Categories > Original > Romance > Soap Gum

I can't believe he's leaving part II

by teapot 1 review

'I remember the how we met. It was the first day of daycare, he was the strange, shy boy who liked bugs, and I was the over active little girl who asked too many unnecessary questions. It was lunc...

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2005-07-05 - Updated: 2005-07-06 - 1330 words

1Moving
It's been half an hour since I went to the candy shop and bought a pack of soap gum for David. My mom came back from the grocery store and is now making a bowl of Gelatin brand jell-o. I'm just sitting in the kitchen watching Tom and Jerry on the mini black and white TV. I hope David gets here soon, or else I'm going to eat his gum. Though at the same time I hope he doesn't come, because that would mean that he's not moving. David promised me that he'd come visit me before he left for the airport. David hasn't broken a promise to me yet.

I could hear the soft clank of the glass bowl being placed in the fridge, I also heard my mother sigh. It wasn't a normal sigh either; it was her 'I'm going to say something that's going to make the situation worse' sigh. "I wish I would have made the jell-o sooner. Then you and David could have some of it for the last time ever." My mother said, thinking that I was probably too caught up in Tom and Jerry to hear what she had said.

Out of all the rotten things that my mother has said after her 'I'm going to make the situation worse sigh', she had just hit rock bottom with this. I felt tears begging to escape my eyes. I usually never respond to my mother after she says something like this, but this was a special time. "DON'T SAY THAT!" I yelled, tears rolling away like tumble weed down my face. "Don't say that this is the last time I'll ever see David again!" I shouted angrily.

"Well I'm sorry sweetie, but you know as much as I do that there isn't a very big chance that you'll see David again." She said calmly, willing to overlook the fact that I was yelling at her. I covered my ears with my hands and went into the backyard. As soon as the cool February wind hit me, I scrabbled to the little wooden tree house that my dad made me when I was six. I climbed up rope ladder, saying something that David and I said when we where sad.

"Tweedledee and Tweedledum have drank a bit to much rum." I repeted that over and over again. Once I got into the little wooden tree house, I turned on the little black radio in the corner. In the end my Linkin Park was playing. It was my favorite song. I just sat by the window and sang the lyrics, as tears fell down my cheeks.
(It starts with) One thing -I don't know why It doesn't even matter how hard you try Keep that in mind -I designed this rhyme To explain in due time All I know time is a valuable thing Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings Watch it count down to the end of the day The clock ticks life away It's so unreal Didn't look out below Watch the time go right out the window Trying to hold on -but didn't even know Wasted it all just to Watch you go I kept everything inside and even though I tried -it all fell apart What it meant to me -will eventually be a memory -of a time when I tried so hard And got so far But in the end It doesn't even matter I had to fall To lose it all But in the end It doesn't even matter One thing -I don't know why It doesn't even matter how hard you try Keep that in mind I designed this rhyme
To remind myself how I tried so hard In spite of the way you were mocking me Acting like I was part of your property Remembering all the times you fought with me I'm surprised it got so (far) Things aren't the way they were before You wouldn't even recognize me anymore Not that you knew me back then But it all comes back to me In the end You kept everything inside and even though I tried -it all fell apart What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I I tried so hard And got so far But in the end It doesn't even matter I had to fall To lose it all But in the end It doesn't even matter I've put my trust in you Pushed as far as I can go For all this There's only one thing you should know I've put my trust in you Pushed as far as I can go For all this There's only one thing you should know I tried so hard And got so far But in the end It doesn't even matter I had to fall To lose it all But in the end It doesn't even matter

As the song faded away and Another Brick in the Wall came on, I heard clapping. I turned around and saw my black haired, blue eyed best friend. "I always told you that you're going to be famous one day. When that day comes, I can say that I have you on tape and that I supported you before you where a huge celebrity." David said, grinning. I wiped my tears away and smiled at him. He always knew what to say to make me smile even on a sad occasion.

"Why are you crying?" David asked me, clearly very worried. "It's nothing, something my evil mom said made me upset." I said, reaching into my pocket to find the pack of gum. Once I found the gum I chucked it at him. "Awwwwe! You bought me a parting gift." David said, going to eat the gum, but I stopped him and said; "Don't eat all of it now. You never know what junk they call candy in France." I scolded playfully. "Alrighty then, I think we should eat a piece now and a piece when I come back." David said bravely, while posing like Peter Pan.

I could tell that David was miserable too; by the way he tried so hard to make me feel so bubbly. He gave me a piece of soap gum, and then took a piece for himself. We just sat there in silence for few moments, until I asked him a question that was so important; his answer will always remain with me. "Will you come back and take me away from this place?" I asked, the seriousness written all over my face. "Of course, my fair lady." He replied, trying to lighten the mood.

I know what your thinking, David can be very mature for he age (which he is around everyone except me), and he can be really silly (which he is around only me). David can also be very charming, sweet, caring, and- WAIT! I sound like Gina-Rose when she's with her 'study group'. Which in this case means, an excuse to let mom to allow her to have friends over for a long time on school nights.

"David I need you to promise me that you'll come back for me one day." I told him. David smiled a big smile and said "Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye." "What about the other eye?" I asked. "Dear God lady, do you want to blind me?" He teased, but said what he knew I wanted to hear. "Fine, stick a needle in both my eyes. Now do you want to go to the park to go swing?" he asked. I just nodded and we ran to the park across the street.
*

When David's parents came to pick him up so they could go to the airport, he gave me an envelope with a typed out letter and an acorn kiss in it.

Hey Alex!
Don't you dare forget me!
From froggy man a.k.a David.


Sign up to rate and review this story