Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heart of the Warrior Book I: The Origins of the Warrior

Chapter 14: The Wrath of Snape

by madnesspersonified 1 review

Ninja Turtles 2003/Harry Potter AU Crossover. Extensive summary in profile.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Quirinus Quirrell,Snape,Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2006-11-02 - Updated: 2008-04-08 - 3379 words

4Original
Chapter 14: The Wrath of Snape

Snape looked at Harry, Ron, and Hermione with a calculating look on his face.

"Well?" prompted Snape dangerously in a low voice. "What kind of explanation can you three offer me? I'm waiting."

Hermione looked down at the floor and Ron's courage failed him. Harry decided it was best not to say anything at the time. He wanted to find out exactly how much Snape knew, as Harry did not want to give any additional incriminating information. Snape narrowed his eyes at the three children. If there was one thing that can be said about Severus Snape, he lacked patience when dealing with disciplinary matters.

"Perhaps you would like to discuss why you were lurking in the corridors after hours in my office," said Snape. "Follow me, now."

Snape's tone left no room for argument. Hermione, Harry, and Ron followed Snape without a word. Harry knew somehow he would not be able to talk his way out of this tight corner, he would just have to brace himself for the worst and from what he had seen, Snape's worst could be pretty horrid.

The four walked mostly in silence to Snape's office. Snape opened the door to reveal a smug looking Draco Malfoy sitting in Snape's office.

"Remind me again, whose idea was it to ask Weasley for help," hissed Harry to Hermione in a low voice. Hermione stared at the floor, looking ashamed.

"Apparently, Mr. Malfoy came to my office with an extraordinary story," said Snape. "Do you three care to tell me what it was?"

Ron opened his mouth but Snape cut him off.

"That was a rhetorical question, you dunderhead," said Snape coldly. "Apparently you three were going to get rid of a dragon for Hagrid. It seems one of you gave yourself away with your clumsy behavior and alerted Mr. Malfoy of your wandering."

Snape looked Ron straight in his eyes, as if determining his suspicions on why the three children were wandering the corridors at night. After about thirty seconds, Snape turned away with a calculating expression on his face.

"A thrilling, riveting tale for the ages I am sure," said Snape in a sarcastic tone of voice. "However, I could care less the reason why you were wandering the corridors at night. Surely even you two, Weasley I am not including you because I can see why you would not, would understand the dangers. Therefore, I am afraid I must put all four of you in detention."

Ron gasped and looked at Snape but Malfoy cut off Ron with a disbelieving look on his face.

"Excuse me Professor Snape, I must have heard you incorrectly," said Malfoy with a bit of a smirk. "Did you just say the four of us? There are only three of them, if I am not mistaken. Surely I am not included in this."

"No, Mr. Malfoy, you heard me correctly. Although you were right informing me of this, there would be no chance you would have known had you not been wandering the corridors yourself for whatever reason," said Snape. "Therefore you will be joining Potter, Granger, and Weasley in detention. I am sure I have made my point."

Malfoy looked at Snape with a sneer on his face.

"My father..." started Malfoy before Ron angrily cut him off.

"That's typical of you Malfoy. Running to Daddy when you get in trouble," said Ron angrily before Snape held up his hand to silence Ron.

"Silence, Weasley," said Snape in a low, dangerous voice. "For your little outburst, I am afraid I must take twenty points from Gryffindor and be thankful it is not more."

"Why don't you deduct points off of Malfoy you biased..." said Ron before Snape glared at him again.

"Ten more points for contradicting me, Weasley," said Snape dangerously. "Now is there anything else you would like to say to me why we are here."

Ron opened his mouth but Hermione whacked him across the back of the head to stop him from talking.

"Shut up, I don't want to see Gryffindor lose any more points," hissed Hermione to Ron in a low voice.

"Admirable as your actions were Miss Granger, I am afraid violence is strictly against school policy," said Snape. "However, since you were only silencing Weasley, I will only take five points from Gryffindor."

There were no further words from Ron, as he learned to keep his mouth shut at that time, at least for the moment.

"The four of you will be informed when and where your detention will take place in the near future," said Snape. "Good night to you all."

Harry walked out of Snape's office, thinking that little confrontation went better than expected, but still walking off to bed before something else would happen. This day had been an extremely long and taxing one.

"Only ten more days, only ten more days, only ten more days," muttered Harry under his breath. "Only ten more days until I return to New York, I need to get out of this school badly. Flint is going to end up killing me before the ten days are up, I just know it."

It was a few days after the dragon incident and Harry had endured another grueling Quidditch training session. Flint seemed to take his sadism to new and unhealthy labels, holding practice for three straight hours. To add to the fun, Harry had to complete a two roll Potions Essay for Snape on Forgetfulness Potion.

Needless to say, Harry's move did not improve when Hermione walked up to him carrying a slip of paper

"Here, Harry," said Hermione. "Professor Snape asked me to give this to you when he gave me mine. It's the notice for when our detention is."

Harry just took the note and unfolded it with a bit of a grim calmness.

Potter:

Your detention will be on the night prior to the final day before Spring Holidays. You are to meet Filch in the Great Hall; he will take you to your detention.

Professor Severus Snape

"Thank you, Hermione," said Harry. "Detention with Filch should be a blast. A barrel of laughs I may say."

"Harry Potter, could you please dispense with the sarcasm for just one moment," said Hermione in an irritated tone of voice. "This is serious."

"Yeah I know," said Harry grimly. "I am just trying to make light of the situation because I have nothing else better to do at the moment to amuse me. Malfoy seems to have made himself scarce and Weasley fears retaliation for the dragon incident."

"Don't you have a Potions Essay you can be doing?" said Hermione.

"Yes, I believe that will do," said Harry. "I will now retreat to my fortress of solitude and set forth on the task which is at hand."

Harry set off towards the Slytherin Library leaving Hermione, who was torn between amusement or disbelief at the antics of her friend, to stand in the hallway.

Nightfall, the night of the Detention approached more quickly than Harry could ever imagine. Harry was in the Slytherin Common Room sitting with Daphne and Theodore, who were reading.

"Well, I better go," said Harry. "No doubt Filch will have some sinister and sadistic task for me to accomplish in Detention."

"Knowing Filch, I would have to agree," said Theodore. "Good luck, Harry. I hope you come back in one piece."

Daphne shook her head in disgust, not even looking up from her book.

"That is really inspiring morale booster," said Daphne sarcastically. "If Filch had his way, he would suspend students by their ankles in chains."

"Believe me, I would rather be suspended by my ankles from the ceiling in chains then spend time in Detention with Weasley or Malfoy," said Harry. "I must be leaving right now, I hope nothing bad happens."

"Just be careful Harry and don't try and kill Malfoy or Weasley," said Daphne.

"It is not a matter of me killing them, it concealing the body being the real problem," said Harry as he left the Common Room.

"He's joking right," said Theodore.

"I'm not quite sure," said Daphne. "I think he is but then again..."

Harry entered the Great Hall as Hermione, Ron, and Malfoy was already there. Filch appeared about a minute later with Mrs. Norris on his heals.

"Ah leading children away to detention, one of the best perks of my job," said Filch with relish. "Follow me you four."

Harry. Hermione, Ron, and Malfoy followed Filch, who was leading them away from the Great Hall and towards the outside of the school.

"It's a shame they let all the old punishments die out," said Filch. "I remember those days quite fondly. Hanging a student from the ceiling by his ankles in chains. Whipping a student's bare flesh until it was raw, those were the days. It's a pity they did away with punishment such as that, I still have the whips and the chains locked away for hope one day this school will get a Headmaster or Headmistress who will let me use my little friends on some impudent whelps."

Filch had a sadistic smirk on his face at the very thought of torturing students. Harry privately thought Filch could use therapy for his sadistic thoughts.

"Unfortunately, we are not here for the nostalgia factor, we are here because you brats decided to break the school rules," said Filch.

Filch walked the four children a shorter way before meeting Hagrid who was standing by the Forbidden Forest with a crossbow.

"Abou' time you showed up Filch," said Hagrid in an irritated voice. "All right Harry, Hermione, Ron."

Maybe Detention would not be so bad if it was with Hagrid. Filch could see the hopeful look on Harry's face.

"Believe me, you will not be having the time of your life in this detention," said Filch. "On tonight's agenda you will be heading towards the Forbidden Forest to assist Hagrid in a task. I will return at dawn to pick up whatever pieces remain."

Filch sneered at the four children before turning to walk off. Malfoy looked at Hagrid with an incredulous look on his face.

"The Forest," said Malfoy in disbelief. "Isn't there werewolves in there? This is crazy; this is servant's work. If my father knew..."

"He would tell you that's how it is at Hogwarts," growled Hagrid. "Do something useful or get out if you have detention."

Hagrid had a serious look on his face.

"Listen you four, we are going into the Forest but I don't want to take any chances," said Hagrid. "A unicorn's bin hurt very badly and we need to put it out of its miserly. Follow me"

Harry took in a deep breath. He remembered reading how Unicorns were extremely quick and how they were extremely difficult to catch to hurt. No doubt whomever or whatever was doing this was extremely dangerous.

Hagrid lead the four children into the Forest. Harry had a sinking feeling something extremely bad was about to happen and something else bothered him. A slight stinging sensation around the area of his scar started to occur as he went into the Forest. The sensation got more powerful as he got deeper into the Forest. Surely this sensation was not normal and what could it mean.

Hagrid stopped shortly, as there were two trails forking off into opposite directions.

"I think we should...get behind that tree!" shouted Hagrid suddenly, pulling Malfoy, Ron, Hermione, and Harry behind a nearby tree before pulling out his crossbow.

"Who's there," said Hagrid. "Show yourself, I am armed."

A very peculiar sight came out from behind a tree. From what Harry could see it was a half man, half horse of some sort with long red hair.

"Oh it's only you, Ronan," said Hagrid with relief.

"Hello Hagrid," said Ronan. "Were you going to shoot me?"

"Can never be too careful, especially these days," said Hagrid in a dark voice. "Kids, this is Ronan and he is a centaur."

"Ah, students up at the school," said Ronan. "Do you learn much up there?"

"Er a bit," said Hermione.

"A bit, well isn't that something," said Ronan before looking upon the sky. "Mars is bright tonight."

"Yeah, Ronan, listen we need to..." said Hagrid but before he could continue, a second Centaur, this one with dark black hair.

"Hello, Hagrid," said the black haired Centaur.

"Good evenin', Bane," said Hagrid. "I was just about to ask Ronan if he has seen a slain unicorn. Yeh see, something has bin hurtin' the unicorns and we are here to put it out of its misery."

Bane looked at the sky thoughtfully before responding.

"Mars is bright tonight, extremely bright," said Bane.

"We noticed," said Hagrid shortly. "Listen if any of yeh notice anything, would yeh please let me know."

The two centaurs gave Hagrid short nods before walking off. Hagrid turned to Malfoy, Ron, Hermione, and Harry with an irritable look on his face.

"Never attempt to get a straight answer out of Centaur," said Hagrid irritably. "Ruddy star gazers, not interested in anything closer than the stars."

Hagrid turned to the four children and then to the two paths, which followed.

"Looks like we are going to have to split up," said Hagrid. "Hermione, Ron, and I will take the left path while Draco an' Harry will take the right path. If yeh find the Unicorn, you send up green sparks. If you are in any kind of trouble, send up red sparks"

Malfoy looked at Hagrid with distain but also had a bit of a worried look on his face.

"All right, but I want Fang," said Malfoy, indicting to Fang who was lounging lazily at Hagrid's feet.

"Fair enough," said Hagrid. "But I have got to warn you, he's a bloody coward."

Fang whimpered as Malfoy and Harry walked off. He followed them.

"This is insane," said Malfoy. "Walking through the forest, with Merlin knows what in it. With Potter no less. This detention is cruel and unusual punishment, wait until I write to my father, he will straighten this travesty out."

"It is a travesty I have to listen to your whining all the way, Malfoy," said Harry in a bored voice. "Come on, the sooner we find the Unicorn, the sooner I can get away from you, because believe me a custom fit noose around my neck is preferable then spending ten seconds in your presence."

Malfoy looked disdainful but did not say anything in response. Harry felt relieved Malfoy kept his mouth shut, as the splitting headache Harry endured was getting more and more brutal as he ventured deeper into the Forbidden Forest.

After walking for about twenty more minutes, Harry stepped in something silvery. After walking a few more paces, Malfoy and Harry came upon the dead unicorn. Harry sent green sparks flying into the air.

"Well, Malfoy, I believe we have found our Unicorn," said Harry.

At these words Malfoy had an opened mouth look on his face, while looking over Harry's shoulder, and looked about ready to scream. Harry turned around and was face to face with a hooded figure. The hooded figure had Unicorn dripping from his mouth. Harry's scar exploded into a wave of everlasting pain and he staggered back.

The pain was unbearable, but Harry could not see whom this mysterious man was due to his face being obscured by his hood. Malfoy seemed to have run off. A sinister laugh erupted from the figure and Harry's forehead felt about ready to split open due to the intense pain.

A clopping sound was heard and the figure hissed before disappearing into the darkness. Harry had looked up, seeing yet another centaur. This one had white blond hair and was observing Harry curiously.

"You are the Potter boy," said the Centaur. "You must come with me, quickly. The Forest is an extremely dangerous place, especially for you at this time. Can you ride?"

Harry just nodded his head, weakly pulling himself up as the Centaur bent down, allowing Harry to climb on his back.

"My name is Firenze," said the Centaur as an after thought. "You must get back to Hagrid immediately."

"What was that thing you saved me from?" asked Harry.

Firenze paused for a moment, considering for a moment.

"Harry Potter, do you know what Unicorn Blood is used for?" asked Firenze.

Harry frowned, straining to remember but he could not come up with any thoughts.

"Well, no but I imagine it would be for something sinister," said Harry.

"Indeed, Harry Potter," agreed Firenze. "It is a monstrous thing to slay a Unicorn. A creature so pure, so light, drinking its blood will keep you from death even if you are a half-inch a way. Still, many humans do not realize from the minute the blood touches your lips, you will live a half life, a cursed life."

Harry had a theory, but he had hoped it only manifested from his usual dark paranoid thoughts.

"It does not seem anyone would want that unless they were hanging on for something else," said Harry. "Something, which will restore them to a full body."

"Brilliant reasoning, Harry Potter," said Firenze. "Then you surely know what is said to be held up at the school and whom is after it."

"Yep," said Harry grimly, his worst fears confirmed by Firenze.

Harry was brought out of his thoughts by an angry voice.

"Firenze," thundered the voice of the Centaur known as Bane who walked up with Ronan. "Just what do you think you are doing riding around with a human on your back just like some common mule."

"Bane, this is the Potter boy," said Firenze. "Surely, you have read the signs..."

"What have you been telling this human?" demanded Bane. "I am warning you Firenze, what is read in the stars is not to be told to humans."

"I am sure, Firenze thought he acted for the best," said Ronan, nervously pawing the ground.

Bane kicked up his back legs in anger.

"The best," thundered Bane. "What is read is not to be told to humans? Fate is not to be tampered with. One human has done just that in recent years and she has thrown the inter-cosmic balance off kilter due to her tampering with the laws of fate and nature, placing into sequence a chain of events that were not to be."

Harry looked puzzled. What was Bane talking about anyway?

"I am going to set myself against the evil which lurked in this forest this evening," said Firenze calmly. "Even if I have to tamper with fate and fight along side humans. The price for this evil succeeding is too great."

Bane gave Firenze a cold look but at this point, Harry could see Hermione, Ron, and a whimpering Draco Malfoy walk up with Hagrid and Fang. Malfoy looked like he would be having nightmares of that figure in the forest for weeks but Harry believed trauma could not have happened to a better person.

"You are safe now, Harry Potter," said Firenze. "Hagrid is here now and no harm could come upon you under his eye. Good luck and may fate favor you."

Harry walked out to Hogwarts with the others, lost in thought. Others confirmed his suspicions. Voldemort was after the Philosopher's Stone so he could return to his body. Harry felt he needed to figure out a way to at least delay Voldemort from getting the stone, as Harry wondered just how good the protections were for the Stone if there was not even a simple locking charm on the door leading to the third floor corridor.

Harry went up to the Slytherin First Year Boys Dormitory, with a tired look upon his face. In two days he would return to his family and it could not be any sooner, as he felt after all which he happened, he needed a holiday in the worst way. It took several hours for Harry to get to sleep, as his mind clouded with dark thoughts and the echo of the sinister laugh in the forest with the figure with Unicorn blood dripping down his mouth.
Sign up to rate and review this story