Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Lurking in the Shadows

Glimpse Into the Future

by panda_1418 4 reviews

I rack my mind for how this could have happened. You would think I could be able to remember the people and place I love being completely obliterated.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Horror - Published: 2006-10-16 - Updated: 2006-10-16 - 1001 words

2Original
Pure, perfect snowflakes fall from the grey sky and settle in my hair. I stumble around the wreckage, confused. How did this happen? Why can't I remember how I got here? Is the loss of sleep affecting my mind?

It's so cold, but I barely notice. Broken shards of metal and glass and wood splinters attack my feet as I stammer through them, leaving deep, bleeding scratches across my bare skin. Eventually, the snow numbs my feet and I become oblivious to the pain.

Suddenly, I notice a crumpled figure. Hope surges through me as I rush through what remains of my home to the still form. I stop a few feet from the figure and gasp. A strangled sob escapes my throat as I look away. Tears blur my vision as I turn and run away from the bloody, green-robed body. I rack my mind for how this could have happened. You would think I could be able to remember the people and place I love being completely obliterated.

I don't know how much time has passed. All I know is I've left the ruins of the Academy far behind as I wander aimlessly through the snow. I don't know what I'm searching for, if I'm searching for anything. Clues, maybe? To who could have done this.

"How's she doing?"

I whirl around, searching for the source of the voice. But all I see is snow and a faint cloud of smoke spiraling up from what was once the Academy. No one's there.

"The doctors are doing everything they can, man. We'll just have to wait and see."

Again, I spin around, faster this time, looking for the speaker. Speakers. Who are they and why are they toying with me? Or maybe I'm imagining it. Maybe I'm going crazy. Suddenly, I look up and realize I'm at the lake a few minutes from the Academy. Julius and I used to come here all the time in the winter. The memories bring tears to my eyes.

Wait ...

I see something! I see people! Four of them, on the opposite side of the lake. As I begin to run, I pray that it's Julius, Nosey, Ursula and Emmet. Then I won't be alone in my grief. But ... something's not right. One figure falls, revealing another standing behind it. Then the one to the right of the fallen one crumples. Again, there is another person concealed behind it. Panic takes over and I break into a sprint.

"Something's wrong! She's ... she's going crazy! Get a doctor!"

The second last person drops as I begin to make out their features. Emmet, Ursula and Nosey are laying on the snow that is quickly turning red around them. I can see four black-cloaked figures standing above them, each holding swords. The fifth one I can see is Julius.

"Julius!" I want to scream, but can't. For some reason my voice has deserted me.

The cloaked person in front of him raises its sword. I try to run faster, but I can't. I'm too late. I'm too late. He's gone. The four murderers suddenly vanish, leaving behind only their victims. My run slows to a jog. My jog slows to a staggered walk. My knees being to wobble and I feel lightheaded.

"Do something, man! She's, like, wigging out!"

I don't see the tree root that trips me. My face lands in the cold snow. I am freezing, but I can't get up. Just let me die here, I can't live anymore. Everything and everyone I ever cared about is gone. I close my eyes, waiting with open arms for death's embrace.

An eerie voice, almost a whisper of the wind, echoes in the back of my mind: "This is what will come to pass if you resist any longer. The night of the first snow, the Destruction will occur."

"She's stabilizing."

I gasp and open my eyes.

_________________________________________________________________

There is a bright light above me. I can barely make out three people above me through the fuzziness of my vision. I hear three relieved sighs, and then someone takes my hand.

"Delilah? Can you hear me?"

I groan as everything comes back to me. Wednesday ... the bomb at the mall ... the chase ... and then nothing.

"Excuse me, Mr, uh, Al?" says an unfamiliar voice. "May I have a word with you in private?"

Everything comes back into focus, and I catch a glimpse of Al and a doctor walking into the hall. I look up and nearly begin to cry. It's Julius staring down at me, holding my hand.

"Where am I?" I moan, sitting up.

He smiles with relief. "Thank God. I mean, you're at the hospital, Delilah."

"Hospital?" I exclaim surprised. "Why?"

"Don't you remember?" he asks, looking at me with worry. "We were chasing Wednesday and then you just ... I dunno, blacked out. You fell over and wouldn't get up. That was three days ago."

I shake my head in disbelief. "Three days? Wow, so I was out for a while. Do they know what's wrong with me?"

Julius lets go of my hand and stands up. "The doctor said that it had something to do with lack of sleep. But he's never seen anyone go into a coma because of it. No one has. There's no record of it."

I smile. "Hurray, I'm the first!" His cold glare makes me shrink. "Sorry."

He sits down beside me again. "I was worried, De. We weren't sure if you were going to wake up."

"Hey, I did, didn't I?" I counter, slightly annoyed. "So, have Ursula and Emmet managed to screw up the world yet?"

Julius only half laughs at my joke. Then he looks me in the eye sternly. "I want you to answer me truthfully, De. Is there anything that you should be telling me?"

I am tempted to lie, to say that everything's fine, why's he so worried? But he'd know I'm lying. So I sigh, take a deep breath, and begin.
Sign up to rate and review this story