Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

10

by Rose_Angel 1 review

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-07-07 - Updated: 2005-07-08 - 1812 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: A little story about two people who never existed, even if their names sound familiar. Not written for money or cruelty to the two names borrowed for this piece of fiction.
Rating: PG-13

Night and Day 10/20

"You've shattered each and every dream, you fooled me right from the start. And although you're not true, may God bless you. That's the curse of an aching heart." The Curse of an Aching Heart- Frank Sinatra


Daniel stumbled home in an absolute haze, not noticing a single thing around him, only seeing Darren's rigid body, his blazing blue eyes looking away as he told Daniel it was over. He just couldn't understand what exactly had happened in the hotel room. He felt as if his entire reason for living was gone. Darren had ended this. He knew Darren also felt the relationship was a saving grace from the two women in their horrific lives. And yet, Darren had told him to go, to leave. He knew he would not cry, he had not cried in so long he was convinced he was unable, but he felt the heaviness settle into his chest. He felt the world around him going dark again, lacking all color and purpose, and he knew he was right where he had been that night he had entered The Star, alone and without purpose.

He came to his home and walked in slowly, wishing he could feel sunlight on his face, instead of the dreariness of New York City in January. He knew he wanted to drink, but also knew it was entirely impossible and so he fell onto his bed, willing sleep to come so he would not have to think about Darren.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darren had cried himself to sleep in the dark hotel room and when he woke, he found he was still a naked mass of limbs who was entirely alone in the world. He lay on the floor for several moments, breathing deeply and wondering what he was to do now. He had to go home to his wife, he knew that, and yet, he was feeling so exhausted that he was not entirely sure he could make it. He stood slowly, looking around at the mess of the hotel room he had been renting for six years. Six years of sex with nameless men, none of which he had ever been in love with, but had used for his own pleasure. He could not remember how many different men he had been with since moving to the States, how many times this hotel room had served as a sanctuary for his perverse activities. He gathered up his clothes stopping when he saw a glimpse of Daniel's cigarette case. He picked it up carefully, tears coming to his eyes once more. It was a cheap case, and yet, he knew would cherish it for the rest of his days. "You did the right thing," he murmured to himself. "It had to happen."

He took a cigarette and simply put it to his mouth, not even lighting it. He remembered the first night he had met Daniel, the way he had been completely disgusted by the Australian's habit; and yet now he ached to see a cigarette in his ex-lover's lush mouth. But immediately he realized what he was thinking and broke the cigarette in half. He had done the right thing. Of course he had. He dressed quickly and then began the long walk home, forcing his mind to become numb, to stop thinking. He was exhausted, he felt as if he had nothing left in him and there was a pain in his chest that he could only associate with heartbreak, complete and utter heartbreak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel slept for hours, not waking until two thirty in the afternoon. The suit he had not bothered to take off was wrinkled, though the shirt was completely ruined by Darren's insanity. At the thought of his former love, Daniel winced and stood slowly and went to his bureau. There, he hid a bottle of whiskey a man had given him once for playing at his petting party. Daniel did not even bother getting a glass, he simply began to drink straight from the bottle, hoping the release of drunkenness would come and the numbness would arrive and take away the pain.

He drank the entire bottle and then realized he was not drunk at all, just a little off and he craved a better release. He could not stand drugs, would never touch them, and as it became harder and harder to get alcohol, he was wondering if it was all worth the risk. "Daniel? Daniel, darling?"

He flinched, wishing he had never given Kathleen the key to his little flat, but she had it and he supposed she had been trying to call all day because here she was, and he could hear her coming towards his room. He flung the empty whiskey bottle under his bed and then hoisted himself onto the bed and under his blankets, trying his best to appear deathly ill. "I'm in my room, Katie," he called, surprised by his voice's natural harshness.

"What are you doing still in bed?" Kathleen asked as she opened the door. "It is nearly four in the afternoon, Daniel. I've been ringing all day and you haven't answered." She stared at him and then came forward. "Daniel, are you ill? You look dreadful."

"Yes," he murmured as he felt her hand touch his forehead. Her hand was soft and cool and he suddenly got the idea that he should kiss it but as he reached up for her hand she drew back a little.

"Have you been drinking, Daniel Jones?"

"Never, Katie. I could never break the law."

"You reek of alcohol. You're not ill are you?"

"Yes I am, Katie girl," he murmured. "I'm heartsick."

"Heartsick?"

"Yes," he nodded. "For you." The words surprised even him as they came out of his mouth. He loved Darren, not Kathleen, and yet, he knew he would have to begin loving her. He had lost Darren and now he must commit to his future wife and love her with his entire heart.

"For me?" she gasped, though a smile was beginning to appear on her face.

"Yes, Katie-girl. I know I've been a horrible fiance these past few months but I have learned my lesson and I want to lavish you with love and attention. I love you, Katie."

Her grin was absolutely blinding and she sat down next to him on the bed. "And I love you, my Daniel. You are mine, yes?"

"Of course, darling," he nodded. "Only yours." And as Kathleen leaned down to give him a real kiss, he felt a tear slowly slip out of his closed eyes, picturing the only person he had ever truly loved and feeling very guilty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colby had not been home when Darren had returned, but it did not take her long to search for him when she finally returned. She came to his room, and finding it locked, immediately began to bang on the door. A moment later, Darren opened the door, standing in his underwear, his black hair tousled. She nearly gasped when she saw how absolutely pale he is and she immediately caught him as he swerved into her arms. "Darren? What is the matter? Are you all right?"

Darren said nothing as he was put into bed, the duvet coming up to his chin. He curled into himself, as the pain was becoming so much worse and he was starting to cry again. "Darren, darling, please, talk to me. Are you all right? Do you need a doctor?"

He shook his head and simply looked at her. "I did it for you," he murmured.

"Did what?"

"And for my father and mother, and your mother, and for everyone else. You cannot say I'm selfish any longer. I will be unhappy for the rest of my life, but I will keep my promises."

"Darren, what is the matter with you?"

"I'm tired," he said as he turned from her. "Good night."

"It's four thirty, Darren. Do you want dinner?"

"No food."

"Darren."

"Please Colby. Leave me in peace tonight."

She got up and closed the door softly, wondering what exactly was the matter with her husband and her hand fluttered to her stomach, wondering if her baby would have a father or if Darren was going to let himself perish for whatever reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel was up and about just two days later, promising himself he would forget about Darren and would keep his promise to love Kathleen with all of his heart. He dressed in trousers and a sweater with a tie and walked to her home, ignoring the heaviness. "Where is the most beautiful woman in New York?" he called as he was let into her house and smiled when he saw her running to him.

"Daniel, where are we going?" she asked. "You said it would be most fun. Where, Daniel? Please tell me?"

"I thought we could have a nice walk in the park and perhaps hot chocolate. How does it sound?"

"Or it sounds wonderful, Daniel!" she smiled and kissed his cheek. She put on her winter coat and took his hand, their gloved hands making it impossible to feel each others skin, which Daniel was a little pleased about. He was convinced he would fall in love with her, and he was even more convinced he would forget all about Darren Hayes. He must remember that he could not allow his perversions to ruin a wonderful relationship with a beautiful woman.

"What is the gossip, Katie girl?" he asked.

"Colby called me this morning," Katie immediately began. "Mr. Hayes has gotten out of bed in two days, she says he's dreadfully ill but is refusing a doctor. Poor woman, her mother is coming in just three days and her husband won't even get out of bed."

Daniel paused for a moment on the sidewalk, his heart speeding. "He won't get out of bed?"

"No," Kathleen shook her head. "She says he's been in bed and won't eat anything at all. And he won't allow anyone in the room."

"Then she has to get a doctor," Daniel said, trying to keep his voice as level as possible.

"He won't see one, Daniel. He says a doctor can help him. We'll have to pray for him, won't we, Daniel?"

"Yes," Daniel murmured. "Yes, we'll pray for him." And even though he had sworn he would never think about Darren Hayes again, would hate him for the rest of his life, a tear came and he quickly brushed it away. And he knew at that moment, that he would never stop loving Darren, no matter how much the sick man hurt him.


TBC

xo
Rose Angel
Sign up to rate and review this story