Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Hangin' Out With Gryffindors

by Emilie_D 1 review

Severus spends a relaxing day with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-11 - 3169 words - Complete

1Original
The smell of breakfast cooking assailed them as they left the bedroom.

"Coffee," Zelda moaned, whizzing past her beloved toward the kitchen area.

Severus noticed that Potter was overseeing the cooking, with the other three acting on his orders. The green-eyed brat picked up a large mug. With a knowing smirk, he filled it with black coffee and thrust it into Zelda's hands.

Zelda took her first sip of the life-giving substance and smiled. "Thank you, Harry," she said happily.

He grinned as she kissed his cheek, for a moment resembling his old, impudent self, Severus realized. That old Potter had not been much in evidence of late.

Then Harry turned to Severus. "Coffee, Professor?"

"Yes, please, Potter," he replied calmly, quashing his annoying glimpse into the world of emotions. The boy had remembered that he liked his coffee black, he saw, and he gazed curiously into the green eyes. He told himself that Potter's continuing sanity mattered to all of then.

"Breakfast will be ready in five minutes," Harry said briskly, averting his eyes from Severus. "You and Zelda can relax, Sir, everything's under control here."

Ginny had watched the exchange between the two wizards with fierce concentration, and Hermione had been watching Ginny closely.

Zelda watched them both, making a mental note to talk with Hermione alone, if possible.

Severus turned and put an arm around Zelda. "Come outside, my girl," he murmured.

Several pairs of eyes had stared in amazement at Zelda's neck, and before the door closed behind them, they heard the clamor of shocked, snickering voices. The sun was bright and birds were chirping loudly in the tree above their heads as they sat down in the cool shade.

Zelda glanced at him. "Do you see a difference in him?" she asked.

He nodded. "I avoid thinking of Potter whenever possible, but I do see the change in him. It seems inevitable, under the circumstances, and worrisome too."

"Okay, thanks," she said, sipping more coffee. "I wanted to check with you, since you know him so well. I'll talk to him again. Um... what can you tell me about Ginny Weasley?"

"Intelligent, bold and determined," he said immediately. "As she is in Gryffindor, I do not know her outside of class, but I would say she bears a stronger resemblance to her twin brothers than to any of the other Weasleys."

"Oh," she said thoughtfully. "They sound amusing, unless they decide to play some rotten joke on you. You know, Sev, I don't believe the other three would ever do anything to me with magic. But I wouldn't put it past Ginny to hex me if she thinks it's in her interest to do it."

A chill ran through Severus. He trusted Minerva and Molly implicitly with Zelda, and he realized that she was right about Potter and his pals. Zelda's instincts had been good up to now, and it would therefore be wise to treat her hesitation to trust Ginny seriously.

"Hey, you don't have to do anything," she said gently. "Let me talk to Hermione, okay? If I have to, I'll talk to Molly about finding another place for Ginny to be hidden, but I'd rather not burden her."

The cabin door opened and Hermione came toward them. "Breakfast is ready," she said with a cheerful smile.

Zelda and Severus rose and went back inside. The table was set for six, and Zelda found herself seated with Severus next to her and Harry on her other side. Ginny was seated at the opposite end from Severus. The conversation was frivolous. Ron engaged Harry and Ginny in talk of Quidditch, while the others ate in silence.

Severus watched Ginny closely as the meal progressed. She seemed a normal teenager. There was an intensity that seemed a little too extreme, however. He remembered suddenly that the Dark Lord had possessed this girl at one time. He considered speaking to Potter about her, but wisely realized that he could not ask more of this boy than to face the Dark Lord.

After breakfast, Zelda said cheerfully, "Everything tidied up? Molly'll be here soon, let's make her proud." She began to run dishwater, Muggle fashion, and Harry began helping her. The others, Severus included, all dispersed and with a bit of wand waving the entire cabin was spotless.

When they returned, Harry was just washing the last pan, and Zelda took it and dried it, having watched the rest of the cabin get magically picked up as she did so. She chuckled. "It's like living with freaking Mary Poppins," she said, rolling her eyes ironically at the blank faces staring at her.

Hermione chuckled suddenly. "I remember that movie," she said reminiscently. "I'd completely forgotten! I saw it at a birthday party when I was about six or seven, and when I got home, I started putting my things away magically, no wand or anything, banging drawers and slamming things around. It was easy! My mum came in and almost caught me."

She seemed far away for a moment. "I never told her... I felt guilty, like I was doing something wrong, so I forced myself to forget it until now."

"What's a movie?" asked Ron ingeniously, looking at each of them in turn.

Zelda looked at Harry and Severus, and saw that they both knew. Instead of answering Ron, she said, "Remind me to add that to my list of ideas for Muggle Studies," she said. "Harry, have you seen any good movies?"

"I've never been to a cinema, of course," he replied matter-of-factly. "But I've seen them on the television."

"Which ones did you like?" she asked curiously.

"Well, the Star Wars movies are fantastic," he said enthusiastically. "I sneaked into Dudley's room and watched them one weekend when he was gone. The special effects they can create without magic are incredible. I guess it shows how low class I am, 'cause I love movies."

Zelda eyed Severus for a second and asked impudently, "Are real wizards too cool for movies?"

"I believe some of the most snobbish would love them if they cared to learn about them," he mused.

Zelda glanced around the group and said, "I hope it's not rude of me, but I'd like to borrow Hermione for a short time. She's the only one of you that's done Muggle Studies, so I'd like to get her impressions."

"It's too bad we don't have our brooms," Ron declared, "or we could practice a few moves."

Severus had feared being trapped with the remaining three, and this opportunity to be alone was perfect. Without hesitation he pointed his wand at the floor by the couch. Three broomsticks appeared there. As the teens ran to examine them, he mused that he could have offered them the fastest racing brooms, but they could be bloody grateful for what they had.

"Thanks, Professor!" Ron said fervently. "This is fantastic."

"Yeah, thank you," Harry said.

Ginny was examining the serviceable broomstick in her hand more critically, but she raised her eyes and murmured, "Thank you, Professor Snape." She followed the boys toward the door with a new spring in her step.

Zelda had paused, and here eyes were wide as saucers. "I have to watch, you know," she said apologetically to Hermione. "Just for a few minutes. But would you rather go out and play with them? We can try to make this quick."

Hermione shuddered slightly. "I don't fly," she muttered.

Severus overheard her shamefaced declaration and felt a strange, compassionate urge to spare the wretched girl. "If you wish to talk in here for a few minutes, Zelda, I shall sit outside. I have a great deal to think about."

Zelda smiled and went to him, putting her face up for a brief kiss, which he happily bestowed on her. She was the only one who could make this intense group intimacy bearable to him.

"Go think your deep thoughts and we'll be out shortly. I can't wait to watch the kids fly." She gazed speculatively at him. "Do you...?"

His lip curled. "Only if I must," he replied coldly.

She hugged him before turning back to Hermione, and he slipped outside.

"Zelda, what's happening?" Hermione asked, looking worried.

"You shouldn't know too much, Hermione, but you'll inevitably learn some things as we talk," she said. "Anyway, I want to ask you about Ginny."

"What about her?" Hermione asked nervously.

"I assume she wants to go with you kids, so how angry is she going to be because she's always left behind?"

Hermione's mouth tightened irritably. "I don't like to talk behind their backs about my friends," she declared. "Why are you asking?"

"Molly's worried about her, so I offered to let Ginny come here if things get dangerous," Zelda said. "But she's frustrated and angry about being treated like a child. Also, she wants to be with you three, or more specifically, with Harry."

It was a fair statement, Hermione thought. Ginny was very touchy, and since Harry had broken up with her, things had been awkward.

"She does want to be with Harry," she admitted. "But Dumbledore told Harry he should only talk to Ron and me about the... um, you know."

"Do you agree with that?" asked Zelda gently.

"Definitely, but I feel terrible for Ginny."

"Hermione," Zelda began, "I don't require Ginny to like me, and she seems pretty... strong-willed. But if she's going to stay with me, I need to trust her. I don't think I do, yet, and that worries me. I think she resents Harry's relationships with everyone else, even me, and while that's normal, I don't want her jealousy to risk the job all of you are doing."

"Should I talk to her?" Hermione offered. "I will if it'll help."

"I'm afraid it'll make things worse." Zelda frowned. "Watch out for Harry, though. I've only known him for a short time, but he's not doing well, is he?"

"No, he's not." Hermione sighed in relief. "I've tried talking to Ron about it, but he says he doesn't see anything different. Zelda, I'm worried about Harry. He's so sad, and he must be scared, but he won't talk to me."

"He's male," Zelda replied. "He probably can't stand to sort out his feelings, much less say any of it."

"Boys!" Hermione snorted.

"In some ways they don't evolve much as they age, Hermione," she said ironically. "Let me suggest something. Don't mention Severus to Harry, but if anyone else does mention him, see how Harry reacts."

Hermione smiled knowingly. "I can already guess. They can't ignore each other, and never could. They need each other now, don't they?"

Zelda nodded ruefully. "If they survive this mess, it may kill them to sort out their mutual baggage. But I think Harry's here to reassure himself about Severus being on his side, although he won't admit it. Neither of them has Dumbledore any more."

Hermione sat thoughtfully for a moment, sorting out her impressions.

Zelda, meanwhile, went to the window and looked out. "Hermione, I have to go out and watch them fly," she said.

"Okay, I must be used to magical things now, because it doesn't even seem strange any more. But it's always fascinating to watch."

"But you don't fly?" Zelda asked tentatively.

"No," the girl replied shortly. She hesitated and continued, "Zelda, when you asked Professor Snape if he flies..." She continued slowly, "Before he met you, he'd never have answered that question in front of me. I wonder what the story is."

"He'll tell me if I ask him when we're alone," Zelda said softly. "But he's a stubborn, proud man and I won't ask him again. If he wants to tell me, he will."

They walked out the door, but Hermione put a hand on Zelda's arm to hold her back. "You know, at school there are lots of girls... students, who thought Professor Snape..." she stopped, already regretting that she'd said anything.

Zelda rolled her eyes heavenward. "I can imagine," she said, glancing at him as he sat motionless in the shade. "Do you think he was flattered?"

"He's always been nasty tempered and mean, but he's a great teacher," Hermione replied, shaking her head. "He really knows his stuff, Potions and DADA. I always thought it was, well, disgusting the way some girls talked about him."

"Boarding school must be an interesting experience," Zelda said. "I'm grateful that I teach sixth grade. When students become infatuated with me, they're young and timid enough that I can ignore it. It must be horrid dealing with hormonal teenagers, because they're so much bolder and more creative. Poor Severus."

"Does it happen a lot when you're a teacher?" Hermione asked.

"Even once is too much for me. I hate it when kids are so screwed up and needy."

She smiled cynically. "Often it happens with kids who are disconnected, for some reason, from their peers. Since I'm the ruler in my classroom world, I force them to work with different partners constantly, and I act a bit... nasty. Once they're engaged with their peers they get over it."

"I used to think about becoming a teacher," Hermione mused, "but now I may rather be an Auror. I wish I knew for certain what the right thing is."

Zelda led her away from the cabin, saying, "You're young, Hermione, you shouldn't have to make up your mind now. Besides, even if you make a decision, you have the right to change your mind."

A scream of glee from overhead drew their eyes upward. Three people on brooms raced by in pursuit of a small flying object, disappearing behind the trees.

"Holy shit," Zelda muttered, "They're crazy." She shook her head in disbelief, and said grudgingly, "It must be fun. I've been afraid of heights my whole life, so I'd probably panic and fall off."

"I'm afraid of heights too," Hermione confessed in some relief. "They keep telling me to try it again and I'll love it. It gets irritating."

They were approaching the chair where Severus reclined with his legs stretched out in front of him. His eyes were closed, and his profile was sharp and forbidding, Hermione thought. She watched Zelda smile mischievously as she stopped next to his chair.

"I am awake, my girl," he pronounced icily, without moving a muscle. The corner of his mouth twitched as he sanctimoniously murmured, "I hope you do not plan to disgrace yourself in front of Miss Granger. Remember that a teacher should set a good example."

Zelda's mobile eyebrow rose cynically as she grinned at Hermione. The girl watched them, fascinated.

Under her studious exterior lurked a romantic soul, and she thought these two unromantic, middle-aged people were really sweet together. Seeing Professor Snape with someone he cared for made the starry-eyed girls at school seem clueless and sleazy.

"I wouldn't dream of interrupting your nap," Zelda said gently. She turned, only to feel herself grasped around the waist and swung down into his lap. She gave a small squeak of surprise, and laughed as he kissed her cheek. "Who's setting a bad example now?" she asked.

"How dare you question my actions, woman?" he snarled in mock rage, mimicking nasty old Professor Snape of Hogwarts.

He turned his head and Hermione was amazed to see his black eyes smiling at Zelda, completely at odds with the tone of his voice.

Zelda rolled her eyes at Hermione and kissed Severus's nose. "Behave, dear boy," she said sweetly, moving to another chair next to his. "Sit down, Hermione. I haven't asked you yet about Muggle Studies. Having taken the class, what do you think?"

"Well, parts of it are pretty condescending, like Muggles are children. Also I think if anyone wants to learn about electricity and technical things, that could be taught much later," she mused. "Wizards who've grown up separate from the rest of us need to learn really basic things. What daily life is like, you know?"

"I made some notes yesterday," Zelda said, "and I think I'd start Muggle Studies with a week long series of field trips in London. No wands, riding the Underground, British Museum, a hands-on science center, occasional restaurants and finally, Goddess help us... McDonalds. That sort of thing."

"Zelda," breathed Hermione, "That's wicked. I'm probably the only one in my year who's done all those things. I love it."

"I'd follow that with classroom work and lots of discussion, comparing Muggle history with the Magical History they're learning and analyzing the points of divergence. In the spring," she continued, I think I'd do a bit of environmental science and then offer a Muggle camping trip, no magic, and have the class spend a weekend surviving without magic, far from the madding crowd."

"What else do you envision?" Severus asked with a smirk.

"Older students could intern in the Muggle world in a more specialized setting, according to their specific interests. Possibly they could arrange to do a 'study abroad' in the Muggle World and live with ordinary Muggles. Maybe in other countries," she finished. "But these are just some of my first ideas."

"That's incredible! I think Muggle Studies would be really popular," Hermione said enthusiastically. "You could show them CD players and your laptop too."

"This is exactly why the Ministry of Magic would fight tooth and nail to prevent such a class from being taught," Severus said cynically.

"But why, Professor?" Hermione asked in shock. "They always talk about cooperation between the two worlds!"

"Ah, I think I see," Zelda said. "Talk is cheap, but too much actual understanding would rock the boat."

"But if pure-blood idiots were exposed to cool, interesting things about Muggles, instead of their parents' bigotry..." Hermione fell silent; remembering suddenly the Head of the pure-blood idiot House was sitting in front of her.

Severus smiled sardonically. "Do you believe any class could make Miss Parkinson, Crabbe or Goyle appreciate Muggles?"

She instantly replied, "Yes, I do. Those who know about both worlds are lucky. For kids, the wizarding world can be pretty oppressive. Muggles are better at having fun. I think if Pansy Parkinson went to movies and shopping in Muggle London, she'd forget her stupid ideas and loosen up. I can't see it working on... /Malfoy/, but for many of them I think it would've been great."

Her mention of Draco Malfoy reminded Severus of the boy and his mother. They were in complete isolation, and the boy was soul-sick and shattered after the scene in the Astronomy Tower.

It was imperative that Severus not lead enemies to them, and Merlin knew he loathed dealing with /emotions/, but he wondered how the boy was. A seventeen-year-old bearing the Dark Mark would have to fight every summons.

Lucius had warped the boy, and Narcissa was not strong enough to provide much support. Once again, he mused, it came down to choices. Perhaps Draco Malfoy would choose correctly before it was too late.
Sign up to rate and review this story