Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

A Losing Battle

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1031 words

0Unrated
A Losing Battle

Dally's POV

I had been heading toward the vacant lot when a blue Mustang had pulled up beside me. I stopped and looked over at them because I wondered what they wanted. But that was my mistake. There were five Socs in the car. But in a minute they had all jumped out of the car and were all over me. I figured I had a fair chance since I had my blade with me, but as I reached into my pocket I realized that it wasn't there. I must have left at Buck's place last night. All of a sudden I felt two Socs grab hold of my arms in order to restrain me for what was to come. The three remaining Socs came at me and began kicking me. I had done my best to kick back at them, but it was no use. I was out numbered and I knew it. I just hoped that the gang would walk by and give me hand, but no such luck. The Socs holding my arms released their grip on me and let me fall to the ground, but they kept kicking me. I was barely conscious when one of the Socs pulled me up by my hair and began to yell at me.

"You're pathetic greaser. Just as pathetic as your friends. I want you tell the two that killed Bob, that we'll get them when the time is right. Tell them that they'll end up a lot worse than you. Pleasant dreams, greaser!" the Soc said as he let me drop to the ground and kicked me hard in the head. That was the last thing I knew. When I woke up again I was in the Curtis' house. I saw Johnny and Pony leaning over me. I had to tell them to get outta here. Those Socs would kill them for sure.

" . . . you gotta get outta here, man . . . the Socs are after both of you . . . they told me tell you . . . you gotta run . . . now . . . " I said, hoping they'd forget about me and run.

"Johnny, I think we should lock the doors until the gang gets back," Pony said with his voice sounding frantic. I saw Johnny quickly jump up to go lock all the doors and then hurry to my side with a bottle of peroxide.

"I locked everything. Do you really think they'll try to break in the house?" he asked as he poured some of the stuff over a rag and began to wipe it over my cuts.

" . . . they'll try anything . . . but first . . . they wanted you to . . . to know that they will . . . " I said hoping that they would understand how urgent it was for them to get outa here. I tried to sit up, but my head began to spin and I fell into the comfort of the surrounding darkness.

I didn't know how long I'd been out, but it sure felt like awhile. Pony was sleeping on the couch and Johnny was asleep on the floor next to him. I decided to get up and get something to drink, my throat was awful dry. As I got up I heard a lot of yellin' and laughin', but the voices didn't belong to the gang. I was sure they belonged to the Socs that had beaten me up earlier. I went over to Johnny and woke him up to tell him what was going on. He quietly got up and grabbed his crutches to make his way down the hall. He quickly opened the dresser drawer to show me where Darry had hidden the blades, and pulled one out for each of us. We agreed that Pony should have a blade anyway, so he could feel a little bit more secure. We were heading back toward the couch to wake him up, when suddenly the Socs started banging on the door. Pony sat up quickly looking pretty shook up.

"It's okay, Pony," I said trying to reassure him, but not having much luck.

"Here, take this," Johnny said as he pressed one of the blades into Pony's hand.

"Pony, I don't want you to try and fight unless you have to, you understand? And Johnny, be careful, will ya?" I said, since Johnny still couldn't manuever around very well on his crutches. I wan't too worried about him as long as he didn't lose his balance, he should be fine. Pony was a different matter. I still blame myself for what happened to him and I didn't want him to get hurt again.

"Hey, greasers! We know you're in there! Why don't you come out before we break the door down!" we could hear the Socs yelling at us.

"Why don't you just go to hell!" I yelled at them.

"Did you hear that? That stupid greaser we picked up earlier is trying to scare us," I heard one Soc say after he recognized my voice. I couldn't believe they just said that to me. Dallas Winston. That's it. I wasn't going to take this from these Socs anymore. No matter how weak I feel right now, I have to fight.

"That wasn't a fair fight and you know it!" I shouted at them trying to control my anger. I felt Johnny place a hand on my arm.

"Dally, we need you to stay here and help us. We gotta try to hold them off until the gang gets back. Please, Dally." Johnny said pleading with me not to leave them.

"Okay," I whispered to him, but I was too tired to fight anyway. I began to sway on my feet and fell to the ground totally exhausted. I had to fight to stay awake, but I knew I wouldn't be able to hang on much longer.

"Help me up, Johnny. We gotta fight them off. We've gotta beat 'em good," I said not quite comprehending what I was saying. I couldn't think straight anymore and my mind was starting to get fuzzy. Stay awake, Dally. Come on, stay awake Dal, they need you man. But no matter what I told myself, I just couldn't fight it anymore and surrendered to the darkness.
Sign up to rate and review this story