Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > In this the game of life

Chapter Three

by Lord_Kass 4 reviews

Atlanta,Archie,Herry,Odie,Jay,and Theresa witness strange lights in the sky and the return of the great bird Phoenix. only Hera seems worried about this.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-11-01 - Updated: 2006-11-01 - 1719 words

1Original
Chapter Three: Hero


Atlanta stood on the stair case infront of the dorm with her arms crossed across her chest, Herry came out looking confused about something as Odie and Archie followed close behind.

'so....what are we getting all excited about?'

Herry asked rubbing the back of his head looking from Atlanta to Archie waiting for an explination-he had expected some sort of Cronus related crisis from the way the two were acting but they would have told him by now. Odie didn't seem too worried but he was curious as to what had happened to get everyone so worked up.

'I don't know why Theresa is getting so upset about this book."

Archie began looking disinterested in the whole ordeal. Atlanta just shot him a dirty look before turning to the two confused boys to explain why they were gathering everyone together.

'Theresa literally had this really old book dropped on her while she was in the school library. Obviously it doesn't belong there as its mostly written in some ancient language, which Archie can read.'
'Cannot. Just that one symbol.'
'Anyways...we have a sneaking suspecion that Cronus has something to do with this.'

Odie looked thoughtful for a moment, furrowing his eyebrows as he sat down on the steps.

"and do you know the name of this book?"
'yea, the Phoenix's song...'
'No...its called the Song of the Phoenix.'

Atlanta turned to Archie sharply, but he answered her question before she could even ask it.

'When I was leaning over the book I noticed that the symbols didn't match up correctly to the way it had been translated. That and the Phoenix's song just sounds lame."
'You could have mensioned that earlier.'
'I might have if Theresa hadn't run off so quickly.'
'Okay, Okay-guys! '

Odie butted in before Archie and Atlanta got into a full out arguement. He had sprung back to his feet and started back up the stairs,

'While we're waiting for the others I'm going to go get my computer.'

With that he vanished inside. Not even ten minutes later Odie had returned and his computer was already open, obviously he hadn't waited to get back outside before starting his search.

'I was looking up some stuff on the internet about Phoenix's, maybe there'll be something here about that book Theresa found.'
"yea, good thinking Odie..."


Meanwhile, somewhere just outside of the city....
A Man stood at the edge of a cliff, the winds coming up from them whipped his brilliant hair into his eyes. Normally sparkling with life they seemed to be darkened with a strange pain that didn't show on his face. He looked over at the city, it was so peaceful and quiet like some sort of picture or painting. Though there was a chill in the wind the man didn't even shiver, and he too looked as if he were just a statue standing guard over the little city below.

"Forgive me for what I'm about to do. I know that it must be done but this is not the way I had invisioned. I just hope my punishment is swift and painless and that the Gods have mercy on me."

he thought deeply, closing his eyes for a moment and taking in a deep breathful of the cool air. He felt the dark presence of the man approaching before he even heard his footsteps echoing across the rocky ground. Cronus came to a stop beside the thoughtful man and looked over the city but with different thoughts in his mind.

"You had better not be thinking of turning back on our little deal."

the man opened his eyes and glared hatefully at Cronus before slowly answering. Turning his gaze back to the city.

'I'm not like YOU Cronus,I don't turn back on my word.'
"Ouch. That hurt. Your as cruel as always.'
'feh.'

an uncomfertable silence fell between the two as they both stood in thought for a few moments.

'Anyways, Are you ready Cronus? I'm not going to clean up your mess if-'
"This won't fail and if it does it will because of you. Yes we are ready. the decoy has been deployed.'

Just as Cronus finished his sentence a shrill cry rang throughout the skies as a flaming bird came flying through some clouds and circled the air over the two men. It was a Phoenix, its feathers darker then most but it was still an impressive sight. The man frowned as he watched the bird circle a few more times before jetting off towards the city crying out once again. Cronus just laughed, finding the man's reaction quite amusing.

"The rest is up to you, Phoenix."

With that Cronus turned on heel and began to leave, pausing briefly to hiss threateningly into the man's ear.

'Screw this up and you know who'll pay the price.'

Frowning even deeper, the man turned away from the departing God and felt everything melt away as a golden fire errupted around him. The flames didn't hurt him as they were being generated from him, the heat they gave off though was unbareable to any that stood within a 20 foot radius of him. Lifting his head he felt the reminence of his human discuise disappate into flames. With very little effort the man which was now a magnificent Phoenix lifted off the ground and took flight. Making a similar cry as the first Phoenix before disappearing above the clouds and leaving Cronus and his wicked plan far below him.

Back with the kids.
Odie was scanning several sites featuring phoenix's but not finding any infomation about any books pertaining to the bird itself or its song. Herry had gotten bord of waiting and was keeping himself preoccupied by watching a bunch of small birds hop about eating some stale bread that someone must have left them earlier in the day. Archie was 'napping' while Atlanta sat on the steps behind Odie reading over his shoulder, which of course annoyed him greatly as everyone and a while she would thrust her hand in his face pointing at something.

'This' frusterating...I come across too many legends involving the phoenix to count, but nothing about a book. Look here's a site that even has what a phoenix eats listed on it.'
'Maybe your typing in the wrong words.'
'there are so many ways you can type in something before you start at the beginning again.'
'Okay, don't need to get touchy.'

Atlanta pouted pulling back from Odie momentarily. Glancing at the time in the corner of his screen, Odie pulled his eyes from the computer and looked down the street.

'shouldn't the others be here by now.'
'hmmm...Neil's probably gotten himself trapped under some books or something.'

Atlanta joked, but no one really laughed-She shrugged and sighed, about to say something else when suddenly the birds Herry had been watching took flight like their tails were on fire as did all the other birds. This was followed by a sound that made the very bones in their bodies rattle, it was so shrill that the four thought that something had exploded.

'What was that!?'

Odie yelled, but all he could hear was a deafening ringing in his ears. Archie had lept to his feet and was staring at something in the sky. He said something but none of the other three could hear him.

'Did you hear me!?'

he yelled turning back to them, their reactions were all the reply he needed. He looked back to the sky, coming straight towards them was a firey mass-he couldn't tell what it was but he had a feeling he knew what it was. Luckily or Unfortunatly, whichever seemed apporiate, the other three spotted the creature coming a them too.

'Herry move!'

Atlanta bellowed but they fell on deaf ears. The shrill call rang out again,this time it shattered the glass of all the windows along the street. Archie watched as the creature spotted them and flared its wings.

'Phoenix...'

he thought, confused as to why the legendary bird was attacking the city and them. Archie didn't have long to ponder over it as both Herry and Atlanta raced foreward to try and stop whatever it was on its rampage.

'No!'

Archie yelled, dashing foreward but was too slow as the phoenix zoomed past only feet from the ground but had done its damage. The four were thrown off of their feet and engulfed in a firey after trail. The fire didn't seem to burn, which was odd but it gave Archie enough time to get back on his feet and check on his friends. they appeared to be alright, alittle bruised from being thrown off their feet but other then that still able to fight. However, Archie hadn't been afflicted by the birds attack but that didn't cross his mind as he waited for the phoenix to come back for another attack.

"Stay down! I don't know what's going...'

Again no one heard him, Herry was now fuming and had gotten back to his feet. Atlanta had gone over to check if Odie was alright, but since neither could hear the other it was a loud shouting match consisting of them both saying 'what?',

'Archie! Are you guys alright.'

Coming up the street the way the phoenix had come was Jay,Theresa, and Neil. They seemed to have not been inflicted by the phoenix's deafening cry, which was a good thing. They came to a hault several feet away and pointed to something in the sky, Archie just assumed they had spotted the Phoenix and was about to tell them to cover their ears when suddenly there was a warm golden fire around him and was being lifted off the ground.
Looking up he saw the phoenix, but it looked different somehow. The bird carried him down the street, its talons lightly digging into his shoulders as it flew over the roof tops. He tried to pull free to grab his concealed weapon but try as he might he couldn't move, there was something wrong....

'ARCHIE!'

Jay yelled after but it was too late, his friends were too far behind to do any help to him now.
Archie was on his own, to deal with the legendary Phoenix.
Sign up to rate and review this story