was wrinkled and old, her one visible eye brown, the other one having been concealed by an eye patch. She was holding a blue jewel key chain in one hand, as she looked agitatedly at her grandson.

The boy's strange, white-blond hair, tickled the tops of his shoulders, two forelocks in front of his ears. His golden-brown eyes, were half lidded as he looked at his grandmother, sleepily, from being interrupted from his doze. A red t-shirt, with 'Bite me' inscribed in black on the front, clothed his torso, while slightly baggy black jeans finished up the outfit.

"Inuyasha", she scolded him," This is ancient family history. Must you fall asleep every single time?"

"Yeah", the disgruntled teen replied," It's boring, in case you haven't noticed, Obaa-chan."

The woman sighed and said," Well this story isn't boring. The Celestial Jewel was a powerful jewel back in the Feudal Era. It's known that..."

"Mm-hm", said Inuyasha, not really listening. "Mm-hm."

He felt something nuzzle his hand and looked down to see his dog. He had thick white fur coating his body with unusual golden eyes peering up at him, a lot like himself. Two pointy white dog ears twitched on his head, his pink tongue hanging out, as he stared up at him.

Inuyasha scratched his head in between his ears and said," Hey Inushiro."

Inushiro laid down and let his eyes close. His tongue lolled out as he panted, giving him the appearance of grinning. Inuyasha smiled and chuckled to himself at the dog's expression.

"Inuyasha", his grandmother said, irritated once again," Are you even listening?"

"Nope", said Inuyasha. "Come on Obaa-chan. Everyone knows it's just some old made-up fairytale."

The old woman's eyes narrowed, looking apalled. "Our family history is not just some 'old made-up fairytale!'"

"Come on, Obaa-chan", he said," No body believes in demons and magical jewels anymore."

His grandmother, finally sighed, exasperating. " Alright, I give up!"

Inuyasha grinned in achievement and got up from his spot on the floor to go into the house.

"My name's Inuyasha Taisho. I've lived on this old shrine for about 10 years with my Obaa-chan, Mom, and a little brat of a sister, Tia. My Mom and I moved in with my Obaa-chan when my Dad died just before my sister was born. My Obaa-chan's real name is Kaede Taisho. She's lived here and worked as the priestess on these grounds her whole life, since it's been passed down for generations. My Mom's Izaiyoi Taisho. She's great. Cool, laid-back, listens to your problems, and almost always knows the right things to say. Then, there's the brat, my little sister, Tia Taisho. Ten years old and the incarnate of evil. Sometimes I swear she must have been switched at birth and must really be the spawn of Satan with the way she loves to torture me. But anyway, back to the point. Living on this shrine, my Obaa-chan tells tons of stories. Demons, Priestesses, Goddesses, magical jewels, you name it. I'd never really ever believed any of those old stories she would tell, I mean, who in their right mind would? But the point is, I never believed any of it... until my 17th birthday... "

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Inuyasha groaned with his head under the pillow and reached around until he finally turned off the alarm clock by his bed. His hand dropped down by the side of the bed, having turned off the offending noise. He lay there trying to go back to sleep, but finally after a while of being unsuccessful, he admitted defeat and got out of bed. He stretched, letting out a yawn and took a quick shower before putting on his school uniform which was a white, short sleeved, button up, collared shirt, with a tie hanging loosely around his neck. Tan pants clothed his bottom half along with sneakers. Not exactly his kind of thing but it was his school uniform. So what can you do? At least he could wear his sneakers. Then, he grabbed his bag and went downstairs.

Izaiyoi, or Mom as she was more often called, was at the stove with her back to him. She had long black hair, pulled into a low ponytail and dark blue eyes. She had red lips which always seemed to be curved into a smile. Her outfit consisted of her usual baggy purple t-shirt and blue jeans.

"Morning Mom", he said.

His little sister sat at the table and said," Oh look who slept in again. Mr. I'm too lazy to get up on time for once."

His little sister, Tia, the incarnate of evil. The only thing that just kept him from believing his switched at birth theory was that she looked too much like their Mom. She had the same black hair, laying just past her shoulders. The same dark blue eyes and her lips were the same red, if not a bit lighter. She had long lashes and she almost always had a smart or sarcastic remark to dish out.

"Shut up, brat", Inuyasha growled.

"Ooh", said Tia, sarcastically," Great comeback."

Inuyasha growled to which Tia replied," Grrrrrr to you too."

"Knock it off, you two", Izaiyoi said," Can't you both just get along for once?"

"No", they said at the same time, causing Izaiyoi to sigh. "What am I gonna do with you guys?" She placed down their breakfast. "Here you go."

Inuyasha immediately dug in while Tia muttered," What a pig."

"Shut up", Inuyasha mumbled, through his mouth full of food.

"Inuyasha, don't talk with your mouth full", said Izaiyoi.

Inuyasha swallowed and said," Sorry, mom."

Tia finished breakfast before him because her school started a good 15 minutes before his. She grabbed her bag, slipping on her shoes at the door. "See ya!"

"Bye!" said Izaiyoi.

Inuyasha finished his breakfast and got up, putting them in the sink. He kissed Izaiyoi on the cheek and left for the door, pack on his shoulder. "Bye mom! See ya after school!"

"Bye, Sweetheart!" she called after.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes at the name but smiled. He opened the door and went outside. He went to go down the stairs but Inushiro ran past him, almost making him topple over. He regained his balance and turned just in time to see the white dog, take off into the woods.

"Inushiro!" he shouted, but Inushiro had already disappeared. After a quick moment or two of indecision, he took off into the forest.

He walked through the dense foilage until he caught a glimpse of white and ran towards it. "Inushiro!" He pushed through the trees and branches until he reached a clearing. He saw Inushiro sitting in the middle of the clearing. "Inushiro! What were you thi-" but then he spied what Inushiro was sitting by.

It was a wooden well that looked extremely old. Ivy crawled up its sides and the wood seemed sort of splintered in some places. He walked up to it, Inushiro moving out of the way, as the teenage boy went to look down into it's depths. It was dark and Inuyasha squinted his eyes trying to see down. After seeing nothing, he started to turn away but a flicker of light caught his eye and he turned to look again. He thought he saw it again and he leaned farther. . . .

. . . when suddenly he felt something push him. His arms swung around as he tried to keep his balance but he fell down face first into the depths.

"Ah!" Inuyasha cried out.

A flash of purple came from the well and Inuyasha was gone. Behind where Inuyasha once stood, Inushiro sat contentedly, satisfied, at a job well done.

------------------------

Inuyasha was floating in, some kind of, purple void, and was shocked out of his mind. Suddenly, the purple void dissipated into the well walls and he was dropped none to gently onto the floor.

"Ouch!" he said, as his head made contact with the floor with a clunk. He sat up and rubbed it, one eye closed in pain. "Ow. That hurt." Inuyasha looked up and saw the sky above him. "What just happened? I could have sworn I was surrounded by a purple light..." He shook his head and looked around. "Whatever. I guess I should find out how to get out of here."

He spied some leafy, green, vines, intertwined on the side of the well. "That'll do." He grabbed on, tugging to make sure it would hold his weight, then started to make his way up. He reached the top and pulled himself up, lifting his legs over the side, turned towards the well. Then he turned around but noticed that the forest seemed to be a bit denser and Inushiro was no where in sight. "Now where'd he run off to?" Inuyasha shrugged. "Oh well. Guess I should be heading back. I'm probably going to be late for school now."

He walked off into the dense greenery and pushed aside the bushes and branches. "I don't remember it being so thick before. I guess I wasn't paying attention." He pushed his way through until he came to a clearing in the forest, with a large tree. He was going to walk right past it but a flash of black and green on the brown bark, caught his eye. He turned his head and was shocked at what he saw. 'There's a. . .It's a. . .'

". . . girl", he said, softly, eyes widened, slightly.

There was indeed a girl, on the tree, wrapped in vines, with waves of long black hair spread out beneath her. An ancient green kimono clothed her, only reaching to her mid thigh. Her eye color was unknown, hidden by closed lids and long lashes, while her face looked calm and peaceful, and her skin gave a soft glow.

'Whoa', he thought, his heart pounding slightly,' she's. . .' He felt a light blush consume his cheeks. 'Argh! What the hell am I thinking?! What is this weird girl doing to me?!'

Angrily, he walked up to the girl, stepped up on to the roots and glared at her face. "Stupid girl", he muttered. He looked up and his eyes widened. On top of her head, nestled behind her bangs. . . were two ebony dog ears, that due to being the same color as her hair, he had overlooked them. He stared at them curiously. 'This girl can't get any weirder.' He looked down and thought,' I take that back. She can get weirder.'

Sticking from the girl's chest, the left side of her chest, was a rusted sword, its black hilt looking quite worn, with three red diamond figures embedded in its side, yet. . . . by the rise and fall of her chest, and the air coming from her nose, she was quite clearly breathing. "I wonder if that hurts." He reached out to grab the sword when suddenly, arrows whistled through the air, causing Inuyasha to freeze as they barely missed him by inches.

Realizing that the onslaught of arrows had stopped, he turned to see many people in peasant clothing. "What the. . . . ."

Next thing Inuyasha knew, he had been bound by his wrists and feet, had been carried away, and was now, in the middle of this freaky village, on his knees with all these people dressed in peasent clothing, whispering about him. He caught some of the comments.

"Look how strange he looks. . . Could he be a demon?"
"No. Look at his ears. He's human."
"He could be a demon in disguise."
"How strange."
"His hair color's much like that of the Headman's son all those years ago."
"Perhaps it's a Kitsune or Tanuki who disguised themselves only to appear like that."
"Nah. Kitsune and Tanuki are smarter than that."
"Maybe he's a really stupid one?"

Inuyasha found himself glaring at the villager who made the last comment, who as a result shrunk away in fear. Inuyasha snorted, darting his eyes around the crowd. 'Where am I and why are all the people dressed so weird? They dress kind of like that girl...'

Suddenly, the crowd hushed down, parting as a young woman in her early 20's came out of the crowd. She had long black hair just past her shoulders in layers but with a small ponytail in the middle of her head, giving her an innocent, childlike appearance. She had large, dark brown eyes, only adding to her childish look and wore a kimono like the peasants but a bit more formal. It was dark blue with a simple red flower design on it with simple sandals, covering her feet. As she looked at him, her eyebrows lifted in slight surprise.

"White hair", she murmured," Such an unusual color." She kneeled down and grabbed his chin looking at his eyes. "Golden eyes. Also unusual." She turned his face to the left, and then to the right before letting go of his face. "You could be Sesshoumaru Onii-chan's double." Inuyasha glared at her. "Except you have a more straightfoward, fiery appearance about you, when Sesshoumaru Onii-chan had more of a cool, calm aura about him."

Finally, Inuyasha said," I don't know who you are lady but I don't really enjoy being tied up like this and who's this Sesshoumaru person you keep blabbing about?"

She looked at him, squinting, as if looking for something nobody else could see, before her eyes widened and her eyebrows shot up. "I don't believe it."

-------------------------------

A/N: I hope you enjoyed the 1st chap and I want to know what you think before I add the next chap! Also, could you please tell me about your stories too? Thanks! I love fanfics! They are just awesome! I'd love to read yours! So, please REVIEW! I'll be waiting!
Sign up to rate and review this story